Edwards hitting on the deep ball?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what little we see on these practice highlights Ive now noticed how Edwards pats the ball before he throws it about half the time, which gives the defense more time to react, his deep ball has never been his strong point yet its has been his recievers strong point!? This has never made sense to me. I have been a Trent, he could be the next Frank Reich. A very good #2 smart enough to know the offense, good enough to win some games, but just not a full time starter.

Fitzpatrick seems to be throwing picks all the time, his accuracy is terrible and has a weak arm, if he is named the starter we have no upside this year.

IMO and the limited amount we have seen Brohm is looking the best having touch on his passes and a stronger arm than the other two.

Good points. I can see Edwards & Brohm battling it out for the starting position. You're right about Fitz, even though he's had some nice passes in the OTA's, he still throws a lot of balls that are deflected or intercepted.

Support for Edwards is never going to happen on this board. I wonder what happens if he lights it up the 1st 3 or 4 weeks. At what point would people change their tune? 3 Games? Season?

It's probably not going to happen, but he has the talent to do it and I'm open to it.

I think if he were to get the Bills to the postseason, then opinion's might change. IMO, Edwards is not a bad QB, I think him, along with many other Buffalo QB's have been badly mismanaged since Kelly retired. It seems like people are expecting a rookie QB to be stellar within their first 2 years in the league. It took Drew Brees 4 years to develop into a good QB. Look at Todd Collins, he was only given one season as Bills starter and he was taken in and out of the lineup that year, that's nowhere near enough time to develop a QB. I'm not saying Collins is a franchise QB, but he did lead the Redskins to the playoffs one year and is still in the league.

Support for Edwards is never going to happen on this board. I wonder what happens if he lights it up the 1st 3 or 4 weeks. At what point would people change their tune? 3 Games? Season?

It's probably not going to happen, but he has the talent to do it and I'm open to it.

I was a real Trent fan when he came out - the Bill Walsh endorsement was the clincher for me, especially when he was doing so good. But, I have to say, even at his worst moments, J.P. never looked as bad to me as Edwards did at times last season. He was afraid to throw the ball - and I don't know what contributed to it behind the scenes, or schematically, but I have to believe that most NFL caliber QB's could've done much more with what Edwards had, despite everything. There were moments I couldn't bear to watch anymore, because I knew he just wouldn't risk throwing it.

Now, he looked good at times early on, so if he does turn it around then no one will be asking for his head. I mean, if he were to carry this team to the playoffs everyone would love him. But, he'll have to show a lot of guts and he'll have to prove himself, I think, by overcoming some tough situations with good play before his coaches, and especially his teammates, will have faith in him again. As it is now, who knows when he'll cave in again?

And, that is why I'm pushing for Brown or Brohm to be our starter. At least they have potential. We've seen both Edwards and Fitz and it's ugly.

Guest dog14787
I was a real Trent fan when he came out - the Bill Walsh endorsement was the clincher for me, especially when he was doing so good. But, I have to say, even at his worst moments, J.P. never looked as bad to me as Edwards did at times last season. He was afraid to throw the ball - and I don't know what contributed to it behind the scenes, or schematically, but I have to believe that most NFL caliber QB's could've done much more with what Edwards had, despite everything. There were moments I couldn't bear to watch anymore, because I knew he just wouldn't risk throwing it.

Now, he looked good at times early on, so if he does turn it around then no one will be asking for his head. I mean, if he were to carry this team to the playoffs everyone would love him. But, he'll have to show a lot of guts and he'll have to prove himself, I think, by overcoming some tough situations with good play before his coaches, and especially his teammates, will have faith in him again. As it is now, who knows when he'll cave in again?

And, that is why I'm pushing for Brown or Brohm to be our starter. At least they have potential. We've seen both Edwards and Fitz and it's ugly.

I'm sick of hearing TE was afraid to throw the ball BS when in reality its impossible to throw intermediate and long when your O-line is getting blown backwards off the line of scrimmage 90% of the time like a hand grenade went off. It sure doesn't help matters when the offense itself is one of the most primitive, worse designed offense's in the NFL.

TE had one decent game plan last season designed by Turk Shonert which was used on opening day/night against the Patriots.

Trying to evaluate any one of the Bills QB's from last seasons pathetic excuse for a FO/Coaching staff/ O-line is a waste of time.

I'm sick of hearing TE was afraid to throw the ball BS when in reality its impossible to throw intermediate and long when your O-line is getting blown backwards off the line of scrimmage 90% of the time like a hand grenade went off and it sure doesn't help matters when the offense itself is one of the worse designed offense's in the NFL.

Even Turk Schonert said after he was canned that Jauron stated there were too many formations and too many plays. Schonert also said that Jauron wanted the offense stripped down and compared the offense to a pop-warner type offense. What QB can be successful under those conditions, especially with a horrible O-line?

Only on this board would people complain about hitting a receiver in stride on a deep ball.

Not just complain - but actually be completely pissed off and use two completed long TD passes as 'proof' that subject QB is the worst possible QB and person on the planet. And not just one thread - but TWO - based on two passes in OTAs.... OMFG

Guest dog14787
Even Turk Schonert said after he was canned that Jauron stated there were too many formations and too many plays. Schonert also said that Jauron wanted the offense stripped down and compared the offense to a pop-warner type offense. What QB can be successful under those conditions, especially with a horrible O-line?

None

Forget about Big Ben?

Just me, of course, but I'd take the Steelers O-line any day of the week. At least such as it existed during the two Super Bowl teams.

This having been said, assuming Wood comes back in the form in which he left (not with the broken leg, but just a few minutes prior thereto), I'm starting to feel confident about the interior of this line.

But don't think for a minute that Roethlisberger or Brady or Montana or Jesus was going to perform on a Pro Bowl level with the line, and the offensive coaching, that the Bills have had over the past 4 seasons.

Guest dog14787
Forget about Big Ben?

The same Big Ben that won't be playing when the season starts?

I don't talk much about Big Ben anymore :unsure:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...64-bfb85361eca3

In yesterday's OTA, Edwards threw 2 long TD's, 1 to Felton Huggins for 60 yards and the other to Chad Jackson. I know it's only OTA's and the pads aren't on, but could Edwards thrive in Gailey's offense?

Comments...

We've seen a lot of Edwards, it's obvious he hasn't been able to make all the throws you want an NFL QB to make. Think back to that fiasco in Tennessee last year when he got yanked at the end when he couldn't get the ball in the same area code as TO when required to throw a deep out from the far hash. And yes, a guy like Chad Pennington can get by with less arm strength, but Pennington also throws with anticipation. Edwards does not like to throw to a spot.

IMO, his lack of force and subsequently, control on the deep ball is correctable, but would require a lot of changing. Edwards throwing motion is all arm. He doesn't use his core to generate power. Watch his stiff, upright motion then watch tape of John Elway or Brett Farve. They coil, stride and turn their hips to generate power. Trent does not. Why? Perhaps he's too stiff, but my guess is he is afraid to leave his body exposed just as he is afraid to throw the ball to a spot for fear of missing. Perhaps a boost of confidence will help, but my guess is that it is a futile exercise trying to fix this guy.

I'm sick of hearing TE was afraid to throw the ball BS when in reality its impossible to throw intermediate and long when your O-line is getting blown backwards off the line of scrimmage 90% of the time like a hand grenade went off. It sure doesn't help matters when the offense itself is one of the most primitive, worse designed offense's in the NFL.

TE had one decent game plan last season designed by Turk Shonert which was used on opening day/night against the Patriots.

Trying to evaluate any one of the Bills QB's from last seasons pathetic excuse for a FO/Coaching staff/ O-line is a waste of time.

+1

No OC and No O-line. Yeah...the QB sucks.

Look.............I couldn't care less about the deep ball. I know Trent can make the deep throws. We all know he can make that throw.

The throws he can't make..........or is at least not willing to make, are the throws between 15-30 yards down the middle of the field.

In this league, good teams pick up chunks of yardage on a regular basis down the middle of the field. With Edwards, it is either a 5 yard dump off (happens 99% of the time) or a bomb 50 yards down the field. There is not much in between.

To be a successful QB in this league, you MUST be able to work 15-25 yards down the field on a fairly regular basis. Until we get a QB that can, or is willing to do this, we will continue to struggle.

Just me, of course, but I'd take the Steelers O-line any day of the week. At least such as it existed during the two Super Bowl teams.

This having been said, assuming Wood comes back in the form in which he left (not with the broken leg, but just a few minutes prior thereto), I'm starting to feel confident about the interior of this line.

But don't think for a minute that Roethlisberger or Brady or Montana or Jesus was going to perform on a Pro Bowl level with the line, and the offensive coaching, that the Bills have had over the past 4 seasons.

I totally agree with everything you said. The Steelers line was always their weak point but Ben was the type of quarterback that could handle the beating and make plays under those circumstances.