Flutie was a STUD !!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flutie was only good if teams couldn't gameplan for him. Once teams had film on him from a few games he was terrible. As soon as he was forced to be a pocket passer he couldn't do anything. Having said that it doesn't follow from what I was saying he was a wrose option than Johnson and I really don't want to re-open that debate.

Flutie was only good if teams couldn't gameplan for him. Once teams had film on him from a few games he was terrible. As soon as he was forced to be a pocket passer he couldn't do anything. Having said that it doesn't follow from what I was saying he was a wrose option than Johnson and I really don't want to re-open that debate.

they both sucked...end of debate :P

they both sucked...end of debate :P

Right...he sucked with the Bills..stupidest statement made today. We went to the play offs 2out of the3 years he started for us. Granted he didn't put up sick numbers but he won and he understood football and made his teammates better, including the O-line.

+100 The Flutie Magic ended when defenders stopped biting on his little pixie-hop move when he passed (or faked a pass.) After than he turned back into a pumpkin. But there is no question he had the heart of a competitor. The guy hated losing. But he was never going to be a great starting QB because his lack of size made it easy to gameplan against him.

PTR

Right...he sucked with the Bills..stupidest statement made today. We went to the play offs 2out of the3 years he started for us. Granted he didn't put up sick numbers but he won and he understood football and made his teammates better, including the O-line.

Let me just educate you on one of the basic truths of football...it's a team game and while he played well in 98, to say he played well in 99 is ridiculous to say the least...the #1 defense in the league carried the team and kept the team winning when the egotistical midget refused to throw the ball to wide open receivers with regularity. Moulds and Reed were wide open a lot when Flutie decided to tuck and run...drives that would've ended with TDs with a real QB stalled and brought Chris Mohr onto the field thanks to the midget.

Giving credit to any single player for wins-losses is ignorant as well as insulting to that player's teammates, regardless of position.

He lost his only playoff start with the Bills when he fumbled after being sacked on the Miami 1yd line with seconds left to go. Somehow the Flutie magic escaped him that day. Funny how none of the Flutie fans remember that, but it's also telling how people blame RJ for the Titans loss when he drove us to what should have been the winning FG. I guess THAT is the Flutie magic...he's remembered for being better than he really was.

PTR

if it wasn't for flutie we would have been looking at 15 years with no playoffs instead on 10. That D was great, but Rob Johnson was one of the worst QBs in NFL history. Who wouldn't take losing in the first round on the playoffs on a fumble compared to **** we have been seeing.

The Bills made the playoffs because the defense was kickass those years. Flutie was a football Dominique Wilkins. Great highlights, mediocre performances.

Since Kelly, it's a debate between Flutie and Bledsoe over which was the better Bills QB...but that's not because Flutie was good. He's just better than RJ, Collins, AVP, Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick (who'd I miss?).

Man, what does it say of the state of our team when we are discussing players from 15 years ago....sad that a whole generation of Bills fans literally have seen absolute dog sh_t for 10+ years...

Sure Flutie was great for us, emphasizing WAS, lol....It's a new freakin millenium!

Let me just educate you on one of the basic truths of football...it's a team game and while he played well in 98, to say he played well in 99 is ridiculous to say the least...the #1 defense in the league carried the team and kept the team winning when the egotistical midget refused to throw the ball to wide open receivers with regularity. Moulds and Reed were wide open a lot when Flutie decided to tuck and run...drives that would've ended with TDs with a real QB stalled and brought Chris Mohr onto the field thanks to the midget.

Giving credit to any single player for wins-losses is ignorant as well as insulting to that player's teammates, regardless of position.

I'll never forget the '98 season…

Rob Johnson was the starting QB…we were 0-3 going into the bye week.

Erkie Kailebourne was Chairman for the Business backs the Bills campaign. The team was trying to sell the suites and club seating to trigger an extension in the lease.

Tickets were not selling.

There was a very real fear that our fair city would lose its football team.

Then Flutie took over as the starting QB and suddenly that AWESOME DEFENSE WHICH STARTED THE SEASON 0-3 went 10-3 down the stretch.

People who say it was the great defense do not have a clear memory of that season.

As soon as Flutie took over for Johnson, the Bills started winning, Flutie Fever took over, the luxury seating sold out, and the Bills stadium lease was extended.

And many Bills fans are ingrates.

He lost his only playoff start with the Bills when he fumbled after being sacked on the Miami 1yd line with seconds left to go. Somehow the Flutie magic escaped him that day. Funny how none of the Flutie fans remember that, but it's also telling how people blame RJ for the Titans loss when he drove us to what should have been the winning FG. I guess THAT is the Flutie magic...he's remembered for being better than he really was.

PTR

The 1998 Wild Card game in Miami?

The game we lost 24-17? (nice job, defense)

The game that Flutie threw for 360 yards and ran for 29 more?

The game where Eric Moulds set an NFL record with 240 yards receiving?

The game where Flutie twice (and almost 3 times) rallied the Bills from deficits?

The game where Flutie led a late heroic comeback, twice driving the Bills down the field late in the 4th quarter?

Do you remember the second last drive…the unsportsmanlike conduct call against Andre Reed? A horrible call by the officials…we had to settle for a field goal.

Do you remember the final drive? Flutie led the team on a 10 play, 64 yard drive culminating with him being stripped from behind on a great play by Trace Armstrong.

Flutie rescued the season (remember our great defense and Rob Johnson were 0-3 before Flutie took over) AND the Bills existence in Buffalo.

And people want to slam him for losing against Miami.

It was after this game that Jimmy Johnson, the Miami coach stomped on a box of Flutie Flakes.

Unbelievable, many Bills "fans" have since treated Flutie with less class than did the Miami coach.

The moron "Coach Dickerson" did one thing while polluting the airwaves on local sports radio: he was able to brainwash many idiot fans into thinking that Doug Flutie did not contribute heavily to the Bills last two playoff seasons.

Flutie was not a great quarterback. But he was the ultimate competitor and managed to win games in spite of his physical limitations. He was a resourceful, savvy, and fiery player. Don't care what kind of person he was. Wish any of our quarterbacks since Flutie had his competitive fire.

PTR

http://www.hulu.com/watch/124259/game-of-t...bills--dolphins