Round 3, Pick #72: DE Alex Carrington Arkansas State

SDS

This sucks. I though Nix said that LT was a need....

Ruined my night listening to this!

Drafting a 'name' does not necessarily fix the position. Maybe there is another Mike Williams to anchor our line for the next few years, maybe there is not.

I know that Peters is pretty popular here and he was a 1st round pick. No way you can find a good LT outside the first round so why draft one in the third?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another damn good pick for WHAT WE ARE DOING!

He doesn't have great lateral quickness or agility to come off the edge as a 4-3 end but is well suited for a five-technique in 3-4 scheme. He is best at the point of attack, anchoring versus the run, and is effective pushing the pocket as a bull rusher

Great 3-4 DE and the last I checked we are running a 3-4. Seems the goal right this minute is to get the Defense up to speed ASAP

An Arkansas St. season ticket holder too!?!?! You must fly for free!!!!!!!!!!!

For what it's worth, CBSsports.com had Alex rated as the 6th best DE and going in the 2nd round.

EDIT:

I would have liked Campbell, but I like this guy WAY better than McCoy, for the Bills.

Intangibles: Graduated with a 3.52 GPA in Psychology and plans to return to grad school and become a clinical psychologist after his football career. Recruited by the likes of LSU and Mississippi, among others, but elected to come to Arkansas State to remain closest to his son. Started the final 36 games of his career. Also plays on special teams, including as an in-line blocker on the field goal and PAT units.

Another damn good pick for WHAT WE ARE DOING!

He doesn't have great lateral quickness or agility to come off the edge as a 4-3 end but is well suited for a five-technique in 3-4 scheme. He is best at the point of attack, anchoring versus the run, and is effective pushing the pocket as a bull rusher

Great 3-4 DE and the last I checked we are running a 3-4. Seems the goal right this minute is to get the Defense up to speed ASAP

And it's a smart move given the holes on offense. I think it's pretty simple, Nix doesn't think the offense players (specifically OL and QB) that are there are good enough to fill the holes. He does think the Defensive players can. Not picking OL or QB doesn't mean the team doesn't care about those positions, only that they don't think the ones that are there are good enough. I don't know much about O-linemen, but I am 100% in agreement about the QB.

Intangibles: Graduated with a 3.52 GPA in Psychology and plans to return to grad school and become a clinical psychologist after his football career. Recruited by the likes of LSU and Mississippi, among others, but elected to come to Arkansas State to remain closest to his son. Started the final 36 games of his career. Also plays on special teams, including as an in-line blocker on the field goal and PAT units.

Smart, team player, and can flat out play. Another Nix guy who will fit in great in this 34 D.

Drafting a 'name' does not necessarily fix the position. Maybe there is another Mike Williams to anchor our line for the next few years, maybe there is not.

I know that Peters is pretty popular here and he was a 1st round pick. No way you can find a good LT outside the first round so why draft one in the third?

I agree. The Bills' plan of only committing late-round and undrafted resources to the OT position has worked like gangbusters for the last 5 years, so why change course now?

The message this draft has sent so far is that the offense was 1 "playmaker" away, but the defense needed a lot of work. Half right.

If I am a QB currently signed with the Bills, am I ever going to get some pass blocking help?

Yeah its call grow a pair of balls, get a !@#$ing clue and learn to read a god damn defense and get rid of the ball on time!!!!!!!

How many D-linemen does that make?

Carrington, Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams, Spencer Johnson, Dwan Edwards, Chris Ellis, John McCargo, Chris Kelsay.

That's not counting Schobel and Maybin who will likely move to OLB.