Smoking Ban at the Ralph?

yall

Good. Smoking is a filthy and disgusting habit.

I think it's ridiculous that a human being would purchase an expensive product that is extremely unhealthy and toxic for you. A product that has endless research and studies behind it that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that it is bad for your health and can kill you. And yet people keep buying them. There's certianly something to be said for the power of addiction, but come on! This sh*t'll kill you.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. Smoking is a filthy and disgusting habit.

I think it's ridiculous that a human being would purchase an expensive product that is extremely unhealthy and toxic for you. A product that has endless research and studies behind it that proves beyond a reasonable doubt that it is bad for your health and can kill you. And yet people keep buying them. There's certainly something to be said for the power of addiction, but come on! This sh*t'll kill you.

First of all, I want to preface this by saying I'm not personally attacking anyone (just got done reading the TG/Leonidas thread).

Go to the supermarket and read any of the labels on the food you buy. Or look at reports on the tolerances of pollutants the government allows in drinking water. Or read a report on the chemicals and hormones in meat. I'm willing to bet you don't raise your own food and herd your own animals, so I'm pretty sure you've ingested some sort of mass-produced food. The crap they put in there is a hell of a lot more likely to kill you then second hand smoke (or so the most recent medical research on obesity says on any google search).

What about people who don't like the smell of smoke period? Banning all grills that create smoke would make for one hell of a lame tailgate. How about banning SUVs? The list goes on and on.

People need to wake up and wise up. When the tax revenue from cigarettes is gone, they'll be coming for the Barney the barfly and Lenny the lardo (or even little kids for soda and juice).

First of all, I want to preface this by saying I'm not personally attacking anyone (just got done reading the TG/Leonidas thread).

Go to the supermarket and read any of the labels on the food you buy. Or look at reports on the tolerances of pollutants the government allows in drinking water. Or read a report on the chemicals and hormones in meat. I'm willing to bet you don't raise your own food and herd your own animals, so I'm pretty sure you've ingested some sort of mass-produced food. The crap they put in there is a hell of a lot more likely to kill you then second hand smoke (or so the most recent medical research on obesity says on any google search).

What about people who don't like the smell of smoke period? Banning all grills that create smoke would make for one hell of a lame tailgate. How about banning SUVs? The list goes on and on.

People need to wake up and wise up. When the tax revenue from cigarettes is gone, they'll be coming for the Barney the barfly and Lenny the lardo (or even little kids for soda and juice).

Wow.....just wow. :wallbash:

Bravo. But thats what these yahoos don't get....until its something they do or care about...then whoops!

You can't compare cigarettes to food. Cigarettes actually contain toxic chemicals and powerfully deadly ingredients, on purpose! And it's not a secret!

Just cuz you choose to smoke doesn't mean I should have to breathe in the deadly 2nd hand crap that came out of your lungs as I walk by. That's disgusting.

You can't compare cigarettes to food. Cigarettes actually contain toxic chemicals and powerfully deadly ingredients, on purpose! And it's not a secret!

Just cuz you choose to smoke doesn't mean I should have to breathe in the deadly 2nd hand crap that came out of your lungs as I walk by. That's disgusting.

You're right about food vs smoking. Let's try vehicle emissions vs smoking, or 1 coal plant vs all the smoking in the world. Why isn't the government so hot on banning coal power or petroleum based power (or taxing it out of existence)? Any politician running on a "ban all cars" platform wouldn't get very far, and would be labeled a nutjob, or throw-away vote.

My point is that smoking bans are inconsistent, and priorities are out of whack. We can go on forever talking about it, but attacking smoking isn't all about health and the greater good. The government doesn't shrink it's wallet, it shrinks yours (at least in NY).

Personally, I avoid smoking around people out of respect, and I respect your opinion man.

Let me get to the point of this thread though (lol, a bit off track with the stuff above). Stragnely enough, as a privately owned stadium, I have no problem with banning smoking there. I don't like it, and think the rationale is bull, but it's their choice to deny service.

I dare any one of you who are complaining to walk up to a smoker who tosses their butt and tell them they are littering.

That, or just whine some more on the internet.

In college a guy in a convertible parked in handicap space w/o license plate, sticker or plaque and proceeded to dump his ashtrays on ground before going into building. I was kind enough to pick them up for him and put them back in his car with a note 'You dropped these' before I called campus police to have him booted for not having a handicapped license plate, sticker or plaque.

I smoked a couple packs a day for almost ten years and then realized that a brand of lung carcinoma didn't look like something I wanted, so I quit. It's been eight years now.

Since doing that, it's entirely noticeable, everywhere. If the dude two cars ahead of me @ 70 MPH is smoking with his windows open, I can smell it. It stinks to high hell, too. That's not as bad as the cluster of people outside of any given mall/office complex stinking up the place.

I've also noticed that when I'm in a state that still allows the "smoking section" that the whole restaurant smells. Health risks aside, I find it hard to believe that anyone would want to smell that stuff, or that any establishment would want that lingering.

But, all of that said, smokers really get there asses kicked. I almost feel sorry for them. Quitting sucks. I did it. Poor guys are really treated like crap. If they want to smoke in some designated little area off in the distance, have at it. The stink sucks, but when it's split off like that, it's no worse than than having the window down on a crowded expressway. I worry more about the dude barfing two rows behind me than I do a collection of smokers.

I guess none of you went to a Sabres game in the mid-late 70s and walked through the concourses during the first or second intermissions.

:wallbash:

Hell, it was that way well into the 80's! Any given concert is like that, too. Regulations or not. It sucks, but unless you're at a game every day, it's not gonna hurt you. Especially outside. Smells like stir fried dog crap, but then again so does the barf in the isles.

(Doctors feel free to correct my above statement, if there are any of you around!)

Is it a big secret what's inside of a Hot Dog? Do you know what grease, fat, etc. over a period of time can do to your heart?? Ya, pretty much the same thing smoking does to your lungs. Ask your doctor next time you're in for a check up how all that's going for ya.

And when you're "walking by me", I hope it's not anywhere near a roadway. I'd hate for those stinky emissions to float anywhere near YOUR air.... :wallbash:

Get over yourself..... :devil:

I'm typically not big on approaching drug addicts in a threatening/challenging manner thanks.

No good can come from it. It's not like they are going to stop because of a sudden revelation that they are littering. Most simply don't care or they wouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Out of the car window I do find interesting though. If you are a smoker you obviously don't care how gross it is. Why not put the butts in the car ashtray (not you specifically McClane, just a question in general)?

I would prefer if someone else took care of my trash, thanks.

You can smoke anywhere you want in the Ralph. You just kinda cup your hand around the cigarette so ppl can't see it and don't exhale huge smoke plumes straight up in the air, and keep an eye out for security. If they notice you, they will tell you to put it out, and you just take a final drag and put it out. They don't kick you out or anything, even if the same guy warns you multiple times. No one really cares.

I hope so. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Last year at a game, I spoke with one of the a$$hats herding people into the the designated smoking area which was a tiny yellow box spraypainted on the ground.

He mentioned that this year the Ralph may go 100% smoke free.

Has anyone else heard this?

I dare any one of you who are complaining to walk up to a smoker who tosses their butt and tell them they are littering.

Dare? I do it all the time.

Usually just say, "excuse me, I think you dropped something," as if they dropped their wallet.

They look down and see it was just their butt and that's when I hit them with a big "you're a douche" grin.

If one of them ever came after me, they would probably just run out of breath and collapse into their own filth.

I propose they ban beer sales inside the stadium and only allow people to bring bottled water, vitamin water or soft drinks with them into the parking lots.

This will cut down on the amount loud-mouthed alcoholics who vomit and also vomit profanities due to their inability to hold their alcohol. It will also prevent drunk-driving meatheads from escaping law enforcement in golf carts and then drive like maniacs down sidewalks and run over several individuals.

Drinking does not, by itself, affect anyone but the person doing the drinking. That person's BEHAVIOR is indeed punishable by law enforcement.

Try another analogy, because that one is a big FAIL.

The board is a place to express opinions, no?

Let me know where you live; I've got a bag of trash to drop off in your yard. Don't worry, it will biodegrade in a couple of decades.

Cheers.

Drinking does not, by itself, affect anyone but the person doing the drinking. That person's BEHAVIOR is indeed punishable by law enforcement.

Sorry old friend, but that was a very dumb statement.

Actually, the analogy is pretty apt. The behavior of drunken fans at the Ralph, punishable or not (you'd have to actually hit someone to get the police to pay any attention at a Bills game), bothers me a lot more than do the people having cigarettes outside. Drinking definitely affects people besides the drinkers, and there are tens of thousands of purported fans every game who have more than a few. More than anything else, this is why I only go to one game per year. I go, I get disgusted, I don't return.

The smokers outside don't bother me at all--unless they are drunk in addition to smoking. Otherwise, somehow, I'm able to just walk by them.

If the county or the team wants to ban smoking outside the stadium, fine, I guess; I'd rather see a more serious approach to drunk behavior.

/ex-smoker, current drinker who knows how to count to three.

You're right about food vs smoking. Let's try vehicle emissions vs smoking, or 1 coal plant vs all the smoking in the world. Why isn't the government so hot on banning coal power or petroleum based power (or taxing it out of existence)? Any politician running on a "ban all cars" platform wouldn't get very far, and would be labeled a nutjob, or throw-away vote.

My point is that smoking bans are inconsistent, and priorities are out of whack. We can go on forever talking about it, but attacking smoking isn't all about health and the greater good. The government doesn't shrink it's wallet, it shrinks yours (at least in NY).

Personally, I avoid smoking around people out of respect, and I respect your opinion man.

Let me get to the point of this thread though (lol, a bit off track with the stuff above). Stragnely enough, as a privately owned stadium, I have no problem with banning smoking there. I don't like it, and think the rationale is bull, but it's their choice to deny service.

First, the stadium isnt private, its leased by the County. But that really doesnt make a difference, and personally i think smoking is disgusting.

However, the smoking areas are fine and people should stop complaining, there are plenty of ways to avoid the smoke. But these are prob the same people who b**** about the stadium being too out of control.

As for the coal plant comparison.... really buddy? smoking vs coal? Thats a really cheap comparison. Coal serves as energy and while its certainly not the best form of it, at least it does have some benefit to society as a whole, which is part of the reason its not banned.

Smoking on the other hand serves no purpose to the public, its a chemically addictive habit that is a drain on society and has no redeeming quality. In fact it increases disease rates and drives up my health insurance premiums and taxes.

Sorry old friend, but that was a very dumb statement.

Not quite. The act of drinking does not adversely affect the person standing next to the drinker, unlike second hand smoke. That said, a person's actions while drinking can affect others, but I'm not sure that the poster was referring to that.

Personally, I don't care for smoking. Never have. But, this is not my world, so I just do my best to live w/ the fact that there are smokers out there. As long as they respect my space (my home, car, etc.), it's all good.

Maybe the Bills organization is trying to make amends for all of the people they have caused health problems too, through stress and the anguish of watching a terrible team over the past decade. I guess if they can try to save a couple lives, it excuses, in their minds, the terrible team they put on the field. Take a life save a life. As a former smoker myself, who quit quite some time ago, I can't stand to breath in smoke now, but do sometimes wonder how discriminated against I would feel if I did still smoke. Not sure how alot of people can even afford to smoke anymore, the prices of cigs are outrageous.

and the one doing the driving, and the one doing the puking and the one doing the swearing and the one who can't sit in his seat...

remember, don't rock the boat

You can smoke anywhere you want in the Ralph. You just kinda cup your hand around the cigarette so ppl can't see it and don't exhale huge smoke plumes straight up in the air, and keep an eye out for security. If they notice you, they will tell you to put it out, and you just take a final drag and put it out. They don't kick you out or anything, even if the same guy warns you multiple times. No one really cares.

Really? People in my section care. Last year some jackazz decides to light up a smoke, after security told him to put it out twice, the guy in the row behind him said "here, let me put that out for you" and dumped a beer on his head. Problem solved. They both had to leave.

Every monday you read in the Buffalo News how many people got arrested after or during the Bills game the day before. Not sure too many of them are because they were smoking cigarettes. They need to look at the alchohol consumption a little more too, but then again taking away smoking doesn't cost Ralphy any money, taking away beer sales sure the heck would. I am a former smoker, and don't think people should be able to smoke around non-smokers, but I do think if cigarettes are legal, than in a public place, smokers should be given an area where they can smoke. The Bills make enough money, they could build a couple separate areas at the stadium, with some type of smoke eating filter system and let the smokers go kill themselves if they so desire.

Every monday you read in the Buffalo News how many people got arrested after or during the Bills game the day before. Not sure too many of them are because they were smoking cigarettes. They need to look at the alchohol consumption a little more too, but then again taking away smoking doesn't cost Ralphy any money, taking away beer sales sure the heck would. I am a former smoker, and don't think people should be able to smoke around non-smokers, but I do think if cigarettes are legal, than in a public place, smokers should be given an area where they can smoke. The Bills make enough money, they could build a couple separate areas at the stadium, with some type of smoke eating filter system and let the smokers go kill themselves if they so desire.

I don't smoke, but I have no problem with the current policy. If I don't want to breath it in, I don't go to that area. Pretty simple.

Smokers should have no rights. Zero. Nada. You want to kill yourself? Fine. Do it on your own property until they invent a way to keep your filthy smoke from infiltrating my air.

And while we're at it? Throw your filthy butts in a TRASH CAN, not out your car window or wherever you happen to drop them. It's litter, jackasses.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you guys? Mind you that that tabacco use is protected by the Constitution and is a big reason that the U.S. is the country it became.

Now, I am not a smoker, but it is outdoors. There has to be some arrangement that can agreeable, such as a number of smokers sections within the stadium. If you are worried about 2nd hand smoke don't buy a ticket in that section or near it.

Quite frankly, I find the drunks more annoying than the smokers, as they make asses of themselves while you are trying to watch the game. While I was at the Pats game last year, I had some dip **** in a Brady jersey running by my section talking about how the Bills suck. The Pats fans in front of me shook their heads in disgust the first time, saying !@#$s like that give them a bad name. By the 3rd quarter this jackass was even more belligerent and got the attention of security, but that disrupted the fans of the section for a half. That seems worse than somebody smoking into open air.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you guys? Mind you that that tabacco use is protected by the Constitution and is a big reason that the U.S. is the country it became.

Now, I am not a smoker, but it is outdoors. There has to be some arrangement that can agreeable, such as a number of smokers sections within the stadium. If you are worried about 2nd hand smoke don't buy a ticket in that section or near it.

Quite frankly, I find the drunks more annoying than the smokers, as they make asses of themselves while you are trying to watch the game. While I was at the Pats game last year, I had some dip **** in a Brady jersey running by my section talking about how the Bills suck. The Pats fans in front of me shook their heads in disgust the first time, saying !@#$s like that give them a bad name. By the 3rd quarter this jackass was even more belligerent and got the attention of security, but that disrupted the fans of the section for a half. That seems worse than somebody smoking into open air.

Some people might say some of the food they serve is as unhealthy for you as the cigs or beer?

where and/or how is it protected under the Constitution? its not and it can be made illegal under law.

Not quite. The act of drinking does not adversely affect the person standing next to the drinker, unlike second hand smoke. That said, a person's actions while drinking can affect others, but I'm not sure that the poster was referring to that.

Personally, I don't care for smoking. Never have. But, this is not my world, so I just do my best to live w/ the fact that there are smokers out there. As long as they respect my space (my home, car, etc.), it's all good.

Drinking does not, by itself, affect anyone but the person doing the drinking.

This was his quote. It didn't specify standing next to anyone, thus my response. People are killed by DUIs every day. A majority of domestic violence cases involve alcohol, as does a great deal of general misconduct and even criminal behavior. (Hi Marshaun and Donte!). Family after family is torn apart due to alcohol use so yeah, I am going to run with the opinion that the bolded statement is dumb. :wallbash:

Drinking does not, by itself, affect anyone but the person doing the drinking.

This was his quote. It didn't specify standing next to anyone, thus my response. People are killed by DUIs every day. A majority of domestic violence cases involve alcohol, as does a great deal of general misconduct and even criminal behavior. (Hi Marshaun and Donte!). Family after family is torn apart due to alcohol use so yeah, I am going to run with the opinion that the bolded statement is dumb. :wallbash:

Tobacco kills 500,000 people a year, affects all their loved ones as well.

Alcohol related deaths are 80,000 year, or 420,000 less. roughly 30% of violent crime is related to alcohol.

First smoking, then the stadium food because it is to fattening, then the alcohol goes away becuase it isn't "family friendly".

Just remember that when they ban all of that and y'all started it because of smokers. It is a slippery slope that has no end!!!

(I'm a non-smoker who doesn't mind smokers because they have rights too)

Yep same here. I don't want to inhale second hand smoke, and think smoking is a ridiculous, money wasting idea, but if you want to do it, I’m all for your right to. They should have designated smoking areas, but they should be nicer than the zoo pens they make most smokers go to.

And btw, whoever is comparing car exhaust in traffic and cigarette smoke is way off base. Those pollutants put off different chemicals and cigarette smoke is MUCH worse, even second hand.

Alcohol related deaths are 80,000 year, or 420,000 less. roughly 30% of violent crime is related to alcohol.

I am sure the tobacco death rates are only a little skewed to justify huge tax increases. Btw, this is NOT to say tobacco isn't harmful, because it is quite harmful.

The violent crime stats you quote warrant further explanation. For instance, if a wife cheats and her husband gets drunk and kills her, what caused the crime? Cheating? A psychotic condition? Alcohol?

Do you see my point?

I'd like to see a link to this info, if there indeed is one, and you didn't pull these numbers out of your overly pious, holier-than-thou :wallbash: rear end...

Really? People in my section care. Last year some jackazz decides to light up a smoke, after security told him to put it out twice, the guy in the row behind him said "here, let me put that out for you" and dumped a beer on his head. Problem solved. They both had to leave.

And that is the problem. The jackazz decided to light up in the seats. He should be gone. If you want a smoke, you simply walk outside near the gate. Doesn't bother anyone, as the non-smokers are either inside the stadium watching the game or at the concession area. Only the smokers walk far away to the gates. No problem with that...it separates the people who want a smoke from those who don't want smoke near them.

I really don't see how that policy adversely affects anyone as long as everyone follows the rules.

To all who think Ralph is behind the smoking policy, my guess is that its a New York State law regarding where people can smoke in stadiums.

Not sure about that. The state says you cannot smoke indoors. OK. But the stadium has outdoor areas as well. The stadium restricts smoking to small areas near the gate. Not that state, to my knowledge. And I have no problem restricting smoking to the small areas near the gate. My issue is when they ban even those small areas and you cannot have a smoke without actually walking outside the gate into the parking lot (and re-entry is prohibited BTW).