Thurs Minicamp report

bfw1234

and why exactly isnt Spiller an everydown back?

Because Gaily has said as much ...

I forget the article or quote but the idea is he's going to play less than 50% of the offensive snaps. Hard to be an every down back when you're not on the field.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, since someone asked about what "bump" means I'd like to ask what a "LAMP" post means? I've seen it in subject lines from time to time and I have no idea what it means outside of Linux Apache Mysql Php. It's really been bugging me for a while.

Thanks!

Because he is the size of a cb.

5-11 200 lbs, is the same size as thurman thomas

for a present day comparison:

jamaal charles is 5-11 199 lbs,

frank gore is 5-9 217 lbs,

chris johnson 5-11 200 lbs,

felix jones 6ft 215lbs,

knowshon moreno 5-11 210 lbs,

jerious norwood 5-11 209 lbs,

ray rice 5-8 210.

So does that mean all these players cannot be successful bellcow rbs?

Stop paying attention to the size, Spiller was the bellcow for clemson last yr and did fine, he was their only playmaker.

keeping in mind that almost every team utilizes a 2 back system, there is no good reason to think that eventually, CJ won't become the primary RB in buffalo.

My prediction is that Marshawn Lynch will be the starting Runningback game one. He's younger stronger and equalily as fast as Fred Jackson. The only competition to Marshawn is CJ Spiller in my opinion.

"Reggie Torbor continued to get more snaps than Aaron Maybin with the starters at outside linebacker"

Maybin is fast shaping up to be one of the biggest 1st round busts in bills history.

It's the revenge of Jauron. That guy, along with Ralph and Brandon, had no business being around a draft room. He is looking bust-like.

It's the revenge of Jauron. That guy, along with Ralph and Brandon, had no business being around a draft room. He is looking bust-like.

Actually what they are doing is to prepare Torbor to play the run downs and Maybin to play the pass downs, so we have another veteran who has actually played the position before early in the season on early downs. It's a smart move. Maybin is going to see the field plenty. We'll just have to wait and see whether or not he's going to be an effective pass rusher.

Actually what they are doing is to prepare Torbor to play the run downs and Maybin to play the pass downs, so we have another veteran who has actually played the position before early in the season on early downs. It's a smart move. Maybin is going to see the field plenty. We'll just have to wait and see whether or not he's going to be an effective pass rusher.

I don't think Torbor needs any work playing the run as he's probably more adept at that phase than in coverage. Additionally, he's more stout at the POA than Maybin will probably ever be.

I don't doubt that they're giving guys looks to see who fares better. But the fact that a former first round pick, despite changing positions, is not an every down starter remains troubling to me.

Okay, since someone asked about what "bump" means I'd like to ask what a "LAMP" post means? I've seen it in subject lines from time to time and I have no idea what it means outside of Linux Apache Mysql Php. It's really been bugging me for a while.

Thanks!

LAMP =Look At Me Post

If I chimed in on this thread and said something like "I don't really care who starts at QB for the Bills, any of them will look great on my new 72 inch 3D television," that would be a look at me post.

I don't think Torbor needs any work playing the run as he's probably more adept at that phase than in coverage. Additionally, he's more stout at the POA than Maybin will probably ever be.

I don't doubt that they're giving guys looks to see who fares better. But the fact that a former first round pick, despite changing positions, is not an every down starter remains troubling to me.

He may well be bust. He may eventually be great. The pertinent facts are that he basically played one year at Penn State, at DE, and was drafted at 21 years old. Not only raw and inexperienced but a year younger, too. This should be his rookie year.

Now he is in a completely new position. We had no OLB who had ever played OLB before until Torbor came on board, and the DC was his position coach last year in Miami and obviously knows exactly what he brings to the table. With changing coaches and schemes on both sides of the ball, it would seem rather prudent for the first few games to get another veteran in there, rather than throw the kid to the wolves.

If Maybin is not an every down LB next season, I would start to worry. If he gets pressure on the QB while blitzing on passing downs, and we get solid unspectacular efficiency out of Torbor until Maybin learns the position and the game and gets experience, we're a better team.

Maybin doesn't at all need to be an every down player right now. He needs to get a bunch of pressures and 6-8 sacks on passing downs.

How big was Thurman? 5'10" 200lbs?

Thurman had a thicker build than Spiller does. I am not sure he cant be an every down back, but he wasnt as big as Drayton Florence when I saw the two of them standing next to each other from a very close distance.

LAMP =Look At Me Post

If I chimed in on this thread and said something like "I don't really care who starts at QB for the Bills, any of them will look great on my new 72 inch 3D television," that would be a look at me post.

Ah! I see. Thanks Matt, I appreciate the answer! Like I said, it has really been bugging me. I even googled it but came up empty.

:w00t:

elaborate on that, he has the size to play 3 downs, so why wont he ever be primary, if anything, by the end of the year fred will be back to his 3rd down role.

His small frame can't handle the pounding. Think of him like a Warrick Dunn or Reggie Bush. Great players, just not big enough to be an everydown player.

"Reggie Torbor continued to get more snaps than Aaron Maybin with the starters at outside linebacker"

Maybin is fast shaping up to be one of the biggest 1st round busts in bills history.

You can't be very old if you think Maybin is worst draft bust in Bills history. First of all, not to make excuses for Maybin, but our very own hall of famer Bruce Smith was a total bust his first season. Sometimes it takes a year for the light to turn on. Not calling Maybin a HOF'er, just saying it's a little early to give up on him. Let's see what he does this year.

As for historic busts, it would be hard to top names like Walt Patulski and Tom Cousineau. Mike Williams and Erik Flowers are contenders for the top bust in history as well. Maybin? Not even close...yet.

PTR

I say it with pride: I was also clueless. You learn something every day. What does OP mean? Original poster? I'n not ashamed to admit I need remedial work.

Yup. Some people say OP ( Original Poster) while others use the abbreviation TS (Thread Starter).

His small frame can't handle the pounding. Think of him like a Warrick Dunn or Reggie Bush. Great players, just not big enough to be an everydown player.

his small frame? he's the same size as thurman, and many others who are primary backs.

I understand you are a pessimist and love to find things to complain about, but at least check the stats and #'s. As a senior, he was the primary back carried it 216 times over 14 games (5.6 ypc). He has proven he can handle the workload.

again, find me a team that doesnt utilize a 2 back system. Spiller will ultimately be a good 1st and 2nd down rb, and probably flex out on 3rd downs or when FJ or ML comes in. Either way, he will prove he can be the primary RB for this team.