Help me to understand

None of the previous posters have mentioned that Hardy was chosen, because of his size, to catch balls in the endzone in redzone situations. Pat Kirwin of Sirus radio has said that he can't run routes that well. If that's the case, I can't imagine the light is going to suddenly come on. The front office has to ask itself if he can fill the redzone roll. If he can rack up TDs, then he's worth having. If he can't, and someone else is better in the roll that the offense requires, then I wouldn't have a problem getting rid of a former 2nd rounder.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Hardy was drafted, there were a number of fans screaming about height and how a tall receiver would fix the offense. They looked at the heights and weights of draft prospects and started campaigning for Hardy. When the Bills drafted Hardy, other fans that wanted some other WR in their draft mag weren't as thrilled as the Hardy campaign camp. Add that Hardy had a handgun incident and came to the NFL not knowing what a route tree was, no ability to create separation, blew out his knee, and has done next to nothing for two years, and you have a guy that is a serious disappointment. Not unusual for a Buffalo Bills 2nd round pick, but nonetheless a box of tape could be argued to have made a bigger impact the past two seasons.

None of the previous posters have mentioned that Hardy was chosen, because of his size, to catch balls in the endzone in redzone situations. Pat Kirwin of Sirus radio has said that he can't run routes that well. If that's the case, I can't imagine the light is going to suddenly come on. The front office has to ask itself if he can fill the redzone roll. If he can rack up TDs, then he's worth having. If he can't, and someone else is better in the roll that the offense requires, then I wouldn't have a problem getting rid of a former 2nd rounder.

I suspect he has drastically improved on route running as he has been noted as working extremely hard on that during/ after his injury recovery process. Kirwin is reporting on news from 2 years ago and knows nothing of the current player. Not saying that he will make it big but we'll have to wait and see.

Hardy = 35 yr old, 150lb stripper with 3 kids and a C-section scar that you paid $500 to have sex with.

Johnson = 25 yr old 140lb stripper with 2 kids through natural birth that you paid $150 to have sex with.

Thus, Johnson > Hardy

^^

This.

Gangly, loping stride. Doesn't even seem to understand how to use his big body to shield a DB from the ball, let alone do it. He might as well be 5' 8" for the lack of help his height provides. No precision in his routes. He doesn't look like he's knows what he's doing out there. Shame on the previous regime.

Johnson? Just the opposite.

Agreed. He doesn't even know how to run, let alone run routes, let alone run routes and catch balls at the same time.

I will say this though-- seems to have a good attitude.

It's simple. We drafted Hardy #2 because we really wanted/needed a tall red zone threat to complement our smallish but talented other WRs. Even though everyone knew it would take him some time to become a better route runner and better at beating DBs off the line because of the way they coached and used him at Indiana, he could still be a valuable player while he developed because of his size and natural abilities, especially as a redzone/endzone target.

In his second game as a pro, we called his number late to utilize his unique talents and Hardy made a spectacular play, and catch, and tiptoe in the back of the endzone, and we won the game on it.

So we decided never to try that crap again.

In his second game as a pro, we called his number late to utilize his unique talents and Hardy made a spectacular play, and catch, and tiptoe in the back of the endzone, and we won the game on it.

:rolleyes:

That's not the way I saw that, Kelly. Granted, a huge catch in the final minute to come from behind and win. Big stuff there, and rare! I was at that game in jax -freakin' swelterbox!!

But..

I really think it/he was just damn lucky that his oversized right foot happened to plop right into the corner of the endzone. His concentration was solely on the catch -which was high- and his feet just landed in stride perfectly tucked in the corner. There was no stride adjustment in anticipation of being out-of-bounds. Haven't seen him do anything like that since. But hey, it worked. We won!

Hardy drops balls and just doesnt look like he knows what he is doing out there. I have seen enough of hardy to know he isnt any good.

That is CLASSIC. A great representation of board genius. I think we should just cut all draft picks taken before this year so we can really start fresh.

Pat Kirwin of Sirus radio has said that he can't run routes that well. If that's the case, I can't imagine the light is going to suddenly come on.

At Indiana, he was basically told to go downfield and get open. Learning to run NFL routes is a tough process for ANY college WR and it takes time. He's got a lot of work to do coming back from the ACL, but it's too soon to write him off, IMO...

Not sure myself, I met both of them at training camp their rookie season and they both were really pleasant and nice guys. My guess is because Hardy was a relatively high draft pick and Johnson was a sleeper in the later rounds, everyone (well most people) love the underdog. Their draft positions may be why some consider Hardy a disappointment and Johnson someone with potential? Other than that, it is a good question, since Hardy hasn't accomplished much in the NFL, but more than Johnson has.

Hardy drops balls and just doesnt look like he knows what he is doing out there. I have seen enough of hardy to know he isnt any good.

He has played in what a couple NFL games and that is enough for you to know he isn't any good? You should be one of the Bills talent evaluators, the playoff drought would end for sure.

Hardy is a 2nd round pick who didn't immediately turn into a Pro Bowl WR. He hurts his knee so he's injury prone too. I can't believe that you don't get it. I mean, helllloooo McFly. 0:)

:w00t:

Plus, some people liked to root against Bills players. I couldn't imagine if there was a board here after Moulds' first 2 seasons when he didn't get 300 yards. By a lot of accounts, Hardy has matured even winning the Bills Ed Block Courage Award http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...4b-6f6392774d3e

I still have a lot of hope for Hardy as most receivers tend to break out in their 3rd season. Hardy would be teh perfect outside target while Johnson seems like he could be a great slot guy.

Is there a link that shows number of times thrown to verses actual catches?

I would bet that Stevie was thrown to 12 times with 12 catches. That's why we like him.

I do remember a critical 3rd and 3 against Cleveland in Johnsons rookie year.....KER plunk. On the ground drop.....trent was never the same.

It's simple. We drafted Hardy #2 because we really wanted/needed a tall red zone threat to complement our smallish but talented other WRs. Even though everyone knew it would take him some time to become a better route runner and better at beating DBs off the line because of the way they coached and used him at Indiana, he could still be a valuable player while he developed because of his size and natural abilities, especially as a redzone/endzone target.

This is one of the funnier things I've ever read on here. if there was a way I could recommend this comment I would. My girlfriend actually asked me what I was laughing at. (She may be imaginary)

Hardy may have appeared in less games but he certainly spend more time on the field when he did.

For me;

Johnson looks like a shrub trying to catch every sunbeam he possible can and even those he cant reach, whilst Hardy just tries to be the tallest tree in the wood.

For some reason Steve looks more dynamic, more thrilling, more something is about to happen, whereas with Hardy I feel more like praying he'll hold on or won't fumble it away. If it's fair? I dont know. Does it have to do with draft positions? For me no. Expectations? Maybe yes, expected the world from Hardy and fully expected Johnson to be cut. Maybe it just does come down to draft position and underdog then. I dunno.

Need you be reminded we could have drafted Deshaun Jackson? But heaven forbid we have two smaller sized WR's.

Revisionist history. Going into that draft everyone knew the Bills were looking for a big receiver. And lets say we did draft DeSean Jackson, theirs no guarantees that he would have had any success here.