Clausen was the pick?

I feel that the Bills front office really made a poor decision not taking Clausen at pick 41. I understand not taking him at pick nine. Too risky and too many good players on the board like Spiller. However, I believe at pick 41 he was a "STEAL." The risk is greatly reduced and he would have filled a HUGE need. Assess our QB situation for this year. It is perhaps the worst in the NFL. All we can say is that we are waiting for next years draft because that QB class is better. In my humble opinion, that doesn't "cut it." Wait til next year.....I am tired of waiting and besides those guys are going to 'BIGGER RISK" if we select a QB with our first pick. (likely a top 5 -10 pick)

Also, I think from a fan prospestive this year would be a lot more exciting with Clausen on the roster. Remember the TO signing...It was fun to have TO in the Buffalo limelight and have some media attention. Right now, all of us would be glued to the Clausen updates and hoping he is the one. Today, I read that Fitz took the snaps today and Edwards yesterday. BOY IS THAT EXCITING...Perhaps Clausen could have stepped right in and started for us. What do we have to loose? Heck, I believe this season is a bust anyway. Its a season of learnng, growing, and building for the future. Which hopefully leads to winning soon. This season isn't about winning despite what you hear from the front office. Objectively, look at the rosters and you have to conclude we don't have the players. PLAYERS win games not coaches...Coaches can aid in the winning process no doubt but they still need the personnel. Our personnel is subpar.

In concluding, Clausen was a "low risk" at pick 41, an instant upgrade to our QB roster, and could have given many of fans a reason for some excitment this year. It was a win win for all of us. Instead we reached for a guy named TROUP who noone has ever heard of prior to the draft. What a collosal blunder...

Tell me what you guys think?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing. Carolina had less to address than Buffalo. What they did have that soured was a terrible QB, whom they kicked to the curb. Then added players to take some heat off Steve Smith. We, on the other hand, well.. you know what we're undergoing..

I was countering the challenge our QB situation may be the WORST in the NFL. Not thatwe're not bad, we just have lots of company.

No problem!... those touchy restaurant waiters on this site flinging plates at me be dam*ed! :angry:

I can't watch this team get run on again all year. We need some defense up the middle. I don't know if these guys will fit the bill, but my god we can't be gashed again by running backs- it's demoralizing.

So fixing the run defense is job number one for me, so DT>QB is ok.

Clausen was my 2nd fav qb in this draft, however, we made the right move by getting troup over clausen. we cant run a 3-4 with kyle williams being the every down NT, and Nix knew that.

Brian brohm prob has alot to do with us not taking a QB high, I think they have high hopes for him.

Clausen could be a stud...or Tebow...or McCoy...or Brown. You don't know and neither does Kiper. McShay or anyone else. JaMarcus Russell was as big a lock as there ever was. Meanwhile the Bills have many more holes to fill, so why play roulette at QB? We were in a lot of games the last 3 years even with the team we had and brain-dead coaching. I think we are on the right track now with Nix and Gailey.

PTR

(1) How does "The Bills did not see Clausen as a franchise QB, maybe not even a starting QB" make my point inaccurate?

(2) "If you commit to him as the starter..." I never stated he would be committed to be a starter. Could be quite the opposite. A second round pick has less pressure to step right in and start. He can learn, progress, and develop into a starter over time. Unlike a first round pick. (ie) Brian Brohm

(3) You are assuming Clausen will fail and the 2011 QB pick will be a successful franchise QB...

Not trying to be harsh or rude...

You're not being harsh or rude, you're just contradicting most of your original premise.

For example how does point 2 not contradict this? :

Also, I think from a fan prospestive this year would be a lot more exciting with Clausen on the roster. Remember the TO signing...It was fun to have TO in the Buffalo limelight and have some media attention. Right now, all of us would be glued to the Clausen updates and hoping he is the one. Today, I read that Fitz took the snaps today and Edwards yesterday. BOY IS THAT EXCITING...Perhaps Clausen could have stepped right in and started for us. What do we have to loose? Heck, I believe this season is a bust anyway. Its a season of learnng, growing, and building for the future. Which hopefully leads to winning soon. This season isn't about winning despite what you hear from the front office. Objectively, look at the rosters and you have to conclude we don't have the players. PLAYERS win games not coaches...Coaches can aid in the winning process no doubt but they still need the personnel. Our personnel is subpar.

In concluding, Clausen was a "low risk" at pick 41, an instant upgrade to our QB roster, and could have given many of fans a reason for some excitment this year.

The conclusion of anyone thinking logically is that you would be expecting Clausen to be starting in 2010, otherwise how is his sitting on the bench going to generate any of the excitement you want to see from him?

Point 1-You're inaccurate because you criticize the team for not drafting a player they have no interest in drafting, just to give you some "excitement". If their scouts say he's not the answer, why would you want the team to draft him?

Point 3-I'm not assuming Clausen fails-just that he's not as good as a guy we can get with our top pick and drafting him would cause us to settle on Clausen & go a different position. All draft sources indicate there are 2-3 top notch QB prospects who will go very early in the 2011 draft. If our scouts, along with every other NFL team think these guys are head & shoulders over Clausen, by about 40 slots in the draft, why would I want to settle on Clausen this year knowing his selection precludes my team from getting a much better prospect next year?

Clausen was my 2nd fav qb in this draft, however, we made the right move by getting troup over clausen. we cant run a 3-4 with kyle williams being the every down NT, and Nix knew that.

Brian brohm prob has alot to do with us not taking a QB high, I think they have high hopes for him.

I don't think Brian Brohm has anything to do with us ( & every other team) not drafting Clausen before he was picked. If a top notch prospect at QB was available the fact that Brian Brohm is on the roster wouldn't have meant anything to the Bills-they would have went QB.

I feel that the Bills front office really made a poor decision not taking Clausen at pick 41. I understand not taking him at pick nine. Too risky and too many good players on the board like Spiller. However, I believe at pick 41 he was a "STEAL." The risk is greatly reduced and he would have filled a HUGE need. Assess our QB situation for this year. It is perhaps the worst in the NFL. All we can say is that we are waiting for next years draft because that QB class is better. In my humble opinion, that doesn't "cut it." Wait til next year.....I am tired of waiting and besides those guys are going to 'BIGGER RISK" if we select a QB with our first pick. (likely a top 5 -10 pick)

In concluding, Clausen was a "low risk" at pick 41, an instant upgrade to our QB roster, and could have given many of fans a reason for some excitment this year. It was a win win for all of us. Instead we reached for a guy named TROUP who noone has ever heard of prior to the draft. What a collosal blunder...

Tell me what you guys think?

Who's to say Levi Brown or Brohm won't step up and be the next Brady? We needed an NT because our D was torched last year..

Clausen an instant upgrade? More like a crap shoot.

The Bills might have had Brown rated as highly as Clausen. They didn't want Clausen no matter what round they could draft him. Why is that so tough to understand? This was arguably one of the worst QBs ever (time will tell) and a guy who has to change his entire throwing motion became a 1st rounder. That's a joke and would not have happen in any other draft.

The fact is Clausen probably won't even play until at least 2 years at the earliest. But why be happy with the 3rd best QB of a bad QB draft? In the Bills' opinion, Clausen is no better than the guys we have on the roster. If they fail, next year's QB draft by all accounts will be really good. I'd rather any of these guys (Locker, Mallett, Luck, Pryor) than Clausen.

The Bills might have had Brown rated as highly as Clausen. They didn't want Clausen no matter what round they could draft him. Why is that so tough to understand? This was arguably one of the worst QBs ever (time will tell) and a guy who has to change his entire throwing motion became a 1st rounder. That's a joke and would not have happen in any other draft.

The fact is Clausen probably won't even play until at least 2 years at the earliest. But why be happy with the 3rd best QB of a bad QB draft? In the Bills' opinion, Clausen is no better than the guys we have on the roster. If they fail, next year's QB draft by all accounts will be really good. I'd rather any of these guys (Locker, Mallett, Luck, Pryor) than Clausen.

Well, some have said that Clausen hung on the board until #41, and that BUF joined the wisdom of the other 31 clubs passing on him. They then proceeded to out-fox the other 31 teams and steal Brown...in the 7th? Nifty! I didn't realize they were so astute...

Well, some have said that Clausen hung on the board until #41, and that BUF joined the wisdom of the other 31 clubs passing on him. They then proceeded to out-fox the other 31 teams and steal Brown...in the 7th? Nifty! I didn't realize they were so astute...

I don't think the Bills ever wanted Clausen, even if he was there in the 7th. And there was a lot of noise about them liking Levi Brown before the draft. I doubt they gameplanned to pick Brown in the 7th but were probably happy when he was there.

Besides Bradford, who himself is a giant question mark, I don't think there was a true franchise QB in this draft. Why waste a pick on a player who are iffy about?

At least 32 teams did not have a franchise grade on Clausen. If he was that good, he would have been selected in the 1st even by a team set at QB. Plus, he seems like a 1st class Ahole. I think you wanted the hype of a franchise QB more than you wanted Clausen.

He's not the guy.

Exactly !! Joe Montana was not that good because he wasn't taken in the first. Brady..... who ??? I don't like the guy (Clausen) and I'm glad we don't have him but the logic's a little shaky to say the least.

Exactly !! Joe Montana was not that good because he wasn't taken in the first. Brady..... who ??? I don't like the guy (Clausen) and I'm glad we don't have him but the logic's a little shaky to say the least.

I agree that it is a bit shaky logic but there is a huge difference. All offseason, Clausen was thought to be the 2nd best QB and a lock 1st rounder. That was never the case with Montana or Brady or any legend Qbs that got drafted late. It is normally a huge red flag when a player projected as high as Clausen drops the way he does.

I agree that it is a bit shaky logic but there is a huge difference. All offseason, Clausen was thought to be the 2nd best QB and a lock 1st rounder. That was never the case with Montana or Brady or any legend Qbs that got drafted late. It is normally a huge red flag when a player projected as high as Clausen drops the way he does.

That I would agree with .only the point in BOLD was shaky

I would more likely agree with this thinking process if we passed on him in the 3rd round, but even still, I don't see Claussen developing into anything more than a Kelly Holcomb type. I few good games, flashes of decent throws, but thats about it. If buffalo drafts a QB higher than rd. 3 again, I would hope that it's a true can't miss QB.

I'd rather have the guys we picked in this year's draft than Claussen riding the pine.