***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

I will chime in on the soccer "Is this the year it takes hold?" argument.

I am 29 and have played soccer since the age of 5. I like to watch soccer but I am not delusional about it. I know that a majority of the society does not like to watch it. I have no problem with that. Unless you like it, it can be a boring sport to watch. I get Fox Soccer Channel so I know where I can watch games.

It will never take hold in America. It is a niche sport much like hockey. Sure hockey got a boost from the Olympic run of the US team but come next year the fervor will die down. The MLS is a 2nd or 3rd tier league. In the other sports, the US based leagues are the best in the world. The MLS is a good league for young players to cut their teeth and a nice place for older players to end their careers.

Like the Olympics, this is the best of the best. It is always better to watch that. How many people are going to tune in on a Thursday night to watch Real Salt Lake take on the Houston Dynamo. Not many. ESPN had a set night for MLS games two years ago but the ratings were horrible so now they show games randomly during the week.

ESPN is beginning to show EPL and Spanish League games on tv now which is nice for people who like to watch soccer but still the fringe person will not watch it.

The best athletes in the US are not playing soccer. In many other countries, soccer and baseball are the only sports they play. In the US, the best athletes are going into football, basketball, or baseball. The other problem is that soccer like lacrosse and hockey are not a very easy sport for the poor to play.

Why does soccer have to be so popular in the US? I think this World Cup is a good indication that the strangle hold of soccer power is no longer a European thing. More and more non-Europeans are playing in the top level leagues in Europe. Parity is reaching the soccer scene. As someone said earlier in the thread, only a few set of nations have won the World Cup lately. Maybe that will change in the future as the world gets better (see more non-Americans in basketball)

Having said that, that goal by Donovan was awesome.

Rant over.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just might need its own thread - more people need to see that. Outstanding.

I was listening to the Erik Kuselias show on ESPN radio last weekend. He was asking the question if it really mattered whether the US team beat Algeria and advanced, or if they just went home. I just sent him a link to this video so he can maybe answer that question for himself.

U-S-A!!!!! U-S-A!!!!! U-S-A!!!!!

The other problem is that soccer like lacrosse and hockey are not a very easy sport for the poor to play.

Say what? We're playing GHANA in the next round. I'd wager the poorest person here would be wealthy in Ghana. All you need are feet and a ball to play soccer.

Those that don't care about the sport don't pay attention to its growth anyway. The fact of the matter is that it's significantly more popular in the states now than it was in '94, and there are many indicators of that.

One of these indicators is that Portland now has a pro soccer team. :thumbsup:

Say what? We're playing GHANA in the next round. I'd wager the poorest person here would be wealthy in Ghana. All you need are feet and a ball to play soccer.

I am talking about America. How many poor kids in America do you see kicking a soccer ball around? I understand in other countries where soccer is all they have, the poor population can play it.

The soccer system in America is set up where everyone can play at lower levels but once you get older it moves to travel teams and elite club teams. Poor kids cant afford to play higher level soccer.

I just threw out '94 as one example. Could've just as easily mentioned "monumental upsets" of "superpowers" Portugal and Spain. ..nobody even remembers or cares less than a decade later.

It seems like those indicators you speak of are always youth-based statistics. Some English guy on another board is trying to make himself feel better by saying the US has more kids playing than the UK. Of course what he doesn't realize is our good athletes switch to other sports as soon as they realize those other sports will get them laid.

The problem is that people expect some big sea change over night when something like that happens. Soccer is becoming more popular here because of demographics, more kids playing it and more success at the national stage. It's not going to unseat hockey or basketball in popularity as a spectator sport anytime soon, but it's clearly increasing its popularity.

Just look at the World Cup and the attention and coverage it gets now. I recall it being on tape delay back in 1990. Now, there's wall-to-wall coverage.

The problem is that people expect some big sea change over night when something like that happens. Soccer is becoming more popular here because of demographics, more kids playing it and more success at the national stage. It's not going to unseat hockey or basketball in popularity as a spectator sport anytime soon, but it's clearly increasing its popularity.

Just look at the World Cup and the attention and coverage it gets now. I recall it being on tape delay back in 1990. Now, there's wall-to-wall coverage.

Exactly. And most fans of the sport will acknowledge that it'll never be on level with the MLB, NBA, etc, because it likely never will and it's obvious. But that doesn't mean it won't remain a very viable, healthy, steadily growing presence here with a fan base that is pretty loyal. With the bigger leagues in this country, you tend to have the best players in the world in those leagues. Obviously the same is not true of soccer and the MLS. The greatest players in the world play for clubs in England, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc. So yeah, it'll never be on par with the bigger leagues in the US, but it doesn't need to be.

For those of you (like me) jumping on the USA soccer bandwagon - they host Brazil on August 10 at the Meadowlands. Now, I realize this probably won't be A team vs. A team, but regardless, what a cool opportunity to go out and give these guys some great support, on US soil.

I'm considering making the trip. Last I checked, tickets are still available from Ticketmaster.

I was in the corner of Jurgen Klinsmann pretty firmly when we were looking for a coach to replace Mr. Perfect a few years ago, and was really upset that we passed him over. I have to say, Bradley is really showing me a lot this WC, and even before this WC. The guy seems to say the right things, and for whatever reason the players tend to play hard for the guy. Im really glad to see him come out against flopping....it's fuggin asinine how bad it gets. The Kaka example he uses is spot on....one of the most pathetic displays I've ever seen.

I was in the corner of Jurgen Klinsmann pretty firmly when we were looking for a coach to replace Mr. Perfect a few years ago, and was really upset that we passed him over. I have to say, Bradley is really showing me a lot this WC, and even before this WC. The guy seems to say the right things, and for whatever reason the players tend to play hard for the guy. Im really glad to see him come out against flopping....it's fuggin asinine how bad it gets. The Kaka example he uses is spot on....one of the most pathetic displays I've ever seen.

Yes.

I'm very proud to see the U.S. team play the game honorably so far. I was watching one of the WC discussion shows and one of the commentators, who happened to be English, said that "the U.S. team is the class of the tournament." That may be an overstatement, but I'm glad that our team is not one of those taking cheap shots and diving and writhing on the ground.

Also, in terms of passing, ball control and teamwork, they seem to be coming together. If they play against Ghana like they did in the second half against Algeria, it will be another good result.

Go USA! :beer:

Yes.

I'm very proud to see the U.S. team play the game honorably so far. I was watching one of the WC discussion shows and one of the commentators, who happened to be English, said that "the U.S. team is the class of the tournament." That may be an overstatement, but I'm glad that our team is not one of those taking cheap shots and diving and writhing on the ground.

Also, in terms of passing, ball control and teamwork, they seem to be coming together. If they play against Ghana like they did in the second half against Algeria, it will be another good result.

Go USA! :beer:

Darn right, cause if we get even HALF the opportunities against Ghana that we had against Algeria, we'll put up at least two, maybe three goals. There's just no excuse for losing this match tomorrow. I expect them to come out and play tough and move on to the next match. This team is much better than the '06 team, and they need to keep this train chuggin' along!

So I am debating whether I should watch the game on my 56" TV with the stereo on full blast or head to Anna Liffeys(a good Irish pub) in New Haven for the game. Decisions, decisions. I am going to make a cocktail and contemplate this one

So I am debating whether I should watch the game on my 56" TV with the stereo on full blast or head to Anna Liffeys(a good Irish pub) in New Haven for the game. Decisions, decisions. I am going to make a cocktail and contemplate this one

Funny, it's 8:00am here game starts at 11, and Im having the same "problem". I think I'm going to the bar as I love the atmosphere.

Funny, it's 8:00am here game starts at 11, and Im having the same "problem". I think I'm going to the bar as I love the atmosphere.

I am going to head into the bar myself! !@#$ yeah!

where are you?