It Is Really Scary That Teachers Like These Exist.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/09/la-te...test-road-trip/

Lara, who made the video, teaches at the Unified School District's Santee Education Complex with Ron Gochez, another social studies teacher who came under fire last month after he was identified making incendiary remarks in a widely circulated YouTube video that shows him speaking at a 2007 rally for La Raza, a revolutionary group calling for Mexican revolt inside the United States.

In that video, Gochez referred to Americans as "frail, racist, white people, and to California as "stolen, occupied Mexico." The video's posting led to a groundswell of anger and a flood of calls for Gochez's firing, but a school district investigation found him fit to continue teaching history to public school students.

How would you feel if your child attended class with these anti-American "teachers"?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, if I were a parent I wouldn't give a crap. I'd talk to my kid everyday about school and when something like this came up I'd talk to him or her about it. Kids are going to encounter a lot of different views in life. Learning how to think them through is a very important skill. Those abilities don't develop by being fed only what I want them to hear.

Yet another moment of embarrassment for the state of California.

It amazes me at how many fools we have in important positions in this state.

I do'nt know whose worse? The racist teacher making those comments, or the guy who says he is fit to be a history/social studies teacher?

:worthy:

What is so scary about it? Everyone has the right to their opinion (just dont get videotaped, especially if you are an employee of said government!).

/__________________ You like my avatar? Rebel! Rebel!

\

What is so scary about it? Everyone has the right to their opinion (just dont get videotaped, especially if you are an employee of said government!).

/__________________ You like my avatar? Rebel! Rebel!

\

It's really fashionable to be a fan of murderers, apparently.

It's really fashionable to be a fan of murderers, apparently.

Who's a fan of murderers? I guess the founding fathers of this country won their independence from England by talking them into it!

No, they KILLED English soldiers during a war. Murder and killing someone in the act of war are two different things.

Wake up man!!!

Personally, if I were a parent I wouldn't give a crap. I'd talk to my kid everyday about school and when something like this came up I'd talk to him or her about it. Kids are going to encounter a lot of different views in life. Learning how to think them through is a very important skill. Those abilities don't develop by being fed only what I want them to hear.

Exactly. Critical thinking starts with the parents.

Exactly. Critical thinking starts with the parents.

Way to completely miss the point as usual.

The point is the radicals are specifically attempting to subjugate critical reasoning skills by making it educational policy that kids be taught that point-of-view XYZ is the 'correct' view. That means little Johnnie isn't free to use his critical reasoning skills to take the opinion that the AZ law is completely logical and reasonable because his slimy, wetback teacher will give him an 'F' if he does so.

Of course, this is hardly new. I went to liberal Jesuit high school 25 years ago and was surrounded by the brilliant, left-wing ideology of the day (anyone remember the "unilateral disarmament" movement?). I recall getting a D on a paper I wrote specifically because of my opinion. I wrote the next assignment with a leftist viewpoint and got an A.

Here's another point of view:

School (at least public school) is where education should take place. "Kids" are extremely impressionable and indeed, they have enough being blasted at them already without having their educators pontificating their own personal agenda on A, B or C during class. Allowing that to happen makes the most difficult job in the world, THAT much more difficult.

The point is the radicals are specifically attempting to subjugate critical reasoning skills by making it educational policy that kids be taught that point-of-view XYZ is the 'correct' view. That means little Johnnie isn't free to use his critical reasoning skills to take the opinion that the AZ law is completely logical and reasonable because his slimy, wetback teacher will give him an 'F' if he does so.

Of course, this is hardly new. I went to liberal Jesuit high school 25 years ago and was surrounded by the brilliant, left-wing ideology of the day (anyone remember the "unilateral disarmament" movement?). I recall getting a D on a paper I wrote specifically because of my opinion. I wrote the next assignment with a leftist viewpoint and got an A.

Even after all that trying they couldn't pry that mind open it seems. <_<

Here's another point of view:

School (at least public school) is where education should take place. "Kids" are extremely impressionable and indeed, they have enough being blasted at them already without having their educators pontificating their own personal agenda on A, B or C during class. Allowing that to happen makes the most difficult job in the world, THAT much more difficult.

The biggest influence on any child is their parent, if they are around enough. By talking to your kid about it you can let them reason through to their own conclusion and then share your opinion on the matter. If you are trying to raise little automatons then I guess that would offend you.

It's funny I found something out while student teaching. Every parent wants a teacher to teach morals, THEIR MORALS. There was a few times different parents called up to complain to my cooperating teacher about the material being taught. One time two parents called for opposite reasons. Just let your kid absorb different views and help them hash it out. If schools taught only what parents wanted there would be no curriculum. JMO

This reminds me of another story. A friend of mine who's a teacher in the Rochester area caught a kid plagiarizing his assignment. She knew this because the paper is online for people to use. She gave him an F on the paper. The kids mother freaked out and demanded to talk to the teacher and principal together. Evidently this mutha went off on my friend telling her how she's hurting her kids chances of getting into Harvard etc. etc... Had it been me I would have told her this;

I'm sorry your son is ruining his chances of going to Harvard. That's right, I'm sorry your son is ruining his chances of going to Harvard. I am not ruining them for him. I'm teaching him that plagiarism is wrong. If you want to teach him that lying and cheating your way to the top is ok that's your choice. In my classroom plagiarizing will get you an F! My friend said she wished she had thought of that.

See what I mean about their morals.

The biggest influence on any child is their parent, if they are around enough. By talking to your kid about it you can let them reason through to their own conclusion and then share your opinion on the matter. If you are trying to raise little automatons then I guess that would offend you.

It's funny I found something out while student teaching. Every parent wants a teacher to teach morals, THEIR MORALS. There was a few times different parents called up to complain to my cooperating teacher about the material being taught. One time two parents called for opposite reasons. Just let your kid absorb different views and help them hash it out. If schools taught only what parents wanted there would be no curriculum. JMO

This reminds me of another story. A friend of mine who's a teacher in the Rochester area caught a kid plagiarizing his assignment. She knew this because the paper is online for people to use. She gave him an F on the paper. The kids mother freaked out and demanded to talk to the teacher and principal together. Evidently this mutha went off on my friend telling her how she's hurting her kids chances of getting into Harvard etc. etc... Had it been me I would have told her this;

I'm sorry your son is ruining his chances of going to Harvard. That's right, I'm sorry your son is ruining his chances of going to Harvard. I am not ruining them for him. I'm teaching him that plagiarism is wrong. If you want to teach him that lying and cheating your way to the top is ok that's your choice. In my classroom plagiarizing will get you an F! My friend said she wished she had thought of that.

See what I mean about their morals.

I have always respected your views and will continue to do so, even if they differ from mine (just so we have that out of the way).

I'm not talking about teaching morals in school. School (public school) is not where morals should be taught. Yours, mine or anyone else's. Morals are not part of public school K-12 curriculum, as far as I know. Speaking as a parent who had a child in the public school system, I want the public school system to butt the ukfay out of the morals subject.

That also means, as a parent, I want the public school system to similarly butt the ukfay out of their employees pontificating their personal agendas on ALL children, during class.

If any particular parent wants to raise an 'automaton', it is NOT my business to interfere, regardless of how I feel about it personally. Just as it is none of their business if I want to raise my child to think openly.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about plagiarizing. Remove a few letters and you have, 'liar'.

<_<:thumbsup:

What critical reasoning skills?

I went to a public school and took AP history in 11th grade... And cranked a 5 on the exam while taking the none norm stance. Who would have figured, me! :thumbsup::w00t:

Who's a fan of murderers? I guess the founding fathers of this country won their independence from England by talking them into it!

No, they KILLED English soldiers during a war. Murder and killing someone in the act of war are two different things.

Wake up man!!!

Yes, they killed English soldiers. But, those soldiers didn't happen to be bound, gagged, and blindfolded at the time. There's the difference.

Even all these years later, I'm still surprised at all of the incorrect things I was taught in school, especially in social studies classes. It wasn't until my mid twenties when I started reading non-fiction for enjoyment that I realized half the stuff they teach (and are supposed to teach based on approved lesson plans) is basically US propaganda bull ****. I honestly see this as exactly the same type of thing, just taken in a different direction. It would be great if public schools could show students the different sides and points of view on every subject, but not only does that go against human nature (teachers are going to inject their own idea and bias into lessons), but the time and resources to do so don't exist.

in my opinion, morals are not entirely taught, but learned, grasped and formed. and no one is equal. the perception that all students will get the same message from on teacher because of his/her background is a little far-reaching, i think. learning morals and building one's own set of ideas is an individualistic thing and based on common-day occurances, traumatic situations and simply, merely falling out of one's bed.

a teacher can teach 2 and 2 equaling 4, but it's not as easy when it comes to teaching something as vague and complex as morals.

there's no arguing that a teacher has influence over his/her students, but there's far more to life to a child that happens outside the classroom. how, otherwise, do people grow up to become so different. it's not as if all the contrarians, like myself, were taught by one teacher, and all the follow-the-leader types by another?

that's far too simplistic a notion, don't you think. it's easy, i think, for everyone to believe there should be one course curriculum taught and never strayed from. what's missed is that these courses aren't taught in vacuums or by robots. i didn't know the backgrounds of my elementary school teachers and really, nor did i care. at that time, it was all about me and recess, which i'm sure it was for many of us.

personally, i'm against the whole suburban culture, finding it to be one stale, in-bred middle-class haven for stifling individualism.

don't know how that fits here, but i like the sentence so i'll keep it.

jw

i think. learning morals and building one's own set of ideas is an individualistic thing and based on common-day occurances, traumatic situations and simply, merely falling out of one's bed.

Basically...morals are learned by drinking.

This teacher is obviously an extremist nut. I have 4 kids that have all gone to public schools. 2 have already graduated,1 is almost done and the baby still has several years left. I have NEVER run across a teacher anywhere close to this guy. A few teachers had a political bent that was noticable at times,some to the right and some to the left,but I never got the impression that any of them were trying to push their beliefs on my kids. At the high school level,some would debate with students about political issues,but I feel it was done in a pretty healthy,academic way. I've found most teachers to be hardworking people that are very dedicated to their jobs. This nutcase represents a tiny percentage of teachers overall,imo.