Kawika Mitchell says he's in a dogfight for his job

It didn't have John's byline but I'm assuming it's his work. And of course ESPN puts a picture of our buddy Tim Graham next to the piece.

Anyways, good stuff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

I hope for two things: one is that Mitchell stays on the team, and second is that he doesn't mind being a backup.

I hope for two things: one is that Mitchell stays on the team, and second is that he doesn't mind being a backup.

I think collecting his check would make him a whole lot happier than being on the street because he refused a backup role. He wouldn't get close to the $3 million or so the Bills are paying him anywhere else.

I like Mitchell. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. Having him and Puz at MLB looks to be a solid duo. Now, who the heck is going to play OLB. Maybin and Kelsay look to be exploited by the oppsition.

I imagine Ellison will be on his way out. In any other scenario it would prob be Mitchell, but we need a guy w/ Mitchell's size on the roster.

That being said, I don't understand this sentence:

Mitchell is considered an inside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme, and is competing with Paul Posluszny for the spot to play alongside Andra Davis, an offseason free-agent addition, who's taken over the play-calling duties.

I understand Davis is the guy calling the plays and thus is seen as the most likely to start. But Poz is far and away the better player and he too is adept at play calling. Davis might just be calling the plays at the moment bc he is the only guy who has previously played in the 3-4. Regardless, there is no way Poz is out of the starting lineup. 0 chance. Mitchell's best shot is taking out Davis.

I imagine Ellison will be on his way out. In any other scenario it would prob be Mitchell, but we need a guy w/ Mitchell's size on the roster.

I understand Davis is the guy calling the plays and thus is seen as the most likely to start. But Poz is far and away the better player and he too is adept at play calling. Davis might just be calling the plays at the moment bc he is the only guy who has previously played in the 3-4. Regardless, there is no way Poz is out of the starting lineup. 0 chance. Mitchell's best shot is taking out Davis.

I agree, it's Mitchell vs. Davis. Davis has the edge in the 3-4 and liekly CG and staff watched Mitchell take a lot of plays off in the film they reviewed.

I like Ellison and appreciate the effort he gives, but this might be the end of the road for him. The team has loaded up on linebackers, and his size and relative lack of strength will probably leave him on the outside looking in.

I respect Mitchell for the whole Cardinals Warner incident after Adrian Wilson, knocked out Trent. I still cant believe no penalty was called. He hit him with the crown of his helmet right in the chin.

Remember that. What surprised me even more was Kurt W just shrugging it off. Tough guy.

"Mitchell is considered an inside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme, and is competing with Paul Posluszny for the spot to play alongside Andra Davis, an offseason free-agent addition, who's taken over the play-calling duties."

Well as Fingon pointed out, Mitchell is a fairly pricey player.

So the implied question is whether the Bills would retain Mitchell as a high-priced backup.

More likely Kelsay on the OLB spot.

True. Now I wish we had the same level of competition at Left Tackle.

Ding Ding Ding! Great answer....so many of us Bills fans get cought up with the player/flavor of the month. Last year, all the folks saying Langston Walker...then Bell then this guy or this 5th round draft pick is gonna make our O-Line great.....yeah....right. But the coach says...and his pre-draft bio says.....high-motor, never takes a play off....lives in the weight room, eat breathes and.....you get the idea. Don't believe the hype! Our O-line is the definition of a work in progress......and probably an early work. :lol:

More likely Kelsay on the OLB spot.

I too was thinking Mitchell would be a good OLB in the 3-4. I admit I don't know much about the 3-4, but the OLBs are the pass rushers or so I've heard. In 2008 Mitchell was awesome when he came after the QB on the blitz. Regardless I hope he makes the team.

I think that Gailey is putting everyone on even ground at all possitions not just QB.

I don't think Poz is far and away better than any of the LB's that we have.

I don't think Poz is about to lose his job but he has below average instincts for a LB which is just one of the factors why we faired so poorly against the run. Mitchell does have better instincts and is stronger at the point of attack. Which is probably why Poz is trying to bulk up which I think is smart. Let's face it Poz is missing half of the time anyway.

Don't be surprised if the competition for ILB turns out to be between Mitchell and Poz.

Keep in mind there are no great LB's on this team...they are all expendable.

I am hoping that some of the new talent proves to be better than than Poz and Mitchell..thats the only way we will get better.

Gailey wants all of the LB's to be able to call the plays.

It will be interesting how it shakes out.

But I think it's smart for Mitchell to realize he is in a dog fight at LB...all of the LB's should realize this.