Who is the Odd Man Out

Who is the Odd man Out  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Which current Bills QB will NOT be on the Opening Day Roster?

• Trent Edwards
    • Brian Brohm
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Levi Brown
    • We will only have 2 QBs on the Roster (leave a comment on which 2)

exactly. and for all the 'upside' brohm supposedly has, when is it going to show up? at least trent has had some minor success despite terrible coaching and play calling. brohm hasn't been able to get on the field at all in his career except in the case of an emergency for one of the worst teams playing out a season that was over before it began.

and brohm didn't look good at all in those minicamp videos. and he obviously didnt light it up in green bay's camps either. so this is the guy everyone is rooting for? i was optimistic when we signed him, but since then brohm has done nothing for me to get excited about.

i hope i'm wrong and brohm turns out to be the next jim kelly, but realistically i think gailey knows (despite his assertions to the contrary) that it's going to be trent backed up by fitz, and brown taking it all in on the sidelines.

This is a little harsh, no?

Think about what Brohm had to deal with last year. He went from one system to a new system with only a quarter of the season remaining. He went to a team where the QB coach was also the OC and thus had no time to spend with Brohm to help ease him into the new system. As the third QB Brohm got limited reps in practice with the scout team -- and when he did get a chance to start it was with less than a week's notice, with an awful O-Line, a limited game plan and a team who's moral was in the crapper.

What did you expect him to do? The fact he didn't **** his pants in the Atlanta game is a huge plus. In fact, there were moments in that game where he looked good. And there were moments where he looked awful too.

He's a young QB who hasn't been properly developed. He was stuck behind a probowl QB in GB and then dumped into a team in transition last year. And say what you want about those mini-camp videos, all reports coming out of the camp were that Brohm did better than expected.

The kid has talent. Watch his college tapes and you'll see that. No one knows how that will translate to the NFL though. But they have to give him a full year in this new system, with real coaches, before throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Which is why you can't keep both Trent AND Fitz. If you do, you're dooming Brohm to 3rd string (unless he beats them both out for the starting job which I'm not holding my breath about).

When your team is rebuilding, which this team clearly is, it's not about wins and loses as much as it is getting your young stars (Spiller, Wood, Levitre, Leodis, Bryd etc) experience and finding out which of your young players is a legit NFL passer or just a career clipboard carrier.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I've ever seen a team carry 4 QBs on their roster during the regular season, so something has to give. We all have seen the threads about who should be the starter, what I want to know is, who are we going to drop -- I'm just trying to take the pulse of TBD at this point in the off-season.

Who do we absolutely not need? I suppose it's possible they want to try to put Levi Brown on the practice squad, but I think someone might claim him -- I think he stays on the roster as a developmental project. The other 3, I'm not so sure...

Cast your votes (I've never done a poll before, hopefully the options will show up correctly)

Who will NOT be on the opening day roster:

1. Edwards

2. Brohm

3. Fitzpatrick

4. Levi Brown

or curveball option #5. We won't keep 3 QBs, there will only be 2 QBs that make it (in which case, in your comments post which 2 get cut & why)

Cut Edwards. He is a proven loser.

I would be happy if we got Troy Smith. We should keep Trent Edwards on the cheap and Levi Brown because we drafted and ditch the other 2. Next year we draft one of the top 3 QBs who are better than the ones that came out this year. GO Locker, Mallet or Luck!

Unless Troy Smith is a beast...I think he could do awesome in Chan Gaileys system.

I voted Brohm. But really it's a toss up between him and Trent. The way I see it is if Trent does not prove to be "the man" in Training Camp and preseason, he's out. Unless Brohm is just way worse. Trent will be in the last year of his contract this year. If he can't be "the man" or even close, why keep him? You're not going to sign him next year anyway. Cut your losses now.

I have a feeling that Brohm will be too dumb to impress Chan, which will mean that they have to count on TE and RF to do the job one more year until Brown is either ready or they draft a QB high in the next draft.

Don't think they'll risk putting Brown on the PS, so unless BB is still eligible for the PS, he's gone. There is a reason he couldn't make it in GBay.

Trent might have a few good games, get hurt and Fitz can maybe win a few more. Give Brown a shot near the end. It'll be a long season, but THE PLAN will be to take babysteps towards a real NFL team in the future.

Fitz makes too much money to be kept - he's too inaccurate, inconsistent. They drop him. If Edwards doesn't show much they keep him this year as backup, and Brown as third string - unless he wows people - and he'd have to outperform the other guys considerably in order to move into the top spot. So, it's Brohm, Edwards, and Brown. Or, if Edwards shows he's bounced back enough - and he'd have to be pretty solid, combined with Brohm looking bad - because it's Brohm's job to lose right now - I know they say it's open, but he's the one they hope will make it. So, if Edwards really shines it'll be Edwards, Brohm, Brown. Of course, if they sign a Vet then it'll probably be Vet, Edwards, Brown. Edwards contract is just too affordable this year for him to be let go, when they can always use him as a second stringer for a year. Brohm, though, if he doesn't show he's got it, then I think they look at dumping him and picking up a Veteran.

Agree and I think that's what the people who knocked our draft fail to get. This was a bad QB draft yet they feel we needed to take a QB high. The Bills probably liked Brown as much as they like Clausen. If you force yourself to take a player because you need the position, you end up with Losman.

It's early but next year's QB class should be loaded and really good. If no one emerges this year, we will have a shot a QB who is probably better than any QB in this past draft.

Yep. The one thing I would add is, don't count on the Bills to be picking any higher in the 1st round than they did this year. Even though this is a transitional year with a lot of new faces, new schemes and new attitude from the coaching staff, I think they are going to finish up the season playing pretty damn good football, with a better record than a lot of pundits predict. So hopefully some good QB's will be available in the middle of the 1st round.

If Brohm doesn't impress Gailey then he is the one that is gone. It seems to me that Gailey is sizing him up to either start, or be cut.

Nix made the comment that they new they had guys that could play, and make the throws. To me that would be Edwards and Fitz. I think that they want to size up Brohm to see if they want to keep him around. I think that if Brohm doesn't win the starting job by preseason then he is gone and it will be up to Edwards and Fitz to carry the team this year. That would give Brown a year of tutelage behind the starter and then next year he will be thrown into the competition for QB unless Edwards or Fitz comes out as a clear cut starter for the Bills.

That is just my opinion though.

Fitz makes too much money to be kept - he's too inaccurate, inconsistent. They drop him. If Edwards doesn't show much they keep him this year as backup, and Brown as third string - unless he wows people - and he'd have to outperform the other guys considerably in order to move into the top spot. So, it's Brohm, Edwards, and Brown. Or, if Edwards shows he's bounced back enough - and he'd have to be pretty solid, combined with Brohm looking bad - because it's Brohm's job to lose right now - I know they say it's open, but he's the one they hope will make it. So, if Edwards really shines it'll be Edwards, Brohm, Brown. Of course, if they sign a Vet then it'll probably be Vet, Edwards, Brown. Edwards contract is just too affordable this year for him to be let go, when they can always use him as a second stringer for a year. Brohm, though, if he doesn't show he's got it, then I think they look at dumping him and picking up a Veteran.

The Fitzpatrick makes too much money, inaccrate, inconsistent crowd has no clue.

He doesn't make too much money-how many QBs do you think could have won more games than Fitzpatrick participated in & won with last year's team? There is no way that the team will have 2 of the three backup QBs with one start between them-it's just plain ignorance as to how the roster will be filled out. Like it or not, Fitzpatrick is head & shoulders over Brohm & Brown-he most certainly won't be worse than 2nd string.

The common complaint is Fitz doesn't have "upside". That's BS. For the future Fitz has the most upside-as a backup QB who can mentor a future franchise QB-not the garbage that resides on the current roster. A backup QBs job is to provide support for the main guy-none of the other QBs have the ability or experience to do that. The reason that Trent can't is because he's in the last year of a contract that will only be extended if he's the starter & performs well. Wanting the other guys with no experience to be the primary backup is a joke.

Also, they're not bringing in another vet unless a Pennington situation, like Miami had years ago emerges.

The amazing thing is, it seems this nonsense always comes from someone who thinks Brohm will be the starter-therefore I'm not surprised at the ridiculous conclusion that Fitzpatrick will be gone in the quoted post.

I agree that we cannot stash Brown ...

Brohm is our mystery guy but I think he is going to prove all of the naysayers who have never seen him play wrong and that he will be our guy in September.

That being said, when you seriously look at Fitz and Edwards I think Edwards brings more to the table that Fitz. This is especially true with the new coaching regime.

It may be a close battle between Edwards and Brohm but come September the three QB's on the roster will be Brohm, Edwards, and Brown. Fitz will find a home elsewhere ...

Who is the Odd Man Out

Brown to the practice squad. Duh.

Every year we fans have this terrific fear that our 7th rounders are wildly coveted by other teams. If they were really coveted, they would have been drafted.

Actually, as I think about it, I can't even think of a rookie 7th rounder taken from a practice squad or picked up after being waived by another team for their practice squad. Can anybody think of an example of this? I'm curious.

Fitz - probably the current best leader, but his ability is definitely questionable, also he is clearly the most expensive

Trent - probably the most accurate, but might be too scarred mentally

Brohm - wildcard, hasn't panned out in the league, but if given a shot - who knows

Brown - I like this kid. He has the attitude to make it.

My prediction - If Edwards shows he is not completely mentally fried, he is in (not necessarily starting), if not - he is out. Fitz is two-fold - he either wins the position outright or has to see Edwards fail. I don't think they keep him as a #2 unless TE is completely mindmush. Brohm has a shot to start and will be #2 if Edwards is decent. Brown is your #3.

Brown to the practice squad. Duh.

Every year we fans have this terrific fear that our 7th rounders are wildly coveted by other teams. If they were really coveted, they would have been drafted.

Actually, as I think about it, I can't even think of a rookie 7th rounder taken from a practice squad or picked up after being waived by another team for their practice squad. Can anybody think of an example of this? I'm curious.

If someone else tries to take Brown once he clears waivers, we can match the offer I'm pretty sure.

If someone else tries to take Brown once he clears waivers, we can match the offer I'm pretty sure.

Nope-once he clears waivers he's a total free agent-he can sign with any team or their practice squad. Once he's on a practice squad, he's fair game to anyone who can sign him to a 53 man roster. Just look at how the Bills signed Brohm.

Now, before getting to the practice squad, he has to clear waivers-if someone claims him he has no recourse, because he doesn't have the needed years in to keep him from being claimed.

In response to another question-Tyler Thigpen-7th rounder waived by Minnesota, picked up by KC as a rookie. Also tons more either claimed or chose to sign with another team's practice squad. There was a Bills late rounder 2-3 years ago who went to someone else's practice squad instead of staying with the Bills when they waived him.