Nfl sunday ticket; Who's signing up?

We haven't had sat or cable for the last 12 years now, and are over-the-air (OTA) only... but we're right in the middle of 3 DMA markets. I've written before on the consumer forums about antenna and digital transition stuff.

Since we got an HDTV (we've saved so much w/o subscriptions, this is our one-off entertainment budget, and a very decent 1080 set at Sam's for $900) and I got a new laptop recently, it's a little mind-boggling to me that people actually pay for TV anymore. Networks are available by OTA and you can supplement with Hulu, etc. Things seem to be converging toward an internet-based delivery system that might actually provide the holy grail of "a la carte" programming --- meaning, rather than being forced to pay for a package of 30 channels you never watch, just to get the 3 channels you really want... you pay for only the channels you watch. Internet broadcasting might be what finally forces cable's hand on this. If enough people just tell TW, Comcast, Charter, etc. to pound sand with their $80+/month crap, things might actually change for the better.

For the past couple of seasons, it's been a matter of finding an Internet broadcast link wherever I can find one. The NFL cracks down every so often, so it's a matter of people having to stay one step ahead.

I've also been interested in Slingbox products. This is a box --- with no monthly service charges, just buy the box --- that relays an input signal (sat, cable, or OTA antenna for CBS and FOX channels) to a remote location via broadband Internet. They now have an HD box, as well. I believe you'd need a go-between to display it on your TV, say an HDMI-out from your computer to your TV. So, it appears that if you have friends/family in WNY with a broadband connection who is willing to accommodate this (it goes without with saying that kicking such a person a bit of cash or a 30-pack for their trouble would tide things over a bit), it might be a nice solution for providing free broadcast feeds for watching the games (tho blackouts would still apply). Anyone know more about this or have experience with the Slingbox?

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck getting all the sports channels you want with Dish. I have some friends who have Dish and they have to pay extra for all the sports channels I get in a basic pkg.

I heard FIOS is great. My buddy gets NHL, NBA, NFL channels; didn't lose Versus when us DTVers did, etc.

If I switch from DTV, it will be to FIOS. Comcast and dish network are pitiful.

I heard FIOS is great. My buddy gets NHL, NBA, NFL channels; didn't lose Versus when us DTVers did, etc.

I have FIOS as well. I plan on picking up the redzone channel for 49.99 this year... In my mind its a good compromize between the Sunday Ticket and Network only games

We haven't had sat or cable for the last 12 years now, and are over-the-air (OTA) only... but we're right in the middle of 3 DMA markets. I've written before on the consumer forums about antenna and digital transition stuff.

Since we got an HDTV (we've saved so much w/o subscriptions, this is our one-off entertainment budget, and a very decent 1080 set at Sam's for $900) and I got a new laptop recently, it's a little mind-boggling to me that people actually pay for TV anymore. Networks are available by OTA and you can supplement with Hulu, etc. Things seem to be converging toward an internet-based delivery system that might actually provide the holy grail of "a la carte" programming --- meaning, rather than being forced to pay for a package of 30 channels you never watch, just to get the 3 channels you really want... you pay for only the channels you watch. Internet broadcasting might be what finally forces cable's hand on this. If enough people just tell TW, Comcast, Charter, etc. to pound sand with their $80+/month crap, things might actually change for the better.

For the past couple of seasons, it's been a matter of finding an Internet broadcast link wherever I can find one. The NFL cracks down every so often, so it's a matter of people having to stay one step ahead.

I've also been interested in Slingbox products. This is a box --- with no monthly service charges, just buy the box --- that relays an input signal (sat, cable, or OTA antenna for CBS and FOX channels) to a remote location via broadband Internet. They now have an HD box, as well. I believe you'd need a go-between to display it on your TV, say an HDMI-out from your computer to your TV. So, it appears that if you have friends/family in WNY with a broadband connection who is willing to accommodate this (it goes without with saying that kicking such a person a bit of cash or a 30-pack for their trouble would tide things over a bit), it might be a nice solution for providing free broadcast feeds for watching the games (tho blackouts would still apply). Anyone know more about this or have experience with the Slingbox?

I've got a Slingbox and it works great; I've used it to let my dad watch Bills' games from his house so he doesn't have to go out to the bar. Only one remote user can be logged in at a time; still, it's a great product.

As to why I pay for TV -- and specifically, sports packages? In a nutshell, convenience. I don't want to have to plan ahead and find the right internet feed to watch pirated broadcasts with spotty quality that could go out at any moment. I'm fortunate enough that the cost isn't a huge deterrent, so I guess this is a situation in which I know I'm being raped, but I'm trying to just lay back and enjoy it.

The only reason why I have DirecTV is because of the NFL Sunday Ticket! My wife allows me to get the ticket because she would never see me on Sundays otherwise. You want to look at the price in a different way.. look at this scenario. Imagine for $315 you have season tickets for any team in the league. You can still tailgate before the game. You can get up and get a beer or go to the bathroom at anytime. If you missed the play, you can simply you can hit the rewind button and watch it again. Don't get me wrong, if I lived in WNY, you would bet your butt that I would have Bills and Sabres season tickets. However, this is the next best thing and some ways it is better.

My wife wants me to say "damn you". You just made Sunday Ticket make sense to her :ph34r:

I never get to see the Bills play unless they are on primetime. I am in Niner and Raider country, and that takes up my local channels. It may go up, but as long as I can afford it I am going to get it so that I can see my Bills win/lose, or just plain make an ass out of themselves.

I also play fantasy football and their player tracker is pretty cool too. That, and using Yahoo's player tracker on my computer, my wife thinks I am quite the loser.

I was so mad when i went online to my directv account. I clicked on nfl sunday ticket, and price is now $315. yikes!!!

I'm still getting it. Maybe that's why I was mad. lol

So who else is krazy like me? Meaning renewing or singing up for sunday ticket.

My wife and I live in Northern VA, and though there are a couple of Bills bars close to where we live (Grevey's and jimmy's Old Town Tavern), the price of going to a sports bar/ restaurant is worse.

After 2 burgers, about 4 beers, a couple of cokes, and fries, w/tip it came close to $50. FOR 1 GAME!!! Add that up to $50 x 16 games and you get= $800. Not to mention that I really don't like to not be able to hear the games (because there's too much noise) and have to sit on a wooden stool for 3 hours. So, after 2 games we stopped going.

Going to a game is more expensive. Living close to the Redskins and Ravens, the costs are ridiculous! Not to mention the fact that they are NOT the Bills. And tickets are sold out way in advance.

No, the cheapest if you don't live in Buffalo is still Sunday Ticket.

What really p!$$es me off though, is that my wife and I purchased a nice SONY 47" HDTV last year. One of the things I wanted to do was watch the Bills on Sunday Ticket on the new big screen. I was mad to find that DirecTV charges an EXTRA $100 ON TOP OF THE TICKET FEE ITSELF, to watch the games in HD.

The legality of this does not make sense. I already pay extra fees every month to rent an HD receiver, and for HD service to the receiver. The major networks carrying the games ALREADY broadcast in HD. Now I have to pay an ADDITIONAL $100 to view football games in HD?

That makes me mad!

Last year I refused to pay an additional $100 for an already pricey package. But there's a difference. I watched the games in a sort of blurry looking screen, because they were not HD.

Now, I'm probably a sucker, but I'll be signing up again AND paying the ridiculous extra $100 because I want to see the game in greater clarity.

Boy, do I feel stupid writing that.

Where did you read this? I was looking on the DTV web sight and couldn't find it.

It's true.

I cancelled my auto-renewal after last season because I was not happy with having to pay an additional $100 for HD games.

I just called to add auto-renewal back to my bill, and confirmed it w/the girl I spoke w/that the new price DOES include HD service as 'super' fan (I call it 'stupid' fan) has been cancelled. She mentioned that they did the same thing w/MLB this year, too.

So, if you have an HD service and television, Sunday Ticket actually got cheaper this year.

I'm in!

GO BILLS!

Just call up DirecTV, ask to speak to customer retention, and then ask for whatever you want within reason. I don't know what kind of ST deals they're offering yet, but they'll offer stuff like free HD DVR, $10 off your bill for 5-10 months, free HBO/Cinemax, stuff like that.

Umm, but like others have said, the price has actually gone DOWN (unless you got a deal last year)... It was $279+$100 for HD. Now it's only $315....

For those who aren't aware, you also get "Short Cuts," where they cut every game down to 30 minutes for you to watch during the week. Handy, especially if you're a fantasy fan. :ph34r:

I guess I'm rather surprised at the "outrage" of a price cut.... (except for people who don't have HD -- but if you don't have an HDTV in 2010, what's wrong with you?! :wallbash: ).

Oh come on. It's not a price cut. I haven't paid for Superfan since they started trying to force it on everyone to get games in HD. The fact they even did that was a complete joke in the first place. I mean, why does no other sports package have an additional package to get games in HD? Because it's a ripoff to overcharge people and take advantage of the NFL's popularity. It's as simple as that. Nobody cares about Superfan.

So, for me, Superfan has been thrown in every year. Same for most people I know with one phone call. Then, in addition, last year most of got huge discounts by calling and getting an additional $120 off of the $270. The fact that you have to call every year to bargain is enough to now make people hate DTV.

Let's not mistake anything. The only reason DTV still exists in a ton of homes is because they have a monopoly on the NFL package. And because of how they try to treat the customers as royally stupid with this Superfan garbage, they will now be hated right up there with Comcast.

If FIOS had the NFL package, I'd be there in a heartbeat. We've had FIOS cable TV and internet installed in every room but one, and we haven't had one problem, outage, or change in billing since 2007. We did call one time to see when our pricing bundle changed, and they just extended it another two years at the old price.

DTV finally has rubbed me the wrong way, and most people that only have it for the NFL feels the same.

For me, it's not really the cost, it's the way they try to hide it and justify it. Please.

I was so mad when i went online to my directv account. I clicked on nfl sunday ticket, and price is now $315. yikes!!!

If you pay for HD service, the price actually went down by $45-$55 this year as compared to last.

Last year you had to pay an extra $100 on top of the Sunday Ticket rate for HD games. This year, they got rid of 'Stupid Fan', and rolled the HD games into the service.

Now, that my friends...is brilliance.

Oh come on. It's not a price cut. I haven't paid for Superfan since they started trying to force it on everyone to get games in HD. The fact they even did that was a complete joke in the first place. I mean, why does no other sports package have an additional package to get games in HD? Because it's a ripoff to overcharge people and take advantage of the NFL's popularity. It's as simple as that. Nobody cares about Superfan.

So, for me, Superfan has been thrown in every year. Same for most people I know with one phone call. Then, in addition, last year most of got huge discounts by calling and getting an additional $150 off of the $270. The fact that you have to call every year to bargain is enough to now make people hate DTV.

Let's not mistake anything. The only reason DTV still exists in a ton of homes is because they have a monopoly on the NFL package. And because of how they try to treat the customers as royally stupid with this Superfan garbage, they will now be hated right up there with Comcast.

If FIOS had the NFL package, I'd be there in a heartbeat. We've had FIOS cable TV and internet installed in every room but one, and we haven't had one problem, outage, or change in billing since 2007. We did call one time to see when our pricing bundle changed, and they just extended it another two years at the old price.

DTV finally has rubbed me the wrong way, and most people that only have it for the NFL feels the same.

For me, it's not really the cost, it's the way they try to hide it and justify it. Please.

I share your sentiments, exactly (though I'm still a sucker and just signed up for auto renewal).

When we bought our HD TV, we were told we'd have to pay what, $200 (?) to get the HD receiver?

I took one of the Dish Network flyers we get in just about every new mail delivery, along w/the free HD upgrade for new customers, and called DirecTV to complain that I've been with you for 6 years, always pay my bill on time, sometimes do pay per view, subscribe to NHL and NFL packages...and somebody that you don't know if they will even pay their bill on time gets a free upgrade to a HD receiver?

The guy on the phone transferred me to retention and I got the receiver for the cost of shipping ($20).

This past season, I wanted to cancel the NHL package because I am finishing up my Masters Degree, we just had a son, and money was tight. Since it was 1 game into the season, I could not cancel.

I was really p!$$ed on this one, and threatened to leave once my contract was up. Even though I was powerless in the situation, they gave me the NHL package for 1/2 off, and I got a credit on each bill.

Why? This tells me that they are massively overcharging for these things, but more importantly why should a customer have to call up to threaten walking for you to get a deal?

Shouldn't these deals be built in, ESPECIALLY for returning/ reliable customers? Kind of a "the longer you stay, the more you buy, the cheaper it gets" kind of thing?

I 100% agree with you, though. I don't like this as a business practice. And its common knowledge. I actually got the HD receiver idea from a friend who tried it after also hearing it from a friend.

The only reason, the ONLY reason, we have DirecTV is for Sunday Ticket and for the Bills games. I understand that cable offers the NHL. FIOS sounds good, as our phones and internet are also through Verizon.

What I can't understand is why the NFL is content to only deal w/DirecTV on this one. The contract was set to expire early last year, and the NFL just resigned for another several years. Why? And why doesn't cable and Dish Network push more to have equal distribution and rights to broadcast? As you have said, its a huge money maker.

Why is DirecTV the only one able to provide it?

FIOS is awesome, both for TV and Internet. If they could only have the NFL package.

If you pay for HD service, the price actually went down by $45-$55 this year as compared to last.

Last year you had to pay an extra $100 on top of the Sunday Ticket rate for HD games. This year, they got rid of 'Stupid Fan', and rolled the HD games into the service.

Now, that my friends...is brilliance.

got you now.

i didnt have hd service last year, so i went from like 260 to 315. price increased for me. for those that paid the extra 100 for hd last year, price actually went down. cool! i dont think i would have paid $370. Watching the games at $260, but at 480I quality was actually fine with me. Really. better than not watching any bills games, as they get no prime time....

by the way what really sucks about dtv is that you can have an hd tv, which i do, but if you dont subscribe to their hd package, with the hd receiver, they bring your 1080i or 1080p quality tv down to 480!!!!!!!!!!!!! (big ass run on sentence/lol) i always hated that. i couldnt tolerate that for too long. it was either get time warner where they give you hd for free or go ahead and get the hd service with dtv.

like the nfl sucker that i am, stuck with dtv

My wife and I live in Northern VA, and though there are a couple of Bills bars close to where we live (Grevey's and jimmy's Old Town Tavern), the price of going to a sports bar/ restaurant is worse.

After 2 burgers, about 4 beers, a couple of cokes, and fries, w/tip it came close to $50. FOR 1 GAME!!! Add that up to $50 x 16 games and you get= $800. Not to mention that I really don't like to not be able to hear the games (because there's too much noise) and have to sit on a wooden stool for 3 hours. So, after 2 games we stopped going.

Going to a game is more expensive. Living close to the Redskins and Ravens, the costs are ridiculous! Not to mention the fact that they are NOT the Bills. And tickets are sold out way in advance.

No, the cheapest if you don't live in Buffalo is still Sunday Ticket.

What really p!$$es me off though, is that my wife and I purchased a nice SONY 47" HDTV last year. One of the things I wanted to do was watch the Bills on Sunday Ticket on the new big screen. I was mad to find that DirecTV charges an EXTRA $100 ON TOP OF THE TICKET FEE ITSELF, to watch the games in HD.

The legality of this does not make sense. I already pay extra fees every month to rent an HD receiver, and for HD service to the receiver. The major networks carrying the games ALREADY broadcast in HD. Now I have to pay an ADDITIONAL $100 to view football games in HD?

That makes me mad!

Last year I refused to pay an additional $100 for an already pricey package. But there's a difference. I watched the games in a sort of blurry looking screen, because they were not HD.

Now, I'm probably a sucker, but I'll be signing up again AND paying the ridiculous extra $100 because I want to see the game in greater clarity.

Boy, do I feel stupid writing that.

Don't ever pay for Superfan. All you've had to do in the last 3-4 years, since they started the SF garbage is call them, B word about it, and they'll drop that charge. And your arguments that you have used here are the same arguments you use with them.

What makes you hate DTV after a while is that not everyone knows to do this. And why should we even have to go through this garbage every year anyway? On top of that, before you can speak to someone who can actually help you, you have to get through the front line morons who spit you out a company line about SF and what all it is and how you should really crave it.

It's just total garbage. And it's the type of garbage that anyone with any kind of brain will eventually start to hate DTV. Thus, if anyone else ever gets the ticket, I'll be gone from DTV in a heartbeat. Thunderstorms don't ruin the FIOS signal.

I'll get Sunday Ticket again, but I'll go round and round with DTV first. It's just getting old.

got you now.

i didnt have hd service last year, so i went from like 260 to 315. price increased for me. for those that paid the extra 100 for hd last year, price actually went down. cool! i dont think i would have paid $370. Watching the games at $260, but at 480I quality was actually fine with me. Really. better than not watching any bills games, as they get no prime time....

by the way what really sucks about dtv is that you can have an hd tv, which i do, but if you dont subscribe to their hd package, with the hd receiver, they bring your 1080i or 1080p quality tv down to 480!!!!!!!!!!!!! (big ass run on sentence/lol) i always hated that. i couldnt tolerate that for too long. it was either get time warner where they give you hd for free or go ahead and get the hd service with dtv.

like the nfl sucker that i am, stuck with dtv

If you called and complained, you would have never had to pay for SF. On top of that, most people who called last year not only got SF for free, but they also got an additional $120 off of the $270.

It's a constant game with DTV.

I'll be trying the same threatening to cancel trick that I used last year. I got the ticket with superfan for $160 last year. I also get center ice so hopefully that will help. ...If not I'll still probably renew even though I have season tickets and go to all the home games. There's just something about being able to drink as much as I want in the comfort of my own home to watch the Bills find new ways to make me insane :ph34r::wallbash:

i feel like a chump. i "talked them down" to like 3-6 months of hbo or starz only!

this year i am going to talk them down from 315-200. well....at least i'm going to try.

good job billsfanmiami!

If you called and complained, you would have never had to pay for SF. On top of that, most people who called last year not only got SF for free, but they also got an additional $120 off of the $270.

It's a constant game with DTV.

dammmmmmmnnnnn. i thought i had a freaking "sweet" deal when i got them to throw in like 2 premium channels for like 3-6 months. cant remember.

i should have negotiated the price! but thanks for the advice.

I share your sentiments, exactly (though I'm still a sucker and just signed up for auto renewal).

When we bought our HD TV, we were told we'd have to pay what, $200 (?) to get the HD receiver?

I took one of the Dish Network flyers we get in just about every new mail delivery, along w/the free HD upgrade for new customers, and called DirecTV to complain that I've been with you for 6 years, always pay my bill on time, sometimes do pay per view, subscribe to NHL and NFL packages...and somebody that you don't know if they will even pay their bill on time gets a free upgrade to a HD receiver?

The guy on the phone transferred me to retention and I got the receiver for the cost of shipping ($20).

This past season, I wanted to cancel the NHL package because I am finishing up my Masters Degree, we just had a son, and money was tight. Since it was 1 game into the season, I could not cancel.

I was really p!$$ed on this one, and threatened to leave once my contract was up. Even though I was powerless in the situation, they gave me the NHL package for 1/2 off, and I got a credit on each bill.

Why? This tells me that they are massively overcharging for these things, but more importantly why should a customer have to call up to threaten walking for you to get a deal?

Shouldn't these deals be built in, ESPECIALLY for returning/ reliable customers? Kind of a "the longer you stay, the more you buy, the cheaper it gets" kind of thing?

I 100% agree with you, though. I don't like this as a business practice. And its common knowledge. I actually got the HD receiver idea from a friend who tried it after also hearing it from a friend.

The only reason, the ONLY reason, we have DirecTV is for Sunday Ticket and for the Bills games. I understand that cable offers the NHL. FIOS sounds good, as our phones and internet are also through Verizon.

What I can't understand is why the NFL is content to only deal w/DirecTV on this one. The contract was set to expire early last year, and the NFL just resigned for another several years. Why? And why doesn't cable and Dish Network push more to have equal distribution and rights to broadcast? As you have said, its a huge money maker.

Why is DirecTV the only one able to provide it?

As did I. I called to B word last year that DTV didn't have Versus, and being a Penguins fan, I would be missing 11 games that weren't on my NHL package because they are fighting with VS. They then went through a company BS line of garbage about how this was a VS issue, and promptly told them I could care less who's fault it is. I just know I can't watch my team 11 times even though I'm getting NHL Center Ice. I got it for free last year.

I've just had it with DTV. If they ever lose the NFL package, they'll be in trouble.

dammmmmmmnnnnn. i thought i had a freaking "sweet" deal when i got them to throw in like 2 premium channels for like 3-6 months. cant remember.

i should have negotiated the price! but thanks for the advice.

Someone posted the deal inside of thread on here last year, and I reposted it as it's own thread. It got huge and that's pretty much the only way people here found out about it. It then started flying around message boards from every NFL team. Wherever the info started, it spread like wildfire. The longer you waited, the less DTV seemed to want to sweeten the pot for people.

As did I. I called to B word last year that DTV didn't have Versus, and being a Penguins fan, I would be missing 11 games that weren't on my NHL package because they are fighting with VS. They then went through a company BS line of garbage about how this was a VS issue, and promptly told them I could care less who's fault it is. I just know I can't watch my team 11 times even though I'm getting NHL Center Ice. I got it for free last year.

I've just had it with DTV. If they ever lose the NFL package, they'll be in trouble.

you're damn right about that. i just moved and had to go out of my way to keep them.

without the nfl package, i would have dumped dtv. no doubt in my mind. maybe would have rejoined in the future... but not last week. you know how stressful it is to move????

Someone posted the deal inside of thread on here last year, and I reposted it as it's own thread. It got huge and that's pretty much the only way people here found out about it. It then started flying around message boards from every NFL team. Wherever the info started, it spread like wildfire. The longer you waited, the less DTV seemed to want to sweeten the pot for people.

i missed the thread then. i've been coming here for like 3 years.

so then to my next question, WHEN is the best time to BEG/NEGOTIATE with them?

i missed the thread then. i've been coming here for like 3 years.

so then to my next question, WHEN is the best time to BEG/NEGOTIATE with them?

Who knows, its a whole new year. Who knows if they'll even deal.

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/registerform

NFL Game Rewind...see any game AFTER it's played.

PTR

i considered this. one of the side benefits is that my kids get a kick out of me going crazy as hell when the bills make an awesome play. a byrd interception as an example. it just wouldnt be the same by myself on my little ass pc.

but if they keep going up, i will have to consider this option.

I started buying the ticket several years ago as I was spending more at the Bills Backer bar in food and drink. They are quickly closing that gap .... though I am likley to renew as it is convenient to DVR games in case I am out of town or otherwise tied up during gametime.

My wife wants me to say "damn you". You just made Sunday Ticket make sense to her :ph34r:

I never get to see the Bills play unless they are on primetime. I am in Niner and Raider country, and that takes up my local channels. It may go up, but as long as I can afford it I am going to get it so that I can see my Bills win/lose, or just plain make an ass out of themselves.

I also play fantasy football and their player tracker is pretty cool too. That, and using Yahoo's player tracker on my computer, my wife thinks I am quite the loser.

you sound like quite the loser. just kidding.

its weird how a lot of us are willing to spend money on a team even if they are not at the top of their game.

you're damn right about that. i just moved and had to go out of my way to keep them.

without the nfl package, i would have dumped dtv. no doubt in my mind. maybe would have rejoined in the future... but not last week. you know how stressful it is to move????

And therein lies the issue.

DirecTV is alive because of Sunday Ticket. I can understand why they would not want to diversify.

But what about the NFL? I love the Bills and the NFL brand, but they are not of the world's best because they are humble. The NFL oozes greed- and that's not a judgement.

But for me it does raise questions as to where all of this greed, desire to expand, reach more households, etc disappeared to when it came time for DirecTV to renew the NFL Sunday Ticket deal and its exclusive rights. Why would the NFL limit themselves in this situation?

after 8 years of subscribing i am cancelling this year because of the price increases over the past few years and already signed up for dish network. So they not only lost my 315, they lost a customer altogether.

Yea, you do that. Enjoy their DVR while you're at it. :ph34r:

350/16= Less than twenty-two bucks a game. Please.........

You no longer have to pay extra to get the games in HD. You had to pay $100 extra to get Super Fan which is no longer required and HD is included in the price. I guess they realized they were giving it up for free due to customer complaints. I will probably still do my yearly call and see if they can sweeten the deal an little.

Here is an link confirming the new price $314.93.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/nfl

Thanks for that link, it actually bothered me more paying the extra $100 for HD than for the package itself. I wouldn't get it without the HD, it would waste the big new HD TV that I have, so it actually will be cheaper. I might still try the call and B word about the price thing like others have and see if I get a price break.

I think they realize this also, which is why they pay the NFL so much to keep it and why the NFL stays with them.

I think they realize this also, which is why they pay the NFL so much to keep it and why the NFL stays with them.

DirecTV has over 18 million customers. Do you know how many subscribe to the Sunday Ticket package? Let's just say they won't go out of business if they ever lose the ticket.

DirecTV has over 18 million customers. Do you know how many subscribe to the Sunday Ticket package? Let's just say they won't go out of business if they ever lose the ticket.

I did not say they would. Just that they would lose a lot of customers if they didn't have the ticket. There has to be a reason they pay the NFL millions to keep it exclusive to them and why they can charge so much for it. It is a big money maker for DirecTV and the NFL.

I did not say they would. Just that they would lose a lot of customers if they didn't have the ticket. There has to be a reason they pay the NFL millions to keep it exclusive to them and why they can charge so much for it. It is a big money maker for DirecTV and the NFL.

It won't be the death knell of DirecTV like some of the haters are hoping. Of course they make money having it (not so much off the package, but the extra subscribers it brings), but they will carry on if they don't. Honestly, people who get so worked up over their TV provider should just leave if it makes them so unhappy. A lot find the grass on the other side isn't always greener.

It won't be the death knell of DirecTV like some of the haters are hoping. Of course they make money having it (not so much off the package, but the extra subscribers it brings), but they will carry on if they don't. Honestly, people who get so worked up over their TV provider should just leave if it makes them so unhappy. A lot find the grass on the other side isn't always greener.

I agree with what you say. I am happy with DTV and get Sunday Ticket every year no matter how bad the Bills are. I just couldn't see not watching them play. If I didn't miss a game during the '84-'85 seasons when I was still in Buffalo I'm not going to start now.

THe Sunday ticket is less expensive this year. It is 299 dollars for renewal 315 non renewal and all in HD no more Superfan charges. I just renewed with the one time payment. It hurts now but no stress paying the rest of the season and you are all set.

It won't huh? The problem with "going somewhere else" is that no one else offers the NFL Sunday Ticket. So no schitt the grass isn't greener anywhere else if you are an NFL fan.

If everyone had the Sunday ticket, DTV would be in some trouble. No one would pay to have their equipment serviced or worked on just to receive DTV's signal. Why would you, when you could have someone like FIOS when all of that comes free? Their package prices would also have to come down. While it doesn't happen a ton, you do lose signal with DTV in Thunderstorms. Especially the big T-storms in the south. You also don't pay for extra room receivers with most cable companies, that would also have to change.

DTV would suffer if all others had the Sunday Ticket. I don't think it would be their death by any means, but they would have to change their business model immensely to keep people from switching to someone like FIOS, which would be superior to DTV with the Sunday Ticket.

I just wish it would happen, so DTV would have to tighten up a little bit.