I'm sold on who the Bills Draft at #9

Good thing you weren't the GM when:

Indy selected: Peyton Manning

N. Eng selected: Tom Brady (6th round)

Buffalo selected: Jim Kelly

Pittsburgh selected: Rothlesberger

San Fran. selected: Joe Montana (3rd round)

:)

Are you really comparing this year's class to those guys? B-)

How about these gems, then:

Oakland selected: JaMarcus Russell

Clevland selected: Brady Quinn

Arizona selected: Matt Leinart

Denver selected: Jay Cutler

49ers selected: Alex Smith

Washington selected: Jason Campbell

Buffalo selected: J.P. Losman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing you weren't the GM when:

Indy selected: Peyton Manning

N. Eng selected: Tom Brady

Buffalo selected: Jim Kelly

Pittsburgh selected: Rothlesberger Rapelisburger fixed that for ya also

San Fran. selected: Joe Montana

Now tell me just as quickly who were these teams OLT's.....woops, not quick enough! Would any of them have their

SuperBowl rings or AFC Championships with a Trent Edwards, Fitzy, or Brohm? We both know the answer to this question

and that is the reason you go for the QB!!!!!!!!!! You may have heard of the Tarkentons, Namaths, Youngs, and those Franchises were built around the QB!! Favre's etc...on and on.... Yes, OT'S are very important! but you can have a good offense with a marginal OLT ie: Blesdoes Bills the one year gave up 57 Sacks...about 10 more than last year yet was the 11th best offense in the NFL. 4,000+ yards passing...big time wr numbers and rb numbers...If the situation was reverse

and that team had J. Peters and T. Edwards the production would have been far less!!!! This is all true and would be difficult to dispute!!! Get a QB!!!!!!!!! B-)

I totally get see what you are getting at, but, uh, dude, brady was a 6th rd pick, and clearly one of the only exceptions to the rule, montana and warner being 2 of the others, but brady was def. a 6th rd pick soooooo, he's not the guy you want to use as an example.

The thing is, even if every top OT is still on the board at #9, Okung-Williams-Bulaga, the Bills still should take Clausen if he is there.

While I still think Trent Edwards can ultimately recover from the concussions and severe poundings he took the last few years on a Jauron team that didn't know how to protect him properly. Edwards may or may not recover and play well, as I see it the Bills need a QB that is fearless and unafraid to step into his throws.

Chan Gaily will build a good O line IMO, even if he doesn't have a premier LT like Jason Peters was when he played well. I feel he knows enough about protections and building an offense to get the job done with decent players because he will instruct them properly.

Right now the Bills should make every effort to find out which way Seattle @#6 and Cleveland @#7 are leaning so they can tab Clausen, trade up if necessary.

From everything I've read, Clausen should be drafted ahead of Sam Bradford

The thing is, even if every top OT is still on the board at #9, Okung-Williams-Bulaga, the Bills still should take Clausen if he is there.

While I still think Trent Edwards can ultimately recover from the concussions and severe poundings he took the last few years on a Jauron team that didn't know how to protect him properly. Edwards may or may not recover and play well, as I see it the Bills need a QB that is fearless and unafraid to step into his throws.

Chan Gaily will build a good O line IMO, even if he doesn't have a premier LT like Jason Peters was when he played well. I feel he knows enough about protections and building an offense to get the job done with decent players because he will instruct them properly.

Right now the Bills should make every effort to find out which way Seattle @#6 and Cleveland @#7 are leaning so they can tab Clausen, trade up if necessary.

From everything I've read, Clausen should be drafted ahead of Sam Bradford

I like MAD magazine's draft coverage too.

Are you really comparing this year's class to those guys? B-)

How about these gems, then:

Oakland selected: JaMarcus Russell

Clevland selected: Brady Quinn

Arizona selected: Matt Leinart

Denver selected: Jay Cutler

49ers selected: Alex Smith

Washington selected: Jason Campbell

Buffalo selected: J.P. Losman

I like MAD magazine's draft coverage too.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. does not think the Bills would select Clausen at No. 9. But Kiper is very high on Clausen and rates him ahead of Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, who is expected to go first overall to St. Louis.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/11/1015...ne-for-the.html

Yea, that silly draft analyst

Not the arguement I was making at all! There are draft failures at every position...Yeah, Your Tim Couch's etc...but it happens at OT as well...Just look at our own draft when we drafted Mike Williams OT higher than we are positioned now!

Or Robert Gallery OT who has not lived up to his billing...there are many more...Like I said that wasn't even my arguement if you "really" read what I posted.

It comes down to risk vs reward and which has the potential to give you the biggest bang for your buck and greatest

organizational reward! Again, Any of the QB's I mentioned cannot be overshadowed by a OT and you know this. That is why you didn't even attempt to answer the question that was out there to be answered!

When you take the best QB's of current and in the past 50 years, the QB was the General of the team, made it go! There

are so many players I didn't even mention like Ken Stabler, Roger Staubach, Bart Star, Warren Moon, etc...you can go on and on about the importance of a franchise QB. Maybe that's why Mark Sanchez's nickname for the Jets has already become "Sanchize".

Like I mentioned before, nobody discredits the importance of a good OLT, I would love to draft one of those as well: Bryan

Bulaga who may or may not end up as a LT. He may shift to RT exclusively. I don't like Anthony Davis from what I have

learned about his attitude and such. Trent Williams is versatile, but probably not as good as Bulaga at any one position..just more versatile on the line. So, yes I'd love an OT, Maybe even Saffold in the 2nd if we don't move back into

the 1st round, but the move to make is to SELECT Clausen at #9 if he is available! I have my doubts rather he will be there

and you may have to move up to #5 or #7 to get him...but that can be said for Bulaga or Williams as well.

I am not asking you to change your opinion, and I won't change mine...again, there are hits and busts at each position in the draft, but the best chance to change the direction your organization is headed is to draft a QB that your organization

believes can be the next franchise QB which we legitimely have not had since Jim Kelly got injured playing the Jacksonville

Jaguars.

History shows there is no disputing my point, unless your not going to really read and understand my post and instead

change the subject, and try to make another point instead of sticking to the points I outlined. Happy Mocking! B-)

I previously wanted the Bills to draft O line and LT with that #9, have since changed my mind.

Finally got some time to watch the NFL network "Path to the Draft" on Jimmy Clausens pro day.

Mike Mayock-Michael Lombardi- Bucky Brooks-Charles Davis all stated the kid is a top ten pick and has every ability needed to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Mike Mayock- stated the kid has phenomenal accuracy and deep touch. This with his foot at 85% as he is still recovering from an injury.

Michael Lombardi- stated-his work out was "exceptional", he looked better then Mark Sanchez did last year in his workout.

Charles Davis- stated considering he played all year on a bad foot and still put up very good numbers, very tough kid! Still doing his pro day workout with a foot at 85%.

Charlie Casserly Good workout with a lot of deep throws and very good ball speed. Better ball speed the Sam Bradford. Also stated although Chan Gailey wasn't in attendance for his pro day, Buddy Nix was.

Buckey Brooks- stated his talent is amazing, can make all the throws, good footwork.

Casserly-(Bradford or Clausen) Played in a "pro style" passing offense and called protections at the line, much more under center and called audibles. Better ball spin then Sam Bradford. 5 career 4th QTR comebacks at ND. The team was ranked over 100 when he got to ND and put them in the top ten.

Last seasons numbers 68.0 comp %, 3,722 YDS, 28 TD,4 INT

Thanks...have been wondering when it was our turn for Path to the Draft! I'll TIVO it!! B-)

All these analysts did was rave about how well his pro day went

Lets face it, like him ...or hate him... he is a franchise QB and the Bills should draft him if he is there.

The kid is supposed to have an attitude and be "cocky". I say good... he will need that attitude if he comes to Buffalo

**** Just FYI, Path to the Draft on Monday the 12th, they will put the Bills on the clock and discuss the teams needs****

If Clausen has the physical tools to win in the NFL, there isn't a team in need of a QB that wouldn't go for him. Questions about attitude and maturity don't mean a thing. The kid played tough, on a hurt foot, and led his team to come from behind victories, and ran for his life at times. On the field he has shown he's as mature and intelligent as he needs be. Now, it isn't for me to say whether those skills he possesses are good enough to win in the NFL. There is a guy who would know, though, better than anyone. As I see it, K.C. doesn't have a legitimate franchise QB. Why would they pass on Clausen if he is as good as advertised? Not to mention Seattle, Cleveland, Oakland... I just can't see Clausen being available to us at 9, and if he were to drop past K.C., and past the other teams, then to me that screams bust, or not as good as advertised. Because, you don't pass on a QB capable of being a franchise player - because there is no guarantee you'll get another shot - just look at how long we've needed one!

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. does not think the Bills would select Clausen at No. 9. But Kiper is very high on Clausen and rates him ahead of Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, who is expected to go first overall to St. Louis.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/11/1015...ne-for-the.html

Yea, that silly draft analyst

It was a joke.

But I don't really think Mel Kiper is too far removed from MAD magazine.

If Clausen has the physical tools to win in the NFL, there isn't a team in need of a QB that wouldn't go for him. Questions about attitude and maturity don't mean a thing. The kid played tough, on a hurt foot, and led his team to come from behind victories, and ran for his life at times. On the field he has shown he's as mature and intelligent as he needs be. Now, it isn't for me to say whether those skills he possesses are good enough to win in the NFL. There is a guy who would know, though, better than anyone. As I see it, K.C. doesn't have a legitimate franchise QB. Why would they pass on Clausen if he is as good as advertised? Not to mention Seattle, Cleveland, Oakland... I just can't see Clausen being available to us at 9, and if he were to drop past K.C., and past the other teams, then to me that screams bust, or not as good as advertised. Because, you don't pass on a QB capable of being a franchise player - because there is no guarantee you'll get another shot - just look at how long we've needed one!
Seattle just traded for Charlie Whitehurst and KC has big money tied up with Matt Casell.

The only team I worry about is Cleveland, My take is they will draft Clausen after dumping Brady Quinn. If the Bills really want the guy they had better move ahead of the Browns.