Speculation: Bills to trade up to get ND's Clausen!!

How about Lynch and a R4 pick for #33 overall??

The Bills would be in the driver seat then.

They could:

1. Draft QB J. Clausen and fill one of their three biggest needs.

2. Draft an OT (OT B. Campbell was expected to be a R1 pick).

3. Draft NT T. Cody.

4. Trade down a little bit and pick up an extra R3 or R4 pick. Then select of one of the three players above.

5. Trade down twice (a al Denver) and pick up multiple additional R3 or R4 picks while still being able to grab one of the three above.

The key issue is whether Nix is infatuated with any of the three. If he is then he would obviously stay at #33 and make the pick.

My guess is that if Nix trades for the #33 pick it will be to get ahead of Cleveland in order to select a QB. That QB would be J. Clausen.

I'm amazed that Clausen was not taken in R1. To get him in R2 would be an absolute steal for the Bills. He would be extremely motivated to prove to the NFL world that he was deserving of a R1 selection, not unlike QB D. Brees (last year's Super Bowl MVP).

Replacing Lynch with Spiller and adding Clausen at QB to build around would be some significant improvements for the Bills.

As an aside, the draft mag. that I picked up a few days ago USA Today) happens to have Clausen on the cover and predicted that he would be selected #1 overall.

In the future, when naming your thread, please do not announce something like a breaking news story when it's just your opinion.

PTR

Hey Hey Hey, you cant do that, stop taking away the mods jobs!!!

They have nothing to do anyways..... :huh:

Aside from whether the Bills like or want Clausen, that trade would be insanely lopsided in our favor, I believe. I'd be very, very happy to pull that trade off giving up our third and maybe even a fifth.

I realize that, but it seems pretty obvious to me that the Bills will look to St. Louis to try to acquire the franchise QB that they desperately need.

It's been confirmed that the Bills have contacted the Rams who have the first pick in R2 (#33 overall).

I can't see any other reason why the Bills would want to trade up to #33 overall (just ahead of Cleveland, who also needs a starting QB) than to select Clausen.

The Bills probably can't believe that they even have the opportunity.

Heck, I figured they would make the move last night towards the end of R1 (possibly with Minnesota who could use a RB like Lynch since they lost RB C. Taylor as their backup).

Finding a franchise QB is the most difficult thing to do. The Bills obviously know this. They've been searching for such a player since J. Kelly retired. They already tried to trade for McNabb so they have shown their hand.

Lynch has become very expendable now that Spiller has been selected so I fully expect that he will be traded with the team having so many holes to fill. The Bills can't afford to have three stud RBs and major holes at QB, LT, and NT among others so it only stands to reason. Lynch is young, very talented, and was a former R1 pick. He will garner some interest.

The only question that remains is, how much will the Bills be willing to give up to get Clausen??

It's been confirmed that the Bills have contacted the Rams who have the first pick in R2 (#33 overall).

It hasn't been confirmed whatsoever - it was speculated by an Adam Schefter "source", presumably the same source that was wrong about the Bills' interest in Tim Tebow.

Clausen, McCoy, Mt. Cody, Brown,Bruce Campbell...any one of the four would be a good second round pick. I think the bills might want to sit tight and take the best NEEDED player at their pick. I'm not seeing anyone worth a trade up, unless you could actually get a second rounder for Lynch.

They could:

1. Draft QB J. Clausen and fill one of their three biggest needs.

2. Draft an OT (OT B. Campbell was expected to be a R1 pick).

3. Draft NT T. Cody.

4. Trade down a little bit and pick up an extra R3 or R4 pick. Then select of one of the three players above.

5. Trade down twice (a al Denver) and pick up multiple additional R3 or R4 picks while still being able to grab one of the three above.

The key issue is whether Nix is infatuated with any of the three. If he is then he would obviously stay at #33 and make the pick.

My guess is that if Nix trades for the #33 pick it will be to get ahead of Cleveland in order to select a QB. That QB would be J. Clausen.

I'm amazed that Clausen was not taken in R1. To get him in R2 would be an absolute steal for the Bills. He would be extremely motivated to prove to the NFL world that he was deserving of a R1 selection, not unlike QB D. Brees (last year's Super Bowl MVP).

Replacing Lynch with Spiller and adding Clausen at QB to build around would be some significant improvements for the Bills.

As an aside, the draft mag. that I picked up a few days ago USA Today) happens to have Clausen on the cover and predicted that he would be selected #1 overall.

why bother? No one will take him ahead of us and he isnt good anyway

The only question that remains is, how much will the Bills be willing to give up to get Clausen??

No, that's not quite the only question that remains.

Another question is Do they even like Clausen?

Another question is Do they view him as a franchise-type quarterback?

Another question is Do they feel he's a good value in the 2nd round compared to Pike/Snead/Skelton, et al in the 3rd or 4th round?

Another question is do they have Colt McCoy rated ahead of Clausen.

It seems like you really like Clausen and hope the Bills get him.

I realize that, but it seems pretty obvious to me that the Bills will look to St. Louis to try to acquire the franchise QB that they desperately need.

I can't see any other reason why the Bills would want to trade up to #33 overall (just ahead of Cleveland, who also needs a starting QB) than to select Clausen.

The Bills probably can't believe that they even have the opportunity.

Heck, I figured they would make the move last night towards the end of R1 (possibly with Minnesota who could use a RB like Lynch since they lost RB C. Taylor as their backup).

Finding a franchise QB is the most difficult thing to do. The Bills obviously know this. They've been searching for such a player since J. Kelly retired. They already tried to trade for McNabb so they have shown their hand.

Lynch has become very expendable now that Spiller has been selected so I fully expect that he will be traded with the team having so many holes to fill. The Bills can't afford to have three stud RBs and major holes at QB, LT, and NT among others so it only stands to reason. Lynch is young, very talented, and was a former R1 pick. He will garner some interest.

+1

La Canfora is one of the few non-idiots on NFLN. I believe he's spot on:

1. The Bills don't believe in Clausen

2. They have already scouted the heck out of mid-round QB's and that's where they'll get one - later.

3. There are four good OT's still on the board - one of them will be there for Buffalo at #41 and be (another) good value pick.

Another misleadingly titled thread.

Thank you for changing the title.

It should be interesting to see how many entrants are in the Jimmy Clausen derby.

We have no idea how much the Bills like him.

Probably they don't like him very much if they were looking to trade picks & move up yesterday to pick someone else.

Well, I still like him anyway.