Rapelisberger could still be suspended

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea if he is guilty or not (and frankly I don't care) ... and neither do you.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Or did I miss the part about that not being the case for famous people.

A person's reputation is not subject to the innocent until proven guilty line. This is not a criminal court.

he should demand his penalty IMMEDIATELY....(probably 4 games)

the longer this takes, the more damaging info keeps coming out......he is approaching Pac Man territory of 1 year.

The stuff that's coming out about Small Ben makes that "expose" of Lynch by the Buffalo Snooze look like a joke. How sad.

Or maybe she decided to cut her losses when she figured out she wouldnt get any money out of Ben, or decided she didnt want to be charged with Purgery.

Face it, after the first completely bogus charge, Big Ben became a huge target for other scum bag gold diggers.

I remember the Duke lacrosse team was crucified before anyone wanted to think that maybe, just maybe, they didnt do it!

An evil plot by a 20 year old

The guy is a primate that deserves everything the commissioner will throw at him. He is LUCKY he is escaping without charges.

I'm still confused as to why people think he could be, or should be, punished by the commish.

Is he a scumbag? Maybe, don't know.

Did he rape any or all of these girls? Maybe, don't know.

Is he brain damaged for continuing to put himself in these situations? Definitely.

But you simply cannot punish someone because maybe they did something wrong. No matter how disgusting the thing he may have done wrong is.

Some choose to believe the accusers. Some choose to believe the accused. I choose to wait and let the court decide. It's the only thing that makes any sense to me. Imagine what this society would function like if every accusation was considered as fact immediately. If it does not make it to court (and yes, paying off the accuser if the act actually happened sucks in a situation like this) you have to treat that as if nothing happened. It is very simple. It really is.

I'm still confused as to why people think he could be, or should be, punished by the commish.

Is he brain damaged for continuing to put himself in these situations? Definitely.

But you simply cannot punish someone because maybe they did something wrong. No matter how disgusting the thing he may have done wrong is.

Some choose to believe the accusers. Some choose to believe the accused. I choose to wait and let the court decide. It's the only thing that makes any sense to me. Imagine what this society would function like if every accusation was considered as fact immediately. If it does not make it to court (and yes, paying off the accuser if the act actually happened sucks in a situation like this) you have to treat that as if nothing happened. It is very simple. It really is.

Courts have a role in society.

Shame has a role too.

Unfortunately when a sports hero is involved, the shame gets redirected to a 20 year old girl who was first isolated by a bodyguard and then trapped by a scum bag who has been documented using the exact same MO in the past. This redirection of shame is done so ESPN can keep making money.

Courts should not be able to convict if there is a reasonable doubt. Shame is not a legal conviction, but a societal one.

The NFL gets to decide whether Ben takes the shame or the NFL will take it for him. The shame itself should not go away through our complicity.

Did you hear or read the police report... Graphic stuff dude, I dont have a link but i have heard some of the stuff reported. You and I would both be fired on the spot if we were at a public company, and had 2 events in teh same manner as these. Why should he be treated any different?

A refresher on the Personal Conduct Policy, for those who didn't memorize it during our conversations about Marshawn:

It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful.

Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime.

For some insight into Goodell's thought process (and a shameless plug):

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=67753

Did you hear or read the police report... Graphic stuff dude, I dont have a link but i have heard some of the stuff reported. You and I would both be fired on the spot if we were at a public company, and had 2 events in teh same manner as these. Why should he be treated any different?

I would not be fired for simply being charged of a crime. I doubt you would either.

Unless it was a crime against humanity like becoming a cheatriats fan. Then I would of course deserve it.

A refresher on the Personal Conduct Policy, for those who didn't memorize it during our conversations about Marshawn:

For some insight into Goodell's thought process (and a shameless plug):

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=67753

Wow! That's even more open ended than the patriot act!!! So basically it is up to the whim of the commish. Nice.

promotes the values upon which the League is based

How does making money (which is the main value upon which the NFL is based) apply here? :nana:

How does making money (which is the main value upon which the NFL is based) apply here? :nana:

That answer should be obvious: It gets harder to promote the league when one of its superstars is behaving badly. How many advertisers will still want to do business with Roethlisberger?

the only thing that you must agree with is that he is guilty of having the continuing misfortune of constantly providing "bad press". after a while people will start to wonder. and now there is a third accusation? maybe they are all just gold digging and if that is the case wouldn't he try to avoid those scenarios? can't he see this for himself? i don't know what happened with these women and neither does anyone else on this board. i hope the truth does come out some how. anyway i read about this latest development on the usa today site and just had to include this parody that a reader responded with:

"BR...stalking the night clubs for victims.......Animal Planet should do a show on him....The croc hunter :Crikey There e is......a monster....the biggest bi-pedal predator to walk the earth.......and look at his beady shifty eyes....those allow em to survey the plains of the niteclub serengeti.....I would like to capture em...but e is too big and could quite possibly rape me.....is type are known for their hyper-sexuality.....but fortunately for me I'm not inebriated.....the inebriated are the most vulnerable and they are the favorite target for this massive beast....usually they work in packs to corral the victims..and like any other pack ...the alpha male dines first..crikey e's got one.....a little drunk female.........I'll shut off the cameras as it is too horrific a sight to see..."

i must admit shame for laughing at this because the accusations are anything but!

That answer should be obvious: It gets harder to promote the league when one of its superstars is behaving badly. How many advertisers will still want to do business with Roethlisberger?

With him directly? Probably most but I imagine some would back off.

With the NFL? All advertisers would stay of course. Remember the Vick stuff at the beginning of last season? All of the "not on my team" stuff you read. Remember people thinking advertisers would drop off etc. Did it adversely affect anything? Not in the least little bit as far as I can tell. And Vick was convicted, not just accused. You honestly believe one player on one team in the NFL is going to be able to stop advertisers from wanting to reach out to all those couch potatoes watching the NFL Sunday afternoons and Monday nights? Not on your life.

And even if by some quirk in the universe the people would stop watching games because of this, and advertisers dropped out in droves and the TV contracts dried up, do you think suspending said scumbag player for a couple games would change that? That is not the world we live in.

I would not be fired for simply being charged of a crime. I doubt you would either.

Unless it was a crime against humanity like becoming a cheatriats fan. Then I would of course deserve it.

Wow! That's even more open ended than the patriot act!!! So basically it is up to the whim of the commish. Nice.

If i heard correctly but i may be mistaken, Are the Steelers going to be fined, i though i heard that on the radio. If thats the case and he is costing his employer $$$ based on his actions, he should get suspended.

Anyone should be fired for that. We should get a chainsaw and self annex the state of Mass altogether.

Another thing that seems intriguing is that Ben never came out with a convincing i did not do this statement.

Where were you when Lynch was getting suspended, which was "up to the whim" of Sir Roger?

If i heard correctly but i may be mistaken, Are the Steelers going to be fined, i though i heard that on the radio. If thats the case and he is costing his employer $$$ based on his actions, he should get suspended.

This is getting out of hand.

A rumor about a team getting fined for something one of its players was accused (not convicted) of.

:nana:

This is getting out of hand.

A rumor about a team getting fined for something one of its players was accused (not convicted) of.

:nana:

That's no rumor: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5098560

Just as quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be held accountable for his actions, so will the Pittsburgh Steelers.

If (and when) Roethlisberger is punished, the franchise is facing a fine upwards of six figures -- possibly in the neighborhood of $200,000 -- for the behavior of Roethlisberger and former Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes, according to a league source.

Two seasons ago, when the NFL implemented its personal conduct policy, it also mandated that teams would be responsible for their players' off-the-field transgressions. If any player ran afoul of the policy's personal conduct guidelines, a team also would be accountable.

Call it the "Bengals" rule, because they were the ones getting in trouble all the time when the NFL revamped the policy.

That's no rumor: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5098560

Call it the "Bengals" rule, because they were the ones getting in trouble all the time when the NFL revamped the policy.

Wild, and a bit insane in my opinion, stuff!

This can't be legal, can it? I understand convicted, but just accused?

What if this weekend a girl goes to his front door selling magazine subscriptions then files a police report that he raped her (assume for arguments sake that he did not). What then, suspended for the season and the Steelers fined a million dollars? Lunacy.

Wild, and a bit insane in my opinion, stuff!

This can't be legal, can it? I understand convicted, but just accused?

What if this weekend a girl goes to his front door selling magazine subscriptions then files a police report that he raped her (assume for arguments sake that he did not). What then, suspended for the season and the Steelers fined a million dollars? Lunacy.

You do understand there is a difference between a private operation and a public operation correct?

Yes of course. But even in privately held businesses there are laws protecting employees.

The Personal Conduct Policy is part of every NFL player contract. Just like I can get fired for using a cellphone inside our factory -- which isn't a crime in any state, far as I know -- league management can set its own rules for its employees.

The NFL's security department is headed by a former director of the FBI's forensic laboratory and includes the onetime head of the Pa. State Police. They'll conduct their own investigation, and if they hand out a multigame suspension or six-figure fine, it probably won't be on Goodell's "whim."

Yes of course. But even in privately held businesses there are laws protecting employees.

Protecting employees from what? From being disciplined for dragging the comany's name through the mud by accosting young women by repeatedly using bodygurds to isolate them so the employee can rape them? I doubt it.

And before you start in with the CRAP about benefit of the doubt, how about two totally unrelated people using the exact same story on how this creep victimizes his prey? Do they get any benefit of the doubt or should they be satisfied with a lifetime of wonderful memories of their encounter with a football star?

If Ben doesn't like his employers rules maybe he can get a job somwhere else where his qualifications are useful. Maybe like a storefront in Thailand.

The NFL's security department is headed by a former director of the FBI's forensic laboratory and includes the onetime head of the Pa. State Police. They'll conduct their own investigation, and if they hand out a multigame suspension or six-figure fine, it probably won't be on Goodell's "whim."

If an investigation on the up and up is done and they find evidence that he did what these girls said, then certainly. At that point it is much more than just accusations.

Protecting employees from what? From being disciplined for dragging the comany's name through the mud by accosting young women by repeatedly using bodygurds to isolate them so the employee can rape them? I doubt it.

Obviously the whole concept of accused versus proven is lost on you.

Looks like Ben's going to have a whole new set of body guards that will answer to the Rooney's.

Wanted: babysitter for 28-year-old multimillionaire NFL quarterback.

Lynch was convicted. Not to mention caught in the act.

Lynch's act was not nearly as reprehensible as Roethlisberger's. Lynch isn't the brightest of guys, I get that, but the matter of intentionally assaulting a drunk college student, which in and of itself presents multiple immoral components (intent, assault, the fact that it was a naive, drunk college girl), is far more serious.

If an investigation on the up and up is done and they find evidence that he did what these girls said, then certainly. At that point it is much more than just accusations.

Actually, no, but this is way beyond the accusation stage. With details trickling out it's pretty difficult not to be appalled at what's being leaked.

Most of us aren't naive enough to think that athletes don't get special privileges in cases like these. You must have been psyched when OJ was freed so he could find the real killer.

Actually, no, but this is way beyond the accusation stage. With details trickling out it's pretty difficult not to be appalled at what's being leaked.

Most of us aren't naive enough to think that athletes don't get special privileges in vases like these. You must have been psyched when OJ was freed so he could find the real killer.

Yes details ... trickling you say .... out is certainly proof of guilt. I stand corrected.

The whole concept of the NFL not needing to prove anything is obviously lost on you.

And you're already nervous that the NFL's investigation will not be on the up and up? These poor rapists nowadays. Not only to chicks dress up like sluts and drink and beg for it, now the employers have to get into the act of rigging the investigations.