I'm sold on who the Bills Draft at #9

I previously wanted the Bills to draft O line and LT with that #9, have since changed my mind.

Finally got some time to watch the NFL network "Path to the Draft" on Jimmy Clausens pro day.

Mike Mayock-Michael Lombardi- Bucky Brooks-Charles Davis all stated the kid is a top ten pick and has every ability needed to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Mike Mayock- stated the kid has phenomenal accuracy and deep touch. This with his foot at 85% as he is still recovering from an injury.

Michael Lombardi- stated-his work out was "exceptional", he looked better then Mark Sanchez did last year in his workout.

Charles Davis- stated considering he played all year on a bad foot and still put up very good numbers, very tough kid! Still doing his pro day workout with a foot at 85%.

Charlie Casserly Good workout with a lot of deep throws and very good ball speed. Better ball speed the Sam Bradford. Also stated although Chan Gailey wasn't in attendance for his pro day, Buddy Nix was.

Buckey Brooks- stated his talent is amazing, can make all the throws, good footwork.

Casserly-(Bradford or Clausen) Played in a "pro style" passing offense and called protections at the line, much more under center and called audibles. Better ball spin then Sam Bradford. 5 career 4th QTR comebacks at ND. The team was ranked over 100 when he got to ND and put them in the top ten.

Last seasons numbers 68.0 comp %, 3,722 YDS, 28 TD,4 INT

All these analysts did was rave about how well his pro day went

Lets face it, like him ...or hate him... he is a franchise QB and the Bills should draft him if he is there.

The kid is supposed to have an attitude and be "cocky". I say good... he will need that attitude if he comes to Buffalo

**** Just FYI, Path to the Draft on Monday the 12th, they will put the Bills on the clock and discuss the teams needs****

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I previously wanted the Bills to draft O line and LT with that #9, have since changed my mind.

Finally got some time to watch the NFL network "Path to the Draft" on Jimmy Clausens pro day.

Mike Mayock-Michael Lombardi- Bucky Brooks-Charles Davis all stated the kid is a top ten pick and has every ability needed to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Mike Mayock- stated the kid has phenomenal accuracy and deep touch. This with his foot at 85% as he is still recovering from an injury.

Michael Lombardi- stated-his work out was "exceptional", he looked better then Mark Sanchez did last year in his workout.

Charles Davis- stated considering he played all year on a bad foot and still put up very good numbers, very tough kid! Still doing his pro day workout with a foot at 85%.

Charlie Casserly Good workout with a lot of deep throws and very good ball speed. Better ball speed the Sam Bradford. Also stated although Chan Gailey wasn't in attendance for his pro day, Buddy Nix was.

Buckey Brooks- stated his talent is amazing, can make all the throws, good footwork.

Casserly-(Bradford or Clausen) Played in a "pro style" passing offense and called protections at the line, much more under center and called audibles. Better ball spin then Sam Bradford. 5 career 4th QTR comebacks at ND. The team was ranked over 100 when he got to ND and put them in the top ten.

Lets face it, like him ...or hate him... he is a franchise QB and the Bills should draft him if he is there.

The kid is supposed to have an attitude and be "cocky". I say good... he will need that attitude if he comes to Buffalo

**** Just FYI, Path to the Draft on Monday the 12th, they will put the Bills on the clock and discuss the teams needs****

I hope that the Bills go with OT all #9 instead of QB. IMO we need to start rebuilding in the trenches.

I really believe that Clausen will be gone before the Bills pick at #9. Either Cleveland takes

him, he ends up with Oakland or another team trades up to get him. It's not a QB rich draft

and he'll end up filling a teams need rather than being best available player.

Yes, because every great team gets there offensive line in order before finding a QB. It's so easy to find a franchise QB, so lets just wait for the next opportunity as they are always going to be there. Wow!

Well look at what Parcells did two years ago. He took Long over Ryan cause the smart ones know if you can't keep your QB upright then it doesn't matter who is back there.

Well look at what Parcells did two years ago. He took Long over Ryan cause the smart ones know if you can't keep your QB upright then it doesn't matter who is back there.

It is not either-or. You need both. And the plain fact is that good lineman are easier to find than good quarterbacks. So if you have an opportunity to get a QB, you take it. Buddy said it best, the teams that have a good QB are winning and the ones that don't, aren't. Once in a blue a team is so good elsewhere that all they need is a caretaker QB but that is rare indeed.

This is why it is so frustrating to lose good players, you just end up with too many holes to fill. I like Clausen and though I think the odds are long that he will still be there when we are on the clock, if he is I'll have no problem taking him. I could live with the team thinking that he isn't the guy just as well but in my view, they'd be pulling another Oher if they were lucky enough for Clausen to still be there at 9 and then pass on him. If Clausen is there, it will likely be because another OT was taken instead ahead of us. I can't see using the 9th pick in the draft for the 4th or 5th best OT with the second best, maybe even the best QB in the draft still on the board.

If we pass on Clausen it would be on the level, perhaps when the NY Jets passed on Dan Marino and allowed the Dolphins to get him at the bottom of the first round and we know how he did. I say draft the cocky kid that is NFL ready and get our OL later this year and next. We have so many holes to fill and QB is always the toughest to find anyway.

yup, and the falcons took ryan, came back in the 2nd and hit on Sam Baker OT USC, 2 yrs later both teams are 1-1 for playoff berths,

it can be done both ways

IMO, we should go with clausen, and come back in the 2nd for a OT

You have to ask where are we best served. With a top 10 Quarterback and a top 20-25 Left Tackle, OR a top 10 LT and a top 20-25 QB. I'll go with top 10 QB. That guy on his own can squeak out an extra win or two a year. To do it right we'll sit Clausen for a half year, then let him get his reps behind a O line that's starting to jell with that rookie top 20-25 LT. Yup we'll suck next year too. But then we'll get a top 15 pick and focus on the defense. Then we'll in the mix for a playoff spot.

That said, I just want a draft where I don't yell, " What the ....... " and feel the need to throw things at the TV and then have to take a angry nap. If they draft a RB or DB, I'll need to go TV shopping again, probably in my pajamas.

yup, and the falcons took ryan, came back in the 2nd and hit on Sam Baker OT USC, 2 yrs later both teams are 1-1 for playoff berths,

it can be done both ways

Good post.

I know one thing, I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Bills war room if Clausen is on the board at 9.

But I think he will go to either Seattle or Cleveland.

Secondly, you have to sign the guy you draft and at #9 the Bills will be forced to pay to draft Clausen. Does anybody know how his agent is?? I think that is a factor that alot of people don't think about but it can factor into the equation.

Being a ex-college lineman,I hope the go either OL or NT. Go Big early.

The "smart ones" not including Bill Polian, I guess. Polian has, at all three stops as a GM, built excellent teams. And at every single stop, he has bowed to the wisdom of "The Golden Rule of the Draft," which says that you NEVER pass up on a franchise QB unless you already have one on the roster. The Bills had Kelly, so he was able to go in other directions, but at his next two stops, Carolina and Indy, he picked a QB with his first draft choice.

And how do you know that Parcells didn't just (wrongly, it looks like so far) think that Ryan wasn't going to be a franchise guy? You don't.

it can be done both ways

Which team looks better in the long run?

Anyone got tremendous confidence in Henne? If given the choice of taking the Falcons roster or the Dolphins, I'd take the Falcons in a second, because they have Matt Ryan.

I really believe that Clausen will be gone before the Bills pick at #9. Either Cleveland takes

him, he ends up with Oakland or another team trades up to get him. It's not a QB rich draft

and he'll end up filling a teams need rather than being best available player.

I'm afraid you're right.

I've been backing Clausen for months now, far before it was particularly popular. And while the Eagles cleared the way of one team, I still think there's a better than 50% chance that he's gone before we pick.

It seems to me that the questions about Clausen aren't about his mechanics or his knowledge of the game, it's about his intangibles. Can he play well with others? Cocky is good for a QB but too cocky is not. The 2011 draft is supposed to be QB rich and I say give TE one more chance and then draft a QB in 2011 or pick up a project with high upside (Dan LeFevour) in this draft. If TE fails and the new kid looks like he needs a lot of time then take a QB next year and use the 2010 draft pick for development and a possible trade later. JMO

I'd rather the Bills do whatever it takes to move up in the 2012 draft and use this draft to focus on trenches and lb'ers.

Easier said than done. Moving up is really hard to do. Especiallly if Gailey manages to get to, say 8 - 8 with a below-standard QB, something he might just be able to do with help from the schedule. Even 7 - 9 would put us out of reasonable moving-up range.

Which team looks better in the long run?

Anyone got tremendous confidence in Henne? If given the choice of taking the Falcons roster or the Dolphins, I'd take the Falcons in a second, because they have Matt Ryan.

that was exactly my point