Will we ever find out who the Bills

Estro

One of the most frustrating parts of the draft for me, is that once it's over you never get to hear any of the inside war room stories. What players did they covet that were already off the board? What teams did they talk to about moving up/down? What players were they targeting in certain trade scenarios? It's obvious why teams would protect this information. If the player they targeted ends up sucking, they come out looking better by never mentioning him as a target. If he becomes a Pro Bowler down the road, they can always say that they were indeed trying to get him in the draft. The second reason to not disclose this information is that it may tip their hand on their intentions for next years draft.

Anyhow we all know (if Buddy is telling the truth) that the Bills were attempting to trade back into the late 1st round. Will we ever find out the player they were targeting? Probably not. So we're left to speculate. Here's my take:

Immediately after pick #25 (when the Broncos selected Tebow) word comes that the Bills were devastated about missing out on Tebow. It's since come out they weren't targeting Tebow, but they probably were calling teams around this spot about a possible trade up. Normally if you're interested in say spot #25 you'll start sniffing around several selections before. If we are to take Nix at his word (the player they wanted was off the board, thus no trade up) it means they were targeting one of the following player: Demaryius Thomas, Bryan Bulaga, Dez Bryant or Dan Williams. Because Nevergiveup mentioned both Demaryius Thomas and Dan Williams as dark horse picks at #9, I'm assuming one or both of those players were the target.

Thomas was taken at #22, so he was off the board so this would make sense. Dan Williams, however, was still on the board at #25 as he was picked at #26. However, it's possible the Bills were looking to move up to #25 to take Williams, but lost out to Denver. They then start dialing up the Cardinals, who didn't listen and nab Williams themselves.

Obviously it's all specualtion, and we'll probably never know the answer, but the fact that we targeted 2 defensive players with our next 2 picks, makes me think it was indeed Dan Williams. Add in that Nevergiveup clearly stated that Williams would be a candidate at #9 for the Bills and you have to think the Bills would've been aggresively trying to trade up for him at #25.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Demaryius Thomas and Dan Williams make the most sense to me. Although I believe Bryan Bulaga, Dez Bryant and Jared Odrick could also be candidates. I'm leaning Dan Williams because of what the Bills ultimately did with picks #2 and #3, but if the Bills were targeting best player available rather than needs I could be wrong.

Demaryius Thomas seemed to be the #1 WR on many draft boards, so it could have just as easily been him. Personally I'm happy the trade up didn't materialize. The Bills have too many holes to give up draft picks and I'm happy with more bodies and more competition in camp.

Demaryius Thomas and Dan Williams make the most sense to me. Although I believe Bryan Bulaga, Dez Bryant and Jared Odrick could also be candidates. I'm leaning Dan Williams because of what the Bills ultimately did with picks #2 and #3, but if the Bills were targeting best player available rather than needs I could be wrong.

Demaryius Thomas seemed to be the #1 WR on many draft boards, so it could have just as easily been him. Personally I'm happy the trade up didn't materialize. The Bills have too many holes to give up draft picks and I'm happy with more bodies and more competition in camp.

Sometimes it is the trade you dont make that can really help your team and thats why you gotta be lucky....

For instance......say it was Brian Bulaga who was the guy....in order to trade up to get him maybe you have to give away the pick that turns into Carriker......now what happens if Adam Carriker turns out to be a stud.....he was killing it at the senior bowl

They'll never officially say I'm sure - short of someone at a presser asking point blank and Nix feeling comfortable enough to answer... :)

My gut tells me it was Dan Williams based on what NeverGiveUp had been saying pre-draft about them really liking Williams - that and they went DT w/ the next pick.

Sometimes it is the trade you dont make that can really help your team and thats why you gotta be lucky....

For instance......say it was Brian Bulaga who was the guy....in order to trade up to get him maybe you have to give away the pick that turns into Carriker......now what happens if Adam Carriker turns out to be a stud.....he was killing it at the senior bowl

I think you must mean Carrington...

I assume you mean Alex Carrington?

Damj: I want the truth!

Buddy Nix: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world with secrets that must be guarded. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Beerball? I have more responsibility than you can fathom. You weep for Tim Tebow and curse the Broncos. You don't know what I know. Denver's pick, while tragic, saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque to you, saves lives! But deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, - you need me in that war room - You want me in the war room. We use words like draft board, playmaker, best player available. They're the backbone of our lives. You use them as a punchline! I haven't the time or inclination to explain myself to a man who needs my draft picks but questions the way I do it. Better just to thank me. Or go to the stadium and buy season tickets. But I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Damj: Did you try to trade up for Tim Tebow!?!?

Buddy Nix: You're goddamn right I did!!!!

Here is my theory.

The Bills like Tebow. He is lefthand thus his blind side is right tackle, thus no reason to take a left tackle. So we take Spiller at 9 (great pick). Looking for Tebow in the 2nd. Knowing we could get Cam Thomas DT in 3rd.

Tebow is picked by Denver, so now the need for the left tackle is more important.

We try to talk trade to the Rams to get thier 2nd round but they want Saffold, as well. So we try to get back in the first but no takers.

We shift our Draft Brd at that point and take Troup (who is way better than Cam Thomas) and the rest is history.

I was there eating my Beef on Wick and wings w/ a Genny Cream Ale, I think Chan said something to this affect. All I know was the food was really good.

Hows that for a cooked up idea.

Or maybe it was Dan Williams

I really do think they were targeting Tebow.

First off, Buddy Nix said that the player was taken when they wanted to move up, and that could mean they wanted Baltimore's pick and Denver beat them to it.

2nd, Ralph said that Baltimore 'panicked' Translation: Ralph and the Bills offered a lower package to the Ravens to move up to get Tebow, Ralph threw a hissy fit, and spat off about the Broncos.

Dan Williams was STILL on the board at this point, so it cannot be him since Nix said the player was taken.

I really do think they were targeting Tebow.

Ralph said that Baltimore 'panicked' Translation: Ralph and the Bills offered a lower package to the Ravens to move up to get Tebow, Ralph threw a hissy fit, and spat off about the Broncos.

+1

Damj: I want the truth!

Buddy Nix: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world with secrets that must be guarded. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Beerball? I have more responsibility than you can fathom. You weep for Tim Tebow and curse the Broncos. You don't know what I know. Denver's pick, while tragic, saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque to you, saves lives! But deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, - you need me in that war room - You want me in the war room. We use words like draft board, playmaker, best player available. They're the backbone of our lives. You use them as a punchline! I haven't the time or inclination to explain myself to a man who needs my draft picks but questions the way I do it. Better just to thank me. Or go to the stadium and buy season tickets. But I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Damj: Did you try to trade up for Tim Tebow!?!?

Buddy Nix: You're goddamn right I did!!!!

Now that's funny.