New QB in big B

Gosh, good eye. I've had my eye on Troy Smith for a while as well. I'm biased tho cause I like the Buckeyes. If Troy could be had for something minimal and Chan thinks he can mold him into something worthwhile then, perhaps, just maybe, possibly... I think Chan has thought about it, but he hasn't pulled the trigger to make it happen so i doubt it will. I would certainly be intrigued if Troy came to us though. But if Chan overpaid i would be a bit upset. Troy still has promise.

id love to have him on this roster...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there could be more than 20+ additional scrub QB's cut over the next few month we should consolidate the QB free agent du jour list into one thread.

Hey TSW, we need to get __________ (insert name below)

McNabb (the only one worth a damn)

Campbell

Losman

Troy Smith

Bulger

Thigpen

Charlie Batch

Kyle Boller

David Carr

Brodie Croyle

Daunte Culpepper

Charlie Frye

Rex Grossman

Joey Harrington

Jon Kitna

Chris Redman

Brett Ratliff

-------------------------

Reply- No _________(same name as above) sucks and we already have 4 projects....

You forgot to add: We could get him really cheap, and for that price it's worth a shot to see if he develops.

I tend to enjoy bringing up marvelous blasts from the past on these special occasions.

When these threads pop up, I like to open a bottle of good 'ol #7... yep you guessed it - Bruce Mathison. I heard he could be had really cheap, and is looking to resurrect his career, plus he's better than anyone currently on the roster. There...i covered all the angles, and managed to work Bruce Mathison into a thread.

If Roscoe could consistently throw for over 30 yards plus to make the D honest, then i would consider your idea Hossage.

For what its worth, he did play QB in high school. http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-f...h_roscoe00.html

...was perhaps the most explosive running and passing quarterback in Florida during the 2000 season, passing for 2,201 yards and rushing for 613 yards...a first-team Class 6A selection in 2000...during his junior season of 1999, passed for 1,400 yards and 10 touchdowns with just five interceptions while completing 78 of 136 passes...

Yes mpl. would be open to his consideration at a low minimilized price. Considering we don't have pro bowl qb's on hand, nothing wrong with being open minded to a former college all pro. Not saying he will light it up ever. But you should never be close minded if the price is right. In this case the price would prolly be quite low. So not much to complain about.

Huh??

Smith was only moved to #2 because Flacco played even better and the team started winning more.

Since there could be more than 20+ additional scrub QB's cut over the next few month we should consolidate the QB free agent de jour list into one thread.

Campbell

Losman

Troy Smith

Bulger

Thigpen

Charlie Batch

Kyle Boller

David Carr

Brodie Croyle

Daunte Culpepper

Charlie Frye

Rex Grossman

Joey Harrington

Jon Kitna

Chris Redman

Brett Ratliff

Reply- No _________(same name as above) sucks and we already have 4 projects....

OH NO YOU DIDN"T!!! Great post. Also, do some on this board not understand what coach speak is??? Like when Jauron (or any other coach) says: "we really like the players we have." Or when Chan says "We like our QB's and feel like one of them will emerge as the starter" C'mon it's coachspeak. What is a coach gonna say??

Since there could be more than 20+ additional scrub QB's cut over the next few month we should consolidate the QB free agent de jour list into one thread.

Campbell

Losman

Troy Smith

Bulger

Thigpen

Charlie Batch

Kyle Boller

David Carr

Brodie Croyle

Daunte Culpepper

Charlie Frye

Rex Grossman

Joey Harrington

Jon Kitna

Chris Redman

Brett Ratliff

Sadly, most of the QBs on your list are as good or better than Trent or Fitz. (Still don;t know enough about Brohm or Brown to rank them).

It is amazing to me some of the clowns on this board. We have a stable full of QBs that have proved that can't win a damn thing and there is a guy out there that could bring a sliver of hope to this team and we think we're all set. I'll skip the history lesson again but Troy Smith was the starter in Baltimore before the freak form of tonsillitis and Joe Flacco doing well enough to keep the job.

He has skills. Had a better arm than anyone on the roster and he can move! Why would we want to put any more talent on this team to create more competition at a very weak position? *sheesh*

It is amazing to me some of the clowns on this board. We have a stable full of QBs that have proved that can't win a damn thing and there is a guy out there that could bring a sliver of hope to this team and we think we're all set. I'll skip the history lesson again but Troy Smith was the starter in Baltimore before the freak form of tonsillitis and Joe Flacco doing well enough to keep the job.

He has skills. Had a better arm than anyone on the roster and he can move! Why would we want to put any more talent on this team to create more competition at a very weak position? *sheesh*

Agreed! I think we've all pretty much have had enough of watching Trent Edwards fail. Any fans still holding out hope for him is in denial at this point. I'm a Bills fan, I want to watch them score touchdowns this season. I would absolutely love it if the Bills gave Troy Smith a shot. He's athletic and his arm has got to be at least twice as good as Edwards.

Gosh, good eye. I've had my eye on Troy Smith for a while as well. I'm biased tho cause I like the Buckeyes. If Troy could be had for something minimal and Chan thinks he can mold him into something worthwhile then, perhaps, just maybe, possibly... I think Chan has thought about it, but he hasn't pulled the trigger to make it happen so i doubt it will. I would certainly be intrigued if Troy came to us though. But if Chan overpaid i would be a bit upset. Troy still has promise.

Can't argue with him having promise. Entering his 4th season, he's only launched 89 passes, with 2 starts in the 14 games he appeared in.

He certainly was a good college QB. With OSU...a perennial powerhouse (recent bowl games notwithstanding) with overall very good talent on both sides of the ball, year after year. They of course are a desired destination for top high schoolers, and have the advantage of drawing from a State that's one of the high school football hotbeds.

I've no idea if he carries contract baggage.

I was all for trying to get him earlier.

He did not suck in Baltimore, he did well (but not great) in a few seasons in Baltimore, he got sick in the offseason and had to be replaced with Joe Flacco who lit it up as the starter and they couldn't go back to Smith. Smith was only moved to #2 because Flacco played even better and the team started winning more.

Why not bring him in?

I might be wrong on this, but I don't think troy Smith ever went into a season as the starter for the Ravens. In fact I don't think he's played in more than a game or two.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, especially in this thread, but I don't think Smith could beat out Brohm for a spot on the roster. At this point, I'm pretty OK with letting the three guys we have duke it out for starts this year and focus on that next offseason. If you bring in another QB now, it makes it that much harder to get the other QBs prepared for the season, let alone Smith.

Why are you still predicting new quarterbacks coming to the Bills this season? Chan is set at QB, end of story. He and his "OC" Modkins, and QB coach What's His Name, from Canada, are all convinced they have the answers to bring out the "NFL Starting caliber" out of one of these four guys already on the roster. Please stop thinking Buddy is even interested in adding anyone else for 2010.

As unlikely as it may be for another QB to be added to the Bills roster this year, I think the fans are just bored with the Bills offseason and lackluster initiative to do anything outside of the draft. So it becomes hard to face the probable notion that we are stuck with these 4 QB's for the season regardless of other outside developments in the NFL. Even though its all suppose to be even-steven for the 3 QB's vying for the starting job, I think you can take it to the bank that Trent Edwards

will be the starter (like it or not) in September. I just hope he clearly distinguished himself as a good QB or lousy QB right from the first snap of the first game! I don't want to see him play marginally and hang on to the starting job all year even though we're losing. Just go one way or the other (hopefully do great!) so we finally have a dependable starter or play so rotten so we can dispose of you and move in another direction.

On another note...If the Bills QB's all fail this year, and our OLT position still struggles...you know what that means for the 2011 NFL Draft don't you????

It means the Bills will draft a CB with their 1st pick in the 2011 NFL Draft !!!!! (Sarcasm)...lol, but maybe not seeing how we choose a RB this year! Go back to January and at that time if someone said we'll pick a RB with our 1st pick you'd probably tell them their nuts, and how we need a OLT, QB, DT/NT, WR, & LB's all before a RB! But they still did it...and the organization has convinced many fans that it's good medicine for you to swallow...and a lot of fans have swallowed it and

are fine with the pick. (But not me...) I personally think it was insane! 0:)

Smith has certainly improved since Ohio State, where he had two left arms. He is a clutch player and has deceptive athleticism. Let him run the single wing.

Where has he improved? He hasn't hardly even played in Baltimore. Was it the whopping 24 yards passing he had in 2009? He is one of the shortest QBs in the NFL with one of the weakest arms, and alot of reports say he has a bad attitude to go with these shortcomings. So basically he is Ryan Fitzpatrick with a bad attitude, so yea lets go grab him. He won't be coming here, Gailey sounds like he is set with the little bit he has, and Smith would be lucky to compete for #3 job here,

Where has he improved? He hasn't hardly even played in Baltimore. Was it the whopping 24 yards passing he had in 2009? He is one of the shortest QBs in the NFL with one of the weakest arms, and alot of reports say he has a bad attitude to go with these shortcomings. So basically he is Ryan Fitzpatrick with a bad attitude, so yea lets go grab him. He won't be coming here, Gailey sounds like he is set with the little bit he has, and Smith would be lucky to compete for #3 job here,

Would you use the 24 yards he had in 2009 or the 450 he had in 2007 to evaluate him?

We have already got 4 developmental QB's...why would we add a 5th before we have figured out how these guys can do in his offense?

Troy Smith was terrible at OSU and terrible in Baltimore, yeah yeah he "had" the job if he did not get sick, the guy is VY without the athletic ability, side arm trash.

Would you use the 24 yards he had in 2009 or the 450 he had in 2007 to evaluate him?

He doesn't look better with the 450 yard season. Two starts. Horrible completion percentage. Horrible YPA.

The argument that he was "the starter" in Baltimore before he got sick is inaccurate (he never started a game with Flacco on the roster) and is pointless anyway. he got beat out by a better QB--simple.

Some of you can imagine how great he would have been, but there is nothing in his pro experience to suggest this would have been true.

Troy Smith? Boy are we desperate for a QB or what? The guy sucked as a passer even at Ohio State and now you want him? You have to be kidding...

^^ Very hard to argue this point. ^^

I challenge anyone to show me a QB who could have performed at a high level last year with all the issues related to the offense. We all know what happened last year, no need to recap that monkey F@#king a football. Neither Joe Montana or Steve Young could have done better in their prime. Need an example? Look up Steve Young's Tampa career.

Forget Masoli, I'll tell you who we may see in blue pretty soon. Troy Smith. Baltimore just signed Marc Bulger to a 1 year $3.8 million deal, according to ESPN. That clears the way for Smith to get out of town like he's wanted for awhile now. And he'll certainly look our way if he does become free.

He'd be the favorite to take over Chan's O in my opinion. And he'd probably come cheaper than Fitzpatrick or at least in the same ballpark. Lee could finally see an accurate deep ball again. And this guy's actually avoided a pass rush in the past, which is interesting...

Cheers :w00t:

Why are you still predicting new quarterbacks coming to the Bills this season? Chan is set at QB, end of story. He and his "OC" Modkins, and QB coach What's His Name, from Canada, are all convinced they have the answers to bring out the "NFL Starting caliber" out of one of these four guys already on the roster. Please stop thinking Buddy is even interested in adding anyone else for 2010.

I agree. Unless a proven solid starter becomes available I can't see Buffalo picking anyone else up. IMO, Edwards and Brown are locks to make the team.That leaves Fitz and Brohm fighting for a job. I think the Bills might be able to trade one of those guys for a seventh rounder.

I agree. Unless a proven solid starter becomes available I can't see Buffalo picking anyone else up. IMO, Edwards and Brown are locks to make the team.That leaves Fitz and Brohm fighting for a job. I think the Bills might be able to trade one of those guys for a seventh rounder.

There is no one that will come available that will be worth picking up before training camp. Why people are even speculating that in this thread is puzzling. The FO has been crystal clear that they like the potential of some of our guys with Chan here and want to see what they can do first. So I agree with you mostly on that part...

But, how can you say Brown is a "lock" to make the team when he is by far the most likely candidate to be put on the PS of the 4 QB's? Right now, its pretty clear that Brohm and Trent are battling for the #1 spot more so than Fitz really is. In fact, about the only QB who is a lock to make the active roster is Brohm because he is a guy with a lot of upside that has been making good strides and improving. Even if he doesnt get named the week 1 starter, they are not going to just abandon trying to develop him.

Fitz is in the most danger because he really is limited as a QB and is paid the most. Trent isnt a lock either because if Brohm wins the #1 job he may very well be the guy cut to show Brohm they are behind him and dont want any QB controversies as he starts his career.

So, as I see it, Brohm is the closest thing to a lock to make the team (because of his potential) unless he comes out in training camp and is atrocious in camp and preseason, which doesnt seem likely as he has been improving and showing signs of his potential thus far.