Who wins the battle at the #2 WR position?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The killer E's

Lee Evans #1

Marcus Easley #2 From the highlights I've seen he just looks smooth.

Felton Huggins #3 My surprise player this year! Why? I have no idea!

Steve Johnson #4 Will see plenty of playing time

James Hardy #5 Not yet convinced that his lumbering ways are behind him. YET.

Naaman Roosevelt PS

Gone...

C.J. Hawthrone Just a notch below the rest.

Chad Jackson We hardly knew ye.

Donald Jones Who?

David Nelson Who II?

Roscoe Parrish The experiment should have been over 2 years ago. It ends this year.

Currently there are 11 WR's on the Bills roster. Out of those 11, who do you feel will will make the team and what WR position will they have?

Marcus Easley

Lee Evans

James Hardy

C.J. Hawthrone

Felton Huggins

Chad Jackson

Steve Johnson

Donald Jones

David Nelson

Roscoe Parrish

Naaman Roosevelt

I forgot about Roscoe in my earlier post, so I closed that thread. Here's my list to start the season:

#1WR: Lee Evans

#2WR: James Hardy

#3WR: Roscoe Parrish

#4WR: Marcus Easley

#5WR: Steve Johnson

Extra WR they keep (healthy scratch on game day): Chad Jackson

Practice Squad: Felton Huggins

The rest will be cut.

Comments...

This will be a very telling year for Evans...as you can tell, I'm not sold on him...still! He makes #1 money and has a #1's peed, but he lacks the size to the "go get the ball wherever it is" mentality. To me, he' a good #2 and an even better #3. He's got the quickness to be a possession receiver as he can beat any man on the opposing side to the spot and make the grab, and with his speed, he might look like Wes Welker on speed, where he catches the short 3-5 yrd pass and turns it up for 12-20 and break one once in a while. That being said, he's comparable to Roscoe, who I believe is better in the open field, and even faster. I'd even go so far to say that if he doesn't come out of the block hard and fast, he may not finish the season a Bill.

It's known that Gailey & Nix both like bigger men on the edges...a la Hardy & Easley/Johnson. Easley, from what I read, is catching on quick and running very crisp routes, so I wouldn't be surprised if he cracks the starting line up. Hardy and Johnson are question marks due to Hardy's injury and the fact that Johnson never really got a fair shake from that joke of a coaching staff that was here.

All in all, here is good depth @ WR which is going t promote some real good, healthy competition ofr a spot on the field. I'm actually excited to see how it plays out as I think it's a strength on this team this year. And it's about time we have a position on the offensive side of the ball to consider a strength.

In a perfect world:

1 Hardy

2 Easley

3 Evans

4 Johnson

5 Parrish

I'd love to see Reevis cover someone that is a foot taller than him, and I would love it more to see Evans/Parrish torch people out of the slot. :unsure:

I think Gailey will be focusing more on packages and exploiting match ups so "ranking" the WR might not really be the way he is looking at it. I think this is pretty easy.

Evans #1

Hardy #2 (Hardy kicks inside on 3 WR sets.)

Easley #3 (I think he has only been lining up outside. Comes in on 3WR sets, or run blocking formation in 2WR sets **)

Parrish #4 (In my opinion still a gadget player who could achieve some success in the slot if Gailey gets creative)

Chad Jackson #5 (Has made some catches in preseason and has blazing speed over Johnson)

Steve Johnson #6 (Looks like a solid player but I haven't heard any buzz about him this year)

** Easley played in a running offense for most of his college career and should be a polished run blocker.

I think Hardy starts the season as the #2 guy and will be in there the majority of the snaps on passing downs. Parrish will start the season in the slot in 3 WR sets. Evans will obviously be the #1. But I expect Gailey to sprinkle in various combinations of Hardy, Parrish, Johnson and Easley alongside Evans throughout the games and season, as well as Nelson and Spiller split out wide. It could be fun to watch. I could even imagine him taking Evans out for a play or two and going with a tall line-up of Hardy, Easley and Nelson all wide in the redzone.

I think Gailey will be focusing more on packages and exploiting match ups so "ranking" the WR might not really be the way he is looking at it. I think this is pretty easy.

Evans #1

Easley #3 (I think he has only been lining up outside. Comes in on 3WR sets, or run blocking formation in 2WR sets **)

Parrish #4 (In my opinion still a gadget player who could achieve some success in the slot if Gailey gets creative)

Chad Jackson #5 (Has made some catches in preseason and has blazing speed over Johnson)

Steve Johnson #6 (Looks like a solid player but I haven't heard any buzz about him this year)

** Easley played in a running offense for most of his college career and should be a polished run blocker.

With the current NFL rules, and teams using 3 wideouts with some consistency, I'm not sure that #1, #2 #3 have all that much meaning.

Common usage would have the Pats'* Welker as #2 and Moss as #1. I don't see that - I'd dub Welker as #1 if I had to name one. Same with CIN when they had Housh and Chad Johnson.

To me, a "#1" receiver is the one that you toss to that has the skills, hands and moves to be the best bet for a completion. And it can be a running back - Larry Centers and his 80 receptions in 2001, for example.

I think Hardy starts the season as the #2 guy and will be in there the majority of the snaps on passing downs. Parrish will start the season in the slot in 3 WR sets. Evans will obviously be the #1. But I expect Gailey to sprinkle in various combinations of Hardy, Parrish, Johnson and Easley alongside Evans throughout the games and season, as well as Nelson and Spiller split out wide. It could be fun to watch. I could even imagine him taking Evans out for a play or two and going with a tall line-up of Hardy, Easley and Nelson all wide in the redzone.

That would be great to see. I'm glad the Bills have finally gotten taller targets over the last couple of years.

I forgot about Roscoe in my earlier post, so I closed that thread. Here's my list to start the season:

#1WR: Lee Evans

#2WR: James Hardy

#3WR: Roscoe Parrish

#4WR: Marcus Easley

#5WR: Steve Johnson

Extra WR they keep (healthy scratch on game day): Chad Jackson

Practice Squad: Felton Huggins

The rest will be cut.

Comments...

I agree with who you say will be kept...I also think it will be Evans as the #1 (obviously) and agree Parrish will be the #3 given how impressive he is apparently being in the new offense during OTA's. I think Chan can finanlly take advantage of his skill set...on another team this guy would have been much better utilized.

I honestly cant decide who the #2 will be. Hardy is intriguing given his size, but has been a poor route runner in his young career, so I have a hard time naming him the #2 right now until he shows the consistency in his routes. Steve has shown some skill and has good size too and I think he has the potential to win the job.

Easley is a dark horse and a prospect that I like too...although, its more likely Hardy or Steve win this job to start the season, I dont think either has a firm enough grasp on it to hold off Easley if he has a big camp.

My gut tells me Hardy gets the first crack at it, especially if its close, given his higher draft status and exceptional size as long as he gets better on his routes. I think for Steve or Easley to get the job they will have to really out play Hardy first...if its close, Hardy gets the initial nod.

Pretty good assessments/guesses so far -- hard to argue about any of the thoughts.

But which two will catch more passes than Spiller?

I think only:

Evans

Easley

And I'm still thinking Parrish and/or one of our other return guys (dbs?) is gone before the reg season starts.

I'm glad that Nix & Gailey have brought in a ton of guys to compete for jobs. It's nice to see guys competing hard and trying to earn a spot on the roster, espcially at the WR position.

Initially I was not happy about the Gailey hiring, and that had a lot to do with the names that were being tossed around as potential HC here before his hiring.

But I can honestly say that shortly there after I bought into it and he and Nix continue to strengthen that view for me. I really feel like they are doing a lot of good things with this team, liked some of the signings (especially Davis), love the D switch, was very happy with the draft, and really like how he has been handling this team.

I just feel like for the first time in a long time our young guys top to bottom are finally getting a chance to develop, get some experience and compete. Why draft them if we dont play or develop them. Its like the training wheels have been taken off...

Only time will tell, but so far, I really like how he is handling all the position battles and the potential of some of the guys in these battles. More importantly, I feel like Gailey is going to actually use his young weapons rather than have them be occassional decoys.

CIN has stocked on wrs. They'll carry six. FWIW, I expect Matt Jones and bust #2 '08 pick Jerome Simpson, Maurice Purify (he's nuts) and Freddie Brown to get axed. The Simpson pick was a jaw-dropper locally, right up there with rb Chris Perry in '04 and rb Kenny Irons in '07 - huge hands, can leap to the moon, but evidently can't run routes.

BUF might want to take a look-see.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Ten-...29-0b465b932501

Evans #1

I think you hit the nail on the head here. We are going to be a match up offense and who's going to play each week is going to depend on the competition. If we are playing a bunch of small DBs, look for him to go tall on more plays than normal, if the DBs are slow, look for them to go fast more than normal.

I think it's going to be refreshing (assuming it pans out this way) to see the offense make adjustments throughout the game to take advantage of the opponent's weaknesses. Kind of like what the Pats do to us every year.

The rest will be cut.

Comments...

I dunno...I have always liked Naaman Roosevelt..dude just seems to have a knack for the big play regardless of what level of competition they were playing. Made big plays against good teams too. I think he is one to watch...perhaps practice squad this year...he just seems to have that "it" factor so many players lack...