If it's Spiller at 9...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A medium RB looks like an all-pro behind a real O-line. See Thomas Jones in 2009. See any back that ever played under Shanny in Denver.

The Bills don't need Spiller no matter how talented he is. He'd be wasted behind their line and without a QB worth a spit.

BTW, Spiller is a stud. Just not the right pick for this team.

What if we select Spiller and then use him as trade bait to another team?

The one caveat I keep reminding myself of is this: the offense has essentially been coached by goons for the past 3-4 years. I suspect that we may have more talent at some of the positions that we are are crying to be upgraded (QB, WR, OL) than we know. I think in addition to looking at areas where we need help and analyzing the BPA, I think you also have to look at how much BETTER is that BPA than the player he could potentially replace on the squad. Also, is that player more natural fit for the new system than the player(s) we have now. If the FO believes that Spiller is the best player available, well suited for the scheme(s) that Gailey wishes to institute -- and is a significant upgrade over Lynch (who they may be moving anyway), why WOULDN'T you be in favor of such a pick?

Everybody knows the Bills need a LT, OLB and a QB among other things. I think drafting for need and not the best player available has been one of their biggest problems for the last 10 years. For instance, if CJ Spiller is available at #9 and the 3rd of 4th best OT is available and the FO feels he's the best player available, I don't see why they wouldn't take him.

Prophetic! Time to load up on linemen!

Hogwash. Spending 3 first round picks on RBs in 8 years is how you build a championship team.

In the 1980s the Bills spent 1st round picks on Greg Bell in 1984, Ronnie Harmon in 1986 & their 1st pick (2nd round) in 1988 on Thurman Thomas. So that was 3 in 5 years. You do it until you get it right.

In the 1980s the Bills spent 1st round picks on Greg Bell in 1984, Ronnie Harmon in 1986 & their 1st pick (2nd round) in 1988 on Thurman Thomas. So that was 3 in 5 years. You do it until you get it right.

My man, thanks for that statement. People don't realize that goes for all positions.