How Many People Were Screaming For Whitehurst?

H2o

The Tacoma News Tribune believes J.P. Losman is "far closer to being a game-ready productive quarterback" than Charlie Whitehurst.

Yikes. Losman spent the 2009 season in the UFL after sporting a 2:5 TD-to-INT ratio and 5.6 YPA in five games with the Bills the year before. The Seahawks new regime may have had a fine draft, but Chargers GM A.J. Smith pulled the wool over their eyes on Whitehurst. Assuming he stays healthy (a big "if"), Matt Hasselbeck may play out the 2010 season after all.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

What a surprise, AJ Smith appears to have gotten the better end of the deal. Whitehurst is collecting 10 million over the next 2 or 3 years to be 3rd string, and it looks like this year it will be 3rd string behind Losman. That should tell you all something. I remember quite a few people wetting the bed around here over Charlie and, though it's early, he now doesn't appear able to fight off another Buffalo reject for the #2 job in Seattle. JP Losman > Charlie Whitehurst? Glad we didn't make that deal.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a surprise, AJ Smith appears to have gotten the better end of the deal. Whitehurst is collecting 10 million over the next 2 or 3 years to be 3rd string, and it looks like this year it will be 3rd string behind Losman. That should tell you all something. I remember quite a few people wetting the bed around here over Charlie and, though it's early, he now doesn't appear able to fight off another Buffalo reject for the #2 job in Seattle. JP Losman > Charlie Whitehurst? Glad we didn't make that deal.

Just wait until you see Jason Campbell with the Raiders...I'm sure this will be another deal we are glad we didn't make.

JP would make a solid backup the problem was that he never thought of himself as a backup because he was the annointed starter in Buffalo.

There was never a clamor for pursuing Whitehurst here. That is just a figment of your imagination. Isn't it a little early to assess any player at this point? Players are playing in shorts during OTAs and trainng camp hasn't started yet. You are right that most analysts felt that Seattle paid way too much for the qb acquisition. Seattle believed that they had to add another qb to their roster because there was some concern about Hasselbeck's health and durability.

Just wait until you see Jason Campbell with the Raiders...I'm sure this will be another deal we are glad we didn't make.

JP would make a solid backup the problem was that he never thought of himself as a backup because he was the annointed starter in Buffalo.

You have to put the Raiders's acquisition in perspective. Jason Campbell is replacing JaMarcus Russell. That is a tremendous upgrade. In addition, the Raiders got him for virtually nothing. If you put Campbell in a simplified system where he doesn't have to make a lot of reads he can be effective. A deal which can be productive for the Raiders doesn't necessarily mean that it is the right thing to do for the Bills.

They were clowns. The guy we should have been after in the off season was Jason Campbell. End of story. The guy was by far the most statistically accomplished QB out there. He was a 3 year+ starter. His numbers improved every year. He was surrounded by a weak cast but still kept quite, was a company man and didn't get into trouble off field.

I'm glad to hear that about JP. We dumped him way to early for a ball less supposedly smart chump named Edwards.

None that I remember.

A thread or two maybe, but no screaming.

Standard tactic. Create a bogeyman which never existed and rail against it. When the facts aren't aligned to your view, that is no problem. Just go ahead and create your own facts. :w00t:

None that I remember.

A thread or two maybe, but no screaming.

Not a player is traded, cut or waived in the NFL that someone here doesn't say we need to sign them. But you are right saying there wasn't any screaming for CW.

But I do recall people screaming about Ralph Wilson not making bold moves like the Seahawks did hiring Pete Carroll as head coach. How do you think that's working out for them? Trade for LenDale White, he gets cut. Trade for Charlie Whitehurst and he's a dud before training camp even starts. Even the Bills FO on their worst day haven't pulled two major boners like this in one off-season.

PTR

I did not know Buffalo was even interested? Who the heck was screaming for Charlie Whitehurst? :w00t:

I don't remember much rumbling about Whitehurst outside of the NFL Network when the deal went down. I could be wrong, and maybe he'll turn out to be real good...But getting excited about Charlie Whitehurst? Really? :o

There was never a clamor for pursuing Whitehurst here. That is just a figment of your imagination. Isn't it a little early to assess any player at this point? Players are playing in shorts during OTAs and trainng camp hasn't started yet. You are right that most analysts felt that Seattle paid way too much for the qb acquisition. Seattle believed that they had to add another qb to their roster because there was some concern about Hasselbeck's health and durability.

You're correct. However, there was a spurt of "Nix ain't gettin' 'er done" criticism when Whitehurst was traded. My guess is that came from the "usual suspects" who always believe every other team in the league is smarter, stronger, sharper, faster, better informed than the Bills front office.

It was a head scratcher that Seattle gave up that much and paid a QB that much for having done nothing at all in the NFL. Kinda their version of the Rob Johnson trade and signing.

You have to put the Raiders's acquisition in perspective. Jason Campbell is replacing JaMarcus Russell. That is a tremendous upgrade. In addition, the Raiders got him for virtually nothing. If you put Campbell in a simplified system where he doesn't have to make a lot of reads he can be effective. A deal which can be productive for the Raiders doesn't necessarily mean that it is the right thing to do for the Bills.

You won't know if it is an upgrade at all until he performs as such, much less a "tremendous" upgrade. Don't be a bit surprised if he doesn't do a whole lot better than Russell did in Oakland, that is a disfunctional franchise, much like ours is and has been for years, with an owner that his useful days are in the past, way in the past.

+1

Most people were like Huh? Who? on the few threads that did pop up.

Just because a guy is #3 on the depth chart at QB doesn't mean he is worthless. CW only has two games under his belt at SD and could still be developing, going into his fourth year now isn't he?

Looking at the QB situation in Seattle the last few years it makes sense for them to get some decent depth at QB considering how often Matt Hasselbeck is injured. Props to JP if he ends up taking that job in Seattle.

Without a doubt, Campbell was the QB we should have picked up. Instant upgrade! I think Gailey has the coaches ego and thinks he can be the one to make Trent Edwards or Brohm a productive QB. Lets hope he is right? Just don't know why the brass didn't get Campbell. It wouldn't have cost us much?

Bad move IMO.

OK "Screaming For" might have not been the correct phrase, but I remember a number of posts bringing up his name as possibly being the answer to our QB problems. Right after Nix was hired we were going after every SD player out there. I was glad we never went after the guy and to hear this now makes all the more sense as to why we did not.

We join in thread after thread denying sports reporters' and TV analysts player e v a l skills, yet we seem to run wild with their bits of wisdom whenever we get the chance. :o I can't wait for the off season to be done with so we can stop making ourselves nutty!

FWIW, here's the whole fact-filled paragraph that rotoworld summed up and passed along as if it was from PC himself. It's from that world-famous football expert Dave Boling (no disrespect, but . . . ) of the Tacoma News Tribune . . .

At quarterback, Whitehurst had a pretty nice series in a two-minute session, but he threw two picks in the Red Zone, too. For my money, and I think I've seen every OTA session that has been open to us, I think JP Losman is far closer to being a game-ready productive quarterback than Whitehurst. Losman really has a big-time arm on him, and an awful lot of experience.

This keeps up and I'll end up watching World Cup instead of visiting my favorite website forum!!!! :w00t:

They were clowns. The guy we should have been after in the off season was Jason Campbell. End of story. The guy was by far the most statistically accomplished QB out there. He was a 3 year+ starter. His numbers improved every year. He was surrounded by a weak cast but still kept quite, was a company man and didn't get into trouble off field.

I'm glad to hear that about JP. We dumped him way to early for a ball less supposedly smart chump named Edwards.

Just because Edwards struggled last year, let's not get things twisted. Losman was a very bad NFL QB and keep regressing. I'd still rather have Edwards over Losman (though I'd rather have neither). JP was painful to watch at the end.

As for Whitehurst, it was a raping by the Chargers. I remember every year in college, there would be hype around him and every year, he'd been a pretty average QB. I never saw anything special about the guy ever. So saying the Losman is better than a nobody like Whitehurst doesn't say much. That said, Losman is going to fight for his life to get a roster spot.

Without a doubt, Campbell was the QB we should have picked up. Instant upgrade! I think Gailey has the coaches ego and thinks he can be the one to make Trent Edwards or Brohm a productive QB. Lets hope he is right? Just don't know why the brass didn't get Campbell. It wouldn't have cost us much?

Bad move IMO.

I was definitely on the Campbell bandwagon. He has improved every year in the league and I thought Gailey could use it well. However, I guess the Bills are really valuing draft picks and will take a look at what we have hear. I really believe they didn't like any of the top QBs in this year's draft and we looking forward to next year's class if our guys fail.