LT Marcus McNeill doesn't sign RFA tender

That would be sweet. But is it at all likely? :rolleyes:

It's a good question. Since McNeill didn't sign the RFA tender and his salary for 2010 drops to $600,000, what does A.J. Smith want for him and what is Nix willing to give up?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Looks like the same for Vincent Jackson.

It's a good question. Since McNeill didn't sign the RFA tender and his salary for 2010 drops to under $600,000, what does A.J. Smith want for him and what is Nix willing to give up?

What is the penalty for signing an RFA? A draft pick in the round McNeill was originally drafted? He was a 2nd rounder in 2006. Do the Bills give up their #2 in 2011 if we signed him?

PTR

What is the penalty for signing an RFA? A draft pick in the round McNeill was originally drafted? He was a 2nd rounder in 2006. Do the Bills give up their #2 in 2011 if we signed him?

PTR

Depends on the tender they put on him. They could get a 1st and 3rd. And the bigger question is will AJ smith want to deal with Nix or vice versa?

Here's the thing you have to consider though. I'm normally 100% on the player's side because of the violent nature of football. But this is an extreme case here. Do you want to give a player a huge signing bonus (which every play wants because NFL contracts are worthless) and have them miss an entire year because of a lockout? I think peopel are missing that point completely. Any other year, the Chargers probably would have signed McNeil already. If somehow they didn't, then the Bills should be all over him, again if this was a normal year. But it's not and giving huge money to a player who might miss an entire year is extremely risky.

Additionally, I believe McNeil has a back issue which is why he dropped. It hasn't been a problem but these are things you need to consider.

I'm pretty sure you can't sign them anymore. The deadline is sometime before the April draft.

This is correct - restricted free agents can't change teams after the draft without a trade (or the original team can lift the tender). So we're going to have to make our own trade for him, AND pay him like a top-10 LT. That said, he really seems to be the kind of guy we WANT to spend a high pick on and sign.

I'd try to work out a trade with San Diego along these lines: We sent our 2011 first round pick, unless it's in the top 10, in which case we send them a 2011 2nd and a 2012 1st.

It's a good question. Since McNeill didn't sign the RFA tender and his salary for 2010 drops to $600,000, what does A.J. Smith want for him and what is Nix willing to give up?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Looks like the same for Vincent Jackson.

We are talking about A.J. Smith here. He has been known to climb upon his "high horse" and cast out demands that will be met by no one. Remember when Marv was interested in getting Turner from them and Smith wouldn't come off of the 1st and 3rd tender he had on the guy? I'd like to see McNiel in a Bills' uni, but I don't think it will happen.

This is extremely intriguing.

I would love to see something happen. Maybe some kind of 3 team deal, sending Lynch to the Seahawks, McNeil to the Bills, and the Chargers get draft picks or something.

I think McNeil offers more upside than Flozell Adams and anything on the roster right now.

This is extremely intriguing.

I would love to see something happen. Maybe some kind of 3 team deal, sending Lynch to the Seahawks, McNeil to the Bills, and the Chargers get draft picks or something.

I think McNeil offers more upside than Flozell Adams and anything on the roster right now.

McNeill offers way more value than Flozell. Flozell was a very strong tackle, but he is over-the-hill at this point and that is why he is still on the open market. If McNeill was a UFA, he would have been a very early signee.

This is correct - restricted free agents can't change teams after the draft without a trade (or the original team can lift the tender). So we're going to have to make our own trade for him, AND pay him like a top-10 LT. That said, he really seems to be the kind of guy we WANT to spend a high pick on and sign.

I'd try to work out a trade with San Diego along these lines: We sent our 2011 first round pick, unless it's in the top 10, in which case we send them a 2011 2nd and a 2012 1st.

Wow, If we are going to give up that much we should probably ask for Phillip Rivers too.

Does that come with a reach around from AJ Smith, or is that extra?

The whole thing is a difficult situation. If McNeil doesn't play this year he remains a free agent of the Chargers for 2 more years, because of the uncapped year CBA rules.If he plays out the games after week 10, he stiil is a RFA for next year. So he is really on the short end unless the Chargers cave and trade....not likely. On the other hand McNeil has passed on about 1.5-2 million $ so it sounds like he is serious too.