Jim Kelly speaks on Tebow

icecold

"Just because I’m a former quarterback, people think I can just tell from being around a guy (if he has what it takes to be a successful NFL quarterback),” Kelly said. “But I need to watch him go through a drill and make all the throws. I need to really study him before I could say whether he should be a first-round pick. Now, a second-rounder, I’d be OK with that, but I don’t have enough information on (Tebow) to say they should use the No. 9 pick on him........."

full link http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/03/52544/?utm..._medium=twitter

Thanks for posting.

Interesting blurb. I didn't know Kelly was being paid by the Bills as an "official ambassador."

Seems definitely like he's backpedaling on his earlier comments about Tebow. Could there have been internal conversations between Kelly and Nix?

Might this be a smokescreen or sincere second thoughts?

I think based on some of the media comments that were made, there has been a lot of hype that the Bills were interested in Tebow. Whether they were ever considering him with the #9 pick, which seems very unlikely, or not, showing that you are too interested in a player is never a good thing. Particularly when he has other visits lined up, and considering how badly Jacksonville needs to sell tickets to avoid being sent to LA. The more I have seen and read about Tebow, the more I think the Bills are going to draft him the second round. I suspect that if we do that we will trade back into the second round to get one of the remaining NTs as well, thus filling three of our four biggest needs on the team in the first round. I would be all right with drafting Tebow in the second round at 41, but not at #9, no matter how much the team likes him. he is too much of a risk and a project when we have so many positions where we need impact players now.

I see rare unanimity: with a few exceptions, most, including me, are OK with picking Tebow at 41, but not at 9. That's assuming we didn't get lucky with either Clauson or Bradford still being on the board at 9. That said, I don't see Tebow being on the board at 41. So, if none of these three are available to solve our qb problem, we really are where Coach Gailey says we are--forced to (try to) upgrade one of our guys.

The guy has the build and the experience, but has never played in cold weather to my knowledge. One of our advantages is Buffalo in Nov-Jan. We need to work what ever advantages we have or just build a dome...

Guest dog14787

I think Kelly brought up the idea of picking Tebow in the 1st round to gauge the amount of interest folks have in Tebow and to get them warmed up to the idea.

I honestly don't think Tebow makes it to the 41st overall pick, so for us to obtain Tebow we will trade back a few spots or take him with our 9th pick.

The problem is no way he makes it past the Jags and the Bills know it. He would be instant ticket sales to them hense worth their first rounder which I think is just behind us at 10

Dude, Jacksonville won't take Tebow at 10. He might go in the late first round to a team like Minnesota or if someone traded up from the second round to the bottom of the first and that's a MIGHT; top ten of the second round more likely. Bills will not take him at 9. A guy who is a project will not sell tickets for any team if he's sitting on the bench. All this hype will die down when it's actually time for teams to hand in their selection card. He's too risky to blow a high number one pick on.

But if the Bills take him in the second round I wouldn't be surprised to see Tebow running a spread offense next season as the starter.

Thanks for posting.

Interesting blurb. I didn't know Kelly was being paid by the Bills as an "official ambassador."

Seems definitely like he's backpedaling on his earlier comments about Tebow. Could there have been internal conversations between Kelly and Nix?

Jim Kelly doesn't know how to backpedal. He never once said that he would be a great QB. He said that Tebow is a class act and a great guy. Where is the backpedaling? The only reason he is bothering to make a reply is because of all the hype surrounding the dinner he had with the kid.

Guest dog14787
The problem is no way he makes it past the Jags and the Bills know it. He would be instant ticket sales to them hense worth their first rounder which I think is just behind us at 10

I also think the Jags will go for Tebow in the first.

Maybe they're trying to give Jax the jitters and make them jump ahead of us to take him in the 1st. That'd make some other nice talent fall to us. Won't happen though. NE* will take him with their 2nd 1st rounder.

Jim Kelly doesn't know how to backpedal. He never once said that he would be a great QB. He said that Tebow is a class act and a great guy. Where is the backpedaling? The only reason he is bothering to make a reply is because of all the hype surrounding the dinner he had with the kid.

I'm referring to the fact that Kelly has been pretty effusive in his praise of Tebow. He talks of him as a top 3 quarterback in this draft and implies that he's a franchise quarterback.

He then had dinner with him.

What I mean by backpedaling and what you mean by backpedaling might be two different things.

Following Kelly's comments about Tebow, there was a small media firestorm that Kelly was a big Tebow backer.

So his comments in the link provided in this thread serve to dampen this firestorm that the Bills are hot for Tebow. If you don't think that's backpedaling, we'll agree to disagree. But I won't argue with you. Better things to do.

As another poster stated the Jags are not going to take Tebow at 10. They might make a deal to get a second round pick and then take him. I don't see any team taking him in the first round.

I don't want Tebow...I've stated this a million times before...I don't care if Jim Kelly says he's the best or not...because while Kelly was a great QB, he is not a scout...

That aside, I will say again if we exit this draft without Bulaga or Okung...we've failed miserably...

With that, if we happen to not have to move up to get Bulaga, then I don't mind Tebow at 41 because I believe we can get linval Joseph in the 3rd and we're pretty much good to go and got everything we really needed minus an edge rusher...but we do have Maybin and he MIGHT turn out to be something special at OLB...we'll have to see...but if we fail to get a dominating NT and a top notch LT...our GM and FO SUCK PERIOD

I don't want Tebow...I've stated this a million times before...I don't care if Jim Kelly says he's the best or not...because while Kelly was a great QB, he is not a scout...

That aside, I will say again if we exit this draft without Bulaga or Okung...we've failed miserably...

With that, if we happen to not have to move up to get Bulaga, then I don't mind Tebow at 41 because I believe we can get linval Joseph in the 3rd and we're pretty much good to go and got everything we really needed minus an edge rusher...but we do have Maybin and he MIGHT turn out to be something special at OLB...we'll have to see...but if we fail to get a dominating NT and a top notch LT...our GM and FO SUCK PERIOD

Okay, wait a second. I agree that if Bulaga is there for us at #9, he is the obvious pick. He fills a need with a long term quality starter in college, which is exactly what Nix has said he and his draft team look for. A guy who has been consistently good. I also think that the Bills are going to take a QB, and likely Tebow in the second. Now, why you wouldn't want a guy with Tebow's leadership ability and playmaking ability is beyond me. He certainly has better intangibles than Jimmy Clausen. I'm not saying Tebow is the best QB in the draft. He's not, but he's better than what we have now and the guy knows how to win.

As for Linval Joseph being the answer at NT, I don't think so for two big reasons. First, he played in a really pathetic college football conference against average competition and second his stats were not any better playing against that significantly weaker competition than Dan Williams, another 3-4 NT prospect. Joseph's stats were as follows per ESPN.

2009: 59 Tackles 3 Sacks 0 FF 0 INT.

You said that Dan Williams from TENN is a bum in one of your other posts and would want nothing to do with him because he was only good at Tennessee for one year. Look at Williams' 2009 stats playing against the best college football competition in the country down in the SEC.

2009: 62 Tackles 2 Sacks 0 FF 0 INT.

If Williams is a bum in your opinion, how can you say that Joseph is the answer? His stats are worse against lesser competition. Seriously? Getting him in the third would be good? I'd rather draft Cam Thomas in the second and get LeFevour for the QB position in the third and see how he did in TC with the new offense. Thomas was consistent at UNC, and while I hate Carolina being an NC State grad, he was very good against above average competition.

Linval Joseph is not going to be a stud in the NFL. He's going to be a back up rotational player, much like McCargo was. If Buffalo is serious about drafting an NT this year, they better go after one of the top three: Williams, Cody, or Thomas. After that, the talent seriously slides.

I think the FO will get talent, though I trust Nix and Chan as talent evaluators more than your unsubstantiated opinion. I won't say they suck until I see the product they put on the field. But rest easy, I think they will take Bulaga in the first, and will go after either Tebow or a solid NT prospect with their second rounder.

i dont see tebow falling out of the 1st round. if they think he is worth it than they should trade down the 9 pick pick and get a 2nd or 3rd and then trade back up into the 1st round to take tebow.

Heard this today on Sportscenter. Tebow now likely to go in the 20's of round 1.

Thanks for posting.

I have heard that Kelly has been on the Bills payroll for years....250k +

I also think the Jags will go for Tebow in the first.

If he does make it past the Jags by some fluke he will never make it past The Pats . Bellichek had dinner with Teabow too & The Pats work from a spread type Offense at times and they would have the luxury of setting him for 3 or 4 years to learn from one of the best . So if we really want to get him i think there will be a lot of P*ssed off Bills fans cause the only place he may be available for the taking is at 9 .

If he does make it past the Jags by some fluke he will never make it past The Pats . Bellichek had dinner with Teabow too & The Pats work from a spread type Offense at times and they would have the luxury of setting him for 3 or 4 years to learn from one of the best . So if we really want to get him i think there will be a lot of P*ssed off Bills fans cause the only place he may be available for the taking is at 9 .

i would love if the pats took tebow. they have holes to fill on their team and qb is not one of them. i could however see them trade up to get spiller

i would love if the pats took tebow. they have holes to fill on their team and qb is not one of them. i could however see them trade up to get spiller

That is a good point, I don't see them drafting Tebow that high when they don't have to address that position for another few years.

I think based on some of the media comments that were made, there has been a lot of hype that the Bills were interested in Tebow. Whether they were ever considering him with the #9 pick, which seems very unlikely, or not, showing that you are too interested in a player is never a good thing. Particularly when he has other visits lined up, and considering how badly Jacksonville needs to sell tickets to avoid being sent to LA. The more I have seen and read about Tebow, the more I think the Bills are going to draft him the second round. I suspect that if we do that we will trade back into the second round to get one of the remaining NTs as well, thus filling three of our four biggest needs on the team in the first round. I would be all right with drafting Tebow in the second round at 41, but not at #9, no matter how much the team likes him. he is too much of a risk and a project when we have so many positions where we need impact players now.

Well good for us just to get it over then and just draft him at nine and make sure Jacksonville moves to LA and not us. It would be a pretty slick move by Russ.

A while ago I thought the Bills might really go for Tebow. Now, after considering a few things, I don't think they will. For one, if he isn't ready to play for a year or two, whichever team drafts him will have to pay probably 2nd round, or even late 1st round money to a guy who isn't going to do much but learn for a few years. I can't see Buffalo spending a million on a guy who isn't going to play for a few years, especially considering they'd have to give up the chance of drafting someone who would play at another position, or a QB like McCoy... another thing - if the Bills wanted to draft Tebow, they'd probably be keeping their interest as quiet as possible. Having Jim Kelly take him out to dinner screams a ploy to make it look like they're interested. If they want a guy, they aren't going to want anyone to know they like him - so, I'm more inclined to think of players that few people are aware that they brought in, or went to look at; guys like Terrance Cody or Skelton. Just giving my reasons for thinking he won't be targeted by us.