Marv Levy - rewind

It's hard to knock the guy who coached the best period in the Bills history, but I think it's pretty obvious Levy was outcoached when it mattered most. Polian built him a team for the ages. Any decent coach would have won 6 straight Super Bowl with that team.

PTR

Right on, especially someone like Parcells.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of one instance where Levy gameplanned a win. In fact his game plan was just to let Kelly do what he wanted. And 95% of the time that was enough. Kelly and the team were that dominant. But when the spotlight shown brightest, Kelly's ego took over from his brain, and opposing coaches knew that.

PTR

"In fact his game plan was just to let Kelly do what he wanted?" That's not fair at all. We were terrific on offense partly because we consistently did a great job of planning which plays would work, minimizing Kelly's choices and making the plays which he had for that game damn good choices against the defense he was playing that day. The proof was simply in the number of points we scored. We were sensational on offense, the number one offense year after year.

Our defense was the problem, our run defense specifically.

He also said last year that our main problem was the special teams.

And blocking kicks. Marv said Buffalo needed to make more plays there.

I heard enough from Marv when he refused to say that DJ wasn't good enough. At that point, it was all about saving face given that Marv hired DJ who was clearly outmatched as many on this board knew.

I've talked to some non-Bills fans, and they would rather have their team miss the playoffs for 10 years than lose four straight Super Bowls. I think that's nuts.

I can agree with that. However, your initial statement wasn't about winning one Super Bowl; it was about winning multiple consecutive Super Bowls.

It does beg a question that I've debated at times in the past. Is it a greater achievement to have gone to 4 consecutive Super Bowls and lost them all? Or to go to one (ala Tampa Bay) and then immediately fall back into obscurity?

Yeah the guy only got to coach what...5-6 HOF'ers? Hard to screw up when you have that.

I can't even remember the name of the guy who coached the Lakers before Phil Jackson.......

I've talked to some non-Bills fans, and they would rather have their team miss the playoffs for 10 years than lose four straight Super Bowls. I think that's nuts.

Well you tell them that you now know what each feels like and 4 strait SB losses wins every time... Oh and I agree with PTR et. al who say that Marv was a mediocre coach who was given a fantastic talent to work with. A great coach whould have won SB 25, and 27. I don't think anyone was beating the skins or the cowboys in 26 & 27.

If this board were to exist in 1986, I think a post would go something like this...

What is cheapskate Ralph thinking, he went out and got another bum as opposed to getting a real coach. Look at this guy's history -

Lifetime 31-42 NFL head coach with a 9-7 best single season record

Took a 12-7 Chicago Blitz USFL team and went 5-13 in his only USFL season

Managed to win 2 CFL championships as the head coach of the Montreal Alouettes, but come on, that was the early 70's and the CFL!!!

The only real college he coached at was California where his best season was 4-5-1

He coached at William and Mary and New Mexico - boy those are real powerhouses

Throw in the fact he is 60 - this guy isn't a has been, he is a never was...

This team is horrible. We have a rookie GM Bill Polian - figures Ralph is going to promote from within as opposed to getting someone of quality...

After going 0-20 against the Dolphins in the 70's, there is no way we are going to compete with them. Marino is destined to win this division year in and year out. He's unstoppable. We are definitely going nowhere.

What's your point?

Here's a fun fact..

Super Bowl Championships...

Marv Levy- 0

My dog- 0

It's a tie.

I am seeing some very ignorant things here. Levy was a great coach. Not many coaches can deal with idiots like Kelly, Smith, Thomas and Reed and get everyone on the same page.

We beat some very talented teams that had great coaches during that era- Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Miami spring to mind. We also beat Parcell's Giants, by the way- and a football game is a football game.

I am seeing some very ignorant things here. Levy was a great coach. Not many coaches can deal with idiots like Kelly, Smith, Thomas and Reed and get everyone on the same page.

We beat some very talented teams that had great coaches during that era- Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Miami spring to mind. We also beat Parcell's Giants, by the way- and a football game is a football game.

huh?

Marv wasn't as good a field general as Belichick, who is probably in the top 3 or so of all time.

As for the other Super Bowl losses, we simply didn't have as good a team. Our offense was absolutely fantastic. But our run defense was never anything special at all, unfortunately, particularly at NT, and it got a lot worse when Conlan left.

We got unlucky in that all of the teams we played in the SB had big bad massive OLs and dominant run attacks. That was the way to beat us. If a team with a different makeup had played us, we would have won.

I always felt that we would've matched up better against SF in 1990, but come on, the Giants got lucky in that game. The Bills were the best team that year. The Bills were underdogs in the other 3 games and had the weaker team so it's hard to blame those on Levy.

What's your point?

Here's a fun fact..

Super Bowl Championships...

Marv Levy- 0

My dog- 0

It's a tie.

The purpose of this post was to make the point that we can't see into the future. In 1986 we had a perennially challenged franchise that did nothing for 20 years. Ralph brought in a never was 60 year old coach and promoted a nobody from the scounting department to be the GM. The team had holes everywhere as they had a lot of "potential" superstars, but overall was severely lacking. People constantly bash management for not filling in the holes and bringing in a "never was" coach and a "never was" GM.

There is a fine line from being a Superbowl caliber franchise and a cellar dweller. A bounce here, a first down there and a couple of wins can quickly build confidence and snowball into long-term winning franchise. Football is an attitude and all the talent in the world doesn't win football games (it does help). There is a fine line between the talent on a 4-12 team and a 12-4 team. There is plenty of talent in this franchise. I am not saying they are going 12-4, but hey, you never know.

The purpose of this post was to make the point that we can't see into the future. In 1986 we had a perennially challenged franchise that did nothing for 20 years. Ralph brought in a never was 60 year old coach and promoted a nobody from the scounting department to be the GM. The team had holes everywhere as they had a lot of "potential" superstars, but overall was severely lacking. People constantly bash management for not filling in the holes and bringing in a "never was" coach and a "never was" GM.

There is a fine line from being a Superbowl caliber franchise and a cellar dweller. A bounce here, a first down there and a couple of wins can quickly build confidence and snowball into long-term winning franchise. Football is an attitude and all the talent in the world doesn't win football games (it does help). There is a fine line between the talent on a 4-12 team and a 12-4 team. There is plenty of talent in this franchise. I am not saying they are going 12-4, but hey, you never know.

A bounce here.. a first down there....snowball into a winning franchise.

Serenity now.

Serenity now

;)

Give Levy a chance. I bet he leads this team to the Super Bowl -- you heard it here first!! Oh, and Polian, even though he is just some schmuck from within the organization, he seems to have a head on his shoulders -- give the guy a chance.

So the thread started with people talking as if they were in the past...then people talking in the present...then one more in the past followed by the present. I feel like I'm on LOST.