Raiders release Russell

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reborn in BUFF..

I have seen Russell play. If the Bills picked up Russell I would probably root for the Raiders. All of the QB's on the roster, are better than JR.

While I'm sure that I'll get flamed for making such a suggestion I still can't help but like what Russell can bring to the table in Buffalo. He's a big, strong armed mobile QB who's cousin plays in our backfield (Lynch). We could very realistically salvage two players at the same time but that's a secondary aspect to acquiring Russell. We have a coach who excels with the play skills of someone like Russell. Gaily did wonders with this type of player when he coached a QB with far less skills than Russell. Kordell Stewart is a poor man's version of Russell and we could sign Jamarcus to an incentative laden contract I'd be all for it.

Here's an article that has some interesting points.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraha...;entry_id=63047

Ok, I am with you on Russell. But the point of my post is that, as bad as he is, he is better than Edwards. -5 > -10, know what I mean?

I mean - Edwards has heart? Edwards has heart? Did you really type that?

Think about it. Fitzpatrick (I assume you meant him, not Fitzgerald) has heart, that's for sure. But Edwards? NO. No heart, no balls, nothing there.

You gotta have heart to keep taking a beating like he did, and come back for more. He lost confidence in his team. That's different than not having heart. I don't think Edwards is even an average qb at this point, but he was decent, before he lost his confidence. If he could get his confidence back, he could be a decent qb again. Russell, I think he does not want to put in the work to be even an average qb.

It's a good quesiton - why doesn't this kind of thing happen more? I think my only real theory on the subject is the general idea that it's so hard and so rare to be a #1 overall pick kind of player, you have to have some kind of insane competitive drive to make it work that wouldn't let you rest on your laurels.

I think it's more that GMs and coaches are ego-maniacal bastards who hate to admit they were wrong.

Jamarcus Russel has been released by the Raiders... He's pocketed $39 million Al Davis bucks and he didn't earn a penny.

You can bet the owners are going to make Russel exhibit "A" now in their negotiations with the players association.

This was interesting becuz they just had a mincamp & after the 1st day they said he looked the best of all of their QBs. Speculaton here is that, because coach Cable wanted him gone that Al Davis may have finally listened.

Also wouldn't have made sense to keep him after trading for Campbell.

He's a prick because Oakland drafted him #1 and paid him a ton of money? Shoudl he have turned them down or something? :worthy:

No, he's a prick because he was hired to do a job, and he probably showed 5% of the commitment necessary to do his job. He's a professional athlete who couldn't even be bothered to stay in good shape...that makes him a prick in my book.

The players don't love the system, but know that owners hate it more, so they use it as a bargaining chip in the CBA negotiations. The players do get a side benefit from the draft salaries, since the high rookie scale plays well into veteran free agent demands.

Exactly.

Ok, I am with you on Russell. But the point of my post is that, as bad as he is, he is better than Edwards. -5 > -10, know what I mean?

I think we all get your point. Just haven't see or met anyone who agrees.

I couldnt agree more. Russell is likely a supreme bust. Leaf got another chance (with Dallas I believe) and it didnt work out. Id be fine being the Dallas in the situation. Minimum money, minimum risk, no sweat. Oddly enough they ended up getting their guy outta nowhere (Tony Romo)...is our Romo Brian Brohm? Itd be all too fitting wouldnt it haha.

Point is, the "no heart" thing i intensely agree on.

Why Trent Edwards has a job is beyond me. To specifically say what Im feeling Ill say "Even JaMarcus Russell got cut! And hes better!"

Russell is currently awful (and likely will always be). Trent Edwards is no question worse (i like your -5 to -10 thing I totally agree).

People need to take up a new sport like pro cricket or bowling if they thing Trent Edwards belongs anywhere near a feild or is better than (who I admit is TERRIBLE) JaMarcus Russell.

Ah. There's always one.

I think we all get your point. Just haven't see or met anyone who agrees.

Ah. There's always one.

There's always one?

LOL get out. Sign Russell or dont sign Russell I dont care. He's more than a million times likely far from a good QB, let alone our savior.

...your out of your skull if you think Edwards is anywhere near as good as that fat awful excuse of a QB Russell (bad isnt it?)

If people can make excuses for Edwards, there are plenty of excuses to be made for Russell... Al Davis is literally crazy, he had a 31 year-old head coach who didn't want him and was fired after 1 year, was handed $30m+ at age 21. Not really sure he had a chance to succeed. I'd take a chance on him if he gets in shape.

Ryan Leaf can finally call someone and say, "tag, you're it." It's just more proof that success in college doesn't always translate into success in the NFL. This guy will be lucky to play in Canada. Bum.