Faulk and Lombardi on NFLN

Why do people get upset abou these two blowhards? Lombardi is a former GM who can't find a job in that capacity anymore. Faulk is a former player only there because he is a popular player among fans.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you just seen Marshall Faulk and Mike Lombardi running their mouths about the Bills on the "Grade the Draft" segment on NFLN????

Lombardi gave them a C for the draft, largely due to the Spiller pick. Then Faulk promised a 4-12 season (AGAIN) and him and Lombardi laughed away. The whole thing ended with Lombardi saying that the 4-12 prediction was generous and his grade of C was generous, and that there was "no direction" in Buffalo.

I am really tired of listening to Marshall Faulk crap on the Bills every year with zero insight into actual football facts. I can't believe this guy is still on NFLN - they have much better analysts than him. He's just not that bright......

I, like many people on here, have started to believe in what Nix and Gailey are doing. It's frustrating to see "analysts" continuously give the same assessment based on the same superficial fact that they chose not to pick a QB early.....

:P:P

Well I have to agree.

The Spiller pick just SCREAMS Ralph made the decision. How is that pick any different than all the other gimmick type picks this team has made for years? the quote from Ralh after the draft really was the icing on the cake too. I will para phrase

"We haven't been exciting in years. Thats why we got Spiller. I think he was the most exciting player in the draft, so we had to add him to add some excitement"

You know what is exciting Ralph? WINS. SACKS> PANCAKE BLOCKS AND WINS. Sure 2-3 punt/kick returns a year will be pretty exciting, but please....

Now the 2nd round on - we had direction. It was clearly beef up and take care of the front 7. Hopefully next year we figure out that the offensive line is also important. Later maybe Brown can play QB, or we will realise we still need a viable QB.

But Spiller, Spiller was 100% a Ralph move. Thats not direction... :lol:

There is thread after thread complaining when sportscasters or sportswriters state that the Bills suck. The thing is, our problems are the same for so long now they are wide open for them, and fans with any knowledge at all about football to see.

Are these people supposed to pretend we are good? When they see the Bills take a small running back at #9 while having no credible offensive tackles on the entire roster, it raises an eyebrow and well it should.

I respect Mr. Wilson as a person, and appreciate that he keeps the Bills in WNY. That said, he is the one constant in terms of these odd draft choices that happened with TD, Levy Jauron and who knows who in 2009. When he spoke of adding "excitement," he meant it. We drafted this years version of McKelvin. A punt returning gadget player, except this one is a small running back in lieu of a defensive back.

In that sense, I guess it was a step up.

Henry, McGahee, Lynch, Spiller, J. Reed, Evans, Parrish, and Hardy represent one third of Buffalo's first or second rounders from 2001-10. Throw in Clements, Whitner, McKelvin, and Byrd and Buffalo's used half their picks from those rounds on skill positions.

It's inconceivable that in their third rebuild this decade that three separate Buffalo regimes allocated so many resources to skill positions aside from QB. Not surprisingly, the first two rebuilds failed miserably.

It was said that RW had a lot of say in drafting Lynch three years ago. Despite what people think, it's not out of the questions that he influenced the first pick this year as well. After all, tickets are sure to decline from the highs of 2008-09.

There is thread after thread complaining when sportscasters or sportswriters state that the Bills suck. The thing is, our problems are the same for so long now they are wide open for them, and fans with any knowledge at all about football to see.

Are these people supposed to pretend we are good? When they see the Bills take a small running back at #9 while having no credible offensive tackles on the entire roster, it raises an eyebrow and well it should.

I respect Mr. Wilson as a person, and appreciate that he keeps the Bills in WNY. That said, he is the one constant in terms of these odd draft choices that happened with TD, Levy Jauron and who knows who in 2009. When he spoke of adding "excitement," he meant it. We drafted this years version of McKelvin. A punt returning gadget player, except this one is a small running back in lieu of a defensive back.

In that sense, I guess it was a step up.

OH COME ON MAN, are you seriously comparing spiller to Mckelvin? This offense sucked and we need to score points. This man is going to help us tremendously. He can do it all and is a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball. Spiller is a SPECIAL player and not many of those come along very often. I am GLAD we got him. There are a lot of us here that like this pic. you keep harping on the same things. Its getting old.

I get the impression that Nix and Gailey know what they're doing - but, I'm torn between two thoughts, although maybe they are not contradictory: although I think Gailey will attempt to win every game, and although the Bills have gotten better, it does seem like Nix is not trying to win it all this year; that he is installing a two to three year plan. So, if the Bills finish 8-8 this year they'll be picking once again in the middle of the draft next year and could miss out of the top QB. I guess I'm saying it seems like they are planning on adding the missing pieces next year, and that they've admitted, to themselves at least, that they're going to play this year without all the parts in place. So, it kind of seems like they are setting themselves up for an excuse if they don't win a lot this year - but, from a multi year standpoint you'd want to have a high pick next year to get the top QB...

Assuming one of our qbs(cough cough brohm) doesn't come through, and i really hope he does, if we pic at say, 15 next year, if there is a qb they really want and have to move up, it isn't out of the realm of possibility. aka jets/sanchez.

I disagree nix isn't trying to win this year. He might not be trying to win the superbowl this year, which is logical/understandable, but he has made plenty of moves to put us on the right track to be respectable again. It just can't be done in one year. There will be a few missing pieces this year. its just the way it is. I don't think you play to lose at all. the better we look, the better chance of some higher quality free agents will come our way.

Faulk was a great player and a smart player. The coaches who coached him said he understood the game as well as the best coaches. That actually seems to be a consensus view. The Bills will be bad next year; they're very clearly rebuilding. Why do you think he's wrong? He hasn't been wrong in the past about this team.

Did you read what I wrote?

2010 will not be pretty. Saying the team lacks direction is baseless. And yes, Faulk is an ass in my opinion.

Did you read what I wrote?

2010 will not be pretty. Saying the team lacks direction is baseless. And yes, Faulk is an ass in my opinion.

Not really closely, truth be told. I respect your opinion re Faulk, but there seems to be a lot of people here who have no knowledge of how much coaches respected his football knowledge when he played. Coaches across the board loved him for his ability to perform multiple functions relatively error free in a very complex offense. He has indeed been critical of the Bills in the past few seasons, but he has unfortunately been roughly 100 percent correct.

Faulk was a great player and a smart player. The coaches who coached him said he understood the game as well as the best coaches. That actually seems to be a consensus view. The Bills will be bad next year; they're very clearly rebuilding. Why do you think he's wrong? He hasn't been wrong in the past about this team.

It's not hard to be right when talking about the Bills, we have sucked for a long time. The thing I find about Faulk is that he seems lazy and doesn't do his research. You can clearly see he has no idea what he is talking in a lot of discussions with other players/hosts. Even mentioning players who are on the starting o-line and the guy was traded months ago. I have no problem with what he says about Buffalo, but some times he is just making **** up as he goes.

It's not hard to be right when talking about the Bills, we have sucked for a long time. The thing I find about Faulk is that he seems lazy and doesn't do his research. You can clearly see he has no idea what he is talking in a lot of discussions with other players/hosts. Even mentioning players who are on the starting o-line and the guy was traded months ago. I have no problem with what he says about Buffalo, but some times he is just making **** up as he goes.

I'll admit I don't watch him much because I don't watch much football related TV except during the season, so you may be correct. I do know, however, that he was an incredibly smart player who understood the game as well as anyone. There was a real consensus about this when he was in his prime.

Not really closely, truth be told. I respect your opinion re Faulk, but there seems to be a lot of people here who have no knowledge of how much coaches respected his football knowledge when he played. Coaches across the board loved him for his ability to perform multiple functions relatively error free in a very complex offense. He has indeed been critical of the Bills in the past few seasons, but he has unfortunately been roughly 100 percent correct.

:P long day, time for a nightcap!

I'll admit I don't watch him much because I don't watch much football related TV except during the season, so you may be correct. I do know, however, that he was an incredibly smart player who understood the game as well as anyone. There was a real consensus about this when he was in his prime.

No doubt in my mind he completely understands the game, his prep is poor for that position. Now, Corey Chavous knows his stuff and is well prepared. After watching him at the draft, I would tune in to listen to what he has to say.

No doubt in my mind he completely understands the game, his prep is poor for that position. Now, Corey Chavous knows his stuff and is well prepared. After watching him at the draft, I would tune in to listen to what he has to say.

Chavous was another guy who coaches loved, and he was drafted higher than his talent warrented as a consequence (2nd round). He had a decent career considering his physical limitations; his smarts made up for it. He appears to have made the transition pretty easily because he was always an informed fan as well as a player.

Have any of you just seen Marshall Faulk and Mike Lombardi running their mouths about the Bills on the "Grade the Draft" segment on NFLN????

Lombardi gave them a C for the draft, largely due to the Spiller pick. Then Faulk promised a 4-12 season (AGAIN) and him and Lombardi laughed away. The whole thing ended with Lombardi saying that the 4-12 prediction was generous and his grade of C was generous, and that there was "no direction" in Buffalo.

I am really tired of listening to Marshall Faulk crap on the Bills every year with zero insight into actual football facts. I can't believe this guy is still on NFLN - they have much better analysts than him. He's just not that bright......

I, like many people on here, have started to believe in what Nix and Gailey are doing. It's frustrating to see "analysts" continuously give the same assessment based on the same superficial fact that they chose not to pick a QB early.....

:wallbash::doh:

He who laughs last...... :beer:

When we drafted a halfback in the first round and that is arguably our only solid position and we didn't draft our two biggest needs (QB, LT) and signed a bunch of players from tiny schools it is hard to see any direction. I don't blame Faulk or the other guy for saying that.

I watch the NFL Network some. I've come to the conclusion that most of them don't know what they're talking about. They don't do any research, they just BS. They're like a few TBDers standing around the water cooler at work shooting the breeze about NFL football.

I routinely catch Rod Woodson in errors. In a piece on the Bills before the draft, he said the bills traded up for Edwards and the other 2 guys agreed with him. He made another mis statement about the Bills in the same piece but I can't remember what it was now.

Then on a piece about the NFC East the other day he said the Giants would be good because they had all the same coaches coming back! They have a new DC. They also have a new DBs coach.

Consider the source.

It's really a shame because you'd think a channel run by the NFL about the NFL would at least have the facts about the NFL right.

Wow...I missed it...No direction huh? We'll see...

Honestly, I feel this is the first time we've actually had direction in a decade...It's funny...What do these idiots think? Do they think everything can be fixed in one off season? I don't mind Lombardi, but he knows damn well Nix is a good Scout and Football guy through and through...He knows it...To say The Bills have no direction is basically calling Nix an idiot...I'm not 100% certain Nix is making all the right moves either...But Buddy Nix resume speaks for itself...He's had some serious success...I don't see any Teams chasing Lombardi down after his last great stint in Oakland...I'd say the only thing with no direction is Lombardi's Scouting career right about now... :doh:

I have the same feeling, that we finally do have a direction (hopefully not DOWN!)

You have to remember that Lombardi wanted the job as our GM and when he was lobbying for it on Buffalo sports stations, he said we needed to get bigger. Nix and Gailey have done what Lombardi wanted to do and now he craps on them!

Though to be fair, it sounds like Faulk did most of the bad-mouthing. That arrogant dude has something against the Bills. Maybe he's a buddy of Mortensen's.

Anyway, we will all remember what they said and come december maybe we can throw it back into their smug faces.

Anyway, we will all remember what they said and come december maybe we can throw it back into their smug faces.

Just remove the maybe part and I am good with the above statement. BUFFALO

The Spiller pick just SCREAMS Ralph made the decision. How is that pick any different than all the other gimmick type picks this team has made for years? the quote from Ralh after the draft really was the icing on the cake too. I will para phrase

"We haven't been exciting in years. Thats why we got Spiller. I think he was the most exciting player in the draft, so we had to add him to add some excitement"

Now the 2nd round on - we had direction. It was clearly beef up and take care of the front 7. Hopefully next year we figure out that the offensive line is also important. Later maybe Brown can play QB, or we will realise we still need a viable QB.

But Spiller, Spiller was 100% a Ralph move. Thats not direction... :doh:

It seems that only a handful of posters are ready to acknowledge the bolded.

Also, I agree that the draft from round 2 on was good after Ralph got his ticket seller. If this team is going to miss (which let's hope that they clicked on every pick), it is better to miss on a big guy than yet another defensive back.