Fox Sports Grades Bills Draft a "C"

box0life

Only Jacksonville was worse with a C-. Outside of Cory Chavous I've seen no above average grades for the Bills so far.

I have to agree with them. I see nothing special with this draft except Spiller. I might say that Levi Brown was a good value pick in the seventh. Other than that nothing really stands out as a coup.

I still don't understand why we didn't trade Lynch to Seattle. They apparently really tried to get him. What is Nix thinking?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Jacksonville was worse with a C-. Outside of Cory Chavous I've seen no above average grades for the Bills so far.

I have to agree with them. I see nothing special with this draft except Spiller. I might say that Levi Brown was a good value pick in the seventh. Other than that nothing really stands out as a coup.

I still don't understand why we didn't trade Lynch to Seattle. They apparently really tried to get him. What is Nix thinking?

Didn't Fox love the Maybin pick and pan the Byrd pick (a reach they said, i think) Who cars what TV idiots think? Let's see if we can run the ball, stop the run and score some damn points next year.

why do you agree with them? because they drafted a few players you dont know? sure seems that way because the only two players you mentioned are the ones most have probably seen play but the rest that you probably havent seen you say dont really stand out

they added size and speed to the front seven that desperately needed it

people need to let the Lynch thing go..there isnt anything wrong with having 3 good RBs and in fact its a good thing...all 3 can catch and lineup wide but each can bring something different to the table as well

it is also still only April correct? they can still trade him but trading or keeping him isnt going to make or break this season anyway so please, stop cryin about it

why do you agree with them? because they drafted a few players you dont know? sure seems that way because the only two players you mentioned are the ones most have probably seen play but the rest that you probably havent seen you say dont really stand out

people need to let the Lynch thing go..there isnt anything wrong with having 3 good RBs and in fact its a good thing...all 3 can catch and lineup wide but each can bring something different to the table as well

it is also still only April correct? they can still trade him but trading or keeping him isnt going to make or break this season anyway so please, stop cryin about it

Correct. No reason to trade a good, young, talented player coming off a down year. Thats like trading a stock just after it plunged on the market. Keep him, hell only get better next year.

fox sports = fox news = crap on rye with fried baloney

Why do you agree with draft grades before players even play a NFL game? Let's look at 3 years ago, Fox Sports gave Falcons a A+ and Raiders a A in 2007 draft. Who did both teams draft and how well did they play in last 3 seasons?

Falcons:

1 Jamaal Anderson ==> starter, 2.5 sacks in 3 seasons (44 games). For comparison, Kelsay had 7 sacks in his first 3 seasons.

2 Justin Blalock ==> starter

2 Chris Houston ==> not with Falcons now

3 Laurent Robinson ==> not with Falcons now

4 Stephen Nicholas ==> only became starter last season, will probably lose it after Weatherspoon was drafted at #19

4 Martrez Milner ==> not in the league now

6 Trey Lewis ==> backup, only play 17 games in 3 seasons

6 David Irons ==> not in the league now

6 Doug Datish ==> not with Falcons now

6 Daren Stone ==> not in the league now

7 Jason Snelling ==> backup RB, played a bit last season because of injuries of Turner and Norwood

Raiders:

1 JaMarcus Russell ==> One of the all-time busts

2 Zach Miller ==> starter

3 Quentin Moses ==> not with Raiders now

3 Mario Henderson ==> only became starter last season and struggled at LT, allowed most sacks (9 1/2) in NFL last season

3 Johnnie Lee Higgins ==> 6, 22, and 19 rec in last 3 seasons

4 Michael Bush ==> missed first season, rushed for 421 and 589 yards in following 2 seasons

4 John Bowie ==> not with Raiders now

5 Jay Richardson ==> starter in first 2 seasons and a backup last season, 7 sacks in 48 games

5 Eric Frampton ==> not with Raiders now

6 Oren O'Neal ==> not with Raiders now

7 Johnathan Holland ==> kickoff returner last season, only 19.6 yards per return which is 97th among returners.

DarthICE gave the Bills draft a "solid A"! :thumbsup:

Most of the analysts I have seen tend to gloss over a lot of this stuff and don't really dig into the details. Most of them are true 'talking heads'. Chavous actually did some research, and watched film of the Bills' selections. He made some intelligent observations. Other analysts I saw (including on NFL Network post-draft coverage) clearly hadn't done that level of research and had no real insight. Their only comments were generalizations, and apart from Spiller they tended to focus on the negative aspects (no T or QB) rather than the positive ones (excellent upgrades to defense).

A lot of the so-called experts don't do their homework, so if they seem to lack in real details, take it with a grain of salt.

Why do you agree with draft grades before players even play a NFL game? Let's look at 3 years ago, Fox Sports gave Falcons a A+ and Raiders a A in 2007 draft. Who did both teams draft and how well did they play in last 3 seasons?

Falcons:

1 Jamaal Anderson ==> starter, 2.5 sacks in 3 seasons (44 games). For comparison, Kelsay had 7 sacks in his first 3 seasons.

4 Stephen Nicholas ==> only became starter last season, will probably lose it after Weatherspoon was drafted at #19

7 Jason Snelling ==> backup RB, played a bit last season because of injuries of Turner and Norwood

Raiders:

3 Mario Henderson ==> only became starter last season and struggled at LT, allowed most sacks (9 1/2) in NFL last season

4 Michael Bush ==> missed first season, rushed for 421 and 589 yards in following 2 seasons

5 Jay Richardson ==> starter in first 2 seasons and a backup last season, 7 sacks in 48 games

7 Johnathan Holland ==> kickoff returner last season, only 19.6 yards per return which is 97th among returners.

Well said!! :thumbsup:

What was Nix thinking? Jackson is almost 30 and we need a power runner to go along with Spiller.

Exactly....

That as well as the Seahawk's obviously not offering enough to make it happen.

Falcons:

Raiders:

Of course you can't really judge what will happen in the future. Does that stop people from doing eight million polls leading up to the presidential election? From predicting the number of wins their team will have? From putting down money on horses, football, baseball and craps games? So why not try to do your best and predict how good the drafts are, how they match your needs (very easy to diagnose) and whether your team got good value or not.

Strange how the years the Bills drafts are ranked high, nobody much complains about the uselessness of grading drafts before three years have passed. It's only when we get crappy grades that everyone's out there saying that nobody knows yet how good the classes are.

Most of the analysts I have seen tend to gloss over a lot of this stuff and don't really dig into the details. Most of them are true 'talking heads'. Chavous actually did some research, and watched film of the Bills' selections. He made some intelligent observations. Other analysts I saw (including on NFL Network post-draft coverage) clearly hadn't done that level of research and had no real insight. Their only comments were generalizations, and apart from Spiller they tended to focus on the negative aspects (no T or QB) rather than the positive ones (excellent upgrades to defense).

A lot of the so-called experts don't do their homework, so if they seem to lack in real details, take it with a grain of salt.

Yeah, but here's another example. The bad grades are to be taken with a grain of salt, but the good grade comes from research, watching film and intelligent observations.

Corey Chavous has been around for a while. All of a sudden he's getting massive props on Bills boards. Why? Couldn't be because he graded us well, could it?

Honestly, I don't know how good this draft will be, I have no sense for it, but I don't like spending our third-rounder on a guy who will be, at best, a rotational DE when DE is already one of our stronger positions, not when we had some major holes that could have been addressed here.

How will that pick look years from now if Carrington is a very fine run-stopping DE and we haven't managed to fill our hole at LT successfully and Charles Brown or Jason Fox is a terrific LT?

It's just too soon to tell. Barring injury, Spiller appears a lock as a high impact player. If Troup works out at NT that goes a long way to a successful 3-4 conversion. Which means all we'd need to find is one other quality starter to make it a success. That, and maybe a solid backup or situational player ... you really can't ask for much more.

After day one I was very skeptical...then I was skeptical again when the took Torell Troup as high as they did...day two I still was questioning whether or not we were going to have a good draft...not that I don't think Spiller is probably the best RB since Thurman to come to Buffalo...but, just because of our crowded backfield...and I didn't know anything really about Torell Troup....

Day three these guys showed why they were scouts for so damn long...Nix and company blew my mind in day three...

Wang is a special kid...along with beefing up our front seven with solid guys that give us depth and special teamers...I was really impressed...then to grab Levi in the seventh???...just a good all around draft...really...I think we are alright...I give our draft a B maybe B plus

Didn't Fox love the Maybin pick and pan the Byrd pick (a reach they said, i think) Who cars what TV idiots think? Let's see if we can run the ball, stop the run and score some damn points next year.

I'm with you.........we can't do it all in one year.