Terrible News for NFL?

There IS hating when taxpayers are told it's their role to fund new stadia in which the multi-millionaires play their game.

What he said.

Plus, the risks borne by the owners--they have to work very hard to not make money, given the TV contracts (which makes Art Modell really look stupid)--are minimal while players are literally risking life and limb. For non-guaranteed contracts.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me understand this. Mark Sanchez has his mega-deal being the 5th pick from last years' draft. Darrelle Revis could be signed for 100 Million dollars soon, D’Brickashaw Ferguson is closer to getting his new deal then people think, and David Harris and Nick Mangold are still waiting for the Jets to sign them to big new contracts, too.

What "salary cap" do the New York Jets play under?? Everybody understands the Jets a mega rich franchise in the biggest of all sports markets, and also have their brand new palace to charge ungodly prices for, they are sharing with the Giants. But don't they still have to fit all of their players under the same damn cap as the rest of the NFL teams do???

Theres no cap this year, and if the NFLPA has its way, they will try and make sure theres never one again.

The only way the Jets are screwed in this deal is if the new CBA contains a salary cap, this spending will bite them only then, but I could see the league making some exceptions or something to help teams get back under the cap :thumbsup:

What he said.

Plus, the risks borne by the owners--they have to work very hard to not make money, given the TV contracts (which makes Art Modell really look stupid)--are minimal while players are literally risking life and limb. For non-guaranteed contracts.

Are they really "risking Life and Limb" to play football? How many plays every year lose a limb or die due to football every season? How many people working a manual labour job lose their life or limbs at work? How many public servents (i.e. police, firemen, etc) risk life and limb doing their job? Where are their multi million dollar pays? Sure, they put their bodies through alot of punishment, but thats why they are paid way more then most people will ever see, the problem is that they don't invest it wisely and continue to want more so that they can continue to live the "high life"

Are they really "risking Life and Limb" to play football? How many plays every year lose a limb or die due to football every season? How many people working a manual labour job lose their life or limbs at work? How many public servents (i.e. police, firemen, etc) risk life and limb doing their job? Where are their multi-million dollar pays? Sure, they put their bodies through alot of punishment, but thats why they are paid way more then most people will ever see, the problem is that they don't invest it wisely and continue to want more so that they can continue to live the "high life"

I agree that this has been completely overblown, specifically by the players. We're talking about football here. Yes, they are some of the strongest athletes in the United States. But they're playing football. A game. And the players are getting paid very well for it. Let's not act like their marching off to war here.

I agree that this has been completely overblown, specifically by the players. We're talking about football here. Yes, they are some of the strongest athletes in the United States. But they're playing football. A game. And the players are getting paid very well for it. Let's not act like their marching off to war here.

That remminds me, you can throw in soldiers into that equations, guys who really do risk life and limbs daily to fight for us. Do any of them over their millitary careers make as much as Lee Evans makes per game?

"With single coverage he usually shuts down the best receiver on the opposing team. His ability to do that certainly has a positive impact on the defense"

I guess on the positive side of things, they will pay a pCB Millions of dollars a game to shut down a WR that is ALSO getting paid millions of dollars a game. --When that CB plays the Bills, he may be assigned to cover a Seventh round WR that we are only paying a few hundred thousand dollars a year. This equates to how Reagon broke the bank of the Soviet Union which in turn lead to their demise. :w00t:

:thumbsup: Reaganomics for the win.

Are they really "risking Life and Limb" to play football? How many plays every year lose a limb or die due to football every season? How many people working a manual labour job lose their life or limbs at work? How many public servents (i.e. police, firemen, etc) risk life and limb doing their job? Where are their multi million dollar pays? Sure, they put their bodies through alot of punishment, but thats why they are paid way more then most people will ever see, the problem is that they don't invest it wisely and continue to want more so that they can continue to live the "high life"

And then look up the statistics on life expectancy of NFL players, and particularly their incidence of brain trauma.

The players risk a lot more than the owners do.

Adding: which isn't necessarily to say they aren't overpaid. Viewed as a players v. owners situation, I tend to favor the players. But I also think the NFL is built on an unsustainable business model relying on taxpayer subsidized stadiums. Without tax dollars in all but a handful of markets, the whole mechanism should be ratcheted down quite a bit.

A few points.

It may be an uncapped year but all teams still have budgets. Unfortunately for us, the Jets player budget is a lot bigger than ours.

There's no problem with the money being paid to Revis. Al Davis threw huge money at Nnamdi Asomugha and that set the parameters for Revis.

The only questionable thing about the whole deal is that Revis had three years left on his contract. There are several players in similar circumstances including Chris Johnson of Tennessee, who the Titans are stonewalling.

It sure was audacious of Revis to ask for so much money, especially with three years left on his deal. But Revis shouldn't be blamed too much.

For the last year the Jets (loudmouth Ryan and Tannenbaum) have been blabbering on about how Revis is the best defensive player in football. Sooner or later (sooner in this case) they had to put their money where there mouths were.

How does one apportion blame if there is any to give?

1) Al Davis (gave Asomugha a groundbreaking contract…although Mike Shanahan's contract to Champ Bailey might be closer to the root of the problem)

2) Rex Ryan/Mike Tannenbaum (kept saying Revis was better than Asomugha or any defensive player)

3) Darrelle Revis (had the nerve and audacity to tell Ryan/Tannenbaum to put up or shut up)

Personally I don't blame Revis or Asomugha at all. The idiot owners can't control themselves but a lot of fans will hate on the players anyways.

There is only one way to "attack" a great secondary. Run the ball down their throats for big gains on first and second down, forcing them to play up on third down. The problem with that strategy, is you have to have an offensive line big and strong and talented enough to be able to do that. Chan is saying the same things Dick used to say, which were the same things Mike used to say, which were the same things Gregg used to say. We will be a run first offense. Now Chan is known for being a good offensive coach, who can mix up plays and find weaknesses in defenses. But what he has not done differently then the losers before him over the past 11 years now, is trade for or draft any proven talented offensive linemen yet. So regardless of whether Evans may or may not be worthless for both the Jets' games up against Revis, this offensive line I see starting in September doesn't seem to be good enough to knock the Jets' front 7 off the line either.

And then Chan will end up doing the same thing the others were forced to do, tell his QB to take 7 step drops on 2nd and 3rd and long to have time to find someone open past the first down marker, and end up getting sacked all over the place.

But that's just my humble opinion.

The Bills drafted Wood and Levitre last year and signed Hangartner. The former 2 won't be rookies anymore and Hangartner won't be sandwiched between them having to compensate for their mistakes.

There is only one way to "attack" a great secondary. Run the ball down their throats for big gains on first and second down, forcing them to play up on third down. The problem with that strategy, is you have to have an offensive line big and strong and talented enough to be able to do that. Chan is saying the same things Dick used to say, which were the same things Mike used to say, which were the same things Gregg used to say. We will be a run first offense. Now Chan is known for being a good offensive coach, who can mix up plays and find weaknesses in defenses. But what he has not done differently then the losers before him over the past 11 years now, is trade for or draft any proven talented offensive linemen yet. So regardless of whether Evans may or may not be worthless for both the Jets' games up against Revis, this offensive line I see starting in September doesn't seem to be good enough to knock the Jets' front 7 off the line either.

And then Chan will end up doing the same thing the others were forced to do, tell his QB to take 7 step drops on 2nd and 3rd and long to have time to find someone open past the first down marker, and end up getting sacked all over the place.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Sadly, this post is completely spot on. It reminds me of when Mularkey called our offense "smash mouth," but we had no rushing TDs for a whole bunch of early season games.

The good news is that assuming Wood can stay healthy, the Bills will have a good pair of OGs. Seriously, when was the last time we could make this statement? I like Hangartner more than most posters. Maybe I give him points just for NOT being Fowler, but I think he is a good player.

The obvious problem is at OT. Bell does have a ton of agility but it remains to be seen if he is anywhere near being strong enough to be a good LT. Some posters are high on Meredith. He might have potential, but he comes with a weak pedigree. My hope is that he can be at least average, and not Terrence Pennington bad.

Imo, the Buffalo Bills will always need a solid ground game due to the climate and division. It sucks to see visiting teams come to town and overpower us physically. Can we dominate teams on the ground with these OTs? Maybe so, but I will believe it when I see it.

2 points

A - Maybe I am the only one who hasn't drank the ESPN Kool Aid, but I dont think Revis is that good. Those who regularly read my posts should be able to attest that I am not some huge Bills homer, but I think T. McGee is a better CB than Revis.

B - From another thread on the board - $3 million spent to keep the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo, a deal made with the NFL team over a decade ago. - http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=114882

WTF - The failing and bankrupt NYS government - which taxes its citizens and businesses to the point that they up and leave town - is subsidizing a multi billion dollar a year league that is now handing out 10+ million a year to its players. Here is a novel idea... give me my money back and Ill spend it on the Bills if I see fit! Then maybe, the NFL could fund their own stadiums!?! The only make a couple Billion a year.....

I think we need another bailout...

2 points

A - Maybe I am the only one who hasn't drank the ESPN Kool Aid, but I dont think Revis is that good. Those who regularly read my posts should be able to attest that I am not some huge Bills homer, but I think T. McGee is a better CB than Revis.

HOFer, Rod Woodson would disagree with you.

Sorry, but I gotta STRONGLY disagree with you. Revis is 100x better than MaGee.

That said, I would never, under any circumstances, pay this much to a cornerback. As others have said, doing so is bound to hurt you at other positions which are more important, especially for cold weather teams.

Sorry, but I gotta STRONGLY disagree with you. Revis is 100x better than MaGee.

That said, I would never, under any circumstances, pay this much to a cornerback. As others have said, doing so is bound to hurt you at other positions which are more important, especially for cold weather teams.

Sometimes the reported value of the contract is really an illusion. What is key to determinng the true value of a contract is how it is structured and what are the payouts in the early years. The Redskins structured the Haynesworth deal in such a way that it was front loaded. The reason they did that was they wanted to discourage other teams from matching or beating their contract offer. They took a risk with their front loaded contract. As it turned out the player hustled the franchise with his already pocketed money. In this case the problem was not how much advanced money the game the player but it was the type of person they gave that bonanza money to. Hayneswoth was not known to be a sterling character to begin with. The team became enamored with his physical talents and lost sight of his character flaws.

If Haynesworth should get traded the team taking him on would get a fairly good deal because the backside of his contract is fairly reasonable. As you smartly observed if you overload a contract for a particular position it will have consequences for the other remaining positions.

Smart GMs know how to distribute cap money to their roster. It might make a lot of sense to pay a premium for a LT but not necessarily pay a premium price for both the LT and G positions. `

There are those who worry about how much a particular player gets payed. I don't worry about. The cap is the same for all teams and each team has to work out their strategy on how to distribute the money. Some teams, such as the Bills, have a more restrictive budgeting approach (in our case Cash to Cap) so it is imperative for them to draft better and to be wiser with their mid-tier free agent acquisitions.

This doesnt create a monster because it doesnt change the cap. The cap is still there and will be what ever it will be. Teams will not be paying out contracts like this regularly because they simply cant afford it. However, from time to time there will be an exceptional elite player who is the best at a key skill position that will snare a contract like this. However, thats the problem of that organization...they are the ones that are taking the risk of having so much of their cap space allocated to one player thats not a QB.

Wash is already paying the price for their contract. Revis to me wont be another Haynesworth as he is just flat out Elite and the best shut down corner I have seen since I dont know when. However, they will have to pay the price down the road when some of these additional players near free agency. They are also gearing up to win NOW...thats the key thing...they are willing to risk salary cap issues down the road to win NOW because they feel they have a team that can, and I dont blame them.

But, I just dont see how this will create a monster. What is terrible are rookie contracts, especially early first rounders getting cap crippling money before they ever step on the field. I have an issue with unproven rookies making substantially more than proven NFL talent, even pro bowlers, before ever setting foot in an NFL game. Thats the monster out of control that needs to be fixed. There needs to be a rookie cap...