Draft Rank: 365

Pos. Rank: 43

Ht: 6-0

Wt: 189

40 Time: 4.60

Career Rec: 268

Career TDs: 29

Proj. Draft: They are hiring at Geico

I know there is a difference between the Big East and the MAC, but come on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of mid- and low-level college talent never get drafted because of where they play. The reasoning is, you have to be totally dominating at your level and show you're head and shoulders above your competition, which scouts and teams then can say "Man, this could should be playing at Penn State, not Buffalo." When they make that determination, I think then they get drafted.

And I will say this, stats are somewhat meaningless in that comparison. Game tape is critical to determine a WR's abilities to shed coverage, make tough catches, run precise routes, etc.

Thats my little cousin he's hella talented man, im sure he will get in the nfl... its pretty !@#$ed up they say he will be wrkin at geico with the numbers he put up last year with drew willy at the helm no matter what division u play in those were really good stats

Thats my little cousin he's hella talented man, im sure he will get in the nfl... its pretty !@#$ed up they say he will be wrkin at geico with the numbers he put up last year with drew willy at the helm no matter what division u play in those were really good stats

Either way, with those metrics they're both destined for practice squads, special teams if they're lucky. Assuming one or both of them don't totally out play their facade.

Mardy Gilyard

Gilyard is pretty spiffy after a catch, and is a fine kick returner. A heck of a decent young man, also.

Rah-rah video (Rude, obnoxious rap soundtrack - NSFW):

Nice personal interest videos:

Mardy Gilyard

WR

Cincinnati

Draft Rank: 105

Pos. Rank: 12

Wt: 187

40 time: 4.61

Career Rec.: 204

Career TDs: 25

Proj. Draft: 3rd Round

Naaman Roosevelt

WR

Buffalo

Draft Rank: 365

Pos. Rank: 43

Wt: 189

40 Time: 4.60

Career Rec: 268

Career TDs: 29

Proj. Draft: They are hiring at Geico

If they switched teams and Roosevelt got to play with Pike in that offense last year, he'd be considered a 3rd rounder. NR is going to make a team and make some plays in this league. He attacks the ball, is good after the catch, and is still growing into the position (only player wr for 4 years). If the Bills took a flyer on him late in the draft, I won't mind that one bit.

If they switched teams and Roosevelt got to play with Pike in that offense last year, he'd be considered a 3rd rounder. NR is going to make a team and make some plays in this league. He attacks the ball, is good after the catch, and is still growing into the position (only player wr for 4 years). If the Bills took a flyer on him late in the draft, I won't mind that one bit.

Looks like he will have to catch on as a UDFA . Other than Haddad's few games, and LB Gerry Philbin and QB Stofa, I can't recall another UB player that was on an NFL roster for any length of time.

Looks like he will have to catch on as a UDFA . Other than Haddad's few games, and LB Gerry Philbin and QB Stofa, I can't recall another UB player that was on an NFL roster for any length of time.

http://www.nfl.com/players/trevorscott/profile?id=SCO719246 - Dude had 7 sacks last year

http://www.nfl.com/players/jameyrichard/profile?id=RIC215694 - Started 7 games at Center for the colts in 08

perhaps route running

level of competition faced

types of routes player ran in college

willing to go over the middle

catches with vs catches with body

quickness

shiftiness (is that a real word?)

RAC

could be lots of factors

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Gilyard posted those stats against teams like Pitt, Oregon St, South Florida, UConn, and West Virginia. And Roosevelt put those kinds of numbers up against teams like Akron, Central Michigan, Bowling Green, and Kent State

In his Junior year i believe Naaman was the third leading receiver in the nation. As a senior, with a sophomore QB getting his nose dirty for the first time and no Stark all season (a proj 4th rdr this year who ran for 1300 yds in 08) he still caught 63 balls and i believe 9 tds.

That's impressive regardless of what conference you are in.

BTW, i did not show a discrepancy between guys rated 12 and 20...it was 12 and 43 rated receivers.

and i've seen lesser talent from even UB get picked up.

If Roosevelt falls to the later rounds, Buffalo would be stupid not to take him. Every big program coach raved about Roosevelt when they played UB over the past few seasosn. I clearly remember Dave Wandstedt saying Roosevelt will be making big plays come Sunday and how his PITT team could only hope to contain him.

He's got the hands, he's got the speed and he has a knack for finding the end zone wherever he is on the field. I don't care that he played in the MAC. This kid would have been top 5 WR if he played in a bigger conference.

Here's my thoughts:

He was just as good against Pitt, Missouri and Penn State, IMO.

He makes great ball adjustments which is a great skill to have. It allows him to play "bigger" than he is.

I thought James Hardy looked very weak in this regard, moslty giving away his size advantage.

I read some mixed reviews of his Shrine game practice sessions. Route running was mentioned as a weakness. I wonder if having knee surgery at the end of his 2009 season could have lessened his cutting ability a couple months later. He has no problem getting open in the MAC.

Body catches were also mentioned. If the throw is on the body I think that is the best way to make the catch. It is secured quicker and it's not as likely to be an INT. If it's not on the body then the hands need to snatch the ball on the run. From what I saw he has no prblem doing that at all.

He is smart, has great hands, and is not a prima donna, WR headcase. With more upperbody mass/strenghth he can see the field in the NFL.

I think he will draw an NFL paycheck in 2010 if only as a practice squad player.

He played for a previously undistinguished program like UB in a non-BCS conference. Otherwise Naaman was a huge reason why Buffalo won a MAC title. The guy catches everything, even after getting tattooed going over the middle. He could be our new Josh Reed. Anyone who brings Naaman will be glad they did.

I should also mention another UB kid who popped eyeballs at his pro day: Safety Mike Newton. Scouts were asking aloud why he wasn't invited to the combine.

PTR