If it's Spiller at 9...

My view is you take the best player on the board (or trade down) and don't reach.

Suppose the Bills have Spiller as a top five talent and only have Clausen (or whoever else you want them to pick at that spot) as a late first round or second round pick on their board, why would they ever pick Clausen (or whatever player) at number nine.

I have confidence that this group is not going to reach like the other guys. They will either trade back or stay true to the board.

In the end, if they do that and the pick happens to be Spiller (or whoever else), I will not have a problem.

+1

I think the concern will be for Chan/Buddy that if the player is not worthy of the selection (McCargo, Losman). And I think there will be more pressure from the media/fans if the position is not one of the highest perceived need.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the top three tackles are gone..and Clausen is gone (Suh and Stafford and probably Berry being certain to be three others in the mix before us.) we have a LOT of first rate picks in areas of need left. Dan Williams at DE...McLain at Linebacker...McCoy at DT. Maybe even Campbell at OT. Spiller is still a pretty bizarre pick. If I were to bet the top player available to us at nine I'd suggest it might be Eric Berry who is the best by far player at his position since Ed Reed. HOWEVER...if he is available and with our needs...I'd pass on him. Spiller isn't even close to dominating his position like Berry was at safety.

I'm assuming Lynch will be gone. Also thinking that Minnesota went this route with AP and found a vet qb a few years later. Of course their defense was light years ahead of ours at that time, but I guess it all depends on where you want to begin.

Minnessota had an all pro at left tackle (Bryant McKinney...the guy we passed up when we took Mike Williams) and a not too bad offensive line. Peterson was a premier running back in a way that Spiller isn't even in his league. (Think Marcus Allen, LT, OJ Simpson good). No...spiller would be a bad choice, although he will be a good running back for someone. We have so many pressing needs to address.

These Spiller threads remind me an awful lot of all the "let's get Lynch, he's a premier talent" threads before the 2007 draft.

There were also those who thought that he was a reach.

totally agree - Lynch isn't going anywhere for now- the value is zero and but the potential is very high and he's under contract for three years. No need to dump him

Pat Moran seems to KNOW Lynch is a goner. We shall see

I think the rest of the picks should be used on the lines. QB would have to wait until next year and the other skill positions would have to be filled via free agency. If we use the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" philosophy, we ought to hit on at least 2 or 3 of picks 2-7.

agreed. they should be draft at least three o line man either way

If the Bills draft Spiller and Tebow (which, I actually think they MIGHT as well)...then this board implodes.

No ifs, ands or buts...The Wall shuts down.

:ph34r: LMAO

So true. People might seriously go awol, or honestly have a heart attack.

Seriously, they may...

I think if the Bills end up trading Lynch for a 2nd rounder, and one of the top 3 tackles are off the board, I think the Bills will draft Spiller at 9. Then concentrate on getting their Tackle in the beginning of the second round or the possibility of trading back in to the first round to get their tackles if necessary. I like Charles Brown, I think he will turn out to be a solid LT in the NFL.

I think the rest of the picks should be used on the lines. QB would have to wait until next year and the other skill positions would have to be filled via free agency. If we use the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" philosophy, we ought to hit on at least 2 or 3 of picks 2-7.

Spiller at 9 would be followed by a trade of Lynch for hopefully a second rounder to someone like Sea. I would be ok with this, espescially with the depth in this draft. We are not going QB at #9 regardless IMO.

The other factor is this...The extra pick from trading Lynch may be one we use to acquire Campbell or Vick. If we got a 2nd for Lynch, the FO may turn around and trade a 2nd or 3rd to Was for Campbell.

Personally, I would prefer to keep our picks and build our lines too and see if Brohm can win the job and show us he can be the guy before we go after another QB. I think Vick and Campbell could both be intriguing under Gailey though, so I wouldnt be pissed if we acquired one of those two.

Spiller at 9 would be followed by a trade of Lynch for hopefully a second rounder to someone like Sea. I would be ok with this, espescially with the depth in this draft. We are not going QB at #9 regardless IMO.

The other factor is this...The extra pick from trading Lynch may be one we use to acquire Campbell or Vick. If we got a 2nd for Lynch, the FO may turn around and trade a 2nd or 3rd to Was for Campbell.

Personally, I would prefer to keep our picks and build our lines too and see if Brohm can win the job and show us he can be the guy before we go after another QB. I think Vick and Campbell could both be intriguing under Gailey though, so I wouldnt be pissed if we acquired one of those two.

If we traded a 2nd rounder to Washington for campbell, I would cry.

A medium RB looks like an all-pro behind a real O-line. See Thomas Jones in 2009. See any back that ever played under Shanny in Denver.

The Bills don't need Spiller no matter how talented he is. He'd be wasted behind their line and without a QB worth a spit.

BTW, Spiller is a stud. Just not the right pick for this team.

Disagree totally. Like you said Spiller is a stud. He wouldn't be wasted behind the Bills line because a guy like Spiller can score from anywhere on the field at any time without great blocking. He's quick, fast and explosive. He can catch well. He can be split out at WR. He can return punts and kicks. He even runs between the tackles. The Bills don't have a player like him on offense outside of Lee and Lee needs a QB with an arm to make an impact. Spiller just needs a hand off, a pitch or a screen pass. Any QB on their roster can throw a screen pass or a five yard slant.

No. Campbell won't go for anything in the top three because the Redskins have no leverage. I would be surprised if they keep him around at his salary to ride the bench. And they need picks. That extra 2nd rounder could be a scat back depending on what they do at 9. Or that extra 2nd could be a nose tackle or OLB. Or that extra 2nd could be packaged with their original 2nd rounder to get into the 1st round to grab a LT, NT or QB.

No. Campbell won't go for anything in the top three because the Redskins have no leverage. I would be surprised if they keep him around at his salary to ride the bench. And they need picks. That extra 2nd rounder could be a scat back depending on what they do at 9. Or that extra 2nd could be a nose tackle or OLB. Or that extra 2nd could be packaged with their original 2nd rounder to get into the 1st round to grab a LT, NT or QB.

I was basing that on Buffalos speculated interest in Campbell and Was speculated asking price for Campbell...If you read what I wrote, I said a 2nd or 3rd...There is no way that Was moves Campbell for anything less than a third. Snyder doesnt care how much he is making as a backup, especially given Was is clearly pushing for a major run right now and having a proven and experienced backup like Campbell in their system isnt the worse thing for them.

Just like we most likely wont give Lynch away for a low pick because he still has more value to the team than that really low pick.

I would think that I've been put into Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine and dropped off in 2003...

Or 2007.

But hey, if they draft Spiller the Bills can wait until 2013 before needing to draft another RB in the 1st round. :lol: