Round 5, Pick #140: OT Ed Wang - Virgina Tech

ax4782

Highlighting the phrases that can be viewed childishly when thinking about his last name.

OTs can wear #69, right? Make Jamon Meredith ditch the number, give it to this guy, and jersey sales will be through the roof. We won't have to worry about going bankrupt or losing the team for decades.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed Wang 6'5" 314

T, Virginia Tech

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is well built. Shows the quickness to slide outside to cutoff most speed rushers when keeping knees bent. Shows good strength to eliminate pass rushers once he gets hands on them. Gets through the line to easily block linebackers on the second level, maintaining good balance. Can seal defensive ends to set the corner for running backs. Flashes the strength to torque his man off his feet.

Weaknesses: Shows inconsistent technique. Could struggle to block NFL edge pass rushers. Rarely uses hand punch in pass protection, leaving his chest open and thus gets driven backward by bull rushers. Tends to pass block with straight legs, struggling to re-direct and counter secondary pass-rush moves. Does not fire off the snap in the running game, and can be jolted backward.

Bottom line: Wang is a frustrating prospect. He has the physical talent to be a productive NFL starter, but his inconsistent technique and effort drives coaches batty. He is sure to look good in pre-draft workouts, but he's a risky pick because of his questionable production on film. Wang will be drafted higher than we have him graded, based solely on his natural athleticism, but prospects lacking in intensity rarely find the desire in the pros.

Coach him up. He has the tools. Good pick.

Love the pick.

For the Bulaga supporters, here are their combine numbers:

Wang 40 Speed: 5.20 seconds; 3-Cone DNP; Shuttle 4.70 seconds; Vertical 27.0; BroadJump 96; Bench 29

Bulaga 40 Speed: 5.22 seconds; 3-Cone 7.70; Shuttle 4.75 seconds; Vertical 27.5; BroadJump 98; Bench 26

Wang rated 5th - below #4 Campbell and above #6 - Brian Bulaga.

OTs can wear #69, right? Make Jamon Meredith ditch the number, give it to this guy, and jersey sales will be through the roof. We won't have to worry about going bankrupt or losing the team for decades.

Props to you buddy. Russ Brandon should be taking notes.

Not sure if this is already posted: Wang's Draft Diary

To be honest, I didn’t feel that I was one of the best O-linemen in the ACC over the past two years. I always felt like there were people better than me. I think that’s what made me work hard. I never, ever felt like I was a top-of-the-line tackle because I always expected more out of myself than what people expected out of me. That was always my mindset: You can’t be complacent with where you’re at because that’s when people start catching you. And then, that’s when things start going downhill.

Has anybody realized yet that 'Bills Nation' has just exploded by 3 BILLION people!

Don't believe it? See Houston Rockets global fan club. Every Rockets game is nationally televised in China and always on airport TV's. I've seen this.

Has anybody realized yet that 'Bills Nation' has just exploded by 3 BILLION people!

Don't believe it? See Houston Rockets global fan club. Every Rockets game is nationally televised in China and always on airport TV's. I've seen this.

I'm sure Russ has taken note. $$$