NY Times (really!) discusses

It's really unfortunate. I understand he's probably putting in a lot of hours, and constantly has to "eat on the go," but put a freaking treadmill in your office. Pick your food more wisely.

Lately I've been trying to shed 10 pounds. I'm not that big to begin with, but I'm one of those guys who just gets bigger in the gut, so for the past couple of weeks I've cut back on crap and counted (fat/calories) what I was eating. Yesterday I started looking back at what I would typically eat before I kept track, and it's brutal. If food were drugs, I'd be Amy Winehouse. But there are tons of options to eat well and still enjoy your food; you just need to make a conscience decision to do it.

If Christie doesn't take care of himself, he'll be dead before he can do any good. And I'm of the belief that he has a public obligation to take care of himself.

On the weight loss thing, eating well is how you get healthy but to lose weight, you pretty much just need to eat less. I was 6-2 195 a few years ago...not fat by any means but definitely carring more weight than I needed to and am now 6-2 175. I used Lose It (an iPhone app) and just counted my calories to lose the lbs. Lots of free internet calorie counters--one is at the livestrong site.

To me, that's the only way to lose weight. I still have cheese. I still go for ice cream now and then. I drink a beer or two. But I know that a bowl of ice cream is about 1/3 of my daily calorie goal of about 1800 (which I find is about my break-even point...if I don't workout).

Those programs also estimate calories burned from working out. I don't use that--I look at my workouts as making up for all the times I eat a little extra.

Staying thin is funny. I'd always like to have more food and be 100% full. But I don't do it. The Japanese have some saying like "Eat until you feel 75% full and then stop to stay healthy." That sounds about right.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Christie doesn't take care of himself, he'll be dead before he can do any good. And I'm of the belief that he has a public obligation to take care of himself.

I think that before he takes on the teachers unions, he should make sure that his chef is on board iwth his platform too.

On the weight loss thing, eating well is how you get healthy but to lose weight, you pretty much just need to eat less. I was 6-2 195 a few years ago...not fat by any means but definitely carring more weight than I needed to and am now 6-2 175. I used Lose It (an iPhone app) and just counted my calories to lose the lbs. Lots of free internet calorie counters--one is at the livestrong site.

To me, that's the only way to lose weight. I still have cheese. I still go for ice cream now and then. I drink a beer or two. But I know that a bowl of ice cream is about 1/3 of my daily calorie goal of about 1800 (which I find is about my break-even point...if I don't workout).

Those programs also estimate calories burned from working out. I don't use that--I look at my workouts as making up for all the times I eat a little extra.

Staying thin is funny. I'd always like to have more food and be 100% full. But I don't do it. The Japanese have some saying like "Eat until you feel 75% full and then stop to stay healthy." That sounds about right.

A few years ago, I took the simple step of eating anything I wanted, but rationing myself to 40g of fat a day for six days a week (ate anything I wanted the seventh day). Didn't feel deprived, but it forced me to make choices (if I have a turkey sandwich sans cheese for lunch, I can eat more than an apple for dinner.) I dropped my weight by about 30 pounds in about two months.

It's really not that difficult for many Americans to lose weight...because most Americans eat like ****.

A few years ago, I took the simple step of eating anything I wanted, but rationing myself to 40g of fat a day for six days a week (ate anything I wanted the seventh day). Didn't feel deprived, but it forced me to make choices (if I have a turkey sandwich sans cheese for lunch, I can eat more than an apple for dinner.) I dropped my weight by about 30 pounds in about two months.

It's really not that difficult for many Americans to lose weight...because most Americans eat like ****.

This.

I'll have to try this out. Thanks for the idea.

I lost 20lbs by changing my diet only. Did not exercise other that walking around the city on weekends which I always did.

It's really not that difficult for many Americans to lose weight...because most Americans aren't disciplined enough to stop shoving french fries in their pieholes long enough to switch between American Idol and Dancing With the Stars.

Weight loss can be achieved through a few ways but simply: if you burn more calories than you consume, your weight will decrease.

(This is a solid thread hijack BTW.)

In other topical news unrelated to Chef Jim's gut, Congress today barely passed a new spending measure. Why did it "barely" pass? Because in the process of proposing to spend 190 Billion dollars, the bill got shaved by 40B and the House could barely swallow that cut.

So I'm supposed to feel all warm that Congress (barely) spent less than it had originally proposed spending.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0052802854.html

!@#$ you Congress. Really. !@#$ity !@#$ !@#$ !@#$ you.

In other topical news unrelated to Chef Jim's gut, Congress today barely passed a new spending measure. Why did it "barely" pass? Because in the process of proposing to spend 190 Billion dollars, the bill got shaved by 40B and the House could barely swallow that cut.

So I'm supposed to feel all warm that Congress (barely) spent less than it had originally proposed spending.

Hey you !@#$ity !@#$ !@#$ I don't have a gut anymore.

Ya know, if I had known Congress was going to extend unemployment so long, I would have gotten fired a couple of years ago...

:pirate:

And you just know they will tout this as a spending cut.

Ya know, if I had known Congress was going to extend unemployment so long, I would have gotten fired a couple of years ago...

:pirate:

You don't need a Magic 8 Ball to realize that the longer you extend unemployment benefits, the less incentive there is for many people to actually look for work. Unfortunately, this is going to bite Congress in the ass because there WILL come a time when they simply can no longer afford to keep extending benefits. There will come a moment when they're going to say "Look, we just don't have any more money." I suspect they're hoping that time will come after the November elections, but the flip side is that by not forcing the unemployed to take lower-paying jobs (that may be outside their area of expertise), the unemployment rate will probably remain in the 9-10% range for a while.

From a political standpoint, extending benefits only helps with the liberal base, and that will probably not be enough to save them in November.

You don't need a Magic 8 Ball to realize that the longer you extend unemployment benefits, the less incentive there is for many people to actually look for work. Unfortunately, this is going to bite Congress in the ass because there WILL come a time when they simply can no longer afford to keep extending benefits. There will come a moment when they're going to say "Look, we just don't have any more money." I suspect they're hoping that time will come after the November elections, but the flip side is that by not forcing the unemployed to take lower-paying jobs (that may be outside their area of expertise), the unemployment rate will probably remain in the 9-10% range for a while.

From a political standpoint, extending benefits only helps with the liberal base, and that will probably not be enough to save them in November.

Actually, I think the people who do this (ride unemployment) are piss-poor stupid. There are people (tons) who cannot legitimately find a job. Probably the majority of the unemployed (say 80-90% at a bald ass guess). That 10-20% that are just lounging are sacrificing earnings (see below) and future career advancement. As to advancement, well hard to advance sitting on the couch. I know that a two year gap in employment for an average earner would turn me off (I have some say in who gets hired, as I have to train them). So at least in my case, it would make them less likely to be hired depending on their skills.

The State-determined weekly benefit amounts generally replace between 50 and 70 percent of the individual's average weekly pretax wage up to some State-determined maximum. The average weekly wage is often calculated only from the calendar quarter in the base year in which the claimant's wages were highest. Individual wage replacement rates tend to vary inversely with the claimant's average weekly pretax wage, with high wage earners receiving lower wage replacement rates. Thus, the national average weekly benefit amount as a percent of the average weekly covered wage was only 35 percent in the quarter ending December 31, 1999.

While I was looking for the percentage paid out for unemployment (never took it, even when I was fired one time due to a broken leg), I stumbled across this.

Each year, as part of the development of the President's budget, the DOL, in conjunction with the Department of Treasury, estimates revenue expected from FUTA and the appropriate amount to be available for administration. The estimate of FUTA revenues is based on several factors: (1) a wage base of $7,000 per employee; (2) a tax rate of 0.8 percent (0.64 percentage points for administration and 0.16 percentage points for extended benefits); (3) the administration's projection of the level of unemployment and the growth in wages; and (4) the level of covered employment subject to FUTA. In addition, a determination is made based on the administration's forecast for unemployment as to whether the rate will increase by at least 15 percent.

Please, someone tell me I am reading this wrong and that shot I just took is messing with my head. If that ratio is correct, then that makes insurance companies positively awesome. 4 to 1 admin to benefit ratio? Maybe it is just a bad site? :pirate:

Link

When this kind of stuff sells, no **** people will gain weight:

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health-fitne...for_your_health

The biggest culprit is a peanut butter and chocolate milkshake and it can be found at some Tim Hortons thanks to the company's partnership with Cold Stone Creamery. It packs a whopping 2,010 calories, 131 grams of fat – 68 of that saturated – and 880 milligrams of sodium in just one 24-ounce serving.

Weight loss can be achieved through a few ways but simply: if you burn more calories than you consume, your weight will decrease.

(This is a solid thread hijack BTW.)

Weight loss obviously can be achieved by staying calorie deficit for a significant period but you up your chances by building up muscle mass.

I started 245 Jan 2010 and now am about 195. I had to stop lifting weights because school/work was taking all of my time and i don't feel as great.

Weight loss obviously can be achieved by staying calorie deficit for a significant period but you up your chances by building up muscle mass.

I started 245 Jan 2010 and now am about 195. I had to stop lifting weights because school/work was taking all of my time and i don't feel as great.

I work out every day for my entire life. It doesn't hurt. But weight loss is 100% about burning more than you eat.

When this kind of stuff sells, no **** people will gain weight:

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health-fitne...for_your_health

The biggest culprit is a peanut butter and chocolate milkshake and it can be found at some Tim Hortons thanks to the company's partnership with Cold Stone Creamery. It packs a whopping 2,010 calories, 131 grams of fat – 68 of that saturated – and 880 milligrams of sodium in just one 24-ounce serving.

And when did 24 ounces become a serving? ;)

Oh I with you there, but really. I hit Burger King today for my quarterly fast food fix. I ordered a medium soda and the damn thing was huge.

Nothing like a medium diet coke to go with one's Double Whopper with cheese and king-sized order of fries.

;)