Albums You Didn't Realize Were as Good as they Are

ajzepp

The Band: The Last Waltz

Two books - Across the Great Divide and This Wheel's on Fire both confirm much over dubbing was used. Levon Helm says that he refused to redo any of his live performances from the concert. A couple "live studio" tracks were added with The Band performing 'The Weight' with the Staple Singers, and 'Evangeline' with Emmy Lou Harris.

I love the studio tracks. Emmylou and the Staples are awesome. As a live album, though, Rock of Ages is superior, IMO.

After the huge success of Frampton Comes Alive (I never owned it...honest!) there were accusations that there was some significant overdubbing. Dunno if those accusations were true, but they inspired Dave Mason to call his live album "Certified Live". It was OK, with a few great tunes.

A couple of of my more musically astute friends didn't really get Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus" when it first came out. Now they love it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as live albums go I'll go one better and say it's the bootlegs albums that really kill. When a band knows their performance is being preserved they tend to play it a little safe. I have these bootleg performances by the Cramps, Bad Brains and Gas Huffer on vinyl that will melt your face. So much more alive than my favorite official live albums (Grateful Dead's Europe 72 and War's live album which is called something stupid like War Live or whatever).

Recently I've really been digging my old Grant Lee Buffalo cds. Which is weird since I normally both don't like cds or Grant Lee Buffalo. But their melodramatic gothic folk thing has been speaking to me these days.

Yeah, "Crazy Joe Moon" definitely took some time for me to "get". It's the only GLB CD I have.

I like most of the Crash Test Dummies music - I saw them live after they released "I Don't Care That You Don't Mind".

Their new CD Ooh La La is available for listening on their website CTD website It's Beautiful was nice the instant I heard it; the rest.....well, it will be another entry for this thread topic!

I really like the new Petty album...

LOVE this track in particular:

This cut is from a German artist that is making the rounds, too...kinda catchy Enjoy!

If you like country Sugarland's 'Love on the inside' is excellent. It took me by surprise cause I'm not a huge country music fan. :)

good choice. love the fast songs and the slow songs are awesome too. "what i'd give" "fall into me" are hidden gems. honestly.

for my main choice i would have to pick coldplays last album. viva la vida. from start to finish this album is great.

honorable mentions

jayz black album

peal jam 10

1) The missing link? Man, I'm searching high and low for a CD version of "Touch Me There" by L. Shankar. It's been called the "Lost Frank Zappa Album". I have it on LP, but it's from 1979, and that was a lot of miles ago. Scratches, dust, "ashes", the works. I've searched Amazon, but it ain't there. But I'll keep looking. It's that good.

2) Anything by Crash Test Dummies. Many thanks for the "Oh La La" citation. I'll look for it.

3) Waiting for Columbus. Yes. Yes. Yes. Lots of great memories.

4) If you like "Pet Sounds", you have to get Brian Wilson's "Smile" album. Talk about an acquired taste. But if I was stranded on a desert isle (well, with a stereo and power to drive it, of course), I'd choose "Smile".

And "Touch Me There". Dammit.

Anything by Bob Mould takes awhile to get used to, but then it becomes genius.

Never heard of the guy. What sort of music is it?

Anything by Bob Mould takes awhile to get used to, but then it becomes genius.

Bob Mould is pretty amazing. Husker Du is a top 5 band of mine...Sugar was pretty great too. Always found the solo stuff a little hit or miss. the electronic stuff, in particular, just drove me nuts.

For those Mould fans, the new Grant Hart solo album is killer. In fact I may like the new Grant hart more than any of Mould's solo jams.

Alice Cooper- From The Inside

and

Men at Work- Business as Usual

I listened to a little '80s pop a couple years ago, as a lark. I couldn't believe how good Men at Work were. I remembered them as bubblegum-pop tripe... but they are actually very well composed. Colin Hay is a genius. I've been getting really into his more modern stuff too...

The Golden Age of Wireless: Thomas Dolby

Stands the test of time and not a bad cut.....not even a mediocre cut, on the album.

When my wife and I were driving to Chicago in 1983 for our wedding we were going through Gary Ind at night which is very creepy. We were listening to Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded me with Science." When he got to the line "I can smell the chemicals" we looked at each other and said not ****. If you've ever been through Gary you'll know what I mean.

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience

I bought it because my wife commented that she liked "Hey Jealousy." I bought it, listened to it once and then it gathered dust for a while. I picked it up one day and gave it a listen. I thought, "not bad," and it became part of the regular rotation . . .

Flash forward 10 years or so (i know it came out in '93 or so, but I did say it gathered dust for a while), and I find the recording indispensible. It is, quite possibly, my favorite CD of all time.

It's a shame too because:

a) nothing they've done since comes even close to duplicating that effort

and

b) Doug Hopkins' suicide shortly after the release of the CD . . . He was, obviously, the genius behind the catchy hooks and alcohol/drug abuse driven lyrical content. Definitely a tortured genius . . .

Great CD.

Where'd you see that encore at? I was at Darien Lake and Saratoga a few weeks ago.

Dude, actually listening to "All Along the Watchtower" as I type this. Fuggin' coincidence man! :unsure:

If you haven't heard it, check out their Central Park Concert. It has all their great songs with the best versions, IMO.

Bela Fleck opened for Dave Matthews at the Finger Lakes Whatever They Call It Now, several years ago.

As far as "All Along the Watchtower", in my opinion it was best performed in order by:

Jimi Hendrix (a very original rendition)

Dave Matthews (also original with a surprising intro that sneaks up on you)

Bob Dylan (hey, he wrote it and sang it the way he "heard" it)

Dave Mason (who did it but added nothing - just rocked up the Dylan version)