Maybin Running With The 1st Team

H2o

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Bills 2009 first-round pick Aaron Maybin is running with the starting defense at Organized Team Activities. He's bookended by Chris Kelsay. Maybin will likely play right outside 'backer, or the premier pass rushing position in a 3-4 defense. Especially if Aaron Schobel doesn't return, Maybin will be a good bet to lead Buffalo in sacks.

I'd like to see Maybin get his first NFL sack, period. I really hope the change to the 3-4 was all this guy needed to be more effective. Hopefully he can keep the added weight on this year and be able to play with more strength. He has the quickness, let's just hope he puts it all together after having a full offseason and training camp to make progress. :thumbsup:

Maybin will have his first period before he grows a sack.

I really hope the guy does well. I think he is weak and will get pushed around a lot, but could be a good tackler and good in pursuit. He might even learn to cover, with his good speed.

I really hope the guy does well. I think he is weak and will get pushed around a lot, but could be a good tackler and good in pursuit. He might even learn to cover, with his good speed.

Stay classy. :thumbsup: But considering you're a guy who admits to having sex with 15 yos for drugs, maybe there is no class.

Also, it's gotta be great to insult a NFL player on a message board without facing any consequences.

Stay classy. :thumbsup: But considering you're a guy who admits to having sex with 15 yos for drugs, maybe there is no class.

Also, it's gotta be great to insult a NFL player on a message board without facing any consequences.

You can't expect much better. ;)

Stay classy. ;) But considering you're a guy who admits to having sex with 15 yos for drugs, maybe there is no class.

My friend...your train has completely jumped off the rails this past week. Let's get back on track. :thumbsup:

stuck

I'd like to see Maybin get his first NFL sack, period. I really hope the change to the 3-4 was all this guy needed to be more effective. Hopefully he can keep the added weight on this year and be able to play with more strength. He has the quickness, let's just hope he puts it all together after having a full offseason and training camp to make progress. :thumbsup:

he will have no problem kepping the weight on at all he a big kid. he's so young he will only get bigger and the added weight will not slow him down one bit. for his size 250 is no problem @ all!

how the hell can you say he is weak? thats absolutely ridiculous! the guy is absolutely chiseled and is a weight room freak.

secondly he will definatly not get pushed around because he will not be going up against 340 lb tackles as a 3/4 OLB instead he will be going against running backs and TEs which in most cases he will be bigger and stronger than.

the job of taking on the tackles and setting the edge in a 3/4 will now fall on our DE's.

I thought the big strength of Maybin's game was his supposedly unbelievable first step off the snap. Not sure how that's gonna help him now that he's playing 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. I'm hoping for the best, but wouldn't be surprised either at someone else taking this job.

This guy has "BUST" written all over him. Another example of the Bills front office passing on the pick of Michael Oher or Brian Orakpo. Wondering what we will be seeing about the Spiller and Troupe pick in the years to come. I would have liked to see Andre Davis and Jimmy Clausen picked 1-2.

This guy has "BUST" written all over him. Another example of the Bills front office passing on the pick of Michael Oher or Brian Orakpo. Wondering what we will be seeing about the Spiller and Troupe pick in the years to come. I would have liked to see Andre Davis and Jimmy Clausen picked 1-2.

Your predictions have been duly noted.

he will have no problem kepping the weight on at all he a big kid. he's so young he will only get bigger and the added weight will not slow him down one bit. for his size 250 is no problem @ all!

Maybin is probably 230. After seeing him at practice next to other guys who are listed at 240 or 250, maybin looked much smaller. He is much smaller than Batten. He has small shoulders and narrow hips. He is very lean and chiseled.

Maybin will not be a powerful linebacker. He has speed, and may have range, and is a good tackler, but holding up at the point of attack will be a problem for him.

Who is Andre Davis? The WR drafted by the Browns in 2002? :lol: That's some sharp draft work there, bud. Did you mean ANTHONY DAVIS???

PTR

Maybin is probably 230. After seeing him at practice next to other guys who are listed at 240 or 250, maybin looked much smaller. He is much smaller than Batten. He has small shoulders and narrow hips. He is very lean and chiseled.

Maybin will not be a powerful linebacker. He has speed, and may have range, and is a good tackler, but holding up at the point of attack will be a problem for him.

I've posted before that not only does he have a small frame from a biomechanical perspective (shoulder joint to shoulder joint, hip joint to hip joint, etc), but also the girth of his limbs is small. He has small wrists and elbows…probably his femur and all his major bones are of small diameter.

Put differently, there are probably many NFL players of Maybin's height, whose bones alone are 10-25 pounds heavier than Maybin's.

Maybin may not be bigger than Terrell Owens is.

Some players struggle to keep weight off. Others struggle to keep weight on.

I don't know if Aaron will become a good player or not but I feel that he's one of those guys that will have a hard time adding and keeping on, muscle mass.

how the hell can you say he is weak? thats absolutely ridiculous! the guy is absolutely chiseled and is a weight room freak.

secondly he will definatly not get pushed around because he will not be going up against 340 lb tackles as a 3/4 OLB instead he will be going against running backs and TEs which in most cases he will be bigger and stronger than.

the job of taking on the tackles and setting the edge in a 3/4 will now fall on our DE's.

:lol:

;)

and :bag:

Maybin is the next Vernon Golston. A big fat BUST...What a terible first round pick. A one year college wonder who had potential bust written all over him. The Bills took a chance and picked him when we needed OL help so bad. This year we need OL help and we take Spiller.. Am I lost on what direction this team is taking? I thought a solid OL and QB was or is the way to building a championship caliber team. We seem to have niether. I don't think a team can win games with a solid secondary only. I am surprised the team didn't take a DB in the draft?

I'd like to see Maybin get his first NFL sack, period. I really hope the change to the 3-4 was all this guy needed to be more effective. Hopefully he can keep the added weight on this year and be able to play with more strength. He has the quickness, let's just hope he puts it all together after having a full offseason and training camp to make progress. :lol:

There's a chance. Let's hope.

I thought the big strength of Maybin's game was his supposedly unbelievable first step off the snap. Not sure how that's gonna help him now that he's playing 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. I'm hoping for the best, but wouldn't be surprised either at someone else taking this job.

If he's the rush backer, he'll be playing right on the line.

The Bills OLB's are the weakest spot on the team. Kelsay and Maybin make me have nightmares of Brady dropping back, shaving, blowing a kiss to Gizelle and tossing a 70 yd bomb to Moss. All this while the dynamic duo of Kelsay and Maybin look like they are caught in a gigantic spider web.

The Bills OLB's are the weakest spot on the team. Kelsay and Maybin make me have nightmares of Brady dropping back, shaving, blowing a kiss to Gizelle and tossing a 70 yd bomb to Moss. All this while the dynamic duo of Kelsay and Maybin look like they are caught in a gigantic spider web.

But, it'll be tricky because Brady will never know which one of the two will be falling back into coverage in the middle of the field and trying to stay with Kevin Faulk. Better yet, maybe Kyle Williams can fall back into coverage since one doesn't want Maybin's "quick first step" talent wasted, might as well just send him straight up the field every play. :devil:

Ya I'm sure this team would be so much better if you were calling the shots. There is a reason the people in the front office are in the front office, they're smarter than any of us.

Maybin a bust...give me break! He hardly had any play last year, his ROOKIE year.

standup, turn your bar stool back over and stop screwing yourself with talks of last season.

New coach, new offense, completely new defense=new team

Your predictions have been duly noted.

well done doc, now note this......the buffalo bills will finish the season with an afc east winning 10-6 record after having posting a 4-2 record in the afc east for the first time since 07 when bills swept all but NE. home games include cleveland, , jaxonville, chicago, pittsburgh, and detroit, as well as the division foes. i will say we should go 3-2 against those five at home, bringing the total to 7wins.

looking at the road schedule, its tough to assume they will go 3-2 against the remaining scheduled road teams but lets take a look.....green bay and baltimore are early tests, however if they can squeek one of those out then they have KC with whom gailey would like to stick it to.... minnesota is a huge question mark (much like the Bills are to outsiders) as are the bengals.

now i understand this all seems crazy to you now, but after watching skeletor jauron bungle wins over playoff teams with imo a less talented group than gailey has to work with....the bills suffered through four injury riddled seasons due to lack of strength and from the play in the fourth qtr, conditioning.

did jauron grab leodis before he fumbled and say "you catch it in the end zone, you take a knee, you hear me!?" doubt it, will gailey? i dont know, but i guarantee he wont try to make him feel bad with jauron like silent treatment.

as a former player of football, rugby, hockey, wrestling, and soccer it was key to every teams success to believe in the coach and that that coach ooze confidence. now i dont know dick jauron personally, but if he was MY coach i wouldnt have any picked up any confidence from him... knowing the coach was playing to not lose made it difficult for the players, you could see it in the locker room interviews which leads to the final point of this final coffee powered madness.....

.....and that is the fact that the Bills now have an extremely talented offensive mind manning the ship, one who expects to be the guy that everyone looks to to pick the perfect play that he has been stashing in his mind for this exact opportunity , one who is THE guy, the head honcho, a working mans coach with a refreshing approach and motivating optimism that seems to have pervaded this group of talented young players who are apparently sick of mediocrity, as illustrated by 99% attendance at VOLUNTARY camp

I've posted before that not only does he have a small frame from a biomechanical perspective (shoulder joint to shoulder joint, hip joint to hip joint, etc), but also the girth of his limbs is small. He has small wrists and elbows…probably his femur and all his major bones are of small diameter.

Put differently, there are probably many NFL players of Maybin's height, whose bones alone are 10-25 pounds heavier than Maybin's.

I don't know if Aaron will become a good player or not but I feel that he's one of those guys that will have a hard time adding and keeping on, muscle mass.

Since you've already measured his bones and the distance between his major joints on both sides, what can you tell us about the shape of his skull?

I think a lot of people are forgetting how young the kid is. I hardly put on any weight between the ages of 17 and 23. Since I was about 25 I've been steadily putting it on. I would expect most people follow that curve or a similar one. Why does everyone think that he won't get any bigger? And since when has everyone become a bone-development expert?

Maybin is the next Vernon Golston. A big fat BUST...What a terible first round pick. A one year college wonder who had potential bust written all over him. The Bills took a chance and picked him when we needed OL help so bad. This year we need OL help and we take Spiller.. Am I lost on what direction this team is taking? I thought a solid OL and QB was or is the way to building a championship caliber team. We seem to have niether. I don't think a team can win games with a solid secondary only. I am surprised the team didn't take a DB in the draft?

If he were fat I think a whole lot more Bills fans would like him. I don't know how one has "potential" bust written all over him. It's as though he has "potential" written all over him as well. The fact is, after one year, he's pretty much what he was when they drafted him: unfulfilled potential. So what? We'll see in the course of a few years. Just because he wasn't the wisest pick doesn't mean he can't be a good player for the Bills. I'd prefer to see him become that than to win an internet argument that he was the wrong pick and a guaranteed bust.

:devil::unsure:

.....and that is the fact that the Bills now have an extremely talented offensive mind manning the ship, one who expects to be the guy that everyone looks to to pick the perfect play that he has been stashing in his mind for this exact opportunity , one who is THE guy, the head honcho, a working mans coach with a refreshing approach and motivating optimism that seems to have pervaded this group of talented young players who are apparently sick of mediocrity, as illustrated by 99% attendance at VOLUNTARY camp

To be fair, the Bills have always had an EXCELLENT turnout at their voluntary OTAs. Even with Juaron, Mularkey and Williams. That's not new at all.

What also isn't new is the utter lack of talent on the roster in key positions. This team has ALWAYS had heart. They always play hard. But they haven't always had the talent. That's been the problem.

But back on topic ... I remember that the pre-draft analysis of Maybin was that he was going to be a great OLB in a 3-4 scheme and was a huge risk in a 4-3? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes a big step forward this season in a position that's better suited to his talent.

But I honestly don't know much about 3-4 defenses other than what I saw from the team in the 90s...

Since you've already measured his bones and the distance between his major joints on both sides, what can you tell us about the shape of his skull?

I think a lot of people are forgetting how young the kid is. I hardly put on any weight between the ages of 17 and 23. Since I was about 25 I've been steadily putting it on. I would expect most people follow that curve or a similar one. Why does everyone think that he won't get any bigger? And since when has everyone become a bone-development expert?

I dont think it takes a doctor of osteopathy to see that he has a more slight frame than most football players. Maybin is not built like Takeo Spikes. I understand what you are saying, but I dont think we are talking eugenics when we say he doesnt have broad shoulders.

You're not getting it. My point is that there's a difference between being skinny (for whatever reason, age, metabolism) and having a small bone structure.

I am not a bone development expert but I do happen to have two eyes.

My eyes have in the past told me that Paul Posluszny has a large neck and that Ryan Fitzpatrick has a large skull. I've further noticed that Bryant McKinnie has large feet and that Hines Ward is thickly built for a wide receiver.

In addition:

I have seen lots of photos of Maybin, shirtless, that others have posted here.

I have seen plenty of video on Maybin from BB.com.

I have caught many glimpses of Maybin at Bills games on television.

I have listened to the very recent testimony of people who were at this weekend's open practice who were quite taken at how small Maybin looks, standing next to the other linebackers.

Shall I continue? The guy has a small bone structure. It's obvious to most people.

Have you not played sports and noticed how different people's bodies can be?

If Roscoe Parrish was 19 years old would you assume that someday he'd fill out and have the same build as Maurice Jones-Drew?

Again, there's a difference between being skinny and having small bones.

I dont think it takes a doctor of osteopathy to see that he has a more slight frame than most football players. Maybin is not built like Takeo Spikes. I understand what you are saying, but I dont think we are talking eugenics when we say he doesnt have broad shoulders.

Well that's good, because TKO is a 4-3 LB and doesn't play the same position genius. BTW, Maybin hasn't been 230 since finishing college last year, before working out for the combine. It's amazing how some of you disregard facts in order to trash players who have barely had a chance to prove themselves. Maybin is currently listed at 250 lbs. You could have looked that up yourself instead of pulling 230 out of you ass. And just because I'm feeling generous, here are some other pretty decent 3-4 backers for comparison:

James Harrison 6'0" 242lbs

Ray Lewis 6'1" 250lbs

oh, and:

Takeo Spikes 6'2" 242lbs

There are other examples of the Bills front office passing on Oher and Orakpo?

Ya I'm sure this team would be so much better if you were calling the shots. There is a reason the people in the front office are in the front office, they're smarter than any of us.

Maybin a bust...give me break! He hardly had any play last year, his ROOKIE year.

standup, turn your bar stool back over and stop screwing yourself with talks of last season.

New coach, new offense, completely new defense=new team

Ngata & Mangold

Trade up for P. Willis, not Poz (Or at least try really really hard)

R.Clady & Limas Sweed

Orakpo

Ill give you Sweed, but who would you have picked? - Your arguement doesnt hold water when the majority of this board would have drafted better than the Bills have (1st round anyways) over the past decade.

Well that's good, because TKO is a 4-3 LB and doesn't play the same position genius.

BTW, Maybin hasn't been 230 since finishing college last year, before working out for the combine. It's amazing how some of you disregard facts in order to trash players who have barely had a chance to prove themselves. Maybin is currently listed at 250 lbs. You could have looked that up yourself instead of pulling 230 out of you ass. And just because I'm feeling generous, here are some other pretty decent 3-4 backers for comparison:

James Harrison 6'0" 242lbs

Ray Lewis 6'1" 250lbs

oh, and:

Takeo Spikes 6'2" 242lbs

Here's what we know of Aaron Maybin's weight.

At the combine last year, Maybin weighed 249 pounds. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aaron-maybin?id=80433

On May 25th of this year (two weeks ago today), Chris Brown reported:

"Maybin has successfully add more lean muscle mass to his frame through the spring. Weighing in the mid-240’s when he reported for the start of the offseason conditioning program in late March, the linebacker added five more pounds by rookie minicamp and is listed as 250 on the team’s roster."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...14-8c6d429edc25

So in the last 14 months, Maybin has essentially gained no weight, in spite of his weight being a big point of emphasis.

I'm not criticizing Maybin. I've stated numerous times that I don't have any idea if he will succeed. There is almost zero video on the guy, from college or the pros. He simply hasn't played many snaps in the last four years.

Like many others, I'm simply pointing out that Aaron is a rangy, guy who is not thickly built. Look at him and trust your eyes. It's not rocket science.

To go a step further, name the skinny pass rushers in recent memory.

I can remember 3. Simeon Rice, Jevon Kearse, and Jason Taylor.

Most great pass rushers (even if they're not really heavy) have power, leverage and explosion. When their outside speed rush is overplayed, a great pass rusher, can counter and drive the blocker back into the quarterback.

I'll believe that Aaron can drive a blocker into the quarterback when I see it.

I read this entire thread, and it's pretty entertaining, and inciteful, i did not know about bone density as a potential factor on whether you could be a bust or not, but i have a few points that are pretty irrefutable:

1. Maybin has not played linebacker in the NFL yet to even be judged on whether he will be good or not.

2. Maybin has not played enough snaps in the NFL to even have his performance graded from last year.

3. Given his small size as a DE, and having the ass-hat coaching staff and system of last year, there is no way he can be graded on how he performs in a defensive system period.

Sorry, you can't write "bust" all over him if you don't have anything to base it off of. Watching him play last year i was painfully obvious he didn't get very much playing time due to his size and the lame-ass coaching staff trying to stay close in games.

Again, how about letting a half-way competent coaching staff coach this guy for a season before you nail him to the "bust" cross. Seriously, I'd hate to see any of you negative-nancys serve on a jury.

Here's what we know of Aaron Maybin's weight.

At the combine last year, Maybin weighed 249 pounds. http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aaron-maybin?id=80433

On May 25th of this year (two weeks ago today), Chris Brown reported:

"Maybin has successfully add more lean muscle mass to his frame through the spring. Weighing in the mid-240’s when he reported for the start of the offseason conditioning program in late March, the linebacker added five more pounds by rookie minicamp and is listed as 250 on the team’s roster."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...14-8c6d429edc25

So in the last 14 months, Maybin has essentially gained no weight, in spite of his weight being a big point of emphasis.

I'm not criticizing Maybin. I've stated numerous times that I don't have any idea if he will succeed. There is almost zero video on the guy, from college or the pros. He simply hasn't played many snaps in the last four years.

Like many others, I'm simply pointing out that Aaron is a rangy, guy who is not thickly built. Look at him and trust your eyes. It's not rocket science.

To go a step further, name the skinny pass rushers in recent memory.

I can remember 3. Simeon Rice, Jevon Kearse, and Jason Taylor.

Most great pass rushers (even if they're not really heavy) have power, leverage and explosion. When their outside speed rush is overplayed, a great pass rusher, can counter and drive the blocker back into the quarterback.

I'll believe that Aaron can drive a blocker into the quarterback when I see it.

All valid and I wasn't criticizing you SanJose, I think the questions brought up about his bone structure/density are intriguing - I don't know enough about the subject to form an opinion one way or the other.

I do know that Maybin is a few inches taller than the average LB, perhaps making him seem leaner and lighter than he actually is in comparison with some other guys.

What I don't understand and can't tolerate is posters who dismiss the guy outright without seeing him play one snap at the position, justifying themselves by whining that Maybin is "way too light" for OLB. He isn't. There are PLENTY of 3-4 OLBs that thrive at 240-250lbs, and from all accounts that is what Maybin is going to play at this year.