Mosque coming to Ground Zero

Moderate muslims do remain silent and it's not because we support the disgraceful events that transpired on that very tragic day of 9/11. The silence, in my case, is more of a feeling that I don't have to apologize for everything that someone or some group may do just because we share some of the same beliefs.

Me and my family and friends have all assimilated to American culture and very much love this country.

If we start taking away people's rights than the terrorists truly did win on 9/11. People should back the proposed mosque near ground zero for that very same reason. We can not allow the terrorists to win. We can not allow 9/11 to divide us as a people. That's what the crazies want and I'm not willing to give it to them. They (the terrorists) would like us to turn on one another so they can have more soldiers for their cause.

Furthermore, suicide and any form of suicide is forbidden in Islam. Killing of innocent people is forbidden. Abuse of women is not tolerated and forbidden in Islam. Making someone convert by force is also forbidden.

Just because some people practice these awful atrocities doesn't make it the rule in Islam. It is the exception. No people, race, creed, or gender is perfect and never will be. We must not allow the actions of few to represent a people as a whole.

Personally, I have friends of all races, creeds, and color. I do not hate anyone and I do not hold groups of people responsible for the actions of few and I suggest you do the same.

The cycle of hate must end or it will lead to the demise of the HUMAN race. Let the hate go, man, it's not worth it.

Why is it that leaders within the Muslim religion have not come out publically to denounce what happened on 9/11 and since? While I agree with you that it is a very thin slice of Muslims that are so radical, what's missing is any voice of opposition to the violence from the Muslim majority and leadership.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that leaders within the Muslim religion have not come out publically to denounce what happened on 9/11 and since? While I agree with you that it is a very thin slice of Muslims that are so radical, what's missing is any voice of opposition to the violence from the Muslim majority and leadership.

Leader within Muslim religion publically [sic] denounces what happened on 9/11

Many Muslim leaders came out speaking out against 9/11 the day after the attacks. The media decided to focus instead on the nutbars dancing in the streets and firing their machine guns in celebration....beginning the cycle of hate that you see today.

I wonder if people would have the same problem with a church being built near the site of the OK City bombing?

I know that all other faiths have had shameful pasts, but the difference is that in todays world the pope would denounce a radical faction of terrorists if it were coming from his faith, rabbi's around the world would denounce a radical faction of terrorists if it were coming from their group. The fact that there is no one denouncing it in the muslim world makes me question why that is. If I did see this then I would probably be much more easily swayed and maybe even sympathetic.

As for this mosque, did you know that one of the plane's landing gear went through this building? That makes it part of ground zero. The imam who's building it won't denounce hamas as a terrorist organization, he believes that America was partly responsible for 911. I am outraged at the insensitivity being shown here by the group wanting to build it. Yes, the mosque can be built, but at what cost to your faith? When the terror groups are using this mosque as a propaganda tool then will you feel that this was still a good idea? It will go from, "YEAY! We proved our point!", to "Wait, why do all these people hate us?" Where is the common sense? Where is the decency? It's wrong and it will have the opposite effect of bringing people together.

If you want the hate to be let go then not building the mosque there would be a good start.

The pope would duck and run, just like he did with the pedophile priests. Benedict didn't start jumping up and down in rage when the abortion doctor was assassinated by a fundamentalist.

If someone can be radicalized because public outrage in America help stop the building a mosque at ground zero, then that person would have no doubt found something else to radicalize themselves over.

Yeah, when they do it, it is fundamentalism, when we do it, it is public outrage.

Yes, but what I am referring to is the lack of significant and ongoing opposition to the ongoing violence. If the vast majority of Muslims and muslim religious leader are peaceful, then why is there not a large public outcry against the ongoing violence and the threats of violence? I don't see or hear that and over the past few years. On the other hand, I have seen a number of Muslim representatives of a variety of Muslim groups in TV interviews and nearly all have been hesitant to speak out against the violence.

I think that if there was a radical group of Catholics or other Christian's that were promoting and carrying out large-scale violence, you would see and hear the Pope, Cardinal and other Christian leaders speak out very vocally against it. I just don't see or hear that from Muslims on a large scale as you would expect from a peaceful majority.

Many Muslim leaders came out speaking out against 9/11 the day after the attacks. The media decided to focus instead on the nutbars dancing in the streets and firing their machine guns in celebration....beginning the cycle of hate that you see today.

I wonder if people would have the same problem with a church being built near the site of the OK City bombing?

I don't see the correlation with a church near the OK City bombing at all.

Yes, but what I am referring to is the lack of significant and ongoing opposition to the ongoing violence. If the vast majority of Muslims and muslim religious leader are peaceful, then why is there not a large public outcry against the ongoing violence and the threats of violence? I don't see or hear that and over the past few years. On the other hand, I have seen a number of Muslim representatives of a variety of Muslim groups in TV interviews and nearly all have been hesitant to speak out against the violence.

I think that if there was a radical group of Catholics or other Christian's that were promoting and carrying out large-scale violence, you would see and hear the Pope, Cardinal and other Christian leaders speak out very vocally against it. I just don't see or hear that from Muslims on a large scale as you would expect from a peaceful majority.

Ever notice when they are pinned down to denouncing terrorism they temper their comments with something along the lines of "The US policies towards muslim nations with their support of Israel brings about this hatred and violence". In other words, terrorism is wrong but it is our own fault.

UK Muslims speak out against terrorism, 2006

Muslim leader issues edict against terrorism, 2010

More like these, then?

Yes, when you can find me 500 examples I'll be sold.

Good to know you have such a specific number. 450 wouldn't do?

And I'm not trying to sell you on anything. I did a google search and found those links off the first page. It seems to me if you were really interested in hearing from Muslims against terrorism.

I, like others, just fail to see the big deal. The "Muslims build mosques on sites they conquer" argument is ridiculous. It's not even at Ground Zero. Muslims (excluding the terrorists) died in the 9/11 attacks too, suffering is not limited to Jews and Christians. Let them do what they want, they're not gonna raise a new generation of terrorists.

I actually think that when the military does a major "whoops" and mistakes that terrorist hideout for a school, or a house, or a factory and kills hundreds of innocent people, that probly would make more kids pissed off at the US than a mosque built by Americans to worship freely as their right enumerated in the 1st Amendment.

I, like others, just fail to see the big deal. The "Muslims build mosques on sites they conquer" argument is ridiculous. It's not even at Ground Zero. Muslims (excluding the terrorists) died in the 9/11 attacks too, suffering is not limited to Jews and Christians. Let them do what they want, they're not gonna raise a new generation of terrorists.

But dust from the WTC fell on it, therefore it's a national historic shrine and shouldn't be defiled by those evil sand !@#$s. :devil:

I actually think that when the military does a major "whoops" and mistakes that terrorist hideout for a school, or a house, or a factory and kills hundreds of innocent people, that probly would make more kids pissed off at the US than a mosque built by Americans to worship freely as their right enumerated in the 1st Amendment.

Point of note: the Constitution doesn't grant rights. It limits the government's ability to take them away. Important difference.

Ever notice when they are pinned down to denouncing terrorism they temper their comments with something along the lines of "The US policies towards muslim nations with their support of Israel brings about this hatred and violence". In other words, terrorism is wrong but it is our own fault.

And we have a winner.

Having worked extensively with many muslims and being exposed to Al Jazeera both before and after 9/11/01 I've had a different exposure than the average American and regardless of whatever side you identify with (or even if you're one of the rare people who takes a semi-objective stance and realizes that there is seldom a clear cut good and bad guy in a pissing contest over "sacred holy land") I would say this is an accurate description of mainstream muslim sentiments.

And we have a winner.

Having worked extensively with many muslims and being exposed to Al Jazeera both before and after 9/11/01 I've had a different exposure than the average American and regardless of whatever side you identify with (or even if you're one of the rare people who takes a semi-objective stance and realizes that there is seldom a clear cut good and bad guy in a pissing contest over "sacred holy land") I would say this is an accurate description of mainstream muslim sentiments.

All those statements are correct. Too bad none of them have anything to do with the right to build a mosque.

All those statements are correct. Too bad none of them have anything to do with the right to build a mosque.

I agree that if the site meets the requirements and/or a church or synagogue would given the ok that they have every right to locate there. I do think that if their intention is to bridge cultures it is a stupid thing to do. If their intention is to throw it in the infidels face than it is a brilliant thing to do.