Peter King: Strip Cushing, Give Byrd Defensive Rookie of the Year?

Hadn't thought of this, but if Cushing got Defensive Rookie of the Year partially because of the substances he took ...

perhaps Byrd should've been Defensive Rookie of the Year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...om.brady/3.html

"Cushing admitting that he appealed the positive test in February makes it virtually certain that he derived benefit from whatever illegal substance he took during his rookie season. And if this suspension is the result of a positive test at any point during the 2009 season, I'm in favor of stripping him of the defensive rookie of the year award and giving it to second-place finisher Jairus Byrd of Buffalo. These are awards lorded over by the Associated Press, not the NFL, so this is not an NFL decision. I plan to have more on this in my Tuesday column."

Hadn't thought of this, but if Cushing got Defensive Rookie of the Year partially because of the substances he took ...

"Cushing admitting that he appealed the positive test in February makes it virtually certain that he derived benefit from whatever illegal substance he took during his rookie season. And if this suspension is the result of a positive test at any point during the 2009 season, I'm in favor of stripping him of the defensive rookie of the year award and giving it to second-place finisher Jairus Byrd of Buffalo. These are awards lorded over by the Associated Press, not the NFL, so this is not an NFL decision. I plan to have more on this in my Tuesday column."

A lot of people here have said the same thing. Donte Whitner even twittered the idea. Since this is an Associated Press award I think it has a better chance of happening but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Maybe JW can tell us a little about what the thoughts on this are in the Associated Press offices.

Wait, I thought we hated Peter King...according to Bullpen's list of hatred. Something positive from King? Is this allowed on this board?

:thumbsup:

Wait, I thought we hated Peter King...according to Bullpen's list of hatred. Something positive from King? Is this allowed on this board?

:sick:

I lost my tally sheet, but I think your right. We hate Peter King.....but we like this idea, despite it coming for Peter King, so the idea overshadows the man. That work?

And according to Adam Schefter, he flunked the test originally in September, which means his whole season is moot to me. Give it to the Byrd!

What confused me about the report is if he was positive in September, how did he play with his appeal not coming til February.

I dont get the 6 month wait without appeal or suspension, unless I was misreading the context and the appeal took place in september and lasted until february to be completed, and the news is just now getting out?

:wacko:

Not quite...if you follow the link you will see that the quote is preceeded by two full pages dedicated to his pal Brady, with both on and off the field insights. :sick:

Now that King lives in NE, I am sure this just a preview of what we will get going forward.

What confused me about the report is if he was positive in September, how did he play with his appeal not coming til February.

I dont get the 6 month wait without appeal or suspension, unless I was misreading the context and the appeal took place in september and lasted until february to be completed, and the news is just now getting out?

The league is notorious for pushing back appeals and court dates on things as high as felonies with these guys. They don't like disrupting the season for anything unless they can't escape any PR backlash. They let the kid play knowing full well what he did and let him perform and he should absolutely be stripped of the DROY

I lost my tally sheet, but I think your right. We hate Peter King.....but we like this idea, despite it coming for Peter King, so the idea overshadows the man. That work?

Yea I s'pose that works. Where did that list go btw? It got pretty long but I haven't seen it in awhile.

The league is notorious for pushing back appeals and court dates on things as high as felonies with these guys. They don't like disrupting the season for anything unless they can't escape any PR backlash. They let the kid play knowing full well what he did and let him perform and he should absolutely be stripped of the DROY

thats kind of what i was seeing. it should have been either say you want to appeal, or sit the next week.

If the appeal took two months (like it did), he should have been sitting by Novemeber, and ineligible for the probowl, and the DROY. This isnt so much about byrd for me, as it is the principle of letting things like this slide an ENTIRE season.

Favre should just do steroids on the field next year, if he decides its his last -- just in between series on the sidelines.... He can appeal the suspension come february.......

(i know, i know, not fair to drag someone elses name into that - just the first imminent retiree i thought of)

Totally agree... but it's not what you do, it's when you do it. Just look at baseball and Bonds/Sosa/McGwire. Only way this is happening is if Cushing makes a public announcement relinquishing his ROY to Byrd. Doesn't really matter though... next year Byrd will be as good if not better and Cushing will probably see a drop in production (see Merriman)