Round 3, Pick #72: DE Alex Carrington Arkansas State

SDS

And it's a smart move given the holes on offense. I think it's pretty simple, Nix doesn't think the offense players (specifically OL and QB) that are there are good enough to fill the holes. He does think the Defensive players can. Not picking OL or QB doesn't mean the team doesn't care about those positions, only that they don't think the ones that are there are good enough. I don't know much about O-linemen, but I am 100% in agreement about the QB.

another smart post? what?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's a smart move given the holes on offense. I think it's pretty simple, Nix doesn't think the offense players (specifically OL and QB) that are there are good enough to fill the holes. He does think the Defensive players can. Not picking OL or QB doesn't mean the team doesn't care about those positions, only that they don't think the ones that are there are good enough. I don't know much about O-linemen, but I am 100% in agreement about the QB.

This^

The logic behind taking guys because fans have heard of them doesn't always work out well.

Well, unless Spiller gets around 2,000 yards from scrimmage, it looks like another year of horrible offense and mediocre defense. Should be about as exciting as we're accustomed to.

So our defense has been upgraded to mediocre but our offense would have been awesome if we'd picked some other player?

Go change your panties.

Did you guys watch how bad we were gashed by the running game last year? They are actually building a defense with big bodies, not 230 lb DE's or corners. I like all of the picks so far. I am calling it now, Lefevour is the pick at QB. Just a hunch.

i hope they trade up and draft Campbell before he is gone.Atleast our defensive line has depth,now do something about the oline!!!!

I watch all the Maryland games and Campbell just isn't that special. Reminds me of Jamie Nails. Lazy and not that tough for a big guy.

Drafting a 'name' does not necessarily fix the position. Maybe there is another Mike Williams to anchor our line for the next few years, maybe there is not.

I know that Peters is pretty popular here and he was a 1st round pick. No way you can find a good LT outside the first round so why draft one in the third?

Look, I get what they are doing. They decided to focus on D. But 1 OT would greatly increase our chances of being competative. Maybe he wouldn't be a starter, but a quality back-up-- somone who will eventually be a starter. But I'm not a GM so I guess I got to be patient.

Whoever made the call on Spiller must have called out sick today. I can live with Troupe even though he went too early but this guy, come on. Both are reaches but at least Troupe was on people's radar. The offensive line needs help! You want to pick a project, then go after Bruce Campbell.

How many D-linemen does that make?

Carrington, Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, Dwan Edwards, Chris Ellis, John McCargo, Chris Kelsay.

That's not counting Schobel and Maybin who will likely move to OLB.

McCargo? Kelsay?

I would rather turn the page on some of our current defensive line players and move on.