Round 1, Pick #9: CJ Spiller RB Clemson

SDS

The way I see it, Spiller fills the role of RB and WR(which is a need). Chan wants to put his stamp on a certain style of offense, and Spiller is going to play a pivotal roll. Whether people feel its a need or not, he offered great value at the spot he was taken, and gives us great flexibility to move Marshawn for more picks in this supposedly deep draft.

Who knows, after the season starts and a contenders RB goes down, Lynch's value will be higher in picks for next years draft.

Either way, lets let this play out as we have 8 more picks.

I'm o.k. with Spiller. This is the first draft in years that my blood pressure isn't out of control over our first round pick. Yes, we have other needs, but I think we just acquired a very special player.

I'm with you. Bulaga fell to 23. Dan Williams was taken long after the Bills picked. Not one GM thought Clausen was worth taking with their #1 pick. Anthony Davis wasn't taken long after 9 but he's a risky pick. With the way the draft fell Spiller just doesn't seem like a bad pick.

The key is going to be what they do in round 2 (I hate this one-and-done Thursday night thing). They've got to get an OT.

This article should help clear things up: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...43-14213e67e889

Though he excels outside the tackles he has shown an ability to take the ball north-south when necessary, which give Nix confidence he can be more than just a boundary type player.

and

Nix was asked about the other positional needs the team has coming into this draft, most notably the offensive and defensive lines. For Buffalo’s general manager, he believes there will still be opportunities to fill those holes with their eight remaining picks.

“Need is important, but it had to be a guy that we thought was the player that could come in here and start immediately,” said Nix. “Not to say that some of those guys couldn’t, maybe they could, but we also think we have a chance to get that position filled later on in the draft. There’s only one Spiller.”

And by the way-606 rushes in college, ZERO FUMBLES!

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=192151

Jeez! That's just as impressive to me as the 50 TDs in four years. That's protecting the rock. I think we're gonna love this kid.

GO BILLS!!!

I was going to ask how many fumbles he had in college, when people were talking about Peterson (whose fumbling problems knock him down from god status). Carrying it that many times without fumbling is amazing.

Best Player Available. Surprised they didn't trade down with San Diego. I'm glad they drafted the best player available instead of reaching for "needs".

In the first round you're better off taking the Best Player available or trading down a la the Patriots not reaching for need.

Initially, I was of the "WTF" sentiment on this pick. Now that I have thought it over, listened to national opinions of Spiller, taken into consideration the Lynch status and examined who is still available, Spiller may be a home run. I have been of the opinion that building a monster and nimble offensive line and a formidable pass rush were the main priorities for the Bills. I think the offensive line is on it's way with last years picks. I still want a "real" pass rush. Like the new coach and GM, I am willing to give Spiller a chance. I think that teams don't want Lynch except at a discount rate. Maybe the Bills should hold Lynch until during the preseason when teams start losing running backs to injury. Then and only then will the Bills recoup any value for Lynch. I prefer Colt McCoy for qb and Golden Tate for wr.

One more thing to consider about Spiller: Barry Sanders was 5" 8'. Before Sanders was drafted, there was skepticism because of his size. A don't mean to put too much pressure on Spiller nor do I say he will be the next Barry Sanders but what if? Speaking of what if, what if the Bills did assemble that monster offensive line and Spiller turns it out? It should be an interesting weekend!

Last year our biggest needs were arguably pass rush and OL. In the first two rounds we took a pass rusher, two OL -- that is not drafting for need? And the one guy we drafted who wasnt a need was a Pro Bowl player.

also correct, thank you

here are the BEST AVAILABLE as rated by NFLDRAFTSCOUT.com

#13 Taylor Mays FS

#14 Jimmy Clauson QB

#20 Everson Griffen DE

#21 Sergio Kindle OLB

#27 Carlos Dunlap DE

#28 Golden Tate WR

#29 Brian Price DT

#31 Charles Brown OT

#36 Bruce Campbell OT

#37 Daryl Washington OLB

#40 Colt McCoy QB

#41 Rob Gronkowski TE

#44 Terrence Cody DT

(skip)

#47 Roger Saffold OT

(skip)

#52 Cam Thomas DT

The Bills were having a chat during the draft with Chris Brown, my comment on the Spiller pick never made it up there, so I will post it here.

Spiller may be a great running back, reciever, but when the QB is on his ass before he can get the ball off or the runner is stuffed in the backfield than the reality of a bad offensive line hits home again. The line has been below average since Wolford left and it will not improve this year with out some serious help.

I wonder how FJ managed 4.5 yards per carry? <_<

You are an idiot.

A good RB is 5'10 215

He is not short for a RB he is light.

CJ Spiller is 5'11". I've seen this 5'9" stuff on the board here a lot. He's 5'11" (5'10" 5/8 to be precise)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010RB.php

C.J. Spiller, Clemson - Scouting Report

Height: 5-11. Weight: 196.

Projected 40 Time: 4.34.

Combine 40 Time: 4.27.

Benchx225: 18. Vertical: 36. Broad: 10-6.

Projected Round (2010): Top 17 Pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1127382

C.J. Spiller, RB

Height: 5-11 | Weight: 196 | College: Clemson

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/playe...5503/cj-spiller

C.J. Spiller

Running Back

A premier college player with all the physical tools to take over a game and play at a championship level. He demonstrates elite-to-rare NFL potential and rates in the top 5 players nationally at his position. A prospect with a grade of 99 or 100 is rare. Prospects carrying grades between 92-98 are considered mid-to-high first rounders, while prospects grading out between 90-91 are fringe first rounders.

2009 NCAA FOOTBALL STATS

ATT YDS TDS

216 1,212 12

2010 Draft Pick Info

TEAM ROUND PICK

BUF 1 9(9)

Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2006: (13/1) 129 carries, 938 yards (7.3 avg.), 10 TD; 19 catches, 210 yards, 2 TDs; 11 PR, 33 yards (3.0); 13 KOR, 234 yards (18.0 avg.). 2007: (13/5) 145 carries, 768 yards (5.3 avg.), 3 TD; 34 catches, 271 yards, 2 TD; 16 PR, 137 yards (8.6 avg.); 19 KOR, 547 yards (28.8), 2 TD. 2008: (12/1) 116 carries, 629 yards (5.4 avg.), 7 TD; 34 catches, 436 yards, 3 TD; 1 for 1 passing, 15 yards, TD; 18 PR, 189 yards (10.5 avg.); 19 KOR, 516 yards (27.2). 2009: (14/12) 216 carries, 1,212 yards (5.6 avg.), 12 TD; 36 catches, 503 yards, 4 TD; 1 for 2 passing, 17 yards, 1 TD; 8 PR, 210 yards (26.3 avg.), 1 TD; 23 KOR, 755 yards (32.8), 4 TD. Career: Seven kickoff return TDs are an NCAA record.

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Prototypical height but lean. Could stand to add about 10 pounds to his frame if possible without losing exceptional top-end speed (2nd fasted 40 time of RB's at this year's combine and it translates to the field).

Durability 4 Slight frame adds to existing durability issues. Slowed by turf toe and hamstring injuries in 2009. Pulls hamstring during first half of the 2008 Wake Forest game and misses Georgia Tech game with injury. Misses most of second half of 2008 Boston College game with what appeared to be a head injury.

Intangibles 2 Coaches and teammates rave about his football character. First-team Academic All-ACC and made Dean's List in the first semester of 2008. First Clemson back to make All-ACC on the field and in the classroom in the same semester. Graduated in three-and-a-half years. Flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct with team trailing by two points in fourth quarter of the 2009 Gator Bowl. Held out of most of 2009 spring practices so he could focus on track.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness 1 Fights for yards after contact, tougher to tackle than his size suggests. Plays with emotion and isn't afraid to get in defenders' faces. Fights for the ball when it's in the air and isn't afraid to expose frame to big hit when competing for jump balls.

Vision/Patience 3 Vision in open field is better than between the tackles. Appears hesitant at times and will get caught dancing in the backfield. However, he does an adequate job of locating seams and setting up blocks, especially when attacking the perimeter.

Inside Runner 3 Lacks the leg drive necessary to push the pile in short-yardage situations. Not a downhill runner and can get caught dancing in the hole. Will not break many arm tackles and goes down too easily at times. However, he possesses excellent balance and lateral agility, which will allow him to succeed in this area of the NFL game. Displays elite burst through the line of scrimmage when he catches a crease. Explodes to the second level and can run away from defenders.

Outside Runner 1 Turns the corner in a flash and shows a second gear when gets into space. Great body control when turning the corner. Changes directions quickly and is elusive enough to make multiple defenders miss in space.

Passing Game 1 A potential difference maker as a pass catcher. Has experience lining up in slot and splitting out wide. Above average route runner for his position. Can adjust to the poorly thrown ball and displays consistent ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Excellent acceleration and is a huge threat in the open field after the catch. Willing pass blocker.

I wonder how FJ managed 4.5 yards per carry? <_<

CJ Spiller is 5'11". I've seen this 5'9" stuff on the board here a lot. He's 5'11" (5'10" 5/8 to be precise)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010RB.php

C.J. Spiller, Clemson - Scouting Report

Height: 5-11. Weight: 196.

Projected 40 Time: 4.34.

Combine 40 Time: 4.27.

Benchx225: 18. Vertical: 36. Broad: 10-6.

Projected Round (2010): Top 17 Pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1127382

C.J. Spiller, RB

Height: 5-11 | Weight: 196 | College: Clemson

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/playe...5503/cj-spiller

C.J. Spiller

Running Back

A premier college player with all the physical tools to take over a game and play at a championship level. He demonstrates elite-to-rare NFL potential and rates in the top 5 players nationally at his position. A prospect with a grade of 99 or 100 is rare. Prospects carrying grades between 92-98 are considered mid-to-high first rounders, while prospects grading out between 90-91 are fringe first rounders.

2009 NCAA FOOTBALL STATS

ATT YDS TDS

216 1,212 12

2010 Draft Pick Info

TEAM ROUND PICK

BUF 1 9(9)

Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 2006: (13/1) 129 carries, 938 yards (7.3 avg.), 10 TD; 19 catches, 210 yards, 2 TDs; 11 PR, 33 yards (3.0); 13 KOR, 234 yards (18.0 avg.). 2007: (13/5) 145 carries, 768 yards (5.3 avg.), 3 TD; 34 catches, 271 yards, 2 TD; 16 PR, 137 yards (8.6 avg.); 19 KOR, 547 yards (28.8), 2 TD. 2008: (12/1) 116 carries, 629 yards (5.4 avg.), 7 TD; 34 catches, 436 yards, 3 TD; 1 for 1 passing, 15 yards, TD; 18 PR, 189 yards (10.5 avg.); 19 KOR, 516 yards (27.2). 2009: (14/12) 216 carries, 1,212 yards (5.6 avg.), 12 TD; 36 catches, 503 yards, 4 TD; 1 for 2 passing, 17 yards, 1 TD; 8 PR, 210 yards (26.3 avg.), 1 TD; 23 KOR, 755 yards (32.8), 4 TD. Career: Seven kickoff return TDs are an NCAA record.

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Prototypical height but lean. Could stand to add about 10 pounds to his frame if possible without losing exceptional top-end speed (2nd fasted 40 time of RB's at this year's combine and it translates to the field).

Durability 4 Slight frame adds to existing durability issues. Slowed by turf toe and hamstring injuries in 2009. Pulls hamstring during first half of the 2008 Wake Forest game and misses Georgia Tech game with injury. Misses most of second half of 2008 Boston College game with what appeared to be a head injury.

Intangibles 2 Coaches and teammates rave about his football character. First-team Academic All-ACC and made Dean's List in the first semester of 2008. First Clemson back to make All-ACC on the field and in the classroom in the same semester. Graduated in three-and-a-half years. Flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct with team trailing by two points in fourth quarter of the 2009 Gator Bowl. Held out of most of 2009 spring practices so he could focus on track.

Running Back Specific Traits

Competitiveness 1 Fights for yards after contact, tougher to tackle than his size suggests. Plays with emotion and isn't afraid to get in defenders' faces. Fights for the ball when it's in the air and isn't afraid to expose frame to big hit when competing for jump balls.

Vision/Patience 3 Vision in open field is better than between the tackles. Appears hesitant at times and will get caught dancing in the backfield. However, he does an adequate job of locating seams and setting up blocks, especially when attacking the perimeter.

Inside Runner 3 Lacks the leg drive necessary to push the pile in short-yardage situations. Not a downhill runner and can get caught dancing in the hole. Will not break many arm tackles and goes down too easily at times. However, he possesses excellent balance and lateral agility, which will allow him to succeed in this area of the NFL game. Displays elite burst through the line of scrimmage when he catches a crease. Explodes to the second level and can run away from defenders.

Outside Runner 1 Turns the corner in a flash and shows a second gear when gets into space. Great body control when turning the corner. Changes directions quickly and is elusive enough to make multiple defenders miss in space.

Passing Game 1 A potential difference maker as a pass catcher. Has experience lining up in slot and splitting out wide. Above average route runner for his position. Can adjust to the poorly thrown ball and displays consistent ability to track the ball over his shoulder. Excellent acceleration and is a huge threat in the open field after the catch. Willing pass blocker.

seriously, when you are wearing a helmet and pads and cleats and running 15 yards apart from the nearest defender, 5'10, 5'11, and 6'0 are pretty much the same. HA HA....yeah, he is dwarfed by all the great 6'2 RB's in the league.....gimme a f*cking break people