Someone please explain this to me

You are making this way too simple---you can not base stats size and 40 times, as only criteria for draft position. Sure it is important, but you have to know there is more to it. Obviously you watched Roosevelt routinely dominate at mac level, but you need to see Gilyard to realize what he is all about. At the pro level the difference is the ability to separate from the defender. Gilyard has explosiveness unlike anyone (other than maybe mccluster) in the draft. Taking nothing away from Roosevelt and it is not just big east vs mac, were talking about two straight BCS bowl games (sugar this year) vs the international bowl. How many mac db's are getting drafted, Roosevelt is a talent and to be thought about being drafted is quite an accomplishment. Another note is there have been questions regarding Roosevelt and his ability to use hands and catch the ball with proper technique that did not help his stock at all. I would not bet against the kid from making a team. Bottom line not fair to him to compare him to Gilyard, who quite frankly would be a first rounder if he had a little more size...you asked, hope that helps explain

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are making this way too simple---you can not base stats size and 40 times, as only criteria for draft position. Sure it is important, but you have to know there is more to it. Obviously you watched Roosevelt routinely dominate at mac level, but you need to see Gilyard to realize what he is all about. At the pro level the difference is the ability to separate from the defender. Gilyard has explosiveness unlike anyone (other than maybe mccluster) in the draft. Taking nothing away from Roosevelt and it is not just big east vs mac, were talking about two straight BCS bowl games (sugar this year) vs the international bowl. How many mac db's are getting drafted, Roosevelt is a talent and to be thought about being drafted is quite an accomplishment. Another note is there have been questions regarding Roosevelt and his ability to use hands and catch the ball with proper technique that did not help his stock at all. I would not bet against the kid from making a team. Bottom line not fair to him to compare him to Gilyard, who quite frankly would be a first rounder if he had a little more size...you asked, hope that helps explain

Solid, solid, solid points, Ronnie.

Nicely done, buddy.

:unsure:

Thank you.

I've watched Naaman almost every game the last 3 years and the kid is unbelievable. I have seen him get hit like by a Mack truck and still be holding the ball. Let me find some video of him.

You have to cue to 2:00 of the video to get past all the build-up BS. Unfortunately his most impressive catches were in 2008.

Greatest UB game ever. Take a look at the hit Naaman takes at 8:20 of this video. 20pt 4Q comeback and 2OT win to clinch a bowl game and a MAC title berth. I would not be upset if the Bills drafted James Starks either.

PTR

I wonder where Andre Reed was projected to go, coming out of Kutztown State way back when. Obviously not comparing this kid to the (should be) HOF WR, but he's durable, got great hands and comes from a small school. I'd love to see the Bills take a chance on him.

My 2 cents:

Like many career paths, in the NFL where you go to school matters. I am sure there are hundreds of players every year that are good enough to play in the NFL but never get the visibility, and dozens of Kurt Warner/Andre Reed/Fred Jackson/Jason Peters/Wes Welker types who would actually be stand out starters.

I guess the problem is you have very little time to assemble a roster and for every one good NFL caliber player in the UDFA category (solid performance from lower tier programs) there are scores which won’t make it. You have to rely on the filters that are in place (college level football) for the conventional ranking.

Hopefully you can find comfort in the trend which is, it seem after the 4th round all the projections fall off anyway as none of the experts tend to be accurate in the later rounds since the talent pool offers less distinction.

An honest man. Thank you bowery4.

Man, the kid was good if you had the chance to see him live. I mean really something.

One of my friends son played for UB, I went to a couple of games with him, Roosevelt stood out to me but he had a better year last yr IMO.

Think he is good enough to play in the pros, think somebody will give him a shot, depends if his agent has any pull to help him out.

BTW is does not matter where you play, look at Fred Jackson. If you dominate in your conference trust me teams will find you, to many scouts out there looking for talent.

My 2 cents:

Like many career paths, in the NFL where you go to school matters. I am sure there are hundreds of players every year that are good enough to play in the NFL but never get the visibility, and dozens of Kurt Warner/Andre Reed/Fred Jackson/Jason Peters/Wes Welker types who would actually be stand out starters.

I guess the problem is you have very little time to assemble a roster and for every one good NFL caliber player in the UDFA category (solid performance from lower tier programs) there are scores which won’t make it. You have to rely on the filters that are in place (college level football) for the conventional ranking.

Hopefully you can find comfort in the trend which is, it seem after the 4th round all the projections fall off anyway as none of the experts tend to be accurate in the later rounds since the talent pool offers less distinction.

That's why you have scouts. Anyone can find talent at the big time schools. The teams that have an edge find talent in the boondocks.

PTR

Gilyard is pretty spiffy after a catch, and is a fine kick returner. A heck of a decent young man, also.

Rah-rah video (Rude, obnoxious rap soundtrack - NSFW):

Nice personal interest videos:

WOW !!!!!! The NFL needs more guys like him he's a character dude all the way !!!!!!! The Bills would do good picking up some one like him that's not afraid to work for what he gets :unsure: !!!!

I've watched Naaman almost every game the last 3 years and the kid is unbelievable. I have seen him get hit like by a Mack truck and still be holding the ball. Let me find some video of him.

You have to cue to 2:00 of the video to get past all the build-up BS. Unfortunately his most impressive catches were in 2008.

Greatest UB game ever. Take a look at the hit Naaman takes at 8:20 of this video. 20pt 4Q comeback and 2OT win to clinch a bowl game and a MAC title berth. I would not be upset if the Bills drafted James Starks either.

PTR

Thanks PTR I agree that both Naaman and Starks should get a shot. For this old fart Alumn, UB "78", it warms my heart to see them playing again. During my time at UB the team wasn't active, but them making the second bowl game in UB history that year was gratifying, especially because of the circumstances surrounding the first bowl birth. My kids grew up here in South Florida, but they love Buffalo. My oldest flew to Buffalo at 10 years old, my Uncle and Aunt picked him up at the airport and took him straight to the Rich. What did he say, "the land of my dreams!!!"

My youngest goes to UCF in Orlando now and he went to the UB game this past Fall. Guess what he was wearing... a UB sweatshirt that we got at the bookstore out at the Elicott Complex in 2003!!! When people started to ask him where he got the sweatshirt, he told them if it wasn't for UB he and his brother wouldn't be here, because, I met my sweetheart (their Mom), at UB during the Blizzard in 1977.

So thanks guys for anything you bring up about UB, we all enjoy it and Go Bulls, Go Bills!!!!

Until recently, namely Greg Jennings, the MAC has a history of accomplished WR's who fail in the NFL. There are actually tons of them. Most recently, when everyone on this board tried to seem intelligent, and champion Martin Nance as the next big thing, he failed. Dante Ridgeway of Ball State was a Biletnekoff (I think that's the WR award) finalist, and he failed after several stints with various NFL teams. The spread offense in the MAC took over when Urban Meyer landed in Bowling Green and many teams in the MAC started to run a variation of it. Various MAC wideouts have put up big numbers in recent years. They almost all fail in the NFL. And a lot of them were in camps or drafted. Namely offenses in Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Ball State, Toledo, Western Michigan, and Miami have been dominant in the last 8 years or so, but hardly any of their skill players made it in the NFL except QB.

The MAC, despite some good numbers by wideouts, hasn't produced a lot of good WR's, period. Roosevelt is probably no exception. I think there is one more, but basically Greg Jennings and Lance Moore are two that are quite good, although Moore's body of work is not all that large.

All in all, the numbers look quite comparable to me, but the league, and I love the MAC, isn't close. I guess that's where the stats can make a difference. Their have been a gazillion MAC WR's with good numbers since the introduction of the spread, but not many, actually hardly any have stuck in the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...
Start with the sole. :thumbsup:

and I love that we got Roosevelt. He is a flat out playmaker. He put up 157 and 2 tds against a top 15 Pitt team. This could be a steal.

I've seen him hold onto balls after getting hit by a bus. He is the definition of a possession receiver.

PTR

Will this guy make the team?

I'm betting he will at least make the practice squad. He's not real big or fast but he has hands of glue, and he will sacrifice himself to make a catch.

Pretty cool Nix jumped on that.

Not surprising in one way since UB uses the Bills fieldhouse for practice. Nix could walk down the hall and watch these guys practice, so no doubt he knows what Naaman can do.

PTR