• T-Bone
    • NY Strip
    • Other
    • Barbarians! Cows are Earthlings too!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A filet is almost void of any fat/marbling which gives meat most of it's flavor. The tenderloin is attached inside the loin so doesn't get much work that's why it's so tender. The lack of flavor is typically why a filet is accompanied with a sauce or compound butter of some sort.

My wife prefers the tenderloin so a porterhouse works well for us. I slice off the loin for her and the rest is for me. :thumbsup:

Yesterday for Mothers day...Roberta had a nice bacon wrapped filet while the rest of us had ribeyes, MR to Rare for everybody, baked lobster for mom. Broccoli w/lemon sauce, corn on the cob (was really pretty good for the time of year), baked potatoes or oven roasted potatoes, garlic bread and a nice cabernet. For desert I got the ladies 3 pints of Ben & Jerries to fight over. A very nice day.

I also roasted a chicken and oven potatoes for my in laws. Busy day in the kitchen yesterday.

My fav would be a prime rib roast. I usually get it 2 ribs thick, heat the bbq to 700 and blast is for a bit till she's rare but warm. Montreal steak spice for me, that's it.

Isn't a porterhouse a fillet and a strip?

Hmmm wonder what's for dinner?

Try this sometime...get a rib or strip loin (or partial loin) and season it how you like (I like Montreal/Canadian Steak seasoning too). Soak some wood chips (for this I prefer cherry and apple mixed or pecan) and get them smoking. Put the loin on and cook indirect until it's done how you like. Maintain the grill temp at 275-300o. Add chips as needed. You won't be disappointed.

Try this sometime...get a rib or strip loin (or partial loin) and season it how you like (I like Montreal/Canadian Steak seasoning too). Soak some wood chips (for this I prefer cherry and apple mixed or pecan) and get them smoking. Put the lion on and cook indirect until it's done how you like. Maintain the grill temp at 275-300o. Add chips as needed. You won't be disappointed.

Mmmm...lion.

Are we still talking steaks?

Visions of Dean in a dank/dark basement...It takes the garlic and rubs it on it's skin.

:sick:

The Italian chicks dig it.

Really? No tenderloin?

Filet Mignon is tenderloin. Other steaks can also be cut from the whole tenderloin, but Filet Mignon is certainly one of them.

do doubt. that should win hands down!

I say T-bone, hey you get strip & ribeye in that!

Actually, you get a strip and tenderloin (not ribeye) on a T-Bone or Porterhouse steak. Ribeye is from a different part of the cow.