If it's Spiller at 9...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller at 9 would be a very bizarre pick. We have Jackson and Lynch and no offensive tackles, a need for an OLB and DT and DE, and a qb. It would be a change from the past regime...instead of wasting a pick on an excessive number of defensive backs we can begin wasting them on an excessive number of offensive backs.

A medium RB looks like an all-pro behind a real O-line. See Thomas Jones in 2009. See any back that ever played under Shanny in Denver.

The Bills don't need Spiller no matter how talented he is. He'd be wasted behind their line and without a QB worth a spit.

BTW, Spiller is a stud. Just not the right pick for this team.

Spiller at 9 would be a very bizarre pick. We have Jackson and Lynch and no offensive tackles, a need for an OLB and DT and DE, and a qb. It would be a change from the past regime...instead of wasting a pick on an excessive number of defensive backs we can begin wasting them on an excessive number of offensive backs.

I'm assuming Lynch will be gone. Also thinking that Minnesota went this route with AP and found a vet qb a few years later. Of course their defense was light years ahead of ours at that time, but I guess it all depends on where you want to begin.

A medium RB looks like an all-pro behind a real O-line. See Thomas Jones in 2009. See any back that ever played under Shanny in Denver.

The Bills don't need Spiller no matter how talented he is. He'd be wasted behind their line and without a QB worth a spit.

+1

South Jersey...what makes you think Lynch will be gone? He has sh-tty trade value and is under contract for 3 more years...he's not going anywhere...

I hope you're right.

South Jersey...what makes you think Lynch will be gone? He has sh-tty trade value and is under contract for 3 more years...he's not going anywhere...

totally agree - Lynch isn't going anywhere for now- the value is zero and but the potential is very high and he's under contract for three years. No need to dump him

If Spiller is an elite talent, why not take him now? Jackson isn't getting any younger, and if we don't address RB, it will be a need next year. If he is the BPA at #9, take him. While it is true that a good line makes a avg RB look good, the opposite is true. CJ made Tennessee a contender, almost on his own.

Their pass defense was horrific, and he allowed VY to flourish. You had to account for him, both running and receiving, and that allowed their below avg WR to make plays.

I think if he's there, you have to take Spiller....glad my job doesn't depend on it though!!

I think the rest of the picks should be used on the lines. QB would have to wait until next year and the other skill positions would have to be filled via free agency. If we use the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" philosophy, we ought to hit on at least 2 or 3 of picks 2-7.

I wouldn't be upset if we come away from this years draft with Spiller, Tebow ( first and second respectively ) trade next years 2nd for Gaither , pick up a 2nd or early 3rd for Lynch, and draft a DT.

My view is you take the best player on the board (or trade down) and don't reach.

Suppose the Bills have Spiller as a top five talent and only have Clausen (or whoever else you want them to pick at that spot) as a late first round or second round pick on their board, why would they ever pick Clausen (or whatever player) at number nine.

I have confidence that this group is not going to reach like the other guys. They will either trade back or stay true to the board.

In the end, if they do that and the pick happens to be Spiller (or whoever else), I will not have a problem.

I wouldn't be upset if we come away from this years draft with Spiller, Tebow ( first and second respectively ) trade next years 2nd for Gaither , pick up a 2nd or early 3rd for Lynch, and draft a DT.

If the Bills draft Spiller and Tebow (which, I actually think they MIGHT as well)...then this board implodes.

No ifs, ands or buts...The Wall shuts down.

I'll be honest, I hate taking RB's in the first round. I think they're too easy to find......

HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however....this team has nobody on offense that scares anybody. Nobody on defense that scares anybody. If we have a chance to get a game changing, explosive playmaker, we need to take him whether it's a LB, RB, DE, QB or whatever.

And I have talked to someone who scouts for an NFL team, and he said Spiller is extremely fast, but it's his short area quickness that makes him such a lights out prospect.

If Spiller is an elite talent, why not take him now? Jackson isn't getting any younger, and if we don't address RB, it will be a need next year. If he is the BPA at #9, take him. While it is true that a good line makes a avg RB look good, the opposite is true. CJ made Tennessee a contender, almost on his own.

Their pass defense was horrific, and he allowed VY to flourish. You had to account for him, both running and receiving, and that allowed their below avg WR to make plays.

I think if he's there, you have to take Spiller....glad my job doesn't depend on it though!!

As has already been said, RBs are (1) disposable (ie, short lifespan in the NFL) and (2) useless behind a bad O-line. Hell, it took Barry Sanders absurd skill to even put up decent numbers in Detroit. Spiller is no Sanders.

The Bills need a long term investment (OT preferably, DE/NT less preferably, or even QB). RB is not a position of need and RBs are completely fungible. Not many teams ever sucked solely because of a bad RB. Lots of teams suck because of a bad QB or terrible line.

HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however....this team has nobody on offense that scares anybody. Nobody on defense that scares anybody. If we have a chance to get a game changing, explosive playmaker, we need to take him whether it's a LB, RB, DE, QB or whatever.

And I have talked to someone who scouts for an NFL team, and he said Spiller is extremely fast, but it's his short area quickness that makes him such a lights out prospect.

That's all well & good, but this team's glaring need is the OL. I just can't see why they wouldn't want to take a tackle in round 1.

Who makes this team better tomorrow? Chris Johnson or Max Starks?

Just because a tackle is taken in the first round doesn't mean he is going to evolve into Walter Jones. In fact, by all accounts, all of the tackles at the top end of the draft have various flaws. Many people think Spiller is a gamebreaker.

So, I'm all for picking at position of need, but only within reason.

That's all well & good, but this team's glaring need is the OL. I just can't see why they wouldn't want to take a tackle in round 1.

I agree, but, if the ones that they have graded as deserving to be picked at the top of the draft are gone, why would we reach?

Hogwash. Spending 3 first round picks on RBs in 8 years is how you build a championship team.