Terrible News for NFL?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for sure quite a few 50 cents more that that raider guy i cant spell gets

Who can? That's one name you have to copy/paste.

I agree with the OP. I think this spells real trouble for the league and for small market teams specifically. Plus, only outlandishly paid QB's seem to continue a high level of commitment and play..

Just sayin'..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

CB Darrell Revis for the Jets

This does not sit well with me. IMO it will create a monster if this happens.

What monster are you talking about? If a player such as the CB for Oakland sets the standard for highest paid CB then why shouldn't a player with comparable ability and performances not get paid at a similar level. How else would you pay a player? Paying a player at a level he is ranked is more than fair. Darrell Revis is one of the best, if not the best, CBs in the leauge. With single coverage he usually shuts down the best receiver on the opposing team. His ability to do that certainly has a positive impact on the defense. There is no doubt that opposing offenses scheme away from him. There are not many truly impact players on any team or in the league in general. He certainly falls into that elite category.

The league has a cap. Each team can decide how to apportion their allowable cap money any way they want. Organizations are very well aware that when they give out a premium salary to a particular player it will affect how they apportion the rest of their cap money to the other players on the roster.

When Peyton Manning's contract is negotiated he is going to get the most money of any qb. Why shouldn't he get it? He is arguably the best qb in the league. When Tom Brady's next contract is negotiated he is going to be in the same compensation range as PM because he is in the same elite category. Again, by paying a Brady and Manning top tier dollar the front office is going to have to adjust (downward) how they pay the other position players.

As long as teams stay within the cap (as they are required) then I have no concern who gets what amount. That is a front office issue which all organizations contend with. It is the nature of the business.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

CB Darrell Revis for the Jets

This does not sit well with me. IMO it will create a monster if this happens.

So let me understand this. Mark Sanchez has his mega-deal being the 5th pick from last years' draft. Darrelle Revis could be signed for 100 Million dollars soon, D’Brickashaw Ferguson is closer to getting his new deal then people think, and David Harris and Nick Mangold are still waiting for the Jets to sign them to big new contracts, too.

What "salary cap" do the New York Jets play under?? Everybody understands the Jets a mega rich franchise in the biggest of all sports markets, and also have their brand new palace to charge ungodly prices for, they are sharing with the Giants. But don't they still have to fit all of their players under the same damn cap as the rest of the NFL teams do???

I agree with the OP. I think this spells real trouble for the league and for small market teams specifically. Plus, only outlandishly paid QB's seem to continue a high level of commitment and play..

Just sayin'..

In my opinion the majority of starters in the NFL are grossly overpaid. For example on our own Bills last season:

Lee Evans - 9 mil

T.O. 6.25 mil

Even Roscoe: 2.5 mil

And Fitz - not even a starter - at just under 3 mil (with TE at < $500K)

Don't think about what "the other guys" around the league are making. Think about this on it's own merit. This is for a 16 game season people. So for example Lee makes $562,500 every freaking regular season game! This is completely outrageous. Player salaries in the NFL are way over the top stupid.

So let me understand this. Mark Sanchez has his mega-deal being the 5th pick from last years' draft. Darrelle Revis could be signed for 100 Million dollars soon, D’Brickashaw Ferguson is closer to getting his new deal then people think, and David Harris and Nick Mangold are still waiting for the Jets to sign them to big new contracts, too.

What "salary cap" do the New York Jets play under?? Everybody understands the Jets a mega rich franchise in the biggest of all sports markets, and also have their brand new palace to charge ungodly prices for, they are sharing with the Giants. But don't they still have to fit all of their players under the same damn cap as the rest of the NFL teams do???

they usually bury it in bonus money that doesn't count towards the cap

I think you're right. Regardless of the people that say "he's the best CB in the league, he should get paid like one", or "what's wrong with a guy wanting to get paid what he's worth?". It will be a bad thing if it happens.

The league needs to step up and keep a salary cap in place that is enforceable. If Goodell wants to maintain level competition, he needs to do this. We don't need the NFL to become the MLB or NBA. The Yankees and Red Sox have a ridiculous advantage over other teams with the salaries they can pay players. They have team salaries of $208 million and $162 million respectively, while teams like the Pirates ($34 million), Padres ($37 million), A's ($51 million), and etc have to suffer. In the NBA, the Lakers ($91 million) and Celtics ($87 million) have the highest team salaries. SURPRISE!!! They were in the finals.

And don't tell me team salaries don't matter. Teams with low salaries that win regularly are an ANOMOLY. Teams that constantly buy the best players have a chance every year.

WE DON'T WANT THE NFL TO BECOME LIKE THIS. Once even competition goes out the window, so do the ratings. The NFL is great because teams like Green Bay, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Arizona can win. And yes, even Buffalo once we've got a capable coach.

It's not the players fault. If their peers are making big money, they deserve it too. But the league needs to set a salary cap, and make the penalty for going over it harsh. Without the small market teams, football isn't the same sport to me.

"With single coverage he usually shuts down the best receiver on the opposing team. His ability to do that certainly has a positive impact on the defense"

I guess on the positive side of things, they will pay a pCB Millions of dollars a game to shut down a WR that is ALSO getting paid millions of dollars a game. --When that CB plays the Bills, he may be assigned to cover a Seventh round WR that we are only paying a few hundred thousand dollars a year. This equates to how Reagon broke the bank of the Soviet Union which in turn lead to their demise. :thumbsup:

The question is do the Jets feel Revis is the best in the game? If they do and they don't pay him someone else surely will in due time. Not to mention the locker room issues it may cause if they don't extend the guy.

What monster are you talking about? If a player such as the CB for Oakland sets the standard for highest paid CB then why shouldn't a player with comparable ability and performances not get paid at a similar level. How else would you pay a player? Paying a player at a level he is ranked is more than fair. Darrell Revis is one of the best, if not the best, CBs in the leauge. With single coverage he usually shuts down the best receiver on the opposing team. His ability to do that certainly has a positive impact on the defense. There is no doubt that opposing offenses scheme away from him. There are not many truly impact players on any team or in the league in general. He certainly falls into that elite category.

The league has a cap. Each team can decide how to apportion their allowable cap money any way they want. Organizations are very well aware that when they give out a premium salary to a particular player it will affect how they apportion the rest of their cap money to the other players on the roster.

When Peyton Manning's contract is negotiated he is going to get the most money of any qb. Why shouldn't he get it? He is arguably the best qb in the league. When Tom Brady's next contract is negotiated he is going to be in the same compensation range as PM because he is in the same elite category. Again, by paying a Brady and Manning top tier dollar the front office is going to have to adjust (downward) how they pay the other position players.

As long as teams stay within the cap (as they are required) then I have no concern who gets what amount. That is a front office issue which all organizations contend with. It is the nature of the business.

Not right now.

The question is do the Jets feel Revis is the best in the game? If they do and they don't pay him someone else surely will in due time. Not to mention the locker room issues it may cause if they don't extend the guy.

Regardless, that's $12 to $15 mil they can't spend on other players. The Jets will have alot of cap money invested in just a few players, its not a good way to run a team, unless the cap is definitely gone for good.

Here in New Jersey, the home of the NEW JERSEY JETS (the Bills are NY State's only NFL franchise), people are being laid off left and right ... many people including myself have been required to accept no pay raise or to take a pay cut. Yet, NFL players continue to demand laughable salaries.

We are not that far away from the day when no one can afford to purchase tickets ... where advertisers will balk at paying commercial rates, and where NFL owners will be stuck with their highly paid non caring players.

We have to remember that most of these publicity contracts are not guaranteed unlike Major League Baseball so more than likely he will never see his $100 million but Odoms and Winfield received obscene salaries from the 49ers and Vikings yet we survived.

No player needs that kind of money even thought Jason Peters reminded us he needed to feed his family and therefore he would not accept what the Bills were offering him ... ahh Jason one of the flood gate Eagles ... he can still run block though.

If the NFL maintains the "cap" which Washington, Dallas, the Jets and Giants seem to violate regularly, and TV/game-day revenue sharing then it will still be safe for small market teams.

If I were a Jets' fan ... I'd sure be screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and as a taxpayer I sure have no problem requiring multi-millionaires to pay more in taxes then those of us struggling to pay for the basics. Oh wait, the NJ governor just vetoed a tax on millionaires after he cut services and benefits to the disabled and poor ... and to think people like that!

GO BILLS!!! Sign em long and sign em early Buddy! :thumbsup:

This is only if the league continues with the "status quo", where individual star players continue to raise the bar for the highest salary at their position by large percentages. To continue on that path is unsustainable, and it threatens the longevity of the league.

It's like saying housing prices will keep going up at a huge rate every year. Eventually the bubble bursts when owners can no longer afford to pay the bill.

The league needs to start worrying about this sooner than later.

I say set the cap at a lower place than it is now and fix it there for 5 years. I would also cap what each position can make, its what all other unions do. If you go to American Airlines you can see in a book what a mechanic with X amount of years makes. When they start doing that, then this **** will get under control.