18 Game NFL Season

I'm kinda sick of talking and reading about the draft. So I was sitting in the BUF airport and it struck me how incredibly awesome it would be to have a longer NFL season- say perhaps 18 games. Of course it's unlikely that this would ever happen because players would want more money and football is taxing enough of a players body, BUT the league would generate more revenue. This is what I was thinking:

The NFL regular season would begin the week following pre-season (like usual). After every 6 games, a team would get a bye week and so the regular season would effectively be broken up into 3rds. Now, half of the NFL teams (16 of them) would begin their season two weeks following preseason. That way the bye weeks would not all happen at the same time and would be staggered. It might not seem fair to start the season earlier, but since these teams would end the regular season early, they would have an extra week to prepare for the playoffs should they qualify!

I would also propose one of the extra games be an out of conference game assigned by the league, and the other game be an out of division regional game decided upon by the owners. I think it would be cool to play teams like CLE or PIT every year!

What are your thoughs? I'm I crazzzzzy?

*crickets*

:rolleyes:

Here's my idea. 16 games over an 18-week regular season. Shorten pre-season to just two games. Start the season in late August. Every team gets two byes, but you play a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday game the week after your bye. That way every team gets at least two national TV games, and the NFL gets more days of the week on TV and more games to sell to TV.

PTR

I'm kinda sick of talking and reading about the draft. So I was sitting in the BUF airport and it struck me how incredibly awesome it would be to have a longer NFL season- say perhaps 18 games. Of course it's unlikely that this would ever happen because players would want more money and football is taxing enough of a players body, BUT the league would generate more revenue. This is what I was thinking:

The NFL regular season would begin the week following pre-season (like usual). After every 6 games, a team would get a bye week and so the regular season would effectively be broken up into 3rds. Now, half of the NFL teams (16 of them) would begin their season two weeks following preseason. That way the bye weeks would not all happen at the same time and would be staggered. It might not seem fair to start the season earlier, but since these teams would end the regular season early, they would have an extra week to prepare for the playoffs should they qualify!

I would also propose one of the extra games be an out of conference game assigned by the league, and the other game be an out of division regional game decided upon by the owners. I think it would be cool to play teams like CLE or PIT every year!

dont want to burst your bubble...but they have been thinking of an 18 game season for a while now. if my recollection is correct, it almost happened effective this year with intense talks last year.

or maybe info overload or a dream....either way, this has been ongoing for a long time now.

by the way your theory sucks. some teams would have a game rest before playoffs... that would now be an unfair advantage.

how about EARNING your right to a bye week as the current schedule has it????

by the way your theory sucks. some teams would have a game rest before playoffs... that would now be an unfair advantage.

how about EARNING your right to a bye week as the current schedule has it????

Our whole team is on IR by week 10 anyway so I'd be fine with it.

This idea "struck" you? Better go apply for a patent.

The NFL has been debating an 18 game season for well over a year now.

It's a horrible idea. It would render past stats and records incomparable to new ones. It would increase the physical abuse these players' bodies take. It would increase injuries. It would wear guys down before the playoffs even begin.

The NFL is a business and they're always looking for ways to increase profit margins. This is one idea that is horrible. It would be bad for the game. It's the most popular sport in North America. The NFL is perfect the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Here's my idea. 16 games over an 18-week regular season. Shorten pre-season to just two games. Start the season in late August. Every team gets two byes, but you play a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday game the week after your bye. That way every team gets at least two national TV games, and the NFL gets more days of the week on TV and more games to sell to TV.

PTR

Brilliant Idea I really would like to see the 2 byes but also extending the roster by 5 more players. I like starting Labor day weekend one year EVERY NFL game was sold out when it was labor day weekend and what a great way to start a football season giving us that extra travel date.

They would have to increase the roster limit to 60 players i think. Who gives a **** about stats that much anyhow? I would like to see an 18 game schedule because obviously i !@#$in love football!!! Soon the CFL starts, which I always watch at the beginning of the year but i liken that to an alcoholic drinking mouthwash outside the beer store waiting for it to open.

This idea "struck" you? Better go apply for a patent.

The NFL has been debating an 18 game season for well over a year now.

It's a horrible idea. It would render past stats and records incomparable to new ones. It would increase the physical abuse these players' bodies take. It would increase injuries. It would wear guys down before the playoffs even begin.

The NFL is a business and they're always looking for ways to increase profit margins. This is one idea that is horrible. It would be bad for the game. It's the most popular sport in North America. The NFL is perfect the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You mean like when they went from 12 games to 14, or from 14 games to 16 (by cutting the preseason from 6 games to 4), or added another wild card team and another round to the playoffs???? :D

OJ's 2003 yards in a 14 games didn't render Jim Brown's 12-game season accomplishments incomparable, and yet it still pales Eric Dickerson's 2105 yards in 16 games, IMO.

An 18 game season (with only 2 preseason games) is inevitable, and it'll be better for the game and the fans. Personally, I can't stand paying full-price for a meaningless preseason game and, as far as wearing players down prior to the playoffs, doesn't Bill Polian already give his starters the last two regular-season games off? (Now that's bad for the game, IMHO.)

You mean like when they went from 12 games to 14, or from 14 games to 16 (by cutting the preseason from 6 games to 4)???? :D

OJ's 2003 yards in a 14 games didn't render Jim Brown's 12-game season accomplishments incomparable, and yet it still pales Eric Dickerson's 2105 yards in 16 games.

An 18 game season (with only 2 preseason games) is inevitable, and it'll be better the game and the fans. Personally, I can't stand paying full-price for a meaningless preseason game and, as far as wearing players down prior to the playoffs, doesn't Bill Polian already give his starters the last two regular-season games off? (Now that's bad for the game, IMHO.)

I know what you're saying but we've been a 16-game league since 1978 and the NFL has never been more popular.

I'm less concerned about the stats thing and more concerned about the injuries thing. Today's football players are bigger and faster then ever before.

Can you imagine having a 10-year career and then walking with a limp the rest of your life from age 35 and on? Or worse, having the recurring symptoms of concussions?

Careers would be shortened evern more. The toll of two more games per year on a body adds up fast. It's the equivalent of playing an entire season after eight years of an 18-game season. Every player would lose a year or two off their careers.

I stand by my opinion that it's a bad idea.

I know what you're saying but we've been a 16-game league since 1978 and the NFL has never been more popular.

I'm less concerned about the stats thing and more concerned about the injuries thing. Today's football players are bigger and faster then ever before.

Can you imagine having a 10-year career and then walking with a limp the rest of your life from age 35 and on? Or worse, having the recurring symptoms of concussions?

Careers would be shortened evern more. The toll of two more games per year on a body adds up fast. It's the equivalent of playing an entire season after eight years of an 18-game season. Every player would lose a year or two off their careers.

I stand by my opinion that it's a bad idea.

And I respect your opinion, but disagree - I think the point you miss is that they're already playing 20 games (4 preseason, and 16 regular season), and that 4+16 = 2+18.

And I respect your opinion, but disagree - I think the point you miss is that they're already playing 20 games (4 preseason, and 16 regular season), and that 4+16 = 2+18.

I know they wanted to shorten the horrific preseason and lengthen the awesome regular season but we all know that the starters play one of two series, tops, which can be anywhere from 5-15 plays.

Plus teams like Indy that clinch 1st round byes early will wind up sitting starters for the remaining four games which will create league-wide discontent for teams fighting for their playoff lives, not to mention boring late season games.

College ball is 12 games, the NFL is 16. 18 is too many. The NFL should explore other ideas, like a mid-season all-star break or possibly expanding the playoff field. Although I don't like either of those ideas, lol.

To be honest, I love the NFL the way it is and think they should leave well enough alone. It's a great game and a great league.

I also believe it's a bad idea, mainly because of the physical wear and tear on the players. Removing two pre-season games, of which the starters are likely not to have played more than two quarters combined, isn't a balanced trade off.

There is no good reason to extend the season other than for the sake of the Jerry Jones type owners. The greed of the NFL, owners, players, etc., simply knows no boundaries.

I also believe it's a bad idea, mainly because of the physical wear and tear on the players. Removing two pre-season games, of which the starters are likely not to have played more than two quarters combined, isn't a balanced trade off.

There is no good reason to extend the season other than for the sake of the Jerry Jones type owners. The greed of the NFL, owners, players, etc., simply knows no boundaries.

That about sums it up.

The people who are suggesting adding more games to a 16 game schedule have never played the game of football in their lives. It is a brutal sport and adding games will just shorten careers (and lives sadly). No more games.

And cut the NBA, MLB, and NHL seasons too. A lot of meaningless games being played.

The people who are suggesting adding more games to a 16 game schedule have never played the game of football in their lives. It is a brutal sport and adding games will just shorten careers (and lives sadly). No more games.

And cut the NBA, MLB, and NHL seasons too. A lot of meaningless games being played.

Yep. :D

Football is a game where a 250lb LB who runs a 4.5 40 collides with a 210lbs RB who runs a 4.3 40. I read somewhere that the average NFL collision is equal to two cars colliding at 35 mph. Some of the hits given out would put the average person in the hosptial. You don't hear about it but a lot of retired players have serious and sometimes debiliating medical problems for the rest of their lives. The NFL and the NFLPA are already under fire for their poor health coverage for retired players, some of whom have dropped dead or are seriously ill at young ages of only 50.

All the more reason not to add games but add bye weeks. You stretch the regular season to 18 weeks and give teams 2 byes, and eliminate at least one if not two pre-season games.

PTR

18 games would only benefit those of whom greed has already served well and don't even play the game.

The NFl already extended its regular season by adding bye weeks. An 18 game schedule would allow the NFL to

make more money especially with television with two more Sundays and possibly more mid-week Thursday night

games. But what would be the interest of fans of a team say with 6-10 or 4-12 record? There is always the other

side of a coin.

they talked with Goodell on radio and they are working on 18 game schedules, by mostly elminating the final two perseason games.

This is the best and most likely idea. We would get more REAL football and it would start sooner. Tailgaiting at the Ralph for a real game in August, come on!

Although I would like to see an 18 game season, for the health of the players, 16 is plenty. A Championship team is already playing 4 - 5 preseason games, plus if they are a wild-card team, 4 play-off games. That's 24 football games in a year. A better alternative to more weekends of football would be the 2-bye weeks that they tried back in the 90's (makes it tough to play fantasy football!)

No preseason games. Coaches if they are worth a **** can tell who should be on the team and who should not. 18 game seasons with 2 (or even 3) byes per team. Players get fewer overall games which they want. Owners can get money from 18 regular season games which would make them happy. And the fans get more games that count spread out over a longer time which they like. They could start the season when preseason would normally begin.

Although I would like to see an 18 game season, for the health of the players, 16 is plenty. A Championship team is already playing 4 - 5 preseason games, plus if they are a wild-card team, 4 play-off games. That's 24 football games in a year. A better alternative to more weekends of football would be the 2-bye weeks that they tried back in the 90's (makes it tough to play fantasy football!)

Your avatar makes u seem kinda....I dunno...like a creeper... :D

No preseason games. Coaches if they are worth a **** can tell who should be on the team and who should not. 18 game seasons with 2 (or even 3) byes per team. Players get fewer overall games which they want. Owners can get money from 18 regular season games which would make them happy. And the fans get more games that count spread out over a longer time which they like. They could start the season when preseason would normally begin.

From a health/wear and tear standpoint, a 16 game season is already longer than what would be ideal for a starter.

Preseason games have more intrinsic value than just an opportunity for coaches to decide who makes the final roster, they also give players a chance to play together, and work out their plays and schemes in a real game situation w/o having to waste valuable game time working out garbage plays that may cost games that count.

It's also highly valuable to teams implementing new schemes and bringing on new players for key positions.

Not to mention the fact that an 18 game season renders most of the statistical standards of the last 30+ years that people love to compare, relatively meaningless (and yes, OJ and Jim Brown's stats mean far less than they did before.)

This whole idea sucks.

PTR

That's a great idea to have two byes. NFL players just take a beating week-in and week-out and one bye just doesn't seem like enough rest over the course of pre-season, 16-game regular season, and -- hmm, how do you spell it -- oh yeah, playoffs.

Uhh, Pot, the kettle just called to say you're black.

Ummm...a picture of a random chicks ass is just slightly different than a picture of a celebrity.

But you seem very smart. So Ill give you the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you are a creeper too? cause if you compare avatars champ we have an obvious victor her in the creeper category...

Ummm...a picture of a random chicks ass is just slightly different than a picture of a celebrity.

But you seem very smart. So Ill give you the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you are a creeper too? cause if you compare avatars champ we have an obvious victor her in the creeper category...

I was actually implying that Dave Matthews looks (and as far as I'm concerned is) creepy. But I'm sure you were smart enough to pick up on that one. Just clarifying for others who may not have been.

From a health/wear and tear standpoint, a 16 game season is already longer than what would be ideal for a starter.

The starters basically play 18 games worth now if you count the worthless preseason reps.

Preseason games have more intrinsic value than just an opportunity for coaches to decide who makes the final roster, they also give players a chance to play together, and work out their plays and schemes in a real game situation w/o having to waste valuable game time working out garbage plays that may cost games that count.

They are professionals, they shouldn't have to work these things out "live". Scrimmages during camp should be more than sufficient. The starters play limited amounts in preseason anyway. Certainly not much intrinsic value there.

It's also highly valuable to teams implementing new schemes and bringing on new players for key positions.

Again, this is why they practice and have camps in the first place. If this is an issue, have camp longer if they feel the need.

Not to mention the fact that an 18 game season renders most of the statistical standards of the last 30+ years that people love to compare, relatively meaningless (and yes, OJ and Jim Brown's stats mean far less than they did before.)

They are not relatively useless, they are completely useless. Stupid "reason" to not make a change where everyone wins.

This whole idea sucks.

That is probably the most insightful statement of your post.

Cut preseason to one game and the regular season to 14 games. It lowers the risk of injuries to players that people pay to see and decreases the chance that one team pulls away for a division title- forcing them to play their starters until the very end.

Yep. :devil:

Football is a game where a 250lb LB who runs a 4.5 40 collides with a 210lbs RB who runs a 4.3 40. I read somewhere that the average NFL collision is equal to two cars colliding at 35 mph. Some of the hits given out would put the average person in the hosptial. You don't hear about it but a lot of retired players have serious and sometimes debiliating medical problems for the rest of their lives. The NFL and the NFLPA are already under fire for their poor health coverage for retired players, some of whom have dropped dead or are seriously ill at young ages of only 50.

Bullsh_t. How 'bout when rosters were smaller, and guys played both ways???? (Then went and worked part time jobs in the off-season.)

Today's overpaid, overhyped, overpampered Hollywood-types masquerading as pro athletes have better equipment, better trainers, better nutrition, and better medical attention, and should go take a close look at the days when NFL players were men...

Art Donovan

The games already have so many stoppages of play that these guys shouldn't even be winded when the game ends. A recent study showed that the average NFL game has about 11 minutes of action - assuming a fairly equal time-of-possession, that's about 5.5 minutes for the offense, and 5.5 for the defense. If these clowns can't leave it all on the field for 5.5 minutes once a week for 18 weeks, increase the roster size - the NFLPA would surely go for that. And, BTW, since most of these guys are not every-down players, save for maybe center and QB, most of 'em probably only have to exert themselves for about 4 minutes, once a week, for 18 weeks (except for the guys who stand on the sidelines the entire game and never even get their uniforms sweaty). Yeah, they got it too tough already to ask them to work another 8 minutes a season before they take the next 6 months off. :thumbsup:

(Link - Wall Street Journal)

All this crap about how converting 2 preseason games to a 18-game regular season is too much strain on the poor millionaire players or that it would render old records irrelevant (I'm still waiting for one of today's clowns to rush for 2000 yards in 14 games - something that hasn't been accomplished since The Brentwood Butcher did it in 1973) is being uttered by somewhat naive folks who have a misplaced sense of sympathy and hero-worship for these overpriced, spoiled, overgrown children, or who don't pony-up hard-earned money for season tix, only to throw $200+ in the garbage can every August. JMO.