Signing A Bunch of Linebackers

yungmack

I find this quite interesting.

Nix has added quite a few linebackers between the NFL free agents, draft and the college FAs. The change to 3-4 also means Kelsay and Schobel should move to LB. And I don't know that he's done with LBs. So far, it's a crowded field right now.

It looks to me like he and Gailey saw this as an area of real need. What I wonder is what this means for the LBs currently on the roster. I also can't recall them saying anything about how they regard Mitchell and Poz the way they have with the RBs, QBs, Kyle Williams, Schobel and even Bell. Maybe they have and I've just overlooked their comments. But if they haven't, I wouldn't invest in a new house just yet if I was an LB last season with the Bills.

Comments?

Nix has added quite a few linebackers between the NFL free agents, draft and the college FAs. The change to 3-4 also means Kelsay and Schobel should move to LB. And I don't know that he's done with LBs. So far, it's a crowded field right now.

It looks to me like he and Gailey saw this as an area of real need. What I wonder is what this means for the LBs currently on the roster. I also can't recall them saying anything about how they regard Mitchell and Poz the way they have with the RBs, QBs, Kyle Williams, Schobel and even Bell. Maybe they have and I've just overlooked their comments. But if they haven't, I wouldn't invest in a new house just yet if I was an LB last season with the Bills.

Comments?

Well you need more LB's in our defense.

Most of these guys won't make the team...they are there to probably round out what goes on at rookie mini camp and/or voluntary OTAs to make sure they have enough guys.

True, but there are more openings for them than last year and also some skill sets are better suited to the new defense.

Comments?

It will be a great day when Ellison gets cut! No more 200pd linebackers!

Comments?

The roles of linebackers is very different when comparing 4-3 and 3-4. That said, I think it is unclear how well last year's crop will perform in the new system. I think the new regime is just covering their butt's because some players just don't transition well when a new system is implemented. I like that they are doing these things. They have definitely beefed up the defensive line. They probably see the linebackers as a potential area of weakness and want to have more options available just in case.

Most of these guys won't make the team...they are there to probably round out what goes on at rookie mini camp and/or voluntary OTAs to make sure they have enough guys.

"Throw a lot of mud at the wall and see what sticks.."

Sign em all up, see who can hang

Mitchell and Poz have been said to be the frontrunners as starting ILB's but there is speculation that Davis will take Mitchell's spot and depending on these other OLB's he may find his way back outside...

Sign em all up, see who can hang

Mitchell and Poz have been said to be the frontrunners as starting ILB's but there is speculation that Davis will take Mitchell's spot and depending on these other OLB's he may find his way back outside...

Kawika Mitchell is merely a poser. I suspect that after reviewing film, Buddy and Chan have come to this realization.

Seems we will be okay at ILB with Poz, Davis, Mitchell and one of the rookies. The group of outside linebackers scares me. Can Schobel (if he returns), Kelsay, Maybin, and Ellis play outside in the 3-4? I would be shocked if Kelsay can make the transition. Can any of these guys cover?

How many linebackers do 3-4 teams typically keep?

Maybin could be a great OLB. I hope he makes he transition.

The only people that don't like Poz are Bills fans on message boards. Buddy/Chan didn't need to say anything about him, because he is a !@#$ing player, and it doesn't need to be said.

Mitchell looks a lot like the guy that carried our D a lot of times throughout the last couple years, but I must have him mistaken for somebody else. Unless a Twitter account makes you worse at linebacker, I don't know what the issue with KM is. I am sure it is purely rooted in good solid logic, my most witch hunts on these boards are.

Schobel isn't coming back, Kelsay was too slow to play DE, how is he going to transition to LB? I don't know why people want to give these guys slow head and bash the people that play hard on this team.

I am confident that this staff will "flood the floor" and rely on their proven track record of talent evaluation to pick a solid LB core from the group.

Mitchell looks a lot like the guy that carried our D a lot of times throughout the last couple years, but I must have him mistaken for somebody else. Unless a Twitter account makes you worse at linebacker, I don't know what the issue with KM is. I am sure it is purely rooted in good solid logic, my most witch hunts on these boards are.

Amen.

The roles of linebackers is very different when comparing 4-3 and 3-4. That said, I think it is unclear how well last year's crop will perform in the new system. I think the new regime is just covering their butt's because some players just don't transition well when a new system is implemented. I like that they are doing these things. They have definitely beefed up the defensive line. They probably see the linebackers as a potential area of weakness and want to have more options available just in case.

What he said +1

Maybin could be a great OLB. I hope he makes he transition.

The only people that don't like Poz are Bills fans on message boards. Buddy/Chan didn't need to say anything about him, because he is a !@#$ing player, and it doesn't need to be said.

Schobel isn't coming back, Kelsay was too slow to play DE, how is he going to transition to LB? I don't know why people want to give these guys slow head and bash the people that play hard on this team.

I am confident that this staff will "flood the floor" and rely on their proven track record of talent evaluation to pick a solid LB core from the group.

Dehaven's preferred STer's may have a little something to do with this as well.

Of course we're picking up OLBs. We don't have any OLBs on our roster.

We tendered a 215 pounder who will be cut and have a bunch of 4-3 DEs.

If Danny Batten can adjust to LB, he has a decent a chance to start opposite Maybin. And if Antonio Coleman is fast enough to make the team on the outside, he has a chance to start by week 9 when Maybin heads to the bench.

Hell, Arthur Moats might be the best OLB on the team even thought they're starting him out as Poz's back-up.