***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP 2010 THREAD***

ajzepp

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is up with the way Mexico holds their hand hand in a slicing motion over their heart during their national anthem? I have never seen any other country do that and it does not make sense to me

what is up with the way Mexico holds their hand hand in a slicing motion over their heart during their national anthem? I have never seen any other country do that and it does not make sense to me

It means "Screw you, Arizona"

Greece and Nigeria was a good game to watch. Greece had ideas.

Greeks were awful 11 on 11. Pitiable even. As soon as they had the extra man they stopped being so terribly negative and actually attacked with more than one player in the box. Horrid team.

Watching these highlights, I'm again amazed at how pertinent one of the very first things I was ever taught about the game of soccer holds true on even the world's biggest stage - FOLLOW YOUR DAMN SHOT! I remember that being drilled in our heads at a soccer camp I attended as a child. It's funny seeing so many goals in the WC where that made all the difference. Some of these goals have been pretty nuts, but they wouldn't have happened if a few of these players hadn't continued to pursue the play after their shot. The fundamentals of the game pay off!

who cares how a country salutes?????

glad they beat france!!! first goal was sweet.

I just finished draining my dvr.

Oh, suck it, France!!! :thumbsup:

You played selfish stupid soccer and you booked your ticket home (probably). What a joy to watch you lose, you bunch of egotistical morons. Zero goals scored through two games. The only thing you win is the award for stupidest jersey... what is up with that ridiculous black electrical-tape-brassiere design?

(note: I used to respect team France when Zidane was making good things happen--now they are an embarrassment to their country)

You played selfish stupid soccer and you booked your ticket home (probably). What a joy to watch you lose, you bunch of egotistical morons. Zero goals scored through two games. The only thing you win is the award for stupidest jersey... what is up with that ridiculous black electrical-tape-brassiere design?

(note: I used to respect team France when Zidane was making good things happen--now they are an embarrassment to their country)

All I gotta say about France is... karma's a B word.

But Zidane is Algerian ...

I hated France a bit after WC 98, i hated France more than anything after Euro 2000...

And the hate has been progressively growing.

Huge game tomorrow for USA against Slovenia. My thoughts...

- It won't be easy to make it through the day to watch my recording after work without having the result spoiled.

- Jozy looks in fine form. The word on him for a while has been that he has all the talent--he just needs to believe it himself. I think he believes it. Just watch his late attack against England that ended up bouncing off the post. His rush up the left sideline and around the defender was bold and confident! (If that ball bounced 6 inches to the right, we'd still be talking about the biggest goal in U.S. history.)

- If USA gets hot and wins by 2 or more, they could be looking at a chance at winning the group.

- It won't be easy though. Slovenia is a giant killer.

- I have to eat my words about Onyewu. He is indeed ready for the WC. It still scares me though when I notice that his one thigh is still visibly thinner and less muscular than the other.

- I would love for Donovan to get a goal. (Despite the constant criticism he gets) he is a world class player and he spends a lot of time and energy in big games doing the dirty work of being a defensive midfielder and extra sweeper in addition to trying to get forward. I'd like to see him get rewarded.

- Dempsey. :thumbsup:

- Howard. B-)

- It won't be easy to make it through the day to watch my recording after work without having the result spoiled.

- Jozy looks in fine form. The word on him for a while has been that he has all the talent--he just needs to believe it himself. I think he believes it. Just watch his late attack against England that ended up bouncing off the post. His rush up the left sideline and around the defender was bold and confident! (If that ball bounced 6 inches to the right, we'd still be talking about the biggest goal in U.S. history.)

- If USA gets hot and wins by 2 or more, they could be looking at a chance at winning the group.

- I have to eat my words about Onyewu. He is indeed ready for the WC. It still scares me though when I notice that his one thigh is still visibly thinner and less muscular than the other.

- I would love for Donovan to get a goal. (Despite the constant criticism he gets) he is a world class player and he spends a lot of time and energy in big games doing the dirty work of being a defensive midfielder and extra sweeper in addition to trying to get forward. I'd like to see him get rewarded.

- Howard. B-)

I'll spoil it for you now, 1-1 tie. Don't bother setting your DVR. Hoooray soccer!

- Howard. B-)

I'm definitely one of Prima Donovan's biggest detractors, but he impressed me last match. I think maybe he's grown a bit since last WC and I'm looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow. I feel like this team is so close to being able to make some noise in this thing...particularly given our draw, anything less than at least one win in the elimination bracket would be a failure, IMO. With Slovenia talking a bunch of trash, we need to go out and make a statement.

Watching these highlights, I'm again amazed at how pertinent one of the very first things I was ever taught about the game of soccer holds true on even the world's biggest stage - FOLLOW YOUR DAMN SHOT! I remember that being drilled in our heads at a soccer camp I attended as a child. It's funny seeing so many goals in the WC where that made all the difference. Some of these goals have been pretty nuts, but they wouldn't have happened if a few of these players hadn't continued to pursue the play after their shot. The fundamentals of the game pay off!

excellent point.

The next time you watch a basketball game at ANY level, see how few

players "Follow Their Shot". It rarely happens.

GO USA