Buddy Offers Some Insight On the QBs

yungmack

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article on why Nix is sticking with the QBs he has. Here's the link:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...7c-ed175fc43900

And here's a small excerpt from it:

“Here’s the way we looked at it,” said Nix. “We’ve got guys physically that can do anything as well as anybody in the draft physically. Throw the ball well, make all the throws, mobile, can move around and are smart. We’ve got guys like that. Now obviously they’ve been kind of inconsistent and up and down, but there are a lot of reasons for that.”

Physically capable of it? That's the least important part of the whole equation. It's the mental stuff that is the key.

Of course they didn't have a good line or a good system. But they didn't even seem to make the best decisions on many plays. Kelso was always saying on the radio, "Well, he went to Fred Jackson and they made a three-yard gain. But Lee Evans was open downfield. I don't know whether Trent even saw him or saw him and decided not to make the throw, but Lee was open. Fourth down and the punt unit comes in." We heard the same thing again and again and again.

At least it clears up why we didn't pick Clausen. And if one of our three turns out to be a franchise guy, that will turn out to have been a heck of a decision. But if they don't, and Clausen does, it will turn out to have been a case of passing up one of the great QB draft bargains of all time when we didn't pick him in the second round.

For now I am more concerned about the OT's both left and right. I am far more concerned that the Bills did not or felt they could not get a tackle earlier in the draft. Perhaps Bell is the real deal at LT but until this question is answered in addition who gets the right side then the QB situation almost doesn't matter. No QB can throw if they are on the ground and absent Fran Tarkington and Doug Flutie not many can improvise on the run.

Exactly. Nix said that the offensive line was a problem last year and then he brings in journeyman Cornell Green, who wasn't particularly good last year, 48th out of 77 at profootballfocus.com, and a 5th round LT who will be expected to compete for the position in 2012, and abracadabra, it's all better.

They thought Bell was the answer last year too. I Don't understand it. I heard Modrak actually say he was one of our best. To me the guy with the most potential to ability ratio is Jamon Meredith. They might see him as a guard but I really think he is their best young lineman and they should give him every opportunity to win the LT spot with Bell & Wang.

Meredith's strong, but not quick enough to be a pro LT.

WHAT BUDDY DIDNT mention was that "next" years draft has 5 QBS all rated higher than this years QB were at this point

Gosh, and to think that we might get the next Jevan Snead next year. It's all guesswork. Nix shows in his interview is that they didn't look at taking Clausen because they want to give Trent, Brohm and Fitz a chance. And that may turn out to be an epically horrible decision. There's never any guarantees of what will be available next year, because, like Snead, highly ranked guys sometimes have terrible seasons. They also get injured. And teams also turn out to have no chance whatsoever to actually get the guys they have their eye on.

Your point is full of Bullfeathers. It's factually wrong. Five? Please.

WHAT ABOUT THE FREAKIN' LEFT TACKLE

The Bills still don't have a premier left tackle, they "think" the new 5th round draft pick can step in at some point in the future, but they can't possibly know if he can play at a high level in the NFL or not. Clearly Bell was starting to play OK at LT before the first injury. Then he suffered a season ending ACL tear and they really don't know if he can return at 100% and keep developing.

So, the fact that this new coaching staff is willing to gamble on the second most important position on the offense next to the QB leads me to think they are another inept band of fools. At least Jauron had an excuse, he was a defensive minded coach and sort of clueless about the offense.

The good ole boy network has their collective heads up their keasters if they don't fix the LT position...

If Bills fans are lucky RW might run another clean sweep after this year and hire Martyball :lol:

After posting the above post I started reading other threads and found this... even the Packer fans know we are screwed again this year :lol:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=112864

"Quote"

I was upset when the Bills took him only because it was basically a 2nd round pick going straight down the drain. He really didn't show much when he was here and was constantly outperformed by 7th round pick Matt Flynn. Now while stating that, I must say I like Brohm a lot. Thought he was a great QB in college and was extremely excited when the Packers drafted him. I wish it would have turned out better but what's done is done. I still think he has the potential to be a solid starting QB, but I must say I am pretty doubtful about that now. I wouldn't give up on him just yet though. I feel sorry if he does start because Buffalo has no offensive line at all and Brohm is just going to get pummled.

Keep reading that Packer thread and one fan has pic of Bryan Bulaga as plow boy, gotta love how they embrace an offensive tackle with that #1 pick

And there is truth in what Nix said, even though a lot of posters here are ready to throw all 3 returning QB's under the bus...fully loaded dump truck.

Regardless, unless there is a trade before the season is underway, we have the 3 returning QB's + Brown.

And I, for one, am fed up with all the continual bitching about it, from people who have yet to see one play, one throw or one snap of the ball from this year's team.

Don't like it? Too bad, because that's the way it is.

Like it? Good, because that's the way it is.

Don't care? That's still the way it is.

You could say that about every subject discussed on this board. Nothing any of us have ever posted here has changed a single thing about this team, including your 2,000+ posts. And yet you and the rest of us post on. Hmm....could it be that we find value in discussing and venting about the team here even though none of us expect to have an effect on what happens on the field?

I suppose we could shut down the board until opening game so that then our criticism would satisfy your requirement that it be based on game time performance. Or...since it offends you so much, you could just not read the posts which so upset you. That way, your delicate sensibilities will be protected while the rest of us do what we do, talk about football. Everybody wins!

Regardless of who wins the job I don't think anyone expects any of the QB's to have a spectacular year. The main issue is Buddy & company really had no idea what we had quality wise. Last year we lost out LT and OC less then a week before the season started. That plus the fact that DJ was completely offensively inept, to rate any of them is really a crap-shoot.

I agree with you ... but what if the QB and OL are just good enough to eek out 6 or 7 wins. That would be disasterous for this franchise, I honestly believe that. It would not only put the Bills out of position to get one of the top 4 QB prospects (assumming they all hold up -- which is a crap shoot), but ir would also give people reason to think that they already have a good enough QB to win if they just get the rest of the pieces right.

That to me is what is scary.

Of course, this argument only really applies if it's Trent leading teh team (which is what I think will happen) or Fitz. If Brohm or Brown lead the team to 6 or 7 wins then they'd have a point.

tgreg, I've read a bunch of your posts since the draft and understand pretty clearly where you're coming from. But consider this: the Bills won 7 and 6 games the past two years with a group of knuckleheads coaching the offense, and arguably a worse OL than what they'll have this year.

If the Bills get "competent" play out of the QB position, they're going to be a 10-win team. What's my definition of competent? Here's a stab:

3200+ yards (i.e., 200+ per game)

15+ TDs

<10 INTs

>60% completion rate

Mark my words.

No. Trent lost his job TWICE. Nix has seen all he wants to of Edwards the kitty. It is time to see what Brohm can do and like another poster said, the ONLY QB talked about by Gaileyon Sirius today was Brohm

That makes no sense, given what Nix said. He, to a degree, excused Edwards and Fitzpatrick for last year--mostly Edwards--by what he said--it had no bearing on Brohm.

I know you like to project your own feelings on Nix, because he is your hero right now, but facts are facts, even though you dislike Edwards as much as you like Nix. And the facts are everyone gets a chance to start based on who picks up the new system the fastest and can translate that into performance on the field. Given the Nix excuses for Edwards, it seems that they are leaning to Edwards out of the box, but that can change easily. You may not like that, but that is the situation, especially when you add the NGU insights.

I like this article. Nix has some very good points, and even though there was a part of me that wanted to see us draft one of the big name QBs this year, I'm completely okay with Nix's assessment of the situation. We've got the physical specs that we need; let's keep a consistent coaching staff in place and see if we can't produce some real talent here. If we can't bring our current roster up to par, why should we expect a kid from college to do any better?

I like this article. Nix has some very good points, and even though there was a part of me that wanted to see us draft one of the big name QBs this year, I'm completely okay with Nix's assessment of the situation. We've got the physical specs that we need; let's keep a consistent coaching staff in place and see if we can't produce some real talent here. If we can't bring our current roster up to par, why should we expect a kid from college to do any better?

Agree.

I'm not one to beat a dead horse just to beat one (um ... see my thoughts on Spiller lol). But the problem with the Bills as I see it is a cultural one. They have a losing culture on the team that has filtered down to the fans. The fans (myself included) are like the abused girlfriend, constantly getting hit in the mouth and yet as soon as the team does something nice like get a shiny new toy, new coach, new GM we all forgive it unconditionally.

And on the board here, which we all love, people react the same way. They forgive in the off season when hope springs eternal. And then get totally flustered, angry and upset when the team craps the bed yet again. I'm all for hope and optomisim. I have loads of it. Yet, the biggest reason why this team keeps losing and missing the playoffs is because they have continually failed to address the one position that makes or breaks an NFL team. The QB.

This team has not had a franchise QB since Kelly. Bledsoe was close but had too many miles on him. He just wasn't the same after that hit nearly killed him (and understandably so). A franchise QB not only gives you the opportunity to win every game you play, but also changes the culture in a locker room. A team like the Lions, who have lost more than the Bills, were energized by Stafford's play last year. Even though he wasn't the best QB in the league (not even close) his talent at the most important position on the field, sparked belief in the players, coaches and fans.

That's what Buffalo is lacking. And while the jury is out on Brohm and Brown, I don't think Edwards has it. And I know Fitz doesn't. And until the Bills get that guy on the team, this team will continue to tred water. Winning just enough to avoid hitting rock bottom, but not winning enough to be relevant.

That being the case, there are still SCORES of fans on this site who believe the Bills are set at QB. And while I respect other people's opinions and their right to disagree, the hope is that the front office doesn't believe that to be the case. Because if they do, this team will never change its losing culture.

And THAT'S why it's constantly debated on the board and WILL be debated until a QB comes in and proves he can win every Sunday.

Wow, what an excellent post. Thanks!

From Lombardi's Sunday Post <http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-8060.html>

7. I know much has been made of the Colt McCoy pick by Cleveland, but in reality, this pick will not stop the Browns from drafting a quarterback next year. McCoy is viewed more as backup than a potential starter by team brass. Expect the Browns to get involved in scouting the top QBs in the draft next year.

Seems to jibe with Nix's decision - why take another backup QB with that pick?