32 teams vs. one entity in the NFL

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tough decision, because although an incentive exists for cooperation, it is hard to prove they would be cooperating instead on pursuing their individual interests if they had the chance to.

Why would the Bills be happy? This is bad for them. They're hardly a top earner in the apparel department.

But they aren't the bottom either. In fact the Bills do reasonably well in merch sales considering their market size and recent lack of success. There is a significant Bills Nation out there.

PTR

Why would the Bills be happy? This is bad for them. They're hardly a top earner in the apparel department.

lol!, that is their own fault!, the current uni's are a laughingstock.. go back to tradition, it sells!, just ask green bay, dallas, giants, teams with the classic look.

This ruling is great news for sports in general. Giving sports leagues above-the-law treatment from anti-trust legislation would be bad, bad news for players, and ultimately fans. It's a complex issue with many layers, but I believe the decision was correct. Unanimous, 9-0 from the Supreme Court, by the way.

But they aren't the bottom either. In fact the Bills do reasonably well in merch sales considering their market size and recent lack of success. There is a significant Bills Nation out there.

PTR

Link? I can't imagine the Bills aren't in the bottom five in merchandise. Market size has nothing to do with it. And if it wasn't for TO, I bet we would have been dead last a year ago. We have zero marketable players that any NFL fan would want outside of being a Bills fan. Hell, most of us don't even know who to buy if we feel like purchasing one.

Figure it's probably bad news for the Chinese knock-off makers.

Today they have to copy 1 base RBK for style, tags, and packaging, then customize per team/player.

Now they may have to make base styles, tags, and packaging for RBK/Nike etc.

So my $200 item from the Bills store may now cost me $25 instead of $20 :blush:

Apropos of very little, Chief Justice Roberts was born in Buffalo, lived in Hamburg and remains a Bills fan.

that can only help, goodell being from the jamestown area originally, that is two , HUGE, actual power brokers with WNY roots. i think it may help in preventing a quick grab of the bills and relocating them .i do not care about ethics,rules , etc, I WANT THE BILLS TO REMAIN IN THE BUFFALO AREA , and having these two on our side helps.

Link? I can't imagine the Bills aren't in the bottom five in merchandise. Market size has nothing to do with it. And if it wasn't for TO, I bet we would have been dead last a year ago. We have zero marketable players that any NFL fan would want outside of being a Bills fan. Hell, most of us don't even know who to buy if we feel like purchasing one.

The NFL only releases the top 10 teams in terms of jersey sales so it would be very difficult to find an definitive source.

Reebok's Vice President Dan White has quoted the Bills as placing specifically in 15th in 2006 and I'd imagine that's about where they stay.

The NFL only releases the top 10 teams in terms of jersey sales so it would be very difficult to find an definitive source.

Reebok's Vice President Dan White has quoted the Bills as placing specifically in 15th in 2006 and I'd imagine that's about where they stay.

I would bet anything there's no way the Bills get out of the bottom five. I've been looking all over and can't find anything other than the top 10 either. Owens did do very well last year though, consistently in the top 15 in sales with his Bills jersey. With him gone, and the Bills not really having anyone else of interest, and no uniform changes this year, there's no way they aren't near or at the bottom this year.

I bet we don't have a top 50 outside of Owens. Maybe 100.

I would bet anything there's no way the Bills get out of the bottom five. I've been looking all over and can't find anything other than the top 10 either. Owens did do very well last year though, consistently in the top 15 in sales with his Bills jersey. With him gone, and the Bills not really having anyone else of interest, and no uniform changes this year, there's no way they aren't near or at the bottom this year.

I bet we don't have a top 50 outside of Owens. Maybe 100.

There was a surprising showing of Bills' fans here in Memphis Tn. Something like 25k fans showed up for the Titans/Buffalo game. The majority were Buffalo fans. Of course that was years ago.

This is very bad news for small market teams. While the players may aplaud the short term victory, long trem they will end up being suckers. If this ruling leads to the follow on effect (which it will) of the larger market owners striking their own lucrative deals, they will squeeze out the smaller markets from free agency and you will turn NFL into MLB. Although NFL owners will still be doing ok with the giant TV contract, the divide between the owners will widen and the league will be less competitive.

The players are idiot sif they think this is good for them. This decision is good for the stars. It stinks for the average Joes, who make up the majority of the roster.

This is very bad news for small market teams. While the players may aplaud the short term victory, long trem they will end up being suckers. If this ruling leads to the follow on effect (which it will) of the larger market owners striking their own lucrative deals, they will squeeze out the smaller markets from free agency and you will turn NFL into MLB. Although NFL owners will still be doing ok with the giant TV contract, the divide between the owners will widen and the league will be less competitive.

The players are idiot sif they think this is good for them. This decision is good for the stars. It stinks for the average Joes, who make up the majority of the roster.

Why? they would still be subject to the salary cap. Teams keep $$ from merchandise sales at their home stadium as it is now. Nothing in the ruling says apparel bought on NFL.com or otherwise cant be shared by the league as it is now. This isnt going to have a huge affect from the merchandise side of things.

Why? they would still be subject to the salary cap. Teams keep $$ from merchandise sales at their home stadium as it is now. Nothing in the ruling says apparel bought on NFL.com or otherwise cant be shared by the league as it is now. This isnt going to have a huge affect from the merchandise side of things.

Probably because the merchandise companies will court teams like the Cowboys much more than the Bills.

For example, do you think that Brandon will be able to strike the same deal with Reebok that Jones will be able to get for the Cowboys? Now not only do the big market teams get to sell more stuff, they will get that stuff at a lower cost as well.

Plus I suspect it opens the door to no profit sharing which is what Jones has been pushing for as well.

I can think of no good that can come from this for small market teams.