What else is new?

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/25/1030...ng-project.html

The disapproval of Jerry Sullivan is well documented on this board. I have generally supported his point-of-view because over the past ten years, he has been proven correct more often than not. This time I believe Jerry's negativity is unjustified. His main complaint is that we didn't draft a franchise QB. Well Jerry, outside of Sam Bradford who was drafted, um let me see, oh yeah, #1 overall, the consensus opinion was that all of the other prospects were surrounded with question marks.

Unfortunately we are a team with several holes to fill. Way too many to address in one draft. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Troup was the right choice over Cody, but other than that, I think it was an excellent draft considering our needs.

Jerry complains about not picking a top qb prospect...

Nix made nine selections over three days and didn't grab a quarterback until the seventh round. Levi Brown,
while not committing to who or when his selection would have been. Way to leave your second-guessing options open Jerry!

The best thing for the Bills would be to bottom out, once and for all. That's especially true in the likely event that they're looking to next year's draft class for a franchise quarterback. The QB crop is expected to be deep.
You've got to love this, It's the end of April and Jerry's rooting for a top draft pick. Sweet! <_<

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The disapproval of Jerry Sullivan is well documented on this board. I have generally supported his point-of-view because over the past ten years, he has been proven correct more often than not. This time I believe Jerry's negativity is unjustified. His main complaint is that we didn't draft a franchise QB. Well Jerry, outside of Sam Bradford who was drafted, um let me see, oh yeah, #1 overall, the consensus opinion was that all of the other prospects were surrounded with question marks.

another good summary.

Buffalo: This is why Buffalo picks in the top 12 every year. Torrell Troup isn't ready to start. Alex Carrington is a bit of a project. They drafted a situational running back when they don't have much of an offensive line or nose tackle. How many games is Buffalo going to win with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards? This draft was an absolute joke and this team isn't going anywhere. I encourage all Buffalo fans to riot at Bills headquarters tomorrow. This was a pathetic performance and we will see over the next two years why it was such a terrible draft. Spiller's occasional playmaking ability saves this from an "F" grade.

Grade: D-

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog100424_grades.php

----

i guess the idea is to punt on 2010, go after jake locker with the first pick in 2011, then go LT at the top of rd 2.

Unfortunately we are a team with several holes to fill. Way too many to address in one draft. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Troup was the right choice over Cody, but other than that, I think it was an excellent draft considering our needs.

Jerry complains about not picking a qb... while not committing to who or when his selection would have been. Way to leave yourself second-guessing options open Jerry!

You've got to love this, It's the end of April and Jerry's rooting for a top draft pick. Sweet! <_<

That's the one point being left out by a lot of people. People wanted a QB earlier, but won't say who they would have taken. Every QB in this years draft, besides Bradford, was either considered a huge reach or got passed by multiple times by QB needy teams. I'm really believing that the QB crop was worse than some of us thought.

I mean, think logically, does anyone think that if Seattle, Cleveland, or Oakland believed in any of these qb's that they wouldn't have taken them in the second round? These GM's know what a qb means to the team, they passed on these guys for a reason

Spiller's occasional playmaking ability saves this from an "F" grade.

----

i guess the idea is to punt on 2010, go after jake locker with the first pick in 2011, then go LT at the top of rd 2.

Looking at that review, this is to me the funniest part. Saying CJ Spiller makes occasional plays is like say that Roy Williams occasionally drops balls.

Most of the draftniks and draft sites spent a majority of Thurs-Sat having "their" picks fall 1-3 picks lower than they thought and have now responded in kind. If the Bills had drafted Clausen in the 2nd round and drafted Cam Thomas in the 3-5th round the Bills would be hailed as kings of the draft. Let's wait for the baby.

I like reading Sully. I also like listening to Barak Obama speak. That doesn't mean I like what either of them has to say.

I've been reading Sully for 20 + years. When Felser was still writing regularly, Sully was the loyal oppositon with the dissenting opinion.

Now he is just a whiner.

The Bills could have gotten Holmgren as GM, Cowher as coach, traded into the No.1 spot and landed Bradford, traded back into the 1st round to land Bulaga .......and Sully would have whined about them mortgaging their future by trading away draft choices.

But I still like Sully, the same way I like Cliff Clavin from Cheers! Here's to you SULLY!!! <_<

Jerry complains about not picking a top qb prospect... while not committing to who or when his selection would have been. Way to leave your second-guessing options open Jerry!

A lot of people are critcizing Nix's draft strategy and justifiably so. With a ton of holes on this team, but 3 that really stand out (QB, LT, NT), he really didn't fill any of them. He drafted Wang from VA Tech, who is a former tight end and nowhere close to be ready, if ever, to start in the NFL. He ignored the QB position. He drafted a DE to try to convert him to NT. The majority of personnel who study this type of stuff, feel that the LT was the most important position on this team to address, and he passed over 4 or 5 possible franchise left tackles. With draft strategies like this, there is little doubt this organization is still declining and not improving, so if he is so inclined to draft a QB next year, he will be able too. Who knows, he might take another running back in the first round next year, so we can have half of a roster featuring 1,000 yard backs, and no line to block or QB to throw the ball. There is no doubt that Spiller can be a game changer, but we needed improvement more at every other position on the team than RB.

Looking at that review, this is to me the funniest part. Saying CJ Spiller makes occasional plays is like say that Roy Williams occasionally drops balls.

Most of the draftniks and draft sites spent a majority of Thurs-Sat having "their" picks fall 1-3 picks lower than they thought and have now responded in kind. If the Bills had drafted Clausen in the 2nd round and drafted Cam Thomas in the 3-5th round the Bills would be hailed as kings of the draft. Let's wait for the baby.

Awesome! Al Davis coined the phrase "Just win baby" while Buddy coined the phrase "Show me the baby". Can Ralph make some banners with that motto on it to plaster all over RWS like Al did in Oakland?

A lot of people are critcizing Nix's draft strategy and justifiably so. With a ton of holes on this team, but 3 that really stand out (QB, LT, NT), he really didn't fill any of them.

THE most glaring need on this team, even more than QB and LT, was run stuffing NT.* We had no one to play that position at all. At least at QB and LT we have players who have started in the NFL before. Without a run stuffing, hole clogging fat man on first and second downs, it's almost impossible to make a 3-4 work, and there would be zero chance IMO to field a decent defense. Troup is already one of the more important if not valuable players on this team, simply because of the job he will be required to do.

*Ultimately, the QB and LT positions obviously need to be filled, and I am not talking long term here, where those two positions are obviously at least as important if not more so than a NT. But right now, for 2010, a big fat run down NT was the biggest need we had, and they took the guy they felt was the best at that. We don't even need a three down NT, because Williams is fine if not pretty good as a passing down NT.

I love how everybody bitches about not taking a left tackle or QB instead of Spiller. Look how far so many of them fell before getting picked. Fast Freddy is almost 30, Lynch is a enigma, so getting what many called the most dynamic player in the draft isn't such a bad thing. Obviously Buddy did his home work. At least he didn't draft a DB!

another good summary.

Buffalo: This is why Buffalo picks in the top 12 every year. Torrell Troup isn't ready to start. Alex Carrington is a bit of a project. They drafted a situational running back when they don't have much of an offensive line or nose tackle. How many games is Buffalo going to win with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards? This draft was an absolute joke and this team isn't going anywhere. I encourage all Buffalo fans to riot at Bills headquarters tomorrow. This was a pathetic performance and we will see over the next two years why it was such a terrible draft. Spiller's occasional playmaking ability saves this from an "F" grade.

----

looking around that guys Draft analysis, I think he posted it from his Mom's basement.

Jerry complains about not picking a top qb prospect... while not committing to who or when his selection would have been. Way to leave your second-guessing options open Jerry!

If jerry thinks the best thing for the Bills to do is bottom out, then why complain about them not picking a top QB prospect? I think the Bills did the right thing not picking a QB when there was no clear franchise QB available when they picked. I think they have their eyes on next years draft class. The Bills will try to win this year, but it will be with who they have right now. Meaning they won't win much. Building throught he draft means some painful years. The Bills know this and are prepared to go through a couple of bad years. I know this may not be what many fans want to hear , especially after a decade of incompetance but this is what we're in for.

What he should be doing is getting down on his hands and knees and thanking Nix for finally doing what needed to be done.......

A couple of points

- QB IS a big need for us.....but it is not the only big need. Also needed was a way to fix the sieve that was our run defense that allowed so many 100 plus yard rushers last year. Also keep in mind that we are MAKING A MAJOR DEFENSIVE SCHEME SWITCH......that means we need players to be able to run the damn thing......Aaron Maybin, Kelsay, Schrobel (if he even comes back) were not going to be down linemen. We needed quality players and this was a draft deep in defensive talent.

- I for one am excited to know that we have the beef up front on defense that will finally not get knocked off the ball on every snap and keep our linebackers clean to make plays.....FURTHERMORE I am glad that our linebackers are not oversized safeties and we now have some thumpers. Hey maybe they might even be able to stay healthy because they are not undersized.

- There are plenty of offensive linemen that have come in and been productive that are not 1st round picks....that is not to say Nix probably didnt try to move up to get one. I have no proof of this but I really beleive it was Bulaga they were trying to put a package for and get back up into the first round. You cannot fault Nix because they didn't happen so what he did do was stay true to his draft board and take 9 players that will either help us immediately or will help us in the near future.

- Eisley is a very intriguing pick at WR

- The newswriters just need something to write about to sell papers. If he has half a brain in his head he will be able to see that this was NOT the status quo.......we worked on our lines with the majority of the picks which people have been clamoring for years. We actually started it last year with Wood and Levitre.

A lot of people are critcizing Nix's draft strategy and justifiably so. With a ton of holes on this team, but 3 that really stand out (QB, LT, NT), he really didn't fill any of them. He drafted Wang from VA Tech, who is a former tight end and nowhere close to be ready, if ever, to start in the NFL. He ignored the QB position. He drafted a DE to try to convert him to NT. The majority of personnel who study this type of stuff, feel that the LT was the most important position on this team to address, and he passed over 4 or 5 possible franchise left tackles. With draft strategies like this, there is little doubt this organization is still declining and not improving, so if he is so inclined to draft a QB next year, he will be able too. Who knows, he might take another running back in the first round next year, so we can have half of a roster featuring 1,000 yard backs, and no line to block or QB to throw the ball. There is no doubt that Spiller can be a game changer, but we needed improvement more at every other position on the team than RB.

I'm not satisfied with the qb's on our roster but putting Tebow or Claussen under center would have been disastrous.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Troup over Cody was the right choice.

Saffold fell pretty far so we were probably right in passing on him. I actually like Ed Wang. A 6'-5" 315 pounder with Olympian parents. What's not to like. As for a converted tight end playing LT, haven't we seen that somewhere before? <_<

I really believe that as time goes on this draft will convert complainers into believers.

I'm not satisfied with the qb's on our roster but putting Tebow or Claussen under center would have been disastrous.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Troup over Cody was the right choice.

Saffold fell pretty far so we were probably right in passing on him. I actually like Ed Wang. A 6'-5" 315 pounder with Olympian parents. What's not to like. As for a converted tight end playing LT, haven't we seen that somewhere before? <_<

I really believe that as time goes on this draft will convert complainers into believers.

To further along about Ed Wang.....

I dont want to turn this into a racial discussion.....but I could see him doing quite well

- Being the first Chinese player drafted into the NFL is probably a huge motivation for him

- His pedigree is incredible having Olympian parents

- I have been around asian athletes because of my son.......and I have seen parents like Wangs. They strive for absolute perfection and are not lazy which means Wang is probably also not lazy.

I think he may start for us as early as this year.

I dont want to turn this into a racial discussion.....but I could see him doing quite well

- Being the first Chinese player drafted into the NFL is probably a huge motivation for him

- I have been around asian athletes because of my son.......and I have seen parents like Wangs. They strive for absolute perfection and are not lazy which means Wang is probably also not lazy.

And move Wood to his natural position, center

That is exactly what i was thinking too. He obviously has talented and driven parents and it's safe to assume that he possesses those characteristics too. I don't think that this kid will be spending his spare time smokin' blunts, packin' 9's, and running down pedestrians while drunk in the wee hours of the morning. This kid could end up being one of the draft's biggest steals.

That's the one point being left out by a lot of people. People wanted a QB earlier, but won't say who they would have taken. Every QB in this years draft, besides Bradford, was either considered a huge reach or got passed by multiple times by QB needy teams. I'm really believing that the QB crop was worse than some of us thought.

I mean, think logically, does anyone think that if Seattle, Cleveland, or Oakland believed in any of these qb's that they wouldn't have taken them in the second round? These GM's know what a qb means to the team, they passed on these guys for a reason

Yeah "Franchise QB" so the Bills would have creamed if they would have taken Tebow anywhere in the 1st Round (just like Denver is). Clausen wasn't picked until pick #48. and McCoy until #85.

So where was the Franchise QB again?