A Few Thoughts About Drafting A Left Tackle.....

Truly great LTs are generally drafted very early. Players such as Pace, Bosselli, Ogden and Jones were drafted 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th respectively. Obviously, they were standout, great players who were worth their rare in gold.

There is another tier of VERY good LTs. Richmond Webb, Leon Searcy, Brad Hopkins and Tarik Glenn were drafted 9th, 11th, 13th, and 19th respectfully. All of them were very good/great palyers who stayed with their teams long term, and were instrumental in their success.

Unless I am incorrect, all of these players other than Bosselli appeared in a superbowl. My point is that Left Tackles play a HUGE role in the successs of a team. Taking it a step further, I think that in retrospect, any one of these guys would have been a bargain if they were selected in the top 5; many would be worth the 1st overall selection. What I am driving at is the following:

If the Bills think that there is a LT out there who could end up playing at a level of any of the above, they simply have to draft him. The pick would be a success if he is able to produce at the level of any of the above listed LTs.

If it takes moving up a few spots to get one, perhaps a team would be willing to take one of our under productive head cases, Levy/Jauron specials such as Whitner or Lynch to allow us to do so.

In any event, if they do not solve the Left Tackle problem, they will continue to lose, or so history tells us. Hopefully, now is the time.

Just my $.02.

Bill: completely agree, but I'm almost 100% convinced that the top 3 will be gone by 9. Redskins will take Okung (or perhaps Trent Williams); Cheifs will take Bulaga; Seahawks will take Trent Williams. So the question becomes, do we try to trade UP under your philosophy? I'm not against it but it's not something the Bills usually do, especially if it means Ralph will have to shell out $$ for a top-five draft pick. Assuming that's not an option, what then? Anthony Davis and Bruce Campbell have big bust potential (and actually, I think the Raiders will surprise everyone by taking one of them - probably Campbell - at 8), and then there is a huge drop-off. And if the Bills want Saffold or Brown, they'll likely have to either trade down from 9 (assuming they don't reach), or trade up into the 20s before Indiannapolis and New Orleans pick.

I'm not convinced any of the Top Talent OT's, will be great LT's in the NFL. Are you? The past drafts have had guys that are "Can't miss" type guys, everything I've read shows that Okung will be good not great, and the two that have the potential to be great, lack the work ethic. I want a player who has the work ethic to be great, and studies hard, and appreciates what the game will give him. I don't see that in the top OT's. I see it in round two.

Truly great LTs are generally drafted very early. Players such as Pace, Bosselli, Ogden and Jones were drafted 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th respectively. Obviously, they were standout, great players who were worth their rare in gold.

There is another tier of VERY good LTs. Richmond Webb, Leon Searcy, Brad Hopkins and Tarik Glenn were drafted 9th, 11th, 13th, and 19th respectfully. All of them were very good/great palyers who stayed with their teams long term, and were instrumental in their success.

Unless I am incorrect, all of these players other than Bosselli appeared in a superbowl. My point is that Left Tackles play a HUGE role in the successs of a team. Taking it a step further, I think that in retrospect, any one of these guys would have been a bargain if they were selected in the top 5; many would be worth the 1st overall selection. What I am driving at is the following:

If the Bills think that there is a LT out there who could end up playing at a level of any of the above, they simply have to draft him. The pick would be a success if he is able to produce at the level of any of the above listed LTs.

If it takes moving up a few spots to get one, perhaps a team would be willing to take one of our under productive head cases, Levy/Jauron specials such as Whitner or Lynch to allow us to do so.

In any event, if they do not solve the Left Tackle problem, they will continue to lose, or so history tells us. Hopefully, now is the time.

Just my $.02.

As important as getting an excellent LT is (and it is indeed very important) it doesn't even compare with the importance of getting an excellent QB. And it is on a par with getting an excellen pass rusher. We have all three needs, and have to consider that, rather than focusing in on just an LT.

I'm not convinced any of the Top Talent OT's, will be great LT's in the NFL. Are you? The past drafts have had guys that are "Can't miss" type guys, everything I've read shows that Okung will be good not great, and the two that have the potential to be great, lack the work ethic. I want a player who has the work ethic to be great, and studies hard, and appreciates what the game will give him. I don't see that in the top OT's. I see it in round two.

I agree with you that there are no can't miss guys in the sense that none are guaranteed top 5 LTs. But Okung is, I would argue, a guaranteed top 10 guy. After that, it's all downhill. And those 2nd round guys you're talking about do seem to have the work ethic, work ethic without upper-level talent ... well, it drops you down to level two for a very good reason.

A lot of good points made here. I am scared of Trent Williams early in his senior year some scouts said he could not play LT in the NFL. The funny think is I think Michael Oher is better than most of the LT's in this draft, why did we pass on that guy?

Just my $.02.

Your logic is flawed. Having a probowl, or elite LT is not a requirement for success. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but teams have done well with out one. Just take a look at the last couple of SB rosters. I originally thought the same as you, but after some research I've changed my mind. And there are many questions about this years LT class. I will be pissed if they take one just to fill a hole. Solve the QB issue and all things will sort themselves out. Mark my words.

As important as getting an excellent LT is (and it is indeed very important) it doesn't even compare with the importance of getting an excellent QB. And it is on a par with getting an excellen pass rusher. We have all three needs, and have to consider that, rather than focusing in on just an LT.

Disagree. We have been neglecting the ot position for too long and have probably destroyed the potential of a couple qb's in the process.

Your logic is flawed. Having a probowl, or elite LT is not a requirement for success. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but teams have done well with out one. Just take a look at the last couple of SB rosters. I originally thought the same as you, but after some research I've changed my mind. And there are many questions about this years LT class. I will be pissed if they take one just to fill a hole. Solve the QB issue and all things will sort themselves out. Mark my words.

Out of the eight players picked before the Bills, four or five of them will be OTs. Those dumb GMs, why don't know as much as you?

A lot of good points made here. I am scared of Trent Williams early in his senior year some scouts said he could not play LT in the NFL. The funny think is I think Michael Oher is better than most of the LT's in this draft, why did we pass on that guy?

because they needed a stud loud mouth pass rusher who can't pass rush

Truly great LTs are generally drafted very early.

You can add Joe Thomas (3rd overall) in 2007, Ryan Claddy (12th) in 2008 and D'Brick (4th) in 2006....possibly Long as well, although let's see what he does this year.

You can add Joe Thomas (3rd overall) in 2007, Ryan Claddy (12th) in 2008 and D'Brick (4th) in 2006....possibly Long as well, although let's see what he does this year.

Absolutely. I left them out because although they are all very good, they have not yet had long, distinguished careers. My guess is all 3 oof them will at some point appear in a superbowl; Ferguson came awfully close last season with a rookie quarterback.

Think for a moment.....how many offensive linemen at any position on the Bills in the last 15 years or so did not suck? Peters (and we traded him), Jennings (who he was hurt more often than not), and Ruben Brown? Really, who else?

Hangartner might be good, but last season he lined up between 2 rookies, or a rookie and a stiff. I like Levitre, but not being a doctor I have no idea whether or not Woods will ever come back, or how he will perform if he does. That is the good news.

The Bills do not have a credible OT on the roster. People are yelling for a quarterback, but the premise of putting a top draft pick behind Demetrious Bell or one of the other horror shows on our roster is ridiculous, if not nauseating. We will simply lose if we do so, and the losing will be long term.

The Bills are a team that nobody fears. They are small and weak. They play in the cold with no blocking. This idiocy must end.

I love Bulaga. The biggest knock people have against him is that he went to the same school as Gallery. If Gallery didn't go to Iowa, people would have nothing to say. Additionally, Bulaga just turned 21. Gallery was 24 as a rookie.

A franchise QB trumiphs everything but I have so many doubts about Clausen (if he's there). You can't win on a top 10 pick, especially with a QB. Lately, I've had a vision that Bulaga becomes a pro bowl RT protecting the blindside for Tebow. As for how Tebow does, I have no idea.

True enough. Now name three excellent QBs in this draft.

Just my $.02.

I've got to believe that Bills will select either Brian Bulaga or Anthony Davis. Here are couple of Davis article links...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272306

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing/?bl...&feedID=692

Davis started mid freshman year and has been dominant at his position ever since. His immaturity can be attributed to his being only 20 years old.

He just may end up being the best LT in this draft. Hopefully the Raiders won't select him as the fourth LT off the board.

Just my $.02.

There isn't a tackle like that in this draft. Trade down, get a quality LT (doesn't have to be 'great' or all world...) and get more picks to build this team.

Just my $.02.

I agree and have been pleading to draft a LT since last year when they took Maybin. If the top 3-4 tackles are gone then I think we should take Dan Williams at #9. A great nose tackle is the hardest position to find after QB and LT. Then we should move up into the bottom half of round 1 to take a LT. The other option is to trade our pick #41 for Gaither. Although I am worried about trading that pick for a player Ozzie Newsome doesn't want. He is awesome at identifying talent, so if Gather is on the block you have to wonder why.