If it's Spiller at 9...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody knows the Bills need a LT, OLB and a QB among other things. I think drafting for need and not the best player available has been one of their biggest problems for the last 10 years. For instance, if CJ Spiller is available at #9 and the 3rd of 4th best OT is available and the FO feels he's the best player available, I don't see why they wouldn't take him.

Everybody knows the Bills need a LT, OLB and a QB among other things. I think drafting for need and not the best player available has been one of their biggest problems for the last 10 years. For instance, if CJ Spiller is available at #9 and the 3rd of 4th best OT is available and the FO feels he's the best player available, I don't see why they wouldn't take him.

Exactly. Don't reach. At number 9, they need to pick the most talented buy on their board or try to trade down. There is no point in picking a guy at 9 to "fill" a "need" if it is a reach. This team has so many needs, it should not even be a problem in any event. Nevertheless, the best way to increase the talent on this roster is by picking the most talented guys on the board.

I am pretty confident that Buddy and his team will follow this approach and stick to their board.

Spiller at 9 would be a very bizarre pick. We have Jackson and Lynch and no offensive tackles, a need for an OLB and DT and DE, and a qb. It would be a change from the past regime...instead of wasting a pick on an excessive number of defensive backs we can begin wasting them on an excessive number of offensive backs.

What tennesseeboy just said.

Disagree totally. Like you said Spiller is a stud. He wouldn't be wasted behind the Bills line because a guy like Spiller can score from anywhere on the field at any time without great blocking. He's quick, fast and explosive. He can catch well. He can be split out at WR. He can return punts and kicks. He even runs between the tackles. The Bills don't have a player like him on offense outside of Lee and Lee needs a QB with an arm to make an impact. Spiller just needs a hand off, a pitch or a screen pass. Any QB on their roster can throw a screen pass or a five yard slant.

Can we say Marshall Faulk like?

Lynch is a "premiere talent" that wasn't used to his ability by a coaching staff that thought we could run a no-huddle offense with a patchwork line.

...and with the OL still not fixed, it is foolish to believe things would be any different with Spiller. He's not going to be a 'gamebreaker' in the NFL behind a crappy OL.

This team needs to fix the OL and front 7 before they worry about anything else.

I think the rest of the picks should be used on the lines. QB would have to wait until next year and the other skill positions would have to be filled via free agency. If we use the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" philosophy, we ought to hit on at least 2 or 3 of picks 2-7.

At some point let's hope the Bills learn to not put the cart before the horse.

Some teams can get away with drafting RB's in the first round. They draft better in subsequent rounds, they coach better, they handle free agency better, they have stability at QB or are good at finding and developing QB's.................

The Bills kinda' suck at these aspects of team building.

They need to get stronger at the LOS and get a QB before they should worry about drafting a rb who they can't block for. McGahee and Lynch aren't fresh enough examples? And the truth is, you can get RB's anywhere in the draft and a good line can make a 6th rounder like Fast Willie Parker look like an elite back. That's a time tested and proven fact.

...and with the OL still not fixed, it is foolish to believe things would be any different with Spiller. He's not going to be a 'gamebreaker' in the NFL behind a crappy OL.

This team needs to fix the OL and front 7 before they worry about anything else.

There's no reason the line can't be fixed in rounds 2,3,4 especially if we get an extra pick for lynch. The idea that only a 1st round pick is going to save the line is silly. By pick 9, chances are there will be no game changing linemen left. Spiller is. Take him if we can.

There's no reason the line can't be fixed in rounds 2,3,4 especially if we get an extra pick for lynch. The idea that only a 1st round pick is going to save the line is silly. By pick 9, chances are there will be no game changing linemen left. Spiller is. Take him if we can.

Yeah, let's just field a team of running backs...

A medium RB looks like an all-pro behind a real O-line. See Thomas Jones in 2009. See any back that ever played under Shanny in Denver.

The Bills don't need Spiller no matter how talented he is. He'd be wasted behind their line and without a QB worth a spit.

BTW, Spiller is a stud. Just not the right pick for this team.

Go to Buffalobills.com and watch the draft luncheon. Nix doesn't agree with you about having a LT.

At some point let's hope the Bills learn to not put the cart before the horse.

Some teams can get away with drafting RB's in the first round. They draft better in subsequent rounds, they coach better, they handle free agency better, they have stability at QB or are good at finding and developing QB's.................

The Bills kinda' suck at these aspects of team building.

They need to get stronger at the LOS and get a QB before they should worry about drafting a rb who they can't block for. McGahee and Lynch aren't fresh enough examples? And the truth is, you can get RB's anywhere in the draft and a good line can make a 6th rounder like Fast Willie Parker look like an elite back. That's a time tested and proven fact.

McGahee and Lynch don't have nearly the explosion of Spiller. Not even close. Linemen can be found. They don't have to be taken high in the draft. I would rather have Spiller or McClain or Morgan, who are the best at their position than take the 4th or 5th best LT. They need impact at number 9. Period.

Yeah, let's just field a team of running backs...

The inability to read a post seems to have effected your comment. The Bills could draft a solid line from picks 2,3 and 4. And if they trade Lynch, that leaves us 1 journeymen back over 30. Yeah, that will be exciting football. I don't want to watch anymore 6-3 games like we played against the browns. Get somebody who can score points.

The inability to read a post seems to have effected your comment. The Bills could draft a solid line from picks 2,3 and 4. And if they trade Lynch, that leaves us 1 journeymen back over 30. Yeah, that will be exciting football. I don't want to watch anymore 6-3 games like we played against the browns. Get somebody who can score points.

Actually, dickhead, I read - and comprehended - your post just fine. It's just that your desire to see someone with flash is negated by the desire of the rest of the rational fans to win games, and you don't win games without winning in the trenches. We shouldn't have drafted McGahee is the first round, we shouldn't have drafted Lynch in the first round, and having two very good RB's in the backfield and a pourous offensive and defensive line, we sure as **** don't need to be drafting Spiller in the first round. Maybe it works in Madden but in real life football the lines are the most important (besides QB - that's a different argument, and all are more important than the RB anyway.) "Linemen can be found"...yet they haven't been. Not good ones at least. And not by this team. RB is the only hole we don't have on offense, yet people keep clamoring to fill it and justify doing so by trading away some of our other talent at the position for a mere fourth round draft pick (where I'm sure we'll just stumble upon another one of those lineman that are "found" there). Priceless.

Spiller at 9 would be a very bizarre pick. We have Jackson and Lynch and no offensive tackles, a need for an OLB and DT and DE, and a qb. It would be a change from the past regime...instead of wasting a pick on an excessive number of defensive backs we can begin wasting them on an excessive number of offensive backs.
You forgot to mention the dire need for a premier WR opposite Lee Evans.

Now that the Bills have Randy Moss-Wes Welker / Santonio Holms / Braylen Edwards / Tedd Gin Jr - Brandon Marshall ...all in the division. Its a good thing the Bills have so many good players in the secondary.

If Claussen or one of the top rated tackles aren't available at #9 then Spiller has got to be right at the top of the draft board. I'm convinced, he's going to be a very dangerous RB in the NFL, and he'll add something to our offense that we havn't had in a very long time, which is the ability to rip one off at any time.

Picking Spiller at #9 would surprise me but I won't say it would shock me. Jackson is getting old and Marshawn is one stupid decision away from a permanent vacation. Spiller is the type of player that scares the **** out of DC's. Unreal speed, vision, quick cuts, no way to cover him with an LB etc...

Spiller has great patience (ala Thurman) and unreal speed. The kid ran past the DB's in the best conference in football. In most cases it wasn't even close. Gailey has mentioned his desire for a "scat" back for this offense. Make no mistake, Spiller is not a bigger Roscoe, if you get this kid the ball on a flare or in any space past the OL then he's is 6 points waiting to happen. Spiller makes your OL instantly better. Marshawn has power but zero vision.

If they do pick Spiller I have confidence that Gailey will find ways to get him the ball and he'll have a MONSTER rookie year.